ANOTHER MOS question

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Could we say that Zod is more powerful than Superman by default? It's said in the movie that Superman is stronger than most kryptonians because he's lived on earth so long and soaked up it's energy. The sun in a lot younger than the one on Krypton... Yet... Zod with SIGNIFICANTLY less time on earth soaking up its rays and getting used to the atmosphere... Was able to do the same stuff Superman was but SIGNIFICANTLY faster. They made it a point to talk about Clark being so powerful because he was on earth so long... Well ZOD was doing everything Superman was doing and was barely on earth at all. Can we thus say ZOd is more powerful by default?

quanchi112
Make up your own mind for once. Do you need someone to hold your hand throughout the entire movie.

Kotor3
He wasn't stronger. The writers of MOS just wrote a horrible script that showed Clark roaming the earth moping around instead of learning how to use his powers.

Lestov16
TBF, Clark had the entire Kryptonian lineage encoded within him. He was like the Alpha Kryptonian.

Firefly218
Zod should have won. He was trained Soldier and general with the same powers as Superman. Zod had much more experience fighting in war.

-Pr-
Superman was more powerful, he was just less trained in combat than Zod was. Once he started to actually use his powers properly, he was able to make up for any gap in skill that might have existed.

KuRuPT Thanosi
How can u say he was more powerful though.. His father specifically says he has become more powerful than he could've ever imagined. Noting how much time he's spent soaking up a younger sun. Couple that with being used to earth atmosphere n zod wasn't n it was negatively effecting him. How then was zod with SIGNIFICANTLY less exposure to the sun.. still do everything superman could in a much much shorter time. Even just focusing on strength... he seemed every bit as strong with less solar exposure. Would more mean he'd be stronger ?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by quanchi112
Make up your own mind for once. Do you need someone to hold your hand throughout the entire movie. I lol'd.

Esau Cairn
Bad script explains everything.

jinXed by JaNx
Zod was certainly a more skilled fighter but but the powers that the Kryptonians possess on Earth make his fighting prowess useless. It really seems to come down to who has better control and awareness of their powers.

I don't think one was stronger than the other. It would seem to me that anyone from Krypton would possess an equal potential.

When considering the final fight t the end I don't think anyone can say that either Superman or Zod were stronger than the other. I would also contend that neither had an advantage on having a better understanding or control of their powers. Clark spent his entire life learning how to quell his powers. He may have had an extra day or to learn about the true potential of his powers but he started using them the same time Zod came to Earth. Zods years of combat training, discipline and engineering allowed him to quickly gain control of his powers.

I'm sure if both, Superman and Zod had equal time to hone their abilities, Zod would be the superior fighter but again with these types of abilities I don't think it matters much. Just like the end of the movie it would all come down to who gets the lucky break first. Superman was able to get the lucky break in this instance and restrain Zod in a choke hold. At this point though I think Zod had lost control of himself, he was on a mindless rampage. I think that contributed to Superman getting the upper hand. I don't remember seeing anything that suggests one is stronger or more powerful than the other though

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Could we say that Zod is more powerful than Superman by default? It's said in the movie that Superman is stronger than most kryptonians because he's lived on earth so long and soaked up it's energy. The sun in a lot younger than the one on Krypton... Yet... Zod with SIGNIFICANTLY less time on earth soaking up its rays and getting used to the atmosphere... Was able to do the same stuff Superman was but SIGNIFICANTLY faster. They made it a point to talk about Clark being so powerful because he was on earth so long... Well ZOD was doing everything Superman was doing and was barely on earth at all. Can we thus say ZOd is more powerful by default?

This whole statement contradicts its self..

Movie watching fail..

If Zod was stronger he would not have gotten his neck snapped with ease.

-Pr-
How can u say he was more powerful though.. His father specifically says he has become more powerful than he could've ever imagined. Noting how much time he's spent soaking up a younger sun. Couple that with being used to earth atmosphere n zod wasn't n it was negatively effecting him. How then was zod with SIGNIFICANTLY less exposure to the sun.. still do everything superman could in a much much shorter time. Even just focusing on strength... he seemed every bit as strong with less solar exposure. Would more mean he'd be stronger ?

Zod was strong enough to hurt Superman, not necessarily as strong AS Superman.

They were in the same ballpark, sure, but that's how Kryptonians are in the comics too. They all get to a baseline level very quickly, but to go above that takes time.

