Children of Light (Turned-based RPG for XBox One)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
Children of Light score: 9 out of 10

Seriously, if you like old-school RPGs, you will love this game. It mixes in some minor platforming, turned-based RPG battle system, classic RPG leveling system as you gain experience, and a decent enough story.

I have not gotten very far into the game but I am loving it, so far.

Imagine a cross between the movie Princess Mononoke and the games Chrono Trigger, Legend of Zelda (puzzles have a LoZ feel to them), and Paper-Mario.

The art can be quite amazing sometimes. The battles are decently challenging. It also adds some newer RPG elements such as crafting and socketing weapons to increase their powers.

Seriously, if you loved Chrono Trigger (Or Super Mario RPG), this is a must-own game. The worst case scenario is you will explore a semi-unique game with decent art and music and get entertained for a few days. If you're a turn-based RPG fan, this is definitely a game you should pick up. It costs only $15. You can also cheat and spend $3 and buy gems for your weapons (you don't need to but the option is there for people who want to get through the game more easily).

More about the leveling system:

As you gain levels, you have a pre-planned boost to your character attributes. Such as level 3 gives you a +2 to strength. You also can spend skill points on abilities in a skill tree (more like a skill maze...because there are so many). So far, I love leveling. And I want to grind to level. An RPG that makes me want to grind to level is a well-executed RPG. Also!!!! And this is the more important thing a leveling RPG must do!!! When you level, the monsters do not level with you! So you can go back to previous areas and one-shot some of the bad guys (if you missed them...so far, I have not missed any and I don't think they respawn, sadly). Many RPGs use a system that causes the enemies to level with your character. No...stop that. Part of playing a leveling RPG is the awesomeness of leveling up and then rolling over the old enemies that gave you trouble.

Zack Fair
Already made the thread bro, but yeah the game is swell.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Already made the thread bro, but yeah the game is swell. I did a KMC search by post title. No idea why it did not show up....

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/search.php?action=showresults&q=title%3A%28children+of+light%29&showposts=0

Zack Fair
It happens a lot. Happens to me too lol. But anyways did you finish the game? If you liked it I recommend playing transistor. Its a different kind of RPG, but good none the less. Its kind of like what Parasite Eve should have been way way back when it came out in the late 90s

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by dadudemon
I did a KMC search by post title. No idea why it did not show up....

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/search.php?action=showresults&q=title%3A%28children+of+light%29&showposts=0

The name of the game Zack is talking about is Child of Light.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/search.php?action=showresults&q=title%3A%28Child+of+Light%29+forumid%3A66

Zack Fair
Its the same game unless I'm missing something.

Demonic Phoenix
Yeah, you are.

ddm searched for 'Children of Light'. stick out tongue

Astor Ebligis
Looks amazing, probably the next game I play through.

Zack Fair
thumb up

The fighting is very addictive. I would have started a 2nd playthrough right after I first beat it, but I have a goal to finish all the games I have in this summer.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
The name of the game Zack is talking about is Child of Light.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/search.php?action=showresults&q=title%3A%28Child+of+Light%29+forumid%3A66

Well, shit. A mod should merge the threads. I clearly made a titling mistake. His is the correct title.

Edit - Thanks for finding that. You'd make a good mod. sad

Originally posted by Zack Fair
thumb up

The fighting is very addictive. I would have started a 2nd playthrough right after I first beat it, but I have a goal to finish all the games I have in this summer.

Yes, very addictive.

Question: do enemies respawn in old areas? I would LOVE to grind.

Zack Fair
Not sure.

dadudemon
I am almost towards the end of this game. I still love it. It is still one of the best games I have played in ages.

They need to make a sequel but with a big budget. Pretty much NOTHING should be changed about the game mechanics. Just add a much much bigger story (5-20 times as large with very involved and complicated side quests) and voice acting for all the main characters.

I like the fact that when you kill enemies, ALL party members get the XP so all party members can level even if they didn't participate in the fight. This eliminates a micromanaging aspect from the game. You don't have to constantly swap out party members to earn them XP to keep them leveled.

This game is missing a character ability: "spy enemy stats." It would be great to have that ability for tougher battles and bosses so you can more strategically plan.

I like the skill leveling tree setup. I like the skills it provides, too. It is as if the game designers knew all the shit I hated about old RPG games and removed that and then added in all the stuff I love about RPGs making it one of the best Role-Based RPG experiences ever.

Some of the music is quite beautiful, as well.

