KMC Game Review Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lek Kuen
A thread for the various kmc members to give their reviews of the games they play as well as tell what kind of people they think will like them. This is for new releases as well as older games and will hopefully help people find new games to play and overlooked gems, as well as avoid wasting money.

Use what ever criteria and scoring system you like but the more in depth the better. I only ask you include the title of the game as well as when it came out and the console you played it on.

Zack Fair
Nice! I will start with a number for the last games I've played. Will elaborate later(currently nursing a hangover)

1. Infamous: 9.0
2. Watch Dogs 7.5
3. Child of Light: 8.5
4. Transistor: 8.5

Currently playing Deus Ex Human Revolution

Stoic
I was just playing an online game called Hearthstone. It's a card game sort of like Yugioh, and it's free to play on battle net. You can play alone, or go up against live competitors. It's not too bad to be honest. If anyone out there is into these types of games you should give it a try. It's free to play. It recommends that you have at least 2GB's of RAM, but if you don't you can use Ready boost with Windows 7 and beyond. Ready boost is a feature that you can use with a thumb drive to give you the extra RAM needed.

For a free game, I'd give Hearthstone by Blizzard a solid 8 out of 10.

Lek Kuen
I know they have an expansion coming out soon with in addition to new cards, no single player content. Anything you don't like about the current game?

Impediment
I just moved to San Antonio last week. While I was in the process of packing I found my GameCube memory cards that I thought were forever lost. So now I'm currently playing for the first time in a LONG time Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime on my Wii.

Both games are a shining 10!

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Stoic
I was just playing an online game called Hearthstone. It's a card game sort of like Yugioh, and it's free to play on battle net. You can play alone, or go up against live competitors. It's not too bad to be honest. If anyone out there is into these types of games you should give it a try. It's free to play. It recommends that you have at least 2GB's of RAM, but if you don't you can use Ready boost with Windows 7 and beyond. Ready boost is a feature that you can use with a thumb drive to give you the extra RAM needed.

For a free game, I'd give Hearthstone by Blizzard a solid 8 out of 10. That sounds very interesting(Ready boost) How does it work? My motherboard is on its way to valhalla, and 3 out of the 4 slots died. As a result I only have 4 ram instead of 12. As you can imagine this is quite problematic for more graphics intensive games. Could use this ready boost feature until I am cleared to buy a new motherboard

Stoic
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
I know they have an expansion coming out soon with in addition to new cards, no single player content. Anything you don't like about the current game?

The pay to win factor kind of sucks tbh. I don't like the idea that you only get so many quests per day as well, it should have an unlimited amount of quests as you level your character up, or finish the ones that you complete. Aside from that, it's not too bad.

Stoic
Originally posted by Zack Fair
That sounds very interesting(Ready boost) How does it work? My motherboard is on its way to valhalla, and 3 out of the 4 slots died. As a result I only have 4 ram instead of 12. As you can imagine this is quite problematic for more graphics intensive games. Could use this ready boost feature until I am cleared to buy a new motherboard

Ah, OK. Well what you do is just insert the thumb drive (Flash Drive) into your USB port. Once this happens, locate the drive letter that the drive is> right click>go to Properties> You will see Ready Boost> You can either dedicate the entire thumb drive as virtual RAM,or click on use this device. I would suggest choosing the "Use this device" option choice. So go ahead, and click on the radial button, and allocate the amount of RAM that you will use. It will ask you to allocate the amount in MB's. Keeping in mind that every 1,024 MB's equals 1 GB.

Hold your horses brother. Before doing any of this, what you want to do is convert your thumb drive from FAT32 format, to NTSF. If not, Ready Boost will appear to be working, but it won't be, because FAT32 is limited to legacy file systems. We don't have to get too deep into this. Any more info would be walking into A+ tech territory.

So let's get down to it. To format your thumb/flash drive, you want to run CMD, which is what you will type into your Run menu. So let's do this step by step so that you have no problems.

If you do not have the Run function on your start menu this is what you do.

1. Click on your Windows button
2. While looking at the Shut Down option, Right Click on any open area.
3. Properties will pop up.
4. On the Start Menu tab, choose Customize.
5. A Menu will pop up. Just scroll down until you see Run>click on it, and choose OK.
6. Run should now be on your Start Menu when you hit the Window button.

