Stuff you dislike about the EU?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Merchant
For me personally would be the following:

Rakatan Empire, Kwa, pretty much any pre-Republic era race. The thing with Precursor races is that it really doesn't fit with Star Wars, and the Ancient is better idea is really cliche. Good thing that they didn't just flat out make those species as being more advanced than the Republic and Empire. Celestials I'm iffy on, I rather them be just force exclusive rather then them using technology.

TOR era. Note that this doesn't include KOTOR or TOTJ, although I assume most people know this. TOR story is pretty weak, it's just a mesh of a bunch of stuff that already happened in the EU and movies. Heck, if Dark Empire was written when we had a much clearer definition of what a Sith is the whole thing would pretty much resemble Vitiate's Sith Empire, since that's how TOR Sith Empire is written except they freely call everyone with a Lightsaber Sith.

TOTJ era. This stuff is pretty forgettable even though I know a lot of people seem to think it's some of the better stuff from the EU. Honestly I don't see what's so great about it. The majority of the characters don't do anything and just die in a later issue. Most of them aren't really memorable either outside of Qel-Droma and Kun and that's simply because they had the most time shown in the series. Kun and Qel-Droma came off more as bullies rather then actually advancing with their plans, Droma and Kun have really dumb reasons why they turned to the Darkside. All in all it's not that great.

FreshestSlice
Pretty much anything involving clones.

Darth Abonis
The overload of CLone Wars and Rebellion era material.

PTforthewin
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Pretty much anything involving clones. Clones are awesome whats your problem?

PTforthewin
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
The overload of CLone Wars and Rebellion era material. whats wrong with that? There's more TOR stuff then CW era and rebellion era stuff.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by PTforthewin
Clones are awesome whats your problem?
I'm sorry we don't have the same opinion. Did you know Jaden Korr was a clone? Because he just had to be one.

Darth Abonis
whats wrong with that? There's more TOR stuff then CW era and rebellion era stuff.

Too much to tell in a 3-4 year timeframe. SWTOR has all the time in the world to be stupid.

PTforthewin
I'm sorry we don't have the same opinion. Did you know Jaden Korr was a clone? Because he just had to be one. i agree I can't stand playing a 13 year old, especially in a star wars game.

deathslash
I don't like that we don't really know what happened to Revan.

NewGuy01
KOTOR II was really bad.

Stealth Moose
Lol.

PTforthewin
Originally posted by NewGuy01
KOTOR II was really bad. JK was a better series

Stealth Moose
Wow. That's just ridiculous.

Lord Stark
JK was a better series

laughing

NewGuy01
Better than KOTOR II? Hell yes it was.

The rest of the KOTOR/SWTOR series is definitely far better than JK though.

Nephthys
Hell no it wasn't.

NewGuy01
KOTOR II was boring as a game, and has ridiculously bad villains. And with new material, it also has more inconsistencies than practically anything else.

Nephthys
I literally cannot comprehend what the **** you just said. Other than a general feeling of sheer loathing.

NewGuy01
Umad

Nephthys
Yes. I actually am.

Stealth Moose
Yeah, that doesn't even make sense.

NewGuy01
What doesn't?

PTforthewin
Originally posted by Nephthys
Hell no it wasn't. jedi academy and outcast > kotor 2

Stealth Moose
What doesn't?

KotOR II being bad. It's not perfect, but it blows JK away.

jedi academy and outcast > kotor 2

Lol no.

Tzeentch
I dislike how the Force is treated in the EU, and as a result pretty much everything involving Force-users.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
KotOR II being bad. It's not perfect, but it blows JK away.

I liked the first KotOR more, but even after trying multiple times I've never been able to get into the sequel. It was really a chore attempting to get into the meat of the story, though I'm sure it got better from then on. Even so, just concepts like Darth Nihilus and the like were trashy to start with, and they just don't fit in with the rest of the mythos very smoothly.

I easily got more enjoyment out of Jedi Outcast than what I played of Knights2, even if it technically is the better made game. Simple doesn't mean worse, even if KotOR2 became far more enjoyable once you get to a certain point, if the first several hours of gameplay are a boring chore then how is that a good game?

