Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Discussion Thread- Manga

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Butcher
Who else reads this awesome manga on this forum?

I'm all caught up and personally think this is the best arc of the series thus far. Sheba and Solomon are my favorite characters of the series so far. I personally can't choose which I like more. Some days I prefer Solomon, other days I prefer Sheba.

So, any theories on who could be Gyouken in this flashback?

Also, I apologize if there is another thread for this. If so, please feel free to delete it and link me to the original.

Esomark
Great manga. One of my current favorites and I have the official Viz releases as well. I hope they'll speed up the release schedule since I am enjoying it more than pretty much every other popular shounen manga.

The Alma Torran arc has been good so far. Not sure who Gyouken could be but Sheba and Arba are the best candidates since they both know Solomon well and Gyouken resembles both characters in some ways. Sheba and Arba share some traits as well.

My favorite arc has to be the Balbadd arc. The character development was well done, the battles were chaotic, and the atmosphere had an old school shounen feel like the Saint Beasts arc in YuYu Hakusho.

AuraAngel
Caught up on the series.

It is exceedingly okay.

NemeBro
Manga looks like shit.

Nephthys
I really loved this manga when I read it. It's on par with early Naruto and Bleach imo. Need to get back into it though, as well as Toriko. Grr, juggling so many interests is hard.

Esomark
Originally posted by Nephthys
I really loved this manga when I read it. It's on par with early Naruto and Bleach imo. Need to get back into it though, as well as Toriko. Grr, juggling so many interests is hard.

I rate it higher than early (and current) Naruto and Bleach but that's just me. Toriko's been really killer lately, too. Both series I think need more love, especially in the States. Same with Nanatsu no Taizai.

AuraAngel
Favorite characters!

NemeBro
The incredibly pretty boy, Titus. Don't even need to read it to know. The ****ing things I'd do to him...

Still looks like shit though.

Nephthys
Morgiana.

AuraAngel
Alibaba is objectively the best character though.

wakkawakkawakka
I've read the first hundred chapters of this, it reminds me of Fairy Tail before it got annoying.

AuraAngel
So we're out of flashbacks! And Aladdin proposes world peace! This seems like it will go over well.

wakkawakkawakka
Having nothing else better to do I caught up on the manga. My opinion of if still hasn't changed since the last time I decided to read it.

Oh and it even has it own "Naruto vs Sasuke" fight.

Q99
I follow, but I'm on the official print releases, so I can't engage in much discussion ^^

AuraAngel
No reason you can't do both~

More people need to read Magi. Fun little series if only for the aesthetic and it has some pretty clever writing.

Who are your favorites, last two to comment?

wakkawakkawakka
My favorite is still Alibaba but Kouen is definitely up there.

Q99
Originally posted by AuraAngel
No reason you can't do both~

If I feel a major need for more, but at the current time I'm good with the release schedule.

I like Morgiana.

Esomark
Morgiana's one of my favorite characters as well. She's had a lot of good development and her feats of strength are fun to view.

My other favorites would be Aladdin, Alibaba, Sinbad, Judar, Kougyoku, Hakuei, Kouha, and Kouen.

AuraAngel
So a lot of stuff just happened lol.

yungz22
Alibaba is objectively the best character though.

judal, kouha and muu are my fav characters

Esomark
Originally posted by yungz22
judal, kouha and muu are my fav characters

Kouha's a cool kid. His sword would make Guts green with envy.

yungz22
Originally posted by Esomark
Kouha's a cool kid. His sword would make Guts green with envy.

'why yes. yes it is

AuraAngel
Hakuryu is a pretty cool kid. More successful than Sasuke anyway.

wakkawakkawakka
Well Hakuryu is certainly more justified in his actions.

yungz22
Hakuryu is a pretty cool kid. More successful than Sasuke anyway.

Hakuryuu has more conviction than sasuke does as well. He also has created his own ideals and doesnt need to be spoonfed ideologies.
Judal on the other hand just likes to f**k shit up

wakkawakkawakka
Well things are going down with these past two chapters. Oh and then there's Judar's space adventures to look forward to as well.

Esomark
I thought it couldn't get any weirder after the Zagan Dungeon arc but this space adventure has outdone it.

