Qui Gon could have lived

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tevesh
In TPM, when padme and her forces kill all the droids in the hangar at the end, and the doors open, revealing Darth Maul, in cloak, WITH OUT his lightsaber on, why didn't padme and like the other 20 or 30 followers just shoot the crap out of him? He MAY have been able to stop a few shots, but not 20 or 30 blasters! Then, Qui Gon Jin could have lived!

Not, that i'm complaining, we got to see an awesome saber fight....but he could have lived!

Dexx
oh....the guards wouldn't have been a problem...trust me. Speed isn't maul's problem. he would've ignited and deflected in one swift move...and there go a few more republican soldiers out of the way. And they were in a hurry to apprehend nute gunray.

And what would have been told about the jedi dignity if 'mear' soldiers interfered?

Tevesh
yes, but even one jedi has his limitations. if he was fast enough to deflect so many shots in one swift move, then why not do the same with the saber fight against qui gon and obi?

Ushgarak
TPM made it VERY clear how many normal troops a skilled Jedi can handle. Look at all the droids QGJ and Obi-Wan totalled! Maul would have slaughtered those guys.

BTW, if the guards had been about to shoot, Maul wouldn't have been so blase. He has Jedi powers, he would have sensed imminent danger. As it is he knew they would all be too scared to try anything.

And Dexx is right, he would have been too fast. Luke in ROTJ shows that even if you have no active sabre you can have one on and in place almost immediately, and he would have just jumped out of the way anyway.

GordonSkywalker
Valid point Ush.

justinday15
Im glad they didn't kill him, it was an awesome fight.

GordonSkywalker
Highlight of the entire film I believe.

Dexx
remember..he did kill qui gon in pure duel...and somewhat defeated obi the same way.

*whispers* that part whith him cutting maul down was just GL spectacular reverse in the situation.
But us...the dark siders in this world...still feel sorry for him *sobs*

Tevesh
your argument of sensing danger is valid Ush, and i can't argue with that.

but there wasn't ever any concentraited fire on the jedi in TPM from the droids or people alike. in AOTC, many jedi die in the arena from droids

GordonSkywalker
Actually the droids on the Trade Federation ship at the beginning of The Phantom Menace were firing close range at Qui Gon and Obi Wan. They simply deflected their laser bolts with their lightsabers.

Tevesh
but the thing with the droids on the federation ship is that there weren't a whole lot of them, just a few. In addition to that, they were taken by surprise. In the arena, there was a whole lot of droids, just like there were a whole lot of people with drawn blasters in front of maul. Besides, droids are droids. People are much much better than droids. That is one of several reasons the clone army won so easily in AOTC.

This plus Lama Su said: "Clones can think creativly. You will find that they are immensly superior to droids"

Droids are for a lack of a better word, stupid. Even Dexx and Obi Wan have a chat about how droids don't have any wisdom in AOTC.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that the People with blasters to sith ratio was pretty high, just like the droid to jedi ratio was high in the arena battle. Since so many jedis died in the arena, i believe that maul would have too.

Also, even if Maul would have been able to deflect all of the bolts, Obi Wan and Qui Gon could have taken him down right then. I doubt that Maul can do fight Obi Wan and Qui Gon AND deflect blaster bolts at the same time.

Ushgarak
I would think it utterly impossible for QGJ and Obi-Wan to duel Maul whilst all those people were shooting at him. The result would have been the same except several of the guards would most likely have died. In the end, QGJ's "We'll handle this" was by far the best option.