PTforthewin
The jedi knight games had a way better combat system. I got ****ing annoyed spamming several abilities. And ****ing use a pause buttin

NewGuy01
That was not the problem, that's above standard for games of it's genre.

Stealth Moose
I liked the first KotOR more, but even after trying multiple times I've never been able to get into the sequel. It was really a chore attempting to get into the meat of the story, though I'm sure it got better from then on. Even so, just concepts like Darth Nihilus and the like were trashy to start with, and they just don't fit in with the rest of the mythos very smoothly.

I easily got more enjoyment out of Jedi Outcast than what I played of Knights2, even if it technically is the better made game. Simple doesn't mean worse, even if KotOR2 became far more enjoyable once you get to a certain point, if the first several hours of gameplay are a boring chore then how is that a good game?

Have you played Morrowind? Lol.

Lord Lucien

I easily got more enjoyment out of Jedi Outcast than what I played of Knights2, even if it technically is the better made game. Simple doesn't mean worse, even if KotOR2 became far more enjoyable once you get to a certain point, if the first several hours of gameplay are a boring chore then how is that a good game? Ermagawd...

Someone who agrees with me. I never thought this day would arrive. *sniff*

Originally posted by Tzeentch
I dislike how the Force is treated in the EU, and as a result pretty much everything involving Force-users. Also this. This and the clones. The clones are boring.

PTforthewin
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Ermagawd...

Someone who agrees with me. I never thought this day would arrive. *sniff*

Also this. This and the clones. The clones are boring. no they're not

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Have you played Morrowind? Lol.

I have, though I always found myself messing around more than trying to get through the game with its lack of intuitive navigation.

Nephthys
I know, right? I can't play those games without using gamefaqs to guide me to quests and loot. Just wandering around feels so aimless.

chilled monkey
One thing I really dislike about the EU is Prequelisation. That's one reason I've never much liked KOTOR.

One of the things that made TOTJ awesome is that it actually looked and felt like it took place 4000 years before the movies. The ships were clunkier and looked more low-tech, so did the lightsabres etc. Then comes along KOTOR (which takes place not that long after TOTJ) and suddenly everything looks like a PT-era knock-off.

The worst thing though was what happened with the Jedi. In TOTJ the Jedi of that era are clearly different than those of the PT era. They dress differently, they operate differently etc. That makes sense; 4000 years is plenty of time for changes to occur.

And again, KOTOR comes along and suddenly the Jedi are just copies of the PT era, wearing the same brown robes and spewing platitudes about no attachments, no emotions etc. It's boring and stupid.

To be fair I understand game designers wanting to emulate the movies. They want to appeal to as many people as possible and most people will only be familiar with the movies. Fair enough but surely they could have set it earlier to allow for such changes to be made.

As I said, prequelisation makes the Star Wars EU less interesting and "smaller" as a whole. I also dislike how it misses the point of the PT in that the Jedi of the PT were WRONG in their attitudes. This is shown very clearly in the OT. Treating the PT's view of how Jedi "should" be as the correct method is a complete mistake.

PTforthewin
Yeah that's why I hated the kotor games

chilled monkey
Yeah that's why I hated the kotor games

Thanks.

Originally posted by The Merchant
TOR era. Note that this doesn't include KOTOR or TOTJ, although I assume most people know this. TOR story is pretty weak, it's just a mesh of a bunch of stuff that already happened in the EU and movies. Heck, if Dark Empire was written when we had a much clearer definition of what a Sith is the whole thing would pretty much resemble Vitiate's Sith Empire, since that's how TOR Sith Empire is written except they freely call everyone with a Lightsaber Sith.

See, that's why I like the TOR era. It's a rich, dynamic era because it mixes a bunch of stuff together to get something better than the sum of its parts.

All I know is that when I first wrote a Star Wars fanfic, it was set in the TOR era. I think that says something.