Zod wouldn't have survived the World Engine, for example, imo.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
This whole statement contradicts its self..

Movie watching fail..

Common sense and logic failure... In this your first time watching a movie with big clownshoes on? You do know that generally and 99% of the time the hero ALWAYS wins and saves the day. That is what happens. So superman winning doesn't mean he was stronger or more powerful by any means. We see this all the time in comics as well. Maybe you should check out more movies and you'll realize somebody winning or losing doesn't mean it was PIS or CIS or that they were more powerful

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by -Pr-
Zod was strong enough to hurt Superman, not necessarily as strong AS Superman.

They were in the same ballpark, sure, but that's how Kryptonians are in the comics too. They all get to a baseline level very quickly, but to go above that takes time.

Zod wouldn't have survived the World Engine, for example, imo.

Big Buddy... His father notes that he was STONGER than he could ever imagine. He explains this by specifically saying he has been soaking up the sun for so long. Him saying he's stronger than he could imagine means stronger than the typical kryptonian... or else he would be able to imagine it. Yet, he didn't seem stronger than Zod and Zod got used to his powers faster than superman did. So with significantly less exposure... Zod appeared every bit as stronger and certainly showed he could adapt quicker than superman.

Firefly218
"Stronger than he could possibly imagine" could also refer to his not realizing Kryptonions would be so powerful on Earth. This wouldn't implicate that Jor - El regarded his son as stronger than the typical Kryptonian. BTW, Zod wasn't a typical Kryptonian - he was a combat trained general.

ares834
Originally posted by quanchi112
Make up your own mind for once. Do you need someone to hold your hand throughout the entire movie.

laughing out loud

thumb up

jinXed by JaNx

I don't have an investment in the argument but you don't have to be stronger than someone or even very strong at all to break some ones neck. I've never personally broken some ones neck but I know it only takes seven pounds of the right leverage of pressure to snap the femur bone. The neck is much less durable and has far less muscle protecting it.

With all of that said I still think Superman is stronger, definitely not as skilled but stronger. He certainly has the most impressive strength feats in the movie.

Superman withstood the world engine and Zod couldn't escape Supermans grasp. I don't see Zod having any trouble snapping Supermans neck if he got the upper hand though

-Pr-
Big Buddy... His father notes that he was STONGER than he could ever imagine. He explains this by specifically saying he has been soaking up the sun for so long. Him saying he's stronger than he could imagine means stronger than the typical kryptonian... or else he would be able to imagine it. Yet, he didn't seem stronger than Zod and Zod got used to his powers faster than superman did. So with significantly less exposure... Zod appeared every bit as stronger and certainly showed he could adapt quicker than superman.

I don't agree, and I honestly think you're reaching a bit.

Jor-El had no way of knowing how powerful Kryptonians would get on Earth. So he has no basis of comparison.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by Firefly218
"Stronger than he could possibly imagine" could also refer to his not realizing Kryptonions would be so powerful on Earth. This wouldn't implicate that Jor - El regarded his son as stronger than the typical Kryptonian. BTW, Zod wasn't a typical Kryptonian - he was a combat trained general.

Doubt it... because he sent him there KNOWING that the earth's sun was young and better than Krypton's. He's also fully aware what Kryptonians are capable of in battle. So him saying that seems very clear that Superman had grown stronger and more powerful than what he was used to seeing them be capable of. Zod then did everything Superman could do without the benefit of soaking up the Sun's radiation that Kal-El had soaked up his whole life.

KuRuPT Thanosi

Jor-El had no way of knowing how powerful Kryptonians would get on Earth. So he has no basis of comparison.

Correct he has no idea.. but HE DOES KNOW how strong Kryptonians were on Krypton. That he's an expert at. He sent him to earth because of how young the sun was there. When superman finds the scout shit and his conscious is brought back... he then can see what superman has become.. and THEN notes he's stronger than he could ever possibly imagine. He said this after seeing his son and what he had become. Zod with significantly less exposure to a much more powerful sun.. seemed everybody bit as strong as superman and adapted to his powers much much quicker.

Robtard
That (imo) implies that Jor-El knew Kal would gain superpowers from being on Earth; just the extent went above his expectations.

-Pr-
Correct he has no idea.. but HE DOES KNOW how strong Kryptonians were on Krypton. That he's an expert at. He sent him to earth because of how young the sun was there. When superman finds the scout shit and his conscious is brought back... he then can see what superman has become.. and THEN notes he's stronger than he could ever possibly imagine. He said this after seeing his son and what he had become. Zod with significantly less exposure to a much more powerful sun.. seemed everybody bit as strong as superman and adapted to his powers much much quicker.