Good to see Kougyoku again. Hope Hakuei will get more scenes as well.

AuraAngel
The Sinbad manga is so cool. It is neat to see a character who realizes he is a main character chosen by destiny and he therefore takes to the role with an almost psychotic energy.

Hey man look: a war that makes use of the fact that the commanders are welding the god like powers of the Djinn. I love this manga.

wakkawakkawakka
So has anyone been keeping up with the latest chapters of Magi. Because some stuff went down and I guess Hakuryuu is kind of sort of coming around.

AuraAngel
A lot of the most recent chapters haven't been subbed.

Magi is about to end anyway. Sad stuff.

Demonic Phoenix
Why is Magi's artwork so weird in the beginning? I'm finding it hard to get used to.

AuraAngel
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Why is Magi's artwork so weird in the beginning? I'm finding it hard to get used to.

Define weird and give an example. Magi is quite stylized to the point of messiness at times.

Demonic Phoenix
Hard to tell what's going on/what's what.

It really is messy at times.

wakkawakkawakka
Magi has a decent anime adaptation if that helps any.

AuraAngel
Hard to tell what's going on/what's what.

It really is messy at times.

Eh I've never had a problem with it but I'm not an art guy. It does undoubtedly get better though.

http://view.thespectrum.net/manga/Magi/Volume%2001/magi_v01_060.JPG

Old Alibaba.

http://view.thespectrum.net/manga/Magi/Chapter%20159-168/magi_v17_179.JPG

New Alibaba.

Markness

Look at Ohtaka's first manga, Sumomomo Momomo, and you will be glad she improved from that. The art in that manga made me almost fall asleep with how underwhelming it looked.

AuraAngel
So Magi is officially getting into the final arc. The King Vessels have all been chosen from the Magi(except weirdly Yunan who might side with Kouen) and we're going into a timeskip. I wonder if we'll be able to make it to 4 pages at least. Such a shame it isn't as well known.

wakkawakkawakka
I've noticed that Magi's had quite a bit of time-skips during its run. But since its approaching its final arc maybe we'll get luck and it will have 2/3 arcs worth of finale like Naruto.

vansonbee
So where is Hakuryuu sister? Did the mom switch places and Hakuryuu ended up chopping off his sister head instead?

Too bad Sinbad didn't do Aba, would of been hot. lol

AuraAngel
I hope not. I love Hakuei. She's so adorable.

wakkawakkawakka
So Arba knows the substitution jutsu? It'd be a shame if Hakuei is actually gone but I wonder when the switch took place or if there was never a switch at all and Arba's been dormant in Hakuei all this time.

Markness
Originally posted by vansonbee
So where is Hakuryuu sister? Did the mom switch places and Hakuryuu ended up chopping off his sister head instead?

Too bad Sinbad didn't do Aba, would of been hot. lol

I tend to think she possessed Hakuei or atleast I hope she did.

Guh, Arba's face is so hideous but someone out there probably gets off to it. stick out tongue

Olba was at Hakuryuu's ceremony. He's still holding a grudge.

AuraAngel
http://view.thespectrum.net/manga/Magi/Volume%2004/magi_v04_091.JPG

The things you find looking back. The author flat out told us who the meanie was.

AuraAngel
You bastards still need to read this.

wakkawakkawakka
I am reading this...oh and I guess Sinbad is dead due to being incinerated by Ugo.

Wonder what Arba was doing when this was all going down.

vansonbee
Arba probably trying to give birth to her next set of children. XD

I can't wait for the next chapter, wanna see how Sinbad get out of this situation DEAD

AuraAngel
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
I am reading this...oh and I guess Sinbad is dead due to being incinerated by Ugo.

Wonder what Arba was doing when this was all going down.

You two are fine. Not got any beefs with ya. It's the people that don't read this fun manga that are lame. They'd rather watch a silly show like DBS or finally see the Naruto anime catch up.

NewGuy01
Watched the anime. Admittedly it was pretty good, but for some reason I have no desire to continue on with the story. Like, at all.

AuraAngel
It is significantly better than Naruto or Bleach. Basically imagine Naruto except making much fewer missteps.