Originally posted by The Merchant
TOTJ era. This stuff is pretty forgettable even though I know a lot of people seem to think it's some of the better stuff from the EU. Honestly I don't see what's so great about it. The majority of the characters don't do anything and just die in a later issue. Most of them aren't really memorable either outside of Qel-Droma and Kun and that's simply because they had the most time shown in the series. Kun and Qel-Droma came off more as bullies rather then actually advancing with their plans, Droma and Kun have really dumb reasons why they turned to the Darkside. All in all it's not that great.

TOTJ is awesome. What makes it great is that it really seems different from other eras and that makes it refreshing. The Jedi in particular show this very clearly.

Exar Kun was a great character and is one of my favourite Sith Lords for a number of reasons:

1) He actually shows some humour on occasion. Plus he still held some respect for his former Master, acknowledging that Vodo would be a powerful ally. This makes him far more 3D than most Sith.

2) He had style. He didn't just wear black robes all the time.

3) He used a blue lightsabre even after going dark. True, TOTJ was written before prequelisation came along but even then red was still the most prevalent among bad guy lightsabres.

Pretty much anything involving clones.

Originally posted by Lord Lucian
The clones are boring.

Not necessarily. Luuke was great. I love "hero vs. his doppelganger" stories.

Plus the Dark Apprentice from TFUII was an awesome idea. I like the idea of two clones, one a hero because he has the same spirit as the original, one a villain because he rejects it.

Also from TFUII, the aberrant clones were amazing. I like the variation of the hero having to fight a twisted, nightmarish army of his own duplicates.

FreshestSlice
Clones are both contrived and nonsensical, especially in a story where having the same DNA does not mean that you will have the same Force Potential. You seem to like the hero facing themselves, which is something that if done well is nice. However, that same thing happening over and over again is far from dynamic. And when it curbstomps the continuity, I really don't care what message is trying to get across. Clones became the twist of Star Wars, one that I hated.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by chilled monkey
Not necessarily. Luuke was great. I love "hero vs. his doppelganger" stories.

Plus the Dark Apprentice from TFUII was an awesome idea. I like the idea of two clones, one a hero because he has the same spirit as the original, one a villain because he rejects it.

Also from TFUII, the aberrant clones were amazing. I like the variation of the hero having to fight a twisted, nightmarish army of his own duplicates. Sorry, not cloning in general; the Clones. Capital 'c'. The Fett shit.

Although TFU II and it's rehashed character sucked too. Everything about that game was awful (except for the yelling).

PTforthewin
Sorry, not cloning in general; the Clones. Capital 'c'. The Fett shit.

Although TFU II and it's rehashed character sucked too. Everything about that game was awful (except for the yelling). do you hate Star Wars or something

Lord Lucien
You've asked that already.

PTforthewin
You've asked that already. I know but do you?

Emperordmb
For once I actually agree with PTforthewin. Lord Lucien seems to get pissed off about almost everything in Star Wars.

PTforthewin
Originally posted by Emperordmb
For once I actually agree with PTforthewin. Lord Lucien seems to get pissed off about almost everything in Star Wars. because he's a "veteran" Star Wars fan and hates everything new about it

PTforthewin
You've asked that already. are you HelloGreedo?

Lord Lucien
Most of the EU that gets talked about now is TOR or TCW. I dislike both of those. Half of the films are utterly appalling. Many of the novels are tripe and uninteresting. Ditto the comics.

A lot of the Star Wars franchise, is crap.

WildBantha88
Most of the EU that gets talked about now is TOR or TCW. I dislike both of those. Half of the films are utterly appalling. Many of the novels are tripe and uninteresting. Ditto the comics.

A lot of the Star Wars franchise, is crap. Then move onto another franchise?

Lord Lucien
Kinda have.

WildBantha88
Kinda have. your still here sooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Lord Lucien
What, you abandon something you've enjoyed all your life just because it has bad elements?

F*ck that.

WildBantha88
What, you abandon something you've enjoyed all your life just because it has bad elements?

F*ck that. That's what I do with my girlfriends so yea. :P

Lord Lucien
I'd quote Sir-Mix-Alot right now, but all those girls are beneath me.

Tzeentch
You've never had a girlfriend though, Bantha.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.