Are stormtroopers cannon fodder?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PTforthewin
Reasons why:1. they can't shoot for shit
2. ANH luke Shot and killed like 2 of them on the Death Star even though Luke had no training and stormtroopers had like 2 years.
3. ANH Leia killed a clone commander on the Tantive Iv
4. They where beaten by ewoks
5. Although there "best" legion was on endor, the rebel commandos beat the living shit out of them I mean literally in on scene on endor in ROTJ you can see a bunch of rebel commandos tackle and deck the stormtroopers.
Final reason: they where beaten by smugglers one time during the battle of nar shaada.

Kalen Sykes
These are just my opinions, so take them for what they're worth:

1. Maybe they were recent academy grads? The first time under fire might cause them to freeze up and aim poorly.

2. Instinctive use of the Force, like Anakin and podracing?

3. I know she shot a stormtrooper, and there were still clones in the 501st, but what makes you think he was a clone commander?

4. ..... There was no excuse for that. Blame the writers, I guess?

5. Maybe the Rebel commandos were better trained. Besides, didn't the Rebels catch the Imperials off guard? I assume you're going off of the quote from ROTJ "An entire legion of my best troops awaits them". That could just have been Palpatine's boasting to Luke, rather than the actual truth.

6. Smugglers are crafty, and if Han Solo is anyone to go by, some of them could've been former Imperial soldiers.

PTforthewin
Originally posted by Kalen Sykes
These are just my opinions, so take them for what they're worth:

1. Maybe they were recent academy grads? The first time under fire might cause them to freeze up and aim poorly.

2. Instinctive use of the Force, like Anakin and podracing?

3. I know she shot a stormtrooper, and there were still clones in the 501st, but what makes you think he was a clone commander?

4. ..... There was no excuse for that. Blame the writers, I guess?

5. Maybe the Rebel commandos were better trained. Besides, didn't the Rebels catch the Imperials off guard? I assume you're going off of the quote from ROTJ "An entire legion of my best troops awaits them". That could just have been Palpatine's boasting to Luke, rather than the actual truth.

6. Smugglers are crafty, and if Han Solo is anyone to go by, some of them could've been former Imperial soldiers. 1. Good point, I agree
2. Also a good point
3. I think the clone trooper that she shot was a clone commander because he was commanding the other troops to "set for stun" 4. Yes, plot conveniance
5. Yea possibly.
6. Good point.

Kalen Sykes
This sums it up pretty well, I think.

Darth Abonis
Duh

Ace Hambone
In ANH, Leia theorizes that the imperials let them escape, which could explain all the missed shots by the storm troopers. But they don't seem to be any better in ESB OR ROTJ. So...

I think Lucas felt that a hail of bullets (blasters) makes for more exciting escapes, probably inspired by the Saturday morning serials he so famously loved. As for the Ewoks, he was enamored of the idea of 'primitives' defeating the 'advanced' army. 'Realism' (is there such a thing in a fantasy movie?) was not particularly high on his list of priorities.

PTforthewin
Originally posted by Ace Hambone
In ANH, Leia theorizes that the imperials let them escape, which could explain all the missed shots by the storm troopers. But they don't seem to be any better in ESB OR ROTJ. So...

I think Lucas felt that a hail of bullets (blasters) makes for more exciting escapes, probably inspired by the Saturday morning serials he so famously loved. As for the Ewoks, he was enamored of the idea of 'primitives' defeating the 'advanced' army. 'Realism' (is there such a thing in a fantasy movie?) was not particularly high on his list of priorities. in ROTJ a scout trooper ***** slapped Han, and sent him falling, in ESB a stormtrooper shot threepio, the rebels where obliterated on the tantive IV, and leia was shot and wounded by a clone trooper on endor and so was r2d2.

Kalen Sykes
I personally think Stormtroopers were much better than the impression they gave in the original 3 films. After all, they were supposed to be the direct evolution from clonetroopers, so it stands to reason that Vader and Palpatine would want them to be elite in their skills. We probably just saw the "B squad" in the films.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.