AuraAngel
This manga is so hype was does no one keep up with it I hate all of you.

wakkawakkawakka
So Magi has a legit LT(Living Tribunal) character for its verse which I find to be a pretty hilarious jump in power-scale...yet somehow not as absurd as the one Naruto and Bleach had.

Points for incorporating a debate over the necessity of God and Destiny.

Zack Fair
I should really get on this manga ... >_<

AuraAngel
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
So Magi has a legit LT(Living Tribunal) character for its verse which I find to be a pretty hilarious jump in power-scale...yet somehow not as absurd as the one Naruto and Bleach had.

Points for incorporating a debate over the necessity of God and Destiny.

Probably cause "god" has been a presence in the entire story and it justifies some of the lines in chapter one.

But yeah Magi is far and away stronger than the Big 3 now.

Originally posted by Zack Fair
I should really get on this manga ... >_<

It's pretty good.

vansonbee
I should really get on this manga ... >_< No, you should start with the anime, than this manga. thumb upOriginally posted by AuraAngel
Probably cause "god" has been a presence in the entire story and it justifies some of the lines in chapter one.

But yeah Magi is far and away stronger than the Big 3 now.

It's pretty good. Bigger than the 3? As in sales or story writing or power levels?

AuraAngel
Power levels lol.

I do think it is better written though.

Zack Fair
I've heard nothing but praise. Some called it the best shonen, and I can see why it would. I liked and cared about every single character and Sinbad is just a ****ing badass.

Did you guys watch the adventures of sin?

vansonbee
I love Sinbad better in Magi than his own side story. Since I saw Magi first, watching Sinbad series afterwards felt predictable and lackluster, if you compared it to the Magi anime. My advice is just skip Sinbad series or watch it after you seen Magi.

Regarding power levels. I like the setup and how it flowed into being. Not like Naruto's power up's.

Zack Fair
Oh I'd already seen it, and yes I did watch it after Magi. Adventures of Sin made me rewatch Magi since it had been so long. No regrets though.

AuraAngel
I've heard nothing but praise. Some called it the best shonen, and I can see why it would. I liked and cared about every single character and Sinbad is just a ****ing badass.

Did you guys watch the adventures of sin?

Yep. Well I read it but the same principles apply. The Magi spinoff is better than your average Shonen as well.

wakkawakkawakka
Bump...cause Magi is cool and stuff and more people should give it the time of day IMO.

So the debate over destiny still continues and I like how one of the key reasons for how the protagonists are still able to fight LT-esque Sinbad is because even he's not convinced of his plan. Wonder if the author is hinting at Solomon being a TOAA like character with Sinbad's dialogue with Aladdin and Alibaba.

Also its nice that Arba as moved on from her "make female descendants have babies" plan because that was just weird.

AuraAngel
Yeah there is a good justification for why Sinbad doesn't just immediately stop them.

vansonbee
Sinbad has mad manly love for our protagonist, hence why we're getting these long drag out multi battle stage royal, getting tired of these... but it looks like Alibaba going to pull out a bromance quote for Sinbad next chapter. :P

wakkawakkawakka
So the long, yet surprisingly fun, debate of destiny and gods has been usurped by a final boss fight.

Didn't know that Deicide was this straightforward...and came with Weeping Angels.

Antonio94
I've been following Magi even now and I've to agree it's really good. Putting artstyle aside (since not everyone has the same taste), the story is really intriguing.
What I'm interested in most is the Sinbad character - a great man who can control 7 Djinns. He totally has capability to become a supreme king. But somehow, his ego is like something preventing him from understanding people. He gives me feeling of a powerful characters who think too highly of himself, he believes he's the only one who can change people's fate. It may be true that everything he does for humanity but he forgets that there are many other people who can help him side by side in his endeavor.

wakkawakkawakka
Yeah Sinbad is a very engaging character due to his faults and screen presence wherever he is. Heck the dude is able to carry his own spin-off manga/anime.

Speaking of Sinbad, there's been even more Dei-ception going on in the manga.

AuraAngel
I miss it already.

wakkawakkawakka
Yeah I would've like to see Alladin, Alibaba, and Morgiana go on at least one more adventure...doing something silly. But otherwise the conclusion was mostly solid if a bit rushed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.