OK Now you want to choose Run> Type in CMD

CMD (Command Prompt)

You need to know what the drive letter is called that you are going to convert.
Once you know what the drive letter is you want to type this command convert d: /fs:ntfs. In this example d is the drive letter, so replace d with whatever your drive letter is, and hit enter. this will convert your thumb/flash drive from FAT32, to NTFS.

Once this is done you are ready to use the Ready Boost feature. Let me know if you have any problems.

Always make a habit of converting your thumb drive from Fat32 to NTFS the moment you buy it, unless for some reason you've found a way to use it on a legacy machine that uses the old file system.

Stoic
Just tried League of Angel's. It's free to play, and another MMO. Not bad for a freebie. It's basically another free to play, but pay to win situations, but all in all the graphics aren't bad, and it's decent if you're on your lunch break and have nothing to do.

Lek Kuen
What's the gameplay like?

Stoic
What's the gameplay like?

Turn based Japanese RPG style sort of. It feels like an arms race. It's great though because you can play it on your smart phone, or PC. For something that's free, it gets extra points. In terms of glitches? I would say that it's pretty robust compared to some of the other titles out there. You should give it a go.

-Pr-
Short review of Watch Dogs...

They said it was the first, true next-gen game. Unlike anything that had been played before. A new standard in gaming. Oh Ubisoft... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, not playing your games anymore.

Not going to go too far in to the basics of the game. It's an open-world action game with a hacking mechanic that allows you to do various things that assist you in combat, both on foot and in cars.

SPOILERS. SPOILERY SPOILERS.

Story:

The protagonist is Aiden Pearce, a vigilante hacker that is seeking revenge for the death of his niece. Living in a Chicago where almost everything is linked to one particular software system known as CTOS, he uses the world around him to turn things in his favour. He goes above and beyond, and meets several people along the way that either help or hurt him, and some that even do both.

The actual writing of the story isn't bad. As Aiden you enter a pretty seedy world at times, with the "auction" standing out in particular. The writing is solid in parts, and characters have a very definite "voice" without seeming too samey.

Sadly, the writing doesn't extend well to Aiden himself. He's not a well-written protagonist at all, and mentions of him having a "strong moral compass" were met with a "no he ****ing doesn't." from me. He's not a hero. He's barely sympathetic. He's just less of a scumbag than the people he's fighting, and that's what makes him bearable. I'm sure some will say that the point is that Aiden is a bad guy too, but tbh, the writing in the game doesn't support that assertion. It regularly tries to paint Aiden as the good guy, when he really isn't.

Gameplay:

The main "gimmick" of the game is the hacking mechanic and, thankfully, it lives up to the hype pretty well. As someone who loves toying with enemies (like in the Assassin's Creed or Batman Arkham games), the hacking tools give you more than enough options to mess with people. On foot and in cars, you can practically torture enemies, and there is an almost perverse pleasure that can be taken in it.

The only thing that lets the mechanic down, is the inconsistency of how it's distributed. There are some areas full of traps and toys you can play with, and some with none whatsoever. It reeks of bad design, and it's a shame.

Guns are badly implemented. There's a nice selection, sure, and watching bodies go flying from a grenade impact is amusing, but the actual controls are not nearly tight or precise enough. The game lags behind the likes of GTA V, and even Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs imo, when it comes to gun controls. I expect better.

The driving is poor. It's not as bad as say, Just Cause 2, but I expected better. Cars, regardless of size, feel unwieldy, and a lot of the time you feel like you're driving a shopping cart rather than a car.

In a game that relies heavily on gunplay and driving in certain missions, it's not a good reflection on the developers when they aren't as refined as they should be.

Graphics:

The graphics themselves (even on PC) are not terrible. They're serviceable. The game even looks pretty good at night, especially when it's raining. As is known, though, they are nothing compared to E3, and this idea of "vertical slicing" is something that needs to die. Now. These companies need to stop lying to consumers.

Sound:

The sound design isn't terrible. Guns sound all right, and engines revving is satisfying enough. That said, the radio stations have a poor selection for the most part (though ymmv), but the actual orchestral pieces during missions are actually pretty good.

Summary:

Is the game a terrible mess? No. It is enjoyable in parts, and frustrating in others. It's not unplayable, but a good deal of the time, I genuinely felt like this game could have been so much more. It felt unfinished, and, sadly, almost as if the devs had gotten lazy when it came to polish. The game doesn't have the attention to detail that it should, and I can't recommend the game as being a full-price purchase.

It's a 6 out of 10. Maybe a 7, but just barely. Dammit Ubisoft, get your shit together.

