Edge of Tomorrow

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

quanchi112
I am more excited for this since Jupiter Ascending is taken off the summer docket. I am seeing the 8 pm showing and will report back my findings later tonight.

Zack Fair
Looks cool. Hope it doesn't suck.

Firefly218
Tom Cruise - most overrated actor in Hollywood. Can't believe he was almost Iron Man

quanchi112
Originally posted by Firefly218
Tom Cruise - most overrated actor in Hollywood. Can't believe he was almost Iron Man I think he's an excellent actor myself with his craziness aside.

Mark Question
Getting decent reviews.

Zack Fair
Never really liked Cruise. That won't stop me from watching this movie though.

quanchi112
Very solid premise, plot, and really interesting alien biology.

First half of the movie is better and the ending doesn't live up to the first half but all in all a really good film.

Kazenji
Someone failed to use the search

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=572961& amp;highlight=title%3A%28all+you+need+is+kill%29+f
orumid%3A2

dynamix
saw this last night, a very pleasant surprise. As quan mentioned, interesting premise. What i find most annoying (for the most part) with summer popcorn flicks is this feel of forced humor. This film had humor but never felt tacked on. Just one of the reason i thought this was a very solid flick.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Firefly218
Tom Cruise - most overrated actor in Hollywood. Can't believe he was almost Iron Man

He would have made an excellent Iron Man....but Downey Jr. is pretty much the best big name choice for Tony Stark.

The casting was wonderful for Iron Man. But, now, Cruise would have been an excellent choice.

Originally posted by quanchi112
Very solid premise, plot, and really interesting alien biology.

First half of the movie is better and the ending doesn't live up to the first half but all in all a really good film.

Whoohooo!

I can't wait to see it, then! big grin

Patient_Leech
Pleasantly surprised by the very positive reviews for this. So I figure I'll try to see it on the big screen. Hope to see it this weekend.

Werewolf582
This was a great movie.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Pleasantly surprised by the very positive reviews for this. So I figure I'll try to see it on the big screen. Hope to see it this weekend. I highly recommend it. Its funny because I was more excited about Jupiter ascending than this one but have a feeling will be disappointed with jupiter while I really liked this film. I may even go back and see it a second time.

Patient_Leech
Pros: Great story and very well acted. Great humor, skillfully crafted, and excellent production design.

Cons: Questionable design with the extraterrestrials. Also, skaky cam + 3D =/= enjoyable visual experience.

Skip the 3D on this and it'll probably be better.

dadudemon
Saw this, it was good.

It wasn't great.

7 out of 10.

It could have been so much better, though. This needed to be a TV Series instead of a movie, honestly. Too much information crammed into a 2 hour film so it became confusing at times (but since I'm familiar with the source material, I knew what to expect, most of the time...I feel sorry for those going into the film not knowing what the **** this universe is about).

Cruise did a really good job with his acting. This movie needs a sequel or a prequel .

Robtard
Yeah, rather enjoyed. Decent scifi/action flick.

Didn't care for the creature design myself.

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
Too much information crammed into a 2 hour film so it became confusing at times (but since I'm familiar with the source material, I knew what to expect, most of the time...I feel sorry for those going into the film not knowing what the **** this universe is about).

Which parts and/or aspects?

I've not read the novel and didn't find myself confused. Was Groundhog Day, but action scifi.

dadudemon
Bleh...there may be spoilers in my post. Don't read it if you don't want the movie partially spoiled (I don't think they are spoilers, really...but it might spoil a little of the movie if you read my post).

Originally posted by Robtard
Which parts and/or aspects?

The beginning of the film. It felt like they crammed in characters just to have them.

Also, noticing all the little things that the audience was supposed to see: I was ready for that because I knew what to expect. Someone going into the film wouldn't anticipate seeing the same things again. Most people don't have good memories.

Also, they didn't need to make that invasion/battlefield thing happen like it did. They could have shown him progressively getting more skilled (like the manga or novel) rather than memorizing the exact position and timing of everything. Rita did say that it is not enough to memorize everything...but that didn't actually translate onto the screen and they ended up memorizing everything (until the last run).

The novel and manga do better at handling this. I am not sure why they decided to venture from the source material. They should have shown him becoming a badass in his own right rather than just memorizing everything.

Originally posted by Robtard
I've not read the novel and didn't find myself confused. Was Groundhog Day, but action scifi.