Kryptonians on krypton are human level though...

And theres still the question of restraint on supermans part during his life.

Time Immemorial

Thats not correct, he knew how strong he would be on earth, which is why he sent his only son there. As he stated he will be a God to them, his cells will drink the young stars radiation. When Jor El visted Clark on earth, he told him why he had powers beyond anyone on earth, his point was to keep pushing himself to see if he had any limits.

Time Immemorial

Incorrect, he knew how strong his son would be, watch the movie again, this time from the beginning.

Zod saw what powers Kal had an knew he could have them as well, Kal also told him how to control his powers.

Did you watch any of the movie or understand any of it?

KuRuPT Thanosi
Incorrect, he knew how strong his son would be, watch the movie again, this time from the beginning.

Zod saw what powers Kal had an knew he could have them as well, Kal also told him how to control his powers.

Did you watch any of the movie or understand any of it?

Do you have an impediment to comprehension or something? I mean I like how you didn't answer my previous post quoting you were you went all dumb all me... With the whole.. ohh he won.. thus he must be stronger and better.. forgetting how often we have PIS and CIS in movies or comics or any medium that allows the good guy to win. I know why you didn't answer... moving on here...

I might just have to call you shoes from now on.. He doesn't KNOW how strong superman would be, in fact, this is proven when he says you've become more powerful than I could've possible imagined. This totally and completely crushes your theory that he KNEW EXACTLY how strong he would be on earth. Can you explain to me how you can try and sound condescending towards someone and act like you have the answer. Only to turn around and look like a totally buffoon? Is that a natural talent you show all the time or just in the movie forum? So now that we destroyed that theory.

Him being told what to do doesn't change the fact that Zod had SIGNFICANTLY LESS EXPOSURE to a sun that was stated as fact to make Kryptonians especially strong. He could be told or shown all the wants but he had SIGNIFICANTLY less exposure to SOAK UP THE SOLAR ENERGY OF THE SUN than Superman.. and yet he was able to replicate his powers and do everything Superman could in a vastly shorter period of time. How can you explain significantly less exposure to the sun and soaking up its radiation yet being able to do everything someone else can who has been soaking up since he was a child? Do tell

-Pr-
Thats not correct, he knew how strong he would be on earth, which is why he sent his only son there. As he stated he will be a God to them, his cells will drink the young stars radiation. When Jor El visted Clark on earth, he told him why he had powers beyond anyone on earth, his point was to keep pushing himself to see if he had any limits.

He knew he would be powerful on Earth, but not to what extent. That's a very, very important distinction.

And there's still the point of Clark's restraint, imo.

safado
I think the theme of the film is the kryptonians dynamic power set. Superman grew up learning to restrain his powers at all costs, when he cuts loose in the comics or in the movie he's on another level. The movies are following the nudcu. And this has always been the dynamic, it's more reinforced now

Jorel makes so many references to superman always testing his limits that we see this in a lot of scenes where superman should be outgunned, but he makes it happen. World engine, fighting two of his peepers, escaping the gravitational pull of the black hole..........

Iow when superman doesn't hold back he's more powerful than pretty much anybody.

Zod is a general. He searched for power as soon as it found him and he exploited it. His normal is better than supermans average. Superman cutting loose tools zod

Time Immemorial
How can you explain significantly less exposure to the sun and soaking up its radiation yet being able to do everything someone else can who has been soaking up since he was a child? Do tell

Its explained by Zod stating " I was bred to be a warrior, Kal. Trained my entire life to master my senses. Where did you train? ON A FARM?"

Actually, the buffoon part is on you, they explain everything in the movie.

Esau Cairn
Its explained by Zod stating " I was bred to be a warrior, Kal. Trained my entire life to master my senses. Where did you train? ON A FARM?"