Lek Kuen
Stuff like that is why I find it hard to get hyped for games nowadays.

-Pr-
I only finished story mode yesterday, and tbh, I doubt i'll go back to playing it.

dadudemon
Originally posted by -Pr-
The only thing that lets the mechanic down, is the inconsistency of how it's distributed. There are some areas full of traps and toys you can play with, and some with none whatsoever. It reeks of bad design, and it's a shame.

First of all, nice review.

Secondly, what you describe is usually a time issue. They ran out of time so they didn't polish the game. For me, stuff like that is what separates mediocrity from the classics. Having that finished and clean feel to a game is what makes games like Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime classics (for example).

Based on your review, I'm steering clear of this game. Thanks for saving me time and money. smile

Zack Fair
Short review of Watch Dogs...

They said it was the first, true next-gen game. Unlike anything that had been played before. A new standard in gaming. Oh Ubisoft... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, not playing your games anymore.

Not going to go too far in to the basics of the game. It's an open-world action game with a hacking mechanic that allows you to do various things that assist you in combat, both on foot and in cars.

SPOILERS. SPOILERY SPOILERS.

Story:

The protagonist is Aiden Pearce, a vigilante hacker that is seeking revenge for the death of his niece. Living in a Chicago where almost everything is linked to one particular software system known as CTOS, he uses the world around him to turn things in his favour. He goes above and beyond, and meets several people along the way that either help or hurt him, and some that even do both.

The actual writing of the story isn't bad. As Aiden you enter a pretty seedy world at times, with the "auction" standing out in particular. The writing is solid in parts, and characters have a very definite "voice" without seeming too samey.

Sadly, the writing doesn't extend well to Aiden himself. He's not a well-written protagonist at all, and mentions of him having a "strong moral compass" were met with a "no he ****ing doesn't." from me. He's not a hero. He's barely sympathetic. He's just less of a scumbag than the people he's fighting, and that's what makes him bearable. I'm sure some will say that the point is that Aiden is a bad guy too, but tbh, the writing in the game doesn't support that assertion. It regularly tries to paint Aiden as the good guy, when he really isn't.

Gameplay:

The main "gimmick" of the game is the hacking mechanic and, thankfully, it lives up to the hype pretty well. As someone who loves toying with enemies (like in the Assassin's Creed or Batman Arkham games), the hacking tools give you more than enough options to mess with people. On foot and in cars, you can practically torture enemies, and there is an almost perverse pleasure that can be taken in it.

Guns are badly implemented. There's a nice selection, sure, and watching bodies go flying from a grenade impact is amusing, but the actual controls are not nearly tight or precise enough. The game lags behind the likes of GTA V, and even Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs imo, when it comes to gun controls. I expect better.

The driving is poor. It's not as bad as say, Just Cause 2, but I expected better. Cars, regardless of size, feel unwieldy, and a lot of the time you feel like you're driving a shopping cart rather than a car.

In a game that relies heavily on gunplay and driving in certain missions, it's not a good reflection on the developers when they aren't as refined as they should be.

Graphics:

The graphics themselves (even on PC) are not terrible. They're serviceable. The game even looks pretty good at night, especially when it's raining. As is known, though, they are nothing compared to E3, and this idea of "vertical slicing" is something that needs to die. Now. These companies need to stop lying to consumers.

Sound:

The sound design isn't terrible. Guns sound all right, and engines revving is satisfying enough. That said, the radio stations have a poor selection for the most part (though ymmv), but the actual orchestral pieces during missions are actually pretty good.

Summary:

Is the game a terrible mess? No. It is enjoyable in parts, and frustrating in others. It's not unplayable, but a good deal of the time, I genuinely felt like this game could have been so much more. It felt unfinished, and, sadly, almost as if the devs had gotten lazy when it came to polish. The game doesn't have the attention to detail that it should, and I can't recommend the game as being a full-price purchase.

It's a 6 out of 10. Maybe a 7, but just barely. Dammit Ubisoft, get your shit together. I have to disagree about the gunplay mechanics. I had a much better, easier and funnier time with Watch Dogs' shooting mechanics than I did GTA V.

Lek Kuen
Do you agree with the rest?

Zack Fair
Yeah.

The game feels rushed. I'm looking forward to a revamped and more polished sequel. Kindda like what happened with AC 1 and 2.

-Pr-
Originally posted by dadudemon
First of all, nice review.