Yes, I got a Groundhog day feel, too. That's never a bad thing. smile

But, you knew what to expect and have a better memory than most. All of that information being thrown at you would be more enjoyable for you. Imagine you're a normal person, for a moment. Normal people don't remember conversations they had on KMC from 5 years ago much less the dialogue and props in a scene from 10 minutes ago. For a normal person, that information seems extraneous and they just have to believe what they are seeing is correct (that props, dialogue, etc. are being correctly remembered by the protagonist). That is not a problem but it can be confusing for people to follow what is happening.

The_Tempest
8/10.

Really good. Blunt was awesome and Cruise again cemented his reputation as an actor.

quanchi112
Originally posted by The_Tempest
8/10.

Really good. Blunt was awesome and Cruise again cemented his reputation as an actor. It didn't do well at the box office. Terrible news a solid film isn't going to be successful IMO.

dadudemon
It didn't do well at the box office. Terrible news a solid film isn't going to be successful IMO.

Really? I just read on reddit where it did amazing/stellar internationally.

quanchi112
Originally posted by dadudemon
Really? I just read on reddit where it did amazing/stellar internationally. I didn't see international numbers which is a good sign.

Time Immemorial
GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!

Its sad that it had a horrible weekend but its an amazing movie..

One of the best I have seen in a long time.

jaden101
Saw this tonight. The big beach battle scene wide shots are immensely impressive. The concept is really good and the editing is great. I especially like when he decides for 1 day to sneak off and not take part in the invasion.

Only let downs are the alien CGI is pretty awful. Reminded me of that film in Moscow with the aliens made from energy. Forget what it was called. The ones in this are basically a fleshy version of them.

The minor parts are also filled by generally the worst actors you can possibly imagine. Their accents are just terrible.

roughrider
Originally posted by jaden101

Only let downs are the alien CGI is pretty awful. Reminded me of that film in Moscow with the aliens made from energy. Forget what it was called.

The Darkest Hour (2011).

Given the solid reviews it's gotten, I should be willing to give it a chance. Maybe I just have Tom Cruise fatigue, knowing that continued money from his films just fuels his crazy Scientology lifestyle. He's in his 50's now, he should be taking on more elder statesmen roles.

Despite doing better overseas, it looks like this is going to get trampled under the mass of summer releases to come.

fostersAccount
Anything written by Christopher McQuarrie is good by me!!
Writers often go overlooked. this dude wrote the usual suspects, and wrote/directed Way of the Gun and Jack Reacher

Really looking forward to seeing this one, can't wait til it comes out on DVD.

Do these kinds of threads usually have spoilers, I was hesitant to read through the other posts ..

jaden101
We use spoiler tags to hide the text.

Flyattractor
Just saw this and Yes. Way Good Movie. Only complaint is that it suffered from a case of the Dark WB"s there at the end. But yes. 2nd Fave Summer Movie after XM: DOFP. Way more fun then Godzilla.

(which also suffered from a case of the dark WB's)

Lestov16
Saw this yesterday night. Terrific film, probably my favorite of the year.

8.8/10

quanchi112
I am more excited for this since Jupiter Ascending is taken off the summer docket.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jaden101
Only let downs are the alien CGI is pretty awful.

Yeah, I didn't like the whole design and concept of the aliens. A more menacing and straight forward design would have been much better. Definitely hurt the movie to me.

I am more excited for this since Jupiter Ascending is taken off the summer docket.

What does Jupiter Ascending have to do with anything? And Edge of Tomorrow came out a long time ago..

Time Immemorial
I fcking loved this movie.

http://www.apnatimepass.com/emily-blunt-wallpaper-6.jpg

Patient_Leech
^ busted face

http://i.imgur.com/TDCclG7.gif

Time Immemorial
^ busted face

http://i.imgur.com/TDCclG7.gif

You have lost touch, she is amazing.

quanchi112
Yeah, I didn't like the whole design and concept of the aliens. A more menacing and straight forward design would have been much better. Definitely hurt the movie to me.

What does Jupiter Ascending have to do with anything? And Edge of Tomorrow came out a long time ago.. Hush, silly boy.

jinXed by JaNx
If a human being can enjoy Transformers Then there is no reason why all of those same human beings aren't enjoying this movie. The movie gives just enough to justify there being a movie, it states limits and consequences and abides by them. That's more than i can say for most (big budget) sci-fi / action movies i've seen of late.

Patient_Leech
Hush, silly boy.

I fart in your general direction.

Esau Cairn
It's a good movie but I also think wouldn't stand up to multiple viewings.

super pr*xy
i never re-watch tom cruise movies.. i'm scared that the scientology will rub off on me.. then again, i don't have the money to buy the thetans required..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.