Yeah this is the same "trained warrior" that gets taken down by a scientist in the beginning of the movie. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Epicurus
Jor-El openly believed that Kal would be a god on Earth to the humans. To the point that they would be unable to kill him.erm

And I also disagree with the idea that on Krypton kryptonians are human level. The higher gravity and harsher conditions necessitate for them to be tougher than humans, if not as superhumanly tough as they would be under a yellow sun.

safado
LOL

The "you're stronger than I ever imagined" was pretty obviously IMO a comment on the man he had become. Jor-El knew he would have the powers of a God but he was always encouraging Superman to test his limits. The common theme of Superman's cutting loose equalling an infinitely mmore powerful Superman who has spent his entire life trying not to hurt others

Zod went straight for the power and had no compunctions. He's a military man. I didn't mind seeing him physically get beaten by Jor-El, I never thought of Zod as a fighter. usually when serious skill or power was needed Zod called in Non and Faora or whoever, I always thought of him as a ruthless leader.

Zod had a point in the film, Superman was capable of restoring the entire Kryptonian race, shame he didn't want to do it on mars or something along those lines but IMO we didn't see the beginnnoning of Superman's power really start to flourish until Zod's did as well

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Yeah this is the same "trained warrior" that gets taken down by a scientist in the beginning of the movie. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Its Jor El played by Russel Crowe, you think Zod could actually beat him in combat? 😂😂😂

Time Immemorial
If Jor El had had powers he would have wrecked all of them at once and snapped all their necks from the start.

Esau Cairn
Point also...Zod may have been a general in rank but the Kryptonians didn't seem to be a warlike race (at the start of MOS).
Zod & his crew just came across as a "brute police force".
It's hard to speculate juz how much combat experience Zod had prior to fighting Kal.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by safado
LOL

The "you're stronger than I ever imagined" was pretty obviously IMO a comment on the man he had become. Jor-El knew he would have the powers of a God but he was always encouraging Superman to test his limits. The common theme of Superman's cutting loose equalling an infinitely mmore powerful Superman who has spent his entire life trying not to hurt others

Zod went straight for the power and had no compunctions. He's a military man. I didn't mind seeing him physically get beaten by Jor-El, I never thought of Zod as a fighter. usually when serious skill or power was needed Zod called in Non and Faora or whoever, I always thought of him as a ruthless leader.

Zod had a point in the film, Superman was capable of restoring the entire Kryptonian race, shame he didn't want to do it on mars or something along those lines but IMO we didn't see the beginnnoning of Superman's power really start to flourish until Zod's did as well

Welcome over from Herochat lol... How do you explain Zod not soaking up the suns rays for years like Kal El... and really only being able to maybe do it for a day or so.. being able to compete with Kal El physically? It's expressed very clearly.. that superman soaking up the sun for so long has made him "more powerful than Jor El could've ever imagined" (and he already knew he would be a god on earth). Zod with SIGNIFICANTLY less sun exposure.. was able to match him physically for the most part and do everything Kal El could do.. How do you explain this?

Time Immemorial
Go watch the movie again.

Time Immemorial
Here is a better question or something to think about that is not explained.

The Oil Rig Scene.

One second he is on his boat hearing about the oil rig on fire, the very next we see him climbing the tower.

How did he get there so fast without being able to fly.

Did he jump or super speed swim that distance?

super pr*xy
i think he swam.. he never knew he could fly until later in the movie..

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by super pr*xy
i think he swam.. he never knew he could fly until later in the movie..

So he was there in less then a second. Must be a fast swimmer laughing

super pr*xy
you think he jumped from the boat to the rig?

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by super pr*xy
you think he jumped from the boat to the rig?

Nah I think he swam fast as hell

Esau Cairn
So he was there in less then a second. Must be a fast swimmer laughing

He straddled Momoa's back. stick out tongue

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
He straddled Momoa's back. stick out tongue

laughing out loud

K-Dog
It appeared that an atmospheric change caused them to change physically almost instantly. Look at how Kal-el became weak on the Kryptonian ship and passed out and coughed up blood almost instantly. They got powerful almost immediately on earth also. Do they get full power immediately or just mostly? Don't know.
Concerning Kal's ability to match Zod: I took it as Jor-el was pretty tough, and Kal was a little bigger and probably just a genetically above average guy to begin with and that helped him compensate perhaps. And as already mentioned, maybe he got a lucky upper hand when Zod went nuts.

Esau Cairn
The thing is too, however old you perceive Kal to be, Zod spent that entire time trapped on his ship looking for Earth. Zod would've been pretty rusty on his combat skills whilst Kal was discovering & perfecting his super powers.

Time Immemorial
Zod always bows before Superman.

Esau Cairn
Zod always bows before Superman.

That's one porn version I DO NOT WANT TO SEE. confused

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.