Secondly, what you describe is usually a time issue. They ran out of time so they didn't polish the game. For me, stuff like that is what separates mediocrity from the classics. Having that finished and clean feel to a game is what makes games like Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime classics (for example).

Based on your review, I'm steering clear of this game. Thanks for saving me time and money. smile

Thanks.

Honestly, my first instinct was that it was exactly that: a time issue. The more I played it, though, and the more I realised just how much extra time they were given to finish the game, I couldn't help but feel like it was down to a lack of motivation, rather than time.

Cool. I honestly think the game will be worth a go when it drops in price in a sale. It's not a train-wreck. I just don't tend to buy many games at full price unless i'm absolutely sure they're worth it.

I have to disagree about the gunplay mechanics. I had a much better, easier and funnier time with Watch Dogs' shooting mechanics than I did GTA V.

For me it was the opposite. I don't expect everything to "snap" to the enemy, but compare it to say, Spec Ops The Line, or the Splinter Cell games. The aiming just felt... Weak, to me, in Watch Dogs.

Yeah.

The game feels rushed. I'm looking forward to a revamped and more polished sequel. Kindda like what happened with AC 1 and 2.

A part of me wonders if they did that intentionally. Ubisoft said a while back that they wouldn't make games unless they could be franchises, and one way to ensure people pick up the sequel is to ensure you fixed all the broken shit in the first game.

Lek Kuen
This is Ubisoft so that is entirely possible

-Pr-
This is Ubisoft so that is entirely possible

It's sad too. I used to love Ubisoft. Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood are awesome games imo. Black Flag, even with porting issues, was an easy 8 or 9 out of 10.

I'm a sucker for Tom Clancy games too. Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, even Ghost Recon which I usually don't play.

I'm just sad now.

Zack Fair
They are making it too obvious. And right now most of the games follow the same formula. And it annoys me.

-Pr-
The sad thing is, AC Unity looks decent. R6 Siege might even be good. The Division, as scripted as that thing was? Also looks good.

I'll just wait for the reviews...

Estacado
6 is a bit harsh Pauly D.stick out tongue
Watch Dogs started out good for me by the end it became kinda flat cause of the same missions over and over still better then the avarage stuff we get nowdays.

Lek Kuen
To be fair, his score was taking into account the impression of all the talk about how it was supposed to be the start of a new era of gaming.

Disappointment can have a hella of an effect on how you view a game, even when compared to ones technically worse.

Zack Fair
To be fair, his score was taking into account the impression of all the talk about how it was supposed to be the start of a new era of gaming.

Disappointment can have a hella of an effect on how you view a game, even when compared to ones technically worse.
thumb up Yeah. Which is why I agreed with him. The game suffered a lot because of the ridiculous hype it built, but Ubisoft only has themselves to blame for that.

They need to do something, because it is really affecting their image.

Estacado
Imo only those next gen games will deliver that are not ported to last gen.
I doubt anyone gives a shit about making the next gen version all fancy while leaving out a lot of stuff out from the other one.

They simply make the graphics better for the current versions that's all.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Estacado
6 is a bit harsh Pauly D.stick out tongue
Watch Dogs started out good for me by the end it became kinda flat cause of the same missions over and over still better then the avarage stuff we get nowdays.

To be fair, I did allow for a possible 7. I made it a high 6, like 6.8 or something.

I dunno, what's the last "average" game you played? Watch Dogs, compared to say, GTA, felt mostly average to me.

That was part of it, aye.

Even taking away the disappointment and judging the game solely on its merits, I still wouldn't go any higher than a 7.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Estacado
Imo only those next gen games will deliver that are not ported to last gen.
I doubt anyone gives a shit about making the next gen version all fancy while leaving out a lot of stuff out from the other one.

They simply make the graphics better for the current versions that's all. To hell with last gen. Do a Battlefield 4 and show the last gen peasants what they are missing.

I can still remember how PC Battlefield 3 owned me when I realized what the real game was all about.

Lek Kuen
#ConsoleProblems

-Pr-
To hell with last gen. Do a Battlefield 4 and show the last gen peasants what they are missing.

I can still remember how PC Battlefield 3 owned me when I realized what the real game was all about.

Given all the shit that happened with BF4, I wouldn't paint it as the best advertisement for bringing people over.

Zack Fair
Given all the shit that happened with BF4, I wouldn't paint it as the best advertisement for bringing people over. Well I was talking about how you can only get the full experience in PC and current gen consoles(64 players, bigger maps, more vehicles) Not the servers issues which are all across every single platform.