GordonSkywalker
I am in total agreement with the Ushman on this one. Maul could have easily taken out the guards if he wanted to. His attention was on the jedi at the time though. They were the only real threat to Maul. His orders from Sidious was to take care of the jedi then go after the Queen Amidala.

glenn
Nah. Qui Gon could not have lived because it was the destiny that Obi Wan trained Anakin before he turned to the dark side of the force.

glenn
It would have been good though.

rogue_jedi
qui gon would have lived if he had been more patient, remember when darth maul ***** kicks obi wan and sends him down several platforms? it is just maul and qui gon then. he knew what he was doing. the whole battle he is backpedalling from the 2 jedi, leading them into his trap. he knows that he must kill the master first.he gets rid of obi wan first, freeing himself up to fight qui gon one on one. he leads qui gon into an enclosed area, impales him, then all that is left is the padawan.easy, right? overconfidence was mauls weakness, a lack of patience was qui gons. he led the jedi into a perfectly laid trap. when obi wan was hanging iver the ledge, maul should have used a force push to send him plummeting to his death, but he was too cocky. he had to taunt him. by doing this, he gave obi wan time to force jump up, call qui gons lightsaber to him, and decapitate darth maul.

rogue_jedi
sorry, i didnt know there was no cursing here. ill keep it clean from now on.

Ushgarak
Are you suggesting that QGJ wait? He HAD to keep Maul engaged at all times or Maul would have been free to get the Queen. QGJ decided to keep giving battle and is it happened he lost but that was not hasty, it was brave.

rogue_jedi
i thought that sidious told maul to kill the jedi first.

rogue_jedi
ok, how about this. remember when maul lures qui gon into the room through the laser gate passage? maul ends up in the room, qui gon seperated from maul by one laser gate, obi wan at the very first gate. when the laser gates opened and qui gon rose and charged maul, why did he not wait for obi wan? as far as i could tell there was one way in and out. maul would have been stuck in the room, waiting for the jedi if qui gon had waited for obi wan to join him. then, gates open, the 2 jedi can engage maul together.

cookies2006
Do you want to know why they didnt do all of those things. because it's a movie they can do whatever they want.

Ushgarak
If Qui-Gon had tried to wait for Obi-Wan then Maul could have attacked Qu-Gon and QGJ would have been backed INTO his apprentice. He needed to engage Maul in the open.

rogue_jedi
well, qui-gon didnt necessarily have to wait. time out, ok maul? i dont think so. however, he engages maul so furiously, moving away from obi-wan so quickly that by the time obi-wan made it back to their level, it was too late. all qui-gon had to do is pace his attacks until his padawan caught up. if he had done this, he would probably have lived.

yerssot
so... you wanted one stroke per minute against a guy with a double-lightsabre???

Ushgarak
Indeed. THe fight went as the fight went. QGJ knew he had to keep Maul engaged; you can't do this sort of thing half-heartedly.

rogue_jedi
lets just agree to disagree.....on a different note, do you believe that maul was fighting a retreating battle so that he could seperate the two jedi and lure them into a trap?

rogue_jedi
it was so obvious. when he and qui gon are fighting through the laser gate passage, maul is practically skipping backwards. when the gates deactivate and qui gon charges, there is no more retreating. darth maul has them just where he wants them. one jedi at a time, first the master, then the padawan. unfortunately for him, he let his guard down and obi wan bisected him.

Ushgarak
If you were in QGJ's situation you would most likely have done the same. You can hardly blame QGJ for losing- and in any case, the two-on-one tactic wasn't working very well.

rogue_jedi
good point, ush. i probably would have. but then i would have been killed, then who would you be debating this with? seriously, though. it looked as if, at the beginning of the fight, qui gon and darth maul were giving it everything they had, while obi wan was giving a kind of half hearted effort. it seems like it took qui gons death to bring out the best of obi wans fighting abilities. the way he attacked maul when the laser gates opened, man, that was intense. when obi wan is waiting for the gates to open, he ignites his saber and begins hopping up and down in anticipation of battle. its like hes getting himself hyped up. "gonna get you, maul. gonna get you gonna get you gonna get you gonna get you!!!!!" everytime i watch that part it sends a chill up my spine.

Ushgarak
Yes, Obi-Wan giving a little bit into his anger there to makew him strong- but he paid the price with carelessness, which Maul was able to exploit. And then likewise messed up himself.

(points at Maul and laughs)

finti
remember Sideous words about the Jedis ( QGJ and OWK) to Maul. they (the jedis) are no match for you

Rogue Jedi
also remember this. "deal with the jedi FIRST."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.