No Man's Sky

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Demonic Phoenix
Because this demo obviously won E3.

MZO40WBNA60

0APP5WcX8v8

NemeBro
thumb up

The only question is whether or not I can murder the fauna populating the worlds I explore.

If I can be a spacefaring Great White Hunter it's instant game of the year.

Smasandian
It does look pretty nifty. I hope there is something more than just visiting worlds.

Demonic Phoenix
http://kotaku.com/how-a-seemingly-impossible-game-is-possible-1592820595

NemeBro
Hyped.

Reading the newest Game Informer implied that you can indeed kill the shit out of the various animals on worlds on foot.

I'll greatly enjoy that, I think.

Demonic Phoenix
Did GI say when it is coming out?

NemeBro
Nope, just says TBA.

Smasandian
Still I would like to know if there is anything else than just visiting worlds....

Some people might love that aspect and I think it's damn nifty (especially considering there is no load screens) but I would get crazy bored.

NemeBro
You can get into large-scale space battles (Other plays can be involved IIRC) and can kill the shit out of said worlds' inhabitants, that I recall.

Smasandian
That's all good if that's what you want. I always like some sort of story element.

Impediment
So, is this game worth all the hype? Looks interesting, but kinda tedious.

Jmanghan
I can't buy the game unless it has some form of melee combat (besides pistol whipping).

jaden101
It's a bit repetitive so far. I've been at it for about 25 hours and met 50+ aliens from 3 different species (I think they're the only 3 main species). I've switched ships 3 times. Upgraded my suit and changed my mining tool/weapon loads of times. Collected 7 atlas stones. Visited 40+ star systems and over 100 planets and documented, recorded and then shot fvck out of loads of animals and plants. Been involved in a few random space battles which if the algorithm decides you're due to be killed then you can't really avoid them unless you're just outside a planet's orbit or right outside a space station in which case going back in seems to reset your pursuers out of existence.

Smasandian
I understand the draw this game has for people but I have no ****ing interest in it.

Finding planets? Ok, that sounds like a fun backdrop for a game.
Upgrading Suits? Sure. Not a problem.
Finding crafting materials? Yep. Enjoying Far Cry Primal for that exact reason.
Nothing else? Nope!

I just find the reason those gameplay mechanics exist completely meaningless. Why am I playing it? Just to see planets? I need something more than that.

A game like FTL, which is not the same as No Man's Sky but it has the same exploratory wonder has a mechanic where you need to keep on moving so you don't get caught by a huge enemy force. Things happen on the way. Trying to survive hostile encounter and all that stuff. Why couldn't this game have that?

I just don't see a reason to play it.

jaden101
There's several story elements. There's the atlas journey in which you help a couple of genius intelligence gatherer types who appear as a space anomaly to gather info about the universe and in return you get gear, learn languages etc. There's also the main theme of getting to the centre of the universe in which the atlas guys help but you have to make choices as to what you want help with. Tech to explore, atlas locations or black hole locations that give you huge jumps towards the centre. The problem being if you choose black hole jumps every time, the closer you get to the centre the harder the pirate ships are and you end up outgunned badly. Some star systems also have battles that you warp right into the middle and you can join either side either for look for attacking or rewards for defending.

To anyone playing I'll say this. If you find a planet with either sac venoms or gravitino balls then plunder the shit of them and get into the 10's of millions of units cos you'll need it for the exosuit upgrades

ares834
Welcome to No Man's Sky!

Inhuman
Originally posted by ares834
Welcome to No Man's Sky!

lol

Also heard this was single player only.
no thx erm

Smasandian
But there must be some planet out there that looks that E3 footage.

I would be interested to see what type of game No Man Sky would of been if a major developer created it.

Because what it is now is pretty lackluster. Wouldn't it be too much to have a persistent online world with a few million planets but have a gameplay system that allows you to create structures and your own colony? Basically a Rust/Minecraft type experience?

Jmanghan
Idk, hearing that its single-player only makes me wanna get it.

I hate having to encounter other players in games like Destiny and shit, it takes away from the magic for me.

The goal is to get to the center of the universe(?)

Nemesis X
You know what No Man's Sky has got the one up on Destiny over? THE FACT YOU CAN FLY THE SHIPS YOU BUY.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Nemesis X
You know what No Man's Sky has got the one up on Destiny over? THE FACT YOU CAN FLY THE SHIPS YOU BUY. Knowing Activision, it'll be another $40.00 DLC (ACTUALLY FLY TO YOUR MISSIONS FOR JUST 39.99!!!)

Kazenji
Activision doesn't stop there with their ridiculous pricing, Charging too much for the those Marvel Ultimate Alliance games.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Kazenji
Activision doesn't stop there with their ridiculous pricing, Charging too much for the those Marvel Ultimate Alliance games. I liked the Ultimate Alliance games quite a bit.

Nemesis X
uTTPlqK8AnY

I smell inevitable class action lawsuits against this game.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I liked the Ultimate Alliance games quite a bit.

Besides the point

there's no way i'm paying $60 ****en doller's for a 11 year old game.

Nemesis X
RvAwB7ogkik

Nemesis X
Players who bought No Man's Sky have gotten refunds from both Steam, Amazon and even Sony. Ouch.

Zack Fair
lol

Kazenji

I smell inevitable class action lawsuits against this game.

That's just sad if it actually happen's.

Smasandian
I usually don't believe in class action lawsuits but there is a lot of stuff that No Man Sky dude said that is not part of the game. It's especially egregious when it was said just in the last 6 months.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian
I usually don't believe in class action lawsuits but there is a lot of stuff that No Man Sky dude said that is not part of the game. It's especially egregious when it was said just in the last 6 months.