-Pr-
Well I was talking about how you can only get the full experience in PC and current gen consoles(64 players, bigger maps, more vehicles) Not the servers issues which are all across every single platform.

Oh. Well that's generally true for most PC games anyway. There's a reason it's the superior platform in terms of tech.

Zack Fair
Yeah I know thumb up

-Pr-
Tempted to do a Mass Effect 3 one... Am I that cruel...

Lek Kuen
Do it.

I'm actually curious to a see a more indepth look at your thoughts on the game.

-Pr-
laughing out loud Okay

COG Veteran
Mass Effect 3 was a 7/10 for me. It paled hard in comparison to ME2 which i would give a 9/10. ME3 felt very rushed tho I didn't have a meltdown over the ending (which was still a little foggy)

Arachnid1
I loved Mass Effect 3. ME2 is in my top ten games. Despite a few problems I have with it, I actually loved the ending. Yes, it deviated from normal ME into some crazy sh*t, but I liked it. ME3 still gets a 9/10 from me.

Anyway, my top 10:

1. Resident Evil 4 10/10
2. Silent Hill 2 10/10
3. Metal Gear Solid 4 10/10
4. Uncharted 2 10/10
5. Modded Skyrim 10/10
6. Mass Effect 2 9/10
7. Zelda: A Link to the Past 9/10
8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution 9/10
9. Last of Us/Walking Dead Season 1(tied for similar stories that I love) 10/10
10. Heavy Rain 10/10

Smasandian
I thought ME3 was the best of the bunch. The shooting mechanics were the best in the series and the game did exactly what I wanted it to do. Be super epic and perfect third game for the series.

I didn't mind the ending either. All three games had very short endings so I didn't think it was all that different than before.

-Pr-
I'm currently working on the review, so don't want to get sidetracked.

In short though? I agree that the shooting mechanics are the best of the series. It plays as well as almost any third person shooter.

My issues with it are going to stem mainly from writing and the decisions of the people in charge.

Lek Kuen
So it's actually a scathing review of Casey Hudson?

-Pr-
So it's actually a scathing review of Casey Hudson?

laughing

Not primarily, though I do mention him, yes.

Lek Kuen
Seems he heard Pr was talking shit and silenced him.

Estacado
Transformers Fall Of Cybetron.

Awesome game!

Its a great tps with tons of weapons ,great story ,big areas.
The last mission was pretty short but it was well done .

2 things that bothers me that wave mode is only online and that you cant choose characters before chapters.

I would recomend it to anyone especially Transformers fans.

9,5/10

Lek Kuen
I'm seriously pissed that Hasbro didn't get the studio that made that game to make the latest one.

Estacado
Dark Spark was the 1st 360 TF game I played and it made me want to play War For Cybertron and Fall Of Cybertron.
It does feel crappy compared to FOC however.

Anyways gonna beat WFC next wanted to play them in order but seeding is pretty crappy for it and I couldnt wait like 4 days so started with the other one instead.srug

Lek Kuen
Best thing about WFC is that it has co op campaign

Estacado
And you can choose out of 3 characters which you want to play in each chapter as far as I have seen from videos.

No idea why they havent kept that.
Really wanted to play more with Shockwave but whatever.

Lek Kuen
Shadow Warrior

Platforms: PC (reviewed), Xbox One, PS4 (Xbox one and ps4 versions drop in September this year)

Release Date PC: September 26 2013. Xbox One & Ps4 September 2014

Genre: Fps/1st person hack n slash

Shadow Warrior is a game that slipped under most people's radar it came out without a lot of hype behind it, and was made by an indie studio without many games and published by the folks who were behind Hotline Miami. Really it only got the attention of people who played the original game and not much more. If you passed this up last year, you really should go buy it as it was my game of the year for 2013 and definitely my favorite within the first person genres.

Minor Spoilers ahead

Story: The game follows an Assassin/Gang enforcer named Lo Wang who has a job to get some sword for his boss, through a simple business trade if possible and through force if not. When the deal falls through it quickly turns to a fight with him versus the entire temple, ending up with him captured and more details about the sword revealed. He breaks free of his captors and ends up bonded with a demon named Hoji as the two travel across Earth and the spirit plane to collect the rest of the sword and stop a demonic invasion/get back to his boss.

