Trading Punches: Iron Man & Captain Marvel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
Iron Man knocked out a dazed blinded Hulk with one final armor freezing punch in Ion Man #132.

Captain Marvel sucker punched Superman unconscious in two blows in JLA #29.

Could each character do the same if they switched opponents?

Cap gets one shot, at a dazed blinded Hulk.
IM gets two armor freezing level punches to sucker punch Supes.

Same results or different?
Last place i asked this posters really over thought this, extrapolating fight scenarios and stuff. Just asking about the knock outs here.

Sin I AM
Anyone can knock damn near anyone out with a cheap shot

riv6672
So thats a yes. smile

pym-ftw
Yeah, sucker punch's seem to have like video game like multipliers.

riv6672
Ha, they do in RL too!

This has gone better than last time. The flames were waist high by the 4th post!

maxivitopowe
Where did you post it?

riv6672
In a place without such handsome and well vetsed individuals such as you! big grin

LordofBrooklyn
Iron-Man can't knock out Superman with one or two punches.

Stoic
Originally posted by Sin I AM

h1a8

lol, this post proves you hate Superman.
In a forum fight, cheap shots only work on near peers or superiors hitting inferiors or weaknesses. For example, Spider-man can't cheapshot ko Thor at all.

CM only cheatshotted Superman because of magical weakness. If there wasn't magic involved then there would not be a ko in 2 hits going on.

Also CM is astronomically stronger than IM. He would definitely ko that particular Hulk in that particular comic since IM did it.
IM is not koing Superman at all, under any amount of punches. Superman is harder than IM's armor altogether.

riv6672
Well, this isnt a forum fight, its a comic one. Actually, two. wink

I find the magic argument faulty at best. A punch to the jaw is just that. Supes isnt a metaphysical being, he's flesh and blood, and a punch that can knock out the Hulk, multiplied by two, is apt to do the same to him.

LordofBrooklyn
Originally posted by riv6672

I find the magic argument faulty at best. A punch to the jaw is just that. Supes isnt a metaphysical being, he's flesh and blood, and a punch that can knock out the Hulk, multiplied by two, is apt to do the same to him.

Iron-Man can't KO Superman with 2 punches.

Magic isn't equivalent to Kryptonite when it comes to Superman. The point is that magic has the ability to negate his invulnerability.

riv6672
You say cant, i say can. He's been knocked out or put down by strong non magical foes many times.
You say two sucker punches, one of which was enough to put down the Hulk, wont KO Superman.
Because they arent magic. Strongly disagree.

TheHulk
Anyone can knock damn near anyone out with a cheap shot thumb up

TheHulk
Originally posted by h1a8
lol, this post proves you hate Superman.
In a forum fight, cheap shots only work on near peers or superiors hitting inferiors or weaknesses. For example, Spider-man can't cheapshot ko Thor at all.

CM only cheatshotted Superman because of magical weakness. If there wasn't magic involved then there would not be a ko in 2 hits going on.

Also CM is astronomically stronger than IM. He would definitely ko that particular Hulk in that particular comic since IM did it.
IM is not koing Superman at all, under any amount of punches. Superman is harder than IM's armor altogether. I think what sin meant is that if you were around the same strength/durability as another person, a cheap shot would work.

namorsubby
Ironman is not knocking superman out period.

Geeker
What if Iron Man has his worthy fighting armour with Magic. I think he could then. Because Superman would be susceptible to the same magic weakness. Unless it is magic armour I don't think Iron Man could do this. His Thor Buster (non canon armour) could do it as well. Iron man in normal armour is not strong enough, even in the 70's and 80's when he could go toe to toe with Nefaria for a short burst.

riv6672
Superman isnt particularly weak against magic. He's just vulnerable to it, like everyone else.
The misconception comes from the fact that he IS so durable, it surprises people in universe when something puts him on the defense.
Since the advent of message boards, the misconception's been taken to the extreme by people, to the point where Superman needs to avoid children's birthday parties, for fear of The Great Wumbaygo kicking his butt. smile

Geeker
Superman isnt particularly weak against magic. He's just vulnerable to it, like everyone else.
The misconception comes from the fact that he IS so durable, it surprises people in universe when something puts him on the defense.
Since the advent of message boards, the misconception's been taken to the extreme by people, to the point where Superman needs to avoid children's birthday parties, for fear of The Great Wumbaygo kicking his butt. smile

Superman is susceptible against magic users and always has been. It's why he avoids it, vampires have bitten him because of this weakness in the past. Being vulnerable when usually invulnerable is a weakness.

riv6672
Not the way some people use the concept.

Look at this thread; people are using the magic argument to say non magic brute force that can take down one if the strongest characters in comics wont work on him.
Thats absurd.

Geeker
Not the way some people use the concept.

Look at this thread; people are using the magic argument to say non magic brute force that can take down one if the strongest characters in comics wont work on him.
Thats absurd.

I think you are failing to take into account the situation, context - what happened and when each story was written. People have made their feelings felt, this will become a circular argument.

riv6672
True. Thats only fun to a point.

Like i said at the beginning though, its a nice change of pace here. Not once was i implied to have had sex with my mom or people of my own gender! stick out tongue

DarkSaint85
You had sex with you dad?

riv6672
Technically, we all have sex with our dad, right up till that wonderful "boom goes the dynamite" moment!
After that we move in with our moms and dont see him again for awhile...smile

h1a8

Did you read the comic? It was stated that it was magic that allowed CM to ko Superman that easily. That implies that without magic it would have taken more hits.

Also Hulk's strength and durability fluctuates in comics for various reasons. He can be operating at a few thousand tons up to billions of tons. CM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Average Hulk and IM in strength. So koing Hulk doesn't prove you can ko Superman at all.

CM and Superman are both harder than IM's fist. How can something smaller damage something more harder without itself getting damaged? IM's fists would shatter if it provided enough force on Superman's body.

riv6672
Its all good, i'm going the Geeker route and getting off the circle.
This thread's run its course.
Superman magic related bias is way too ingrained to ever be changed.
I really do appreciate everyone's input and civility, though!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.