Who was the commander of the 501st before Appo?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PTforthewin
We all know it's not rex since he's only a captain and a leader of a PART of the 501st not all of it. Appo before the jedi temple attack was a sergeant and a special forces clone trooper in the 501st. Every single legion, battalion, had a commander except the 501st legion. So who was it? Was it possibly Ahsoka Tano? Since she was a padawan and all of the padawans where commanders in the clone wars and wasn't anakin the general of the 501st?

Kalen Sykes
Actually, I think it was Rex. Star Wars.com refers to his Wookieepedia page, and that page says he led the 501st. More to the point, there is no mention, anywhere, of any other commander before Appo. My theory is Rex dies sometime before Order 66, and Appo is promoted and assigned his position.

PTforthewin
Originally posted by Kalen Sykes
Actually, I think it was Rex. Star Wars.com refers to his Wookieepedia page, and that page says he led the 501st. More to the point, there is no mention, anywhere, of any other commander before Appo. My theory is Rex dies sometime before Order 66, and Appo is promoted and assigned his position. Yea but rex wasn't a Marshall commander he was a captain and an ARC, I think that he may have found out about palpatines plot before order 66 and left and Appo became commander after the disappearance of rex, and then Rex joins the alliance 20 years later or so.

Kalen Sykes
Since Rex's future is hypothetical at this point, that could be what happens. But wasn't Rex in the Clone Wars episode where Fives does find the implants in the troopers (Season 6)? IIRC, he sided with Anakin that Fives was unstable. As far as what we officially know, though, Rex is leading the 501st during the Clone Wars series, and Appo is in charge during ROTS. For all we know, Rex could get assigned somewhere else, giving Appo his opportunity for command.

PTforthewin
Originally posted by Kalen Sykes
Since Rex's future is hypothetical at this point, that could be what happens. But wasn't Rex in the Clone Wars episode where Fives does find the implants in the troopers (Season 6)? IIRC, he sided with Anakin that Fives was unstable. As far as what we officially know, though, Rex is leading the 501st during the Clone Wars series, and Appo is in charge during ROTS. For all we know, Rex could get assigned somewhere else, giving Appo his opportunity for command. I don't get why they would give Appo the title, he was a clone sergeant with no ARC training or anything, he was just a special forces trooper, couldn't they make more experienced clones like Jesse or Kix to become a commander?

Kalen Sykes
True, he wasn't an ARC trooper, but that special forces program was run by Alpha-17, so he may not have ARC training, but he was trained by an ARC trooper, if that makes any sense. He could've gone above and beyond to really impress his superiors, or Rex did go against Order-66 and Appo killed him. I could see either situation resulting in Appo gaining command. Alpha-17 also gave Appo his name, although I have no idea how that helps any...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.