From a pure narrative standpoint Shadow Warrior is mostly mediocre a mostly standard the world is under attack so the hero must fight his way through and save it/restore things. There are a few shining exceptions though each time you are about to face a boss you have to destroy a golem that contains their memory in order to warp to them. When you do you are shown a beautifully drawn graphic novel sequence detailing the bosses origin, they are narrated well and very well written while being just the right length and spread out far enough to not overstay their welcome. Another good point is that it doesn't bog you down with needless scenes and exposition like many other games with similar plots, you learn what you need to know as you need it and it never slows down your progress or action.

The true strength of the story however are the characters. Lo Wang and Hoji are some of the best characters of recent years. With Lo Wang a comic book and action movie obsessed anti hero who spends half the game making up one liners on the spot, and even stopping to do things he feels make him seem cool like shaving his head. There are even points in the games where he sings You've got the touch, and Eye of the tiger. He's an all around funny dude, who likes making jokes about his own name and feeling like a badass.

Hoji is basically a troll, spending half the game mocking Lo Wang and tricking him into setting himself up for jokes as well as poking fun at genre conventions in the kind of story they are in. He spends alot of time shit talking the enemies as well, and both him and Wang really are able to convey the sort of things gamers feel at a tough boss or when they pull off an epic move with plenty of cursing and thrashing the competition. That said he can be really sinister as well as dramatic when need be, and the final scene with him may be on the greatest monologues in gaming.

The other demon bosses are all very well voice acted and have very distinct personalities portrayed both in their actions and the graphic novel styled origin stories, which are always narrated by them. Despite never being with them for all that long you get a really feel for their character as well as who they were before, and why they are how they are currently. It really helps flesh out the setting a lot even if you don't truly get to see them often. There are a few human characters as well such as some twin female assassins and your boss, each of them is interesting in their own right and has some good dialogue/scenes where they play off of Lo Wang but I feel they could have benefited from a little more direct screen time or at least an origin in the same way the bosses got.

Over all I'd say an average story with great characters and some of the best dialogue in gaming, making the times not fighting well worth it.

Visuals: The Visuals are sort of a mixed bag, mostly because the human models aren't all that great and the few times you see Lo Wang's whole body it not always being that clear. They are an indie studio so I won't be too harsh on them, but it does stand out since the Environments are sometimes gorgeous with a nice colorful array of locales and diverse textures making every area feel very unique and well designed. The effects and animations are top notch, from the great looking Tarantino styled blood sprays to the very real feeling enemy movements. You can shoot and slice off limbs and the enemies react accordingly, the tougher enemies slowly show damage as you wear them down, and the bosses show light looking through from the bullets holes you put in their armor as you fire (or if you use the bow you can literally cover them with arrows). Great Effects, environments, and animations held slightly back by dated models.

Lek Kuen
Sound: As mentioned before the voice work is stellar, everyone delivers and a fantastic performance and without such great voice acting much of the dialogue wouldn't have really worked as well as it does, especially not the comedy segments. The music is good but not great, I found it supporting the actions well but not good enough to make me want the soundtrack though a few tracks do stand out as worth at least a second listen. The sound effects are excellent, every gun feels powerful as you fire off and you can hear the arrows lodge into bodies and the shurikens cut through the air. The sword sounds like you would expect it to sound, each slash slicing air and the visceral sound of flesh being cut as well as the satisfying clang of metal when striking another weapon. I'm not a super sound snob so I can't give an expert opinion but I thought the sound was great over all with the music simply good.

Gameplay: It supports both mouse and keyboard as well as gamepad, both work great with the controller offering a bit more ease of the control while the mouse and keyboard offering more precision and control. Moving is sharp and works just fine, I never felt I was robbed out of a dodge or the game cheated me when I tried to jump over something, if I timed it I would do it. If you are good enough you could never get hit by an enemy the movement controls work that well.

The gunplay works as well as any good fps with the ability to dodge and running around quickly always keeping you mobile. There really aren't many areas where you can take cover, instead you gaining chi abilities where with a quick key combo you can block projectiles or heal yourself making a nice compromise and keeping with the mystical theme. There are a solid variety of guns ranging from a simple magnum to rocket launcher, smgs, four barreled shotguns, flame throwers, and grenade mounted crossbows. Each of these can be upgraded with an in game currency gaining secondary effects as well as simply becoming stronger. With the upgrade system each guns stays viable the entire game so much that in later fights I found myself switching to the early guns and pulling through due to their specific advantages. Ammo is pretty plentiful outside of the rocket launcher so you never really have to worry about conserving your ammo. Firing them feels great with each having the appropriate recoil and very visible effects on the enemies they hit. You are even capable of using your healing spell while firing your gun, if you are ok with the slight perspective change.