Zack Fair
thumb up

Only downside is how short the game is. I would have played this game a solid 40 hours.

quanchi112
Just started playing the game for the ps4. Decent. Better than Zelda that is for sure.

Bentley
Originally posted by quanchi112
Better than Zelda that is for sure.

Frigging Pokemon is better than Zelda. Hone your trolling abilities Quan ahah

Martian_mind
Originally posted by Bentley
Frigging Pokemon is better than Zelda. Hone your trolling abilities Quan ahah

Pokemon is better than everything though.

dadudemon
Just started playing the game for the ps4. Decent. Better than Zelda that is for sure.

Yes. I don't really like the Zelda games. The puzzles get old. I would like a Zelda game that has you level up and increase your character stats as you fight stuff. It would be nice if the game focused on equipment AND character stats, not just solving puzzles and the equipment.

Bentley
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Pokemon is better than everything though.

Kirby is also pretty cool, but your criticism is spot on.

Yes. I don't really like the Zelda games. The puzzles get old. I would like a Zelda game that has you level up and increase your character stats as you fight stuff. It would be nice if the game focused on equipment AND character stats, not just solving puzzles and the equipment.

If you want that, play a random RPG. The market is swamped with those games anyways.

quanchi112
Frigging Pokemon is better than Zelda. Hone your trolling abilities Quan ahah Shut your skank trap.

NemeBro
Game is okay.

dadudemon
If you want that, play a random RPG. The market is swamped with those games anyways.

I don't want that, I want a better Zelda RPG. smile

NemeBro
I feel like this game would be better if it was a realistic first person shooter.

Bentley

Play Pokemon and stop ruining already mediocre franchises thumb down

NemeBro
Pokemon is shit.

Bentley
Originally posted by NemeBro
Pokemon is the shit.

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

quanchi112
Game is okay. Game would crush Hyrule.

NemeBro
Compare the sales. Then compare the state both companies are in. Then compare how Child of Light was received critically compared to almost every Zelda game. Including the one you played.

I'd say Zelda wins. thumb up

quanchi112
Compare the sales. Then compare the state both companies are in. Then compare how Child of Light was received critically compared to almost every Zelda game. Including the one you played.

I'd say Zelda wins. thumb up I don't care for shitty nerds opinions. I was referring to an all out battle between the two games. Child of Light wins over shitty Hyrule.

NemeBro
I don't care for shitty nerds opinions. I was referring to an all out battle between the two games. Child of Light wins over shitty Hyrule. Shut up and keep running from battlezones pussy. thumb up

Demonic Phoenix

Play Darksiders 2.

NemeBro
That game sucks though.

dadudemon
Play Darksiders 2.

K.

quanchi112
Shut up and keep running from battlezones pussy. thumb up I have done more than anyone here. I take battlezones I am interested in. You've never done one.

laughing out loud

NemeBro
You've also lost more than anyone here.

quanchi112
You've also lost more than anyone here. False. I outdebated scenario is a matchup you said was spite and the judge of the Thanos vs. Darkseid later said debating didn't matter as his vote was never going to change.

wink

Bentley
I don't care for shitty nerds opinions. I was referring to an all out battle between the two games. Child of Light wins over shitty Hyrule.

Any version of Hyrule? What about composite Hyrule?

NemeBro
False. I outdebated scenario is a matchup you said was spite and the judge of the Thanos vs. Darkseid later said debating didn't matter as his vote was never going to change.

wink Originally posted by Badabing

My vote goes to The Scenario

Originally posted by Digi
Vote to Scenario.

Originally posted by Badabing
The Scenario out debated Quan. thumb up

Originally posted by Mindset

Scenario wins 10/10

quanchi112
Any version of Hyrule? What about composite Hyrule? Tp.

quanchi112
Read the detailed opinions. I outdebated him by ten percent in a matchup most said was spite against my guy. I truly am the greatest.

NemeBro
You seem upset.

Bentley
Tp.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

quanchi112
You seem upset. You are a hypocrite and feel no remorse for your despicable actions.

Demonic Phoenix
That game sucks though.

Kingdom Hearts?

K.

You've played it already, or you're not interested in playing it?

NemeBro
Exactly. thumb up

You are a hypocrite and feel no remorse for your despicable actions. That second part is true at least.

quanchi112
Exactly. thumb up

That second part is true at least. You have no code, Centauri.

NemeBro
I am truly free.

quanchi112
I am truly free. Those without a code are truly filthy beasts.

The Scenario
What's going on in this thread?

dadudemon
You've played it already, or you're not interested in playing it?

I have not played it yet. Busy playing Novaraider and Destiny.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.