Kishimoto did not originally plan for Tobi to be Obito

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth _Sadow1
So I discovered something that most of you will say is obvious, but I'll say it anyway. I am convinced that Kishimoto did not plan for Tobi to be Obito originally. My proof comes from episode 142 where Obito takes off his mask in front of Kisame. The camera shows his chin briefly, and I noticed that there were no scars on his right side, where there should have been. Either that, or the shot was so quick that the animators didn't see the point in throwing it in.

Q99
Note, *Kishimoto* did not show a lack of scars, the *animators* did.

The animators have been known to make minor errors before, because why would you ask 'hey, in this shot, should we show scars?'.

NewGuy01
Nah, he planned for it to be Obito from the start undoubtedly. From the start he's had the whole mysterious intrigue thing with Kakashi, and he was able to resist the Kamui back after Sasuke killed Danzo. Not to mention that from a writer's standpoint, Obito was the only choice of the bunch who's revelation would have any meaning to our protagonist's.

I had a pretty ****ing rockin' Kagami theory back in the day though, it honestly made much more sense than the actual one.

yungz22
Originally posted by Darth _Sadow1
So I discovered something that most of you will say is obvious, but I'll say it anyway. I am convinced that Kishimoto did not plan for Tobi to be Obito originally. My proof comes from episode 142 where Obito takes off his mask in front of Kisame. The camera shows his chin briefly, and I noticed that there were no scars on his right side, where there should have been. Either that, or the shot was so quick that the animators didn't see the point in throwing it in.

The manga is the source material and it comes out first.

The anime is based of the source material but every once in a while they make mistakes that go against the source material. The things you see in the anime have to be taken with a grain of salt

NemeBro
Tobi was so obviously Obito that it seemed too obvious to be true.

marwash22
^ yeah.

literally everyone thought Tobi was Obito, but figured a writer wouldn't be so transparent.

Darth _Sadow1
I had to replay the scene where he revealed himself to Kisame, and I wanted to see if there was any of Obito's scars there. I thought it was Obito too from the beginning, since otherwise there was no point to introduce him and Rin in Kakashi Gaiden if they had no role.

NewGuy01
Eh, it was what I originally believed but until a couple dozen chapters before the reveal I had made a Kagami theory that seemed pretty solid at the time.

Not only because of his appearance, but because he lived in at a time where him knowing Madara and yet still being alive would have been possible, he was a student of Tobirama who was one of the best time/space ninjutsu users in the series, and of the squad that was with the second when he died, only he and Danzou weren't present during the Nine Tails attack, which led me to believe it was a conspiracy to rid Danzou of the Fourth Hokage so he could build his power base. There's also the little things, like Danzou not being intimidated by Tobi and almost speaking with him familiarly, and the fact that "Tobi" could have been a play on the word "Tobirama". Hell, I even thought that Obito was a possible relative of Kagami's, and thus his death as a result of the third Shinobi World War could have sparked his obsession with Project Tsuki no me Keikaku.

While it's really irrelevant now, I think out of all the theories, the Kagami theory would have been the most believable next to the more obvious Obito.

Q99
Kagami worked in many respects except a key one: He was far too minor.

NemeBro
Who the **** is Kagami?

AuraAngel
Read the chapter where Danzo dies to see him.

yungz22
Who didnt know it was obito lol it was so obvious that wed all be surprised it wasnt him.

Just like we all knew the 4th was narutos father

And that most figured kaguya would show up sometime or another

Q99
Originally posted by NemeBro
Who the **** is Kagami?

Uchiha on Danzo's team.

If they had Danzo talk about him more it could possibly have been swung, but as-is, just too minor.

Based
Originally posted by marwash22
^ yeah.

literally everyone thought Tobi was Obito, but figured a writer wouldn't be so transparent.

Actually many people argued vehemently it couldn't be Obito because it's too obvious. And there was a decent faction that didn't think it made sense.

I remember getting into many arguments...

Astner
Kishimoto didn't decide on the ending until after the Pain arc.

Either way, Zetsu didn't know who Tobi was when he was first introduced. Which is kind of odd considering the backstory.

Darth _Sadow1
Originally posted by Astner
Kishimoto didn't decide on the ending until after the Pain arc.

Either way, Zetsu didn't know who Tobi was when he was first introduced. Which is kind of odd considering the backstory.
Yes he did. He was playing along with Tobi's goofy facade'

Astner
Yes he did. He was playing along with Tobi's goofy facade'
For whom? It was only Tobi and Zetsu there. Zetsu was even hesitant to let Tobi join the Akatsuki at that point.

dadudemon
Originally posted by NemeBro
Tobi was so obviously Obito that it seemed too obvious to be true.

Originally posted by marwash22
^ yeah.

Ditto.

The same thing happened with "Who is Naruto's Father?" because everyone knew it was the 4th Hokage.

Q99
Originally posted by Astner
For whom? It was only Tobi and Zetsu there. Zetsu was even hesitant to let Tobi join the Akatsuki at that point.

White Zetsu was. Black wasn't (iirc).

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Q99
Kagami worked in many respects except a key one: He was far too minor.

Yeah, that the ultimate weakness of the theory. However, I thought it was possible just because of his importance, being part of the 2nd Hokage's closest squad.

SSJGGogeta

Well none of the animators knew that Tobi was Obito, so how can you expect them to know that they should incorporate scars? Btw, that would have made it even more obvious than it was already, lol.

yungz22
I think the only character people werent sure about was pein (yahiko body) there were alot of diff theories about him before he was fully revealed

NewGuy01
Yeah, a lot of people thought he was going to be the Fourth Hokage.

psycho gundam
So I discovered something that most of you will say is obvious, but I'll say it anyway. I am convinced that Kishimoto did not plan for Tobi to be Obito originally. My proof comes from episode 142 where Obito takes off his mask in front of Kisame. The camera shows his chin briefly, and I noticed that there were no scars on his right side, where there should have been. Either that, or the shot was so quick that the animators didn't see the point in throwing it in. he just lied to keep the mystery a mystery. they blatantly had the same voice actor for tobi's voice and madara's so that the audience would go with the ruse (that we all knew was fake regardless of kishi's lies) . the lack of scars is the same thing

AuraAngel
The real question is did he have Kaguya planned.

The answer being probably not.

NewGuy01
He probably didn't. Wonder when he decided she'd be a part of the story. Before then Ten Tails arc at least, I hope. Pre Obito's reveal anyone?

psycho gundam
yeah but the origin of the eyes being byakugan was actually confirmed by kaguya. now on the contrary that could also mean he retroactively made her to fit that old legend so....whatever

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.