While the gunplay is cool the game is all about the sword which is controlled with other the triggers or the two mouse buttons. One trigger does a quick swing the other a slower more powerful one that can be charged, you control the specific direction with the analog or mouse and you control which way you pull the sword with your movement buttons. There is no block button which seems weird at first but the game is all about making you feel like a badass modern samurai so instead of blocking you have to time your swing right to parry or dodge past and take advantage of the opening. The sword play is damn near perfect, the angles and movement always went where I wanted even when using the quick slashes and you have unlockable chi moves that allow new avenues of attack with a quick and simple combos. The sword is your great asset as you can easily hack through enemies if you are skilled at the game, every slice cutting right through limbs and throats of lesser enemies and slowly tearing at away at the body of the tougher foes. The sword isn't a simple button press and do a thousand combos either, it has real weight to it if you swing hard you have to go through with it, if you swing quick you have to actually follow up in the right direction. Hit a durable foe and your sword recoils back, hit flesh and you feel it go through. The combination of sound design and animation go perfectly with a great sense of control. By the end of the game I truly did feel like a sword master and I didn't need cut scenes or dialogue to tell me that, as I ran down the path to the final boss literally cutting hordes of enemies to pieces without taking damage (this wasn't a scripted scene, your sword really tears people a part as you get better at the game and further into it) to the point where you can take the final boss who is much larger then you in a legit sword fight, with no qtes or bs just flat out aiming right and being good, the sword slowly hacking through his armor (and showing the marks)

From spinning around and slicing 12 heads off with a single blow, to sending giants flying with a single sword thrust all in raw un-scripted gameplay. Shadow Warrior delivers the best 1st person melee I've ever played and maybe the best sword fighting in any perspective.

Shadow Warrior gets a 9/10 from me, only held back by some slightly outdated character models and a narrative that doesn't fully match the great characters and dialogue within. If you play this game you will leaving feeling like a sword master through pure real time gameplay alone and not lengthy hands free animations or cut scenes, something that many games struggle with really conveying.

Arachnid1
Great review! Now I feel like an *sshole for typing out 10/10s. I may check that game out when it comes out for XB1 then.

Estacado
Darksiders 2

My 5th playthrough...haermm

It has a cool story not the best but its definetly well done.
Its a hack n slash third person action ,adventure ,rpg game.
The combat is as good as in any other games the cool thing is that you can create your own unique weapons with powers like critical damage,life drain,mana drain,different elemental damages and many more.
Tons of weapons to choose from scythes ,gauntles,hooks,claws,glaves,hammers,maces.....
You get to choose between 2 different power sets warrior and necromancer each has different powers like teleportation,changing into reaper,summoning ghouls ,crows or shields.

What makes it better then other hack n slash games is that it has awesome and enjoyable puzzles and it takes place in an open world where you can play side missions if you want to.There are only like 10 but its nice that you can take a break from the story and explore a bit it also has an arena mode which offers you tons of extra reward weapons.

Depending on which path you choose you can also get your own unique warrior ,necromancer or vanguard(gives boost to both strengh and arcane) armors.

After beating the game you get to choose new game plus however you can only do this once which is pretty sad.

Visually its not the best game out there but it has cool comic style characters.

Its still one of my favorite games of all time.

10/10

Lek Kuen
Step yo Review game up uhuh

Stoic
I just tried the free online MMO Yugioh BAM, and I have to say that at first I wasn't digging it. The original rules are pretty much thrown out the window on this one, but as I continued to play, and got used to the new rules, I must say that this one has its charm. The original game has 5 places to lay monster cards, and 5 to lay down spell/trap cards, with 2 off field spots. 1 to lay down a field bonus card, and 1 to lay down a side deck, if I recall correctly.

Yugioh BAM only use 3 slots to place your monster cards, and 3 to place spell/trap cards which are both regarded as spell cards. The Monsters themselves are all over the place in terms of power. No longer is the Blue Eyes White Dragon or the other famous cards the kings of the decks, you may find cards out there that far surpass the famed cards of the past. There are tourneys, and arena matches that you can play on a daily basis, you can friend other players, and send them gifts as well. There is a map that you progress through. As you make progress, the games difficulty curve spikes to the point that many faint of heart duelist may just give up. However, you can tweak your deck because as you go along you can buy cards or win them during your duels.

