Fernus Vs Despero

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
Fernus dominated the JLA, killed the white martians and almost nuked the planet.
Despero's gone toe to toe with the JLA and JSA, and held up the Rock of Eternity.

Which team wrecker wins a battle?

safado
Pre- nu DCU I'd give Fernus an edge but in a competitive fight

Things are wonky now. Superman has just literally ripped Doomsday to shreds, bench pressed the earth for 5 days and MM beat Despero by himself. Besides that Despero stole batman's Kryptonite ring before attacking the JLA (when J'onn beat him) which gave me the impression that he thought he woud need it to beat Superman

That's degrading Despero

Fernus killed all of the White martians and was several tiers above any of the white martians themselves. Given that "technically" a white martian is physically the same as J'onn (in reality nu DCU shows a more powerful J'onn in comparison to other martians - but still 70?)

Fernus should really overwhelm Despero, who's been getting sold short.

The Biurning Martians were a threat, or at least a concern, to the Guardians. Despero is just a wegiht class below IMO

riv6672
I was speaking strictly pre NuDC, as thats where my examples came from. Thanks for the post, though!

safado
I see dsespero as a team threat

Fern us was a Martian times x 10

He killed 70 Martians ( for those that think he was just an unleashed Jon.....Jon can't kill 70 peers)

Pre nu document however de speedos telepathy seemed more formidable, so I'd say the guy that decapitates 70 Martians likely overpowers dsespero, though perhaps it's a good fight

Ahhhhhhhh comic book fights big grin

cdtm
Too many ways for Fernus to beat Despero here.

He can probably even tp bomb him, considering John's GL tp defenses wouldn't last even a second in the same room with Fernus, and he had to resort to a desperate tactic of converting his thoughts to those of a long dead Guardian language to bypass being turned into a vegetable.

riv6672
Fernus was a beast.
I really think Despero could step up, though. I have the books in my garage but, did the JLA straight up try to kill Fernus? Fairly sure Despero would. Might tip the balance?

cdtm
They never really got the chance, because being in the same room with him was instant mind rape. Only Plastic Man, and John Stewart, managed to get in an attack.

riv6672
Thats for sure a point in Fernus' favor!

Existere
Plastic Man > both.

at the same time.

DarkSaint85
Fernus wins this.

Although, don't forget, when he kiled those 70 White Martians, he WAS on fire.....

riv6672
Yeah, he was burning up!

Would/could Despero's third eye help protect against instant mind rape? It gives him many similar powers to Fernus...

beatboks
Despero is drastically underrated here.

1. White Martians are no where near Jonn's peer's. White Martians are the weaker martian Race. Aquaman mind raped several and his TP power is a fraction that of jonn's. hell even with the enhancement in TP the water hand gave him he still wasn't in Jonn's league.

2. MMH and Aquaman combined couldn't even dent Despero's TP strength.

3. One of his abiliites as I recall is a psychic fire that he can wield from his third eye. MMH is still vulnerable to "psychic" fire.

4. If he has the Flame of Py'tar then he possesses powerful energy and matter manip as powers almost to the point of verging on reality warping.

riv6672
I read about the flame of Py'tar, so yes he has it.
Didnt think to specifically mentioning it, though.

DarkSaint85
Was Fernus vulnerable to psychic fire, though? I thought he wasn't.

safado
I'm slowly beginning to think dsespero might be able to step it up. I'll go full on nerd later tonight

riv6672
Haha! Its on!

DTM
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Fernus wins this.

Although, don't forget, when he kiled those 70 White Martians, he WAS on fire.....

I was going to state this as well. Fernus is constantly emitting fire, martians lose their powers when in the presence of fire, so him beating 70 WMs is virtually cheating, and not a very impressive feat (Heck, Batman took out 3 WMs himself with a matchs flame).

safado
I don't know. It's still 70 beings that are weaker versions of Superman but with similar powers. 70 is enough for at least a group of them to use telepathy or martian vision (the stupidest power in comics - it would be like Superman's Kryptonite vision but hey)

My takeaway from the scene was that the immensely powerful white martians- who were described as the equals of the green martians but the war obsessed half of the species were wiped out by a being that as just that powerful (even though yes I agree that his fire had a lot to do with it)

OTOH Despero wouldn't be so easily affected telepathically, as opposed to his jobber nuDCU self and his physical power would likely be enough to match up with Fernus

I don't know who wins, I do know they are both in dire need of a redesign but that's another debate.

Despero looks like a lobster with one eye - I keep thinking Zoidberg from Futurama has superpowers and now the JLA must face him

nyuk nyuk

DTM
Keep in mind they will all lose their powers in the presence of Fernus' fire. They are not 70 weak Superman, they are essentially then 70 normal humanoids, which a being as powerful as Fernus would wipe out with ease (which is what he did).

riv6672
Dont see how thats cheating?

safado
You don't think that out of 70 a handful could have been far away to keep their powers. If it were a krypton it's man and an open space with 70 kryptonians I'd expect some of the kryptonians to stay powered up. It's just a possibility, what's your take?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.