Overall for a free game this one hits the spot, and I have been trying several of the free games out there. This one was the best. So if anyone would like to try it out, this is the URL

http://www.kongregate.com/games/konamikg/yugioh-bam

Hope you enjoy.

Oh and I give this game a solid 9 out of 10.

dadudemon
Sound: As mentioned before the voice work is stellar, everyone delivers and a fantastic performance and without such great voice acting much of the dialogue wouldn't have really worked as well as it does, especially not the comedy segments. The music is good but not great, I found it supporting the actions well but not good enough to make me want the soundtrack though a few tracks do stand out as worth at least a second listen. The sound effects are excellent, every gun feels powerful as you fire off and you can hear the arrows lodge into bodies and the shurikens cut through the air. The sword sounds like you would expect it to sound, each slash slicing air and the visceral sound of flesh being cut as well as the satisfying clang of metal when striking another weapon. I'm not a super sound snob so I can't give an expert opinion but I thought the sound was great over all with the music simply good.

Gameplay: It supports both mouse and keyboard as well as gamepad, both work great with the controller offering a bit more ease of the control while the mouse and keyboard offering more precision and control. Moving is sharp and works just fine, I never felt I was robbed out of a dodge or the game cheated me when I tried to jump over something, if I timed it I would do it. If you are good enough you could never get hit by an enemy the movement controls work that well.

The gunplay works as well as any good fps with the ability to dodge and running around quickly always keeping you mobile. There really aren't many areas where you can take cover, instead you gaining chi abilities where with a quick key combo you can block projectiles or heal yourself making a nice compromise and keeping with the mystical theme. There are a solid variety of guns ranging from a simple magnum to rocket launcher, smgs, four barreled shotguns, flame throwers, and grenade mounted crossbows. Each of these can be upgraded with an in game currency gaining secondary effects as well as simply becoming stronger. With the upgrade system each guns stays viable the entire game so much that in later fights I found myself switching to the early guns and pulling through due to their specific advantages. Ammo is pretty plentiful outside of the rocket launcher so you never really have to worry about conserving your ammo. Firing them feels great with each having the appropriate recoil and very visible effects on the enemies they hit. You are even capable of using your healing spell while firing your gun, if you are ok with the slight perspective change.

While the gunplay is cool the game is all about the sword which is controlled with other the triggers or the two mouse buttons. One trigger does a quick swing the other a slower more powerful one that can be charged, you control the specific direction with the analog or mouse and you control which way you pull the sword with your movement buttons. There is no block button which seems weird at first but the game is all about making you feel like a badass modern samurai so instead of blocking you have to time your swing right to parry or dodge past and take advantage of the opening. The sword play is damn near perfect, the angles and movement always went where I wanted even when using the quick slashes and you have unlockable chi moves that allow new avenues of attack with a quick and simple combos. The sword is your great asset as you can easily hack through enemies if you are skilled at the game, every slice cutting right through limbs and throats of lesser enemies and slowly tearing at away at the body of the tougher foes. The sword isn't a simple button press and do a thousand combos either, it has real weight to it if you swing hard you have to go through with it, if you swing quick you have to actually follow up in the right direction. Hit a durable foe and your sword recoils back, hit flesh and you feel it go through. The combination of sound design and animation go perfectly with a great sense of control. By the end of the game I truly did feel like a sword master and I didn't need cut scenes or dialogue to tell me that, as I ran down the path to the final boss literally cutting hordes of enemies to pieces without taking damage (this wasn't a scripted scene, your sword really tears people a part as you get better at the game and further into it) to the point where you can take the final boss who is much larger then you in a legit sword fight, with no qtes or bs just flat out aiming right and being good, the sword slowly hacking through his armor (and showing the marks)

From spinning around and slicing 12 heads off with a single blow, to sending giants flying with a single sword thrust all in raw un-scripted gameplay. Shadow Warrior delivers the best 1st person melee I've ever played and maybe the best sword fighting in any perspective.

Shadow Warrior gets a 9/10 from me, only held back by some slightly outdated character models and a narrative that doesn't fully match the great characters and dialogue within. If you play this game you will leaving feeling like a sword master through pure real time gameplay alone and not lengthy hands free animations or cut scenes, something that many games struggle with really conveying.

Awesome. I may check this game out on PC.

Edit - Just watched a gameplay vid. How the hell did I miss this gem of a game? It looks amazing and looks fun.

Lek Kuen
It was sadly overshadowed by the AAA releases of last year

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.