Doesn't mean for people to do lawsuits or even send death threats to the developer.

Trocity
It is a pretty shit game, played it at a buddy's last weekend. Glad I didn't buy it, lol.

Nemesis X

Yep.

cJ-tgaE37UE

Zack Fair
People need to learn to not get carried away with hype. I was never interested because there was no way they could deliver.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Zack Fair
People need to learn to not get carried away with hype. I was never interested because there was no way they could deliver. If people didn't get carried away with hype then there would be no backlash. A lack of backlash tells devs that they can get away with being phaggots. Hopefully this heavy backlash comes with a significant portion of the people who bought the game getting refunds, and also with Sean Murray being raped and murdered in his home.

Smasandian
Seriously?

Backlash is OK. Asking for a refund is OK. Criticising developers and pointing out the lies is OK. All this should be about constructive criticism so they can fix whatever is wrong with the game. Or at least help consumers stay away from the developer's next title.

However, saying the guy should be raped and murdered because the team made a bad game is ****ing pathetic. If that's the what you want to say, go ahead but get the **** out of here. All this because of a ****ing video game....

jaden101
Seriously?

Backlash is OK. Asking for a refund is OK. Criticising developers and pointing out the lies is OK. All this should be about constructive criticism so they can fix whatever is wrong with the game. Or at least help consumers stay away from the developer's next title.

However, saying the guy should be raped and murdered because the team made a bad game is ****ing pathetic. If that's the what you want to say, go ahead but get the **** out of here. All this because of a ****ing video game....

Get raped!

And murdered!

(in which order is optional)

NemeBro
Seriously?

However, saying the guy should be raped and murdered because the team made a bad game is ****ing pathetic. If that's the what you want to say, go ahead but get the **** out of here. All this because of a ****ing video game.... How's about you get the **** back on the bed and wet your lips for daddy's milk?

Trocity
Women suck at sports.

Kazenji

thumb up

Cut some of these developer's some ****en slack, ignoring how the finished product turned out for this game

should be at least happy someone decided to work this hard to create something interesting and awesome in the first place.

Nemesis X
Cut some of these developer's some ****en slack, ignoring how the finished product turned out for this game

should be at least happy someone decided to work this hard to create something interesting and awesome in the first place.

So those who bought No Man's Sky should be happy with what they got because it's better than nothing? A developer lied more than thirty times, tricking people into spending $60 for a game with not even half the amount promised and we should be ok with that?

Seriously?

Agreed.

Nemesis X

Say you ordered a large pepperoni pizza but the delivery guy instead brought a plain small sized cheese pizza without even the pepperoni, would you still pay for it as a large pepperoni as long as it's still a pizza you should be grateful for having at all?

Kazenji
So those who bought No Man's Sky should be happy with what they got because it's better than nothing?

its not what i'm saying at all

Oh so the developer might have lied, So lets have a ***** about it and send him death threats (Not saying that were one of those many people who that) ?

Nemesis X
its not what i'm saying at all

I'd like to know what you meant if that wasn't it.

It's not okay but the developer still shouldn't have lied. No, I don't agree with sending death threats so don't take that out of context.

Smasandian
I had a thought about this game.

There is a video from GT Live where some guy is freak out about this game. He was always asking, "but what do you do in this game?" and was getting agitated. Then I remember that I had a similar conversation with a friend and I had the same view.

My point is that this game is a perfect game for the divided opinion between a optimist or a pessimist. The optimist sees something that could be very grand and amazing, filled with amazing things (and they are not wrong to base that assumption on pre-release trails and videos) and the pessimist realized that there isn't anything to do.

I find it interesting. And I think the major blowback from gamers are the people who were optimists who believed that this game would usher a new type of experience and wonderment when in fact, it's a shitty survival game with nothing to do.

It's sad because the technology within this game could of added an element to a FPS, RPG, Sim that would turn it into something magical.

NemeBro
thumb up

should be at least happy someone decided to work this hard to create something interesting and awesome in the first place. "You should be happy a many lied about his video game to sell more copies than it would warrant on the game's own merits".

No. thumb down

**** the **** off.

As for whether or not I actually believe he should die for his raging phaggotry, that is for you to decide.

Kazenji
Originally posted by NemeBro
"You should be happy a many lied about his video game to sell more copies than it would warrant on the game's own merits".

No. thumb down

**** the **** off.

As for whether or not I actually believe he should die for his raging phaggotry, that is for you to decide.

Stop trying to put your own words into my mouth.

cdtm
According to the latest Punk Effect "Completely Unnecessary Podcast", it looks like No Man's Sky lost about 90% of their player base overnight.

From the way they talk about the game, it sounds like it's actually a bit worse right now then Elite: Frontier. (Which was AWESOME, once you get past the learning curve.)

Nemesis X
So Sony's president threw Sean Murray under the bus today, condemning his PR strategy creating the hype for No Man's Sky. Brutal.

Smasandian
That's crazy.

People criticize AAA development and say it's stagnant (which is a true statement) but I wonder how well this game would of turned out if the was taken out of Hello Games hands and put into a major developer. It could of been an amazing game. However, it's turned into a neat idea but with shitty components and mechanics.

People criticize games when they go overboard on features and they don't turn out well. It doesn't help when the game is barren in gameplay mechanics and the mechanics that are presenet are shit as well. It's the worst of two worlds.

NemeBro
It's the E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy vs. Destiny comparison. The former has a lot of great ideas and originality but is hampered by being an unpolished piece of shit, and the latter is creatively bankrupt and by the numbers but looks and feels great due to its big boy AAA polish.

Games that feature the best of both worlds are rare.

CosmicComet
So Sony's president threw Sean Murray under the bus today, condemning his PR strategy creating the hype for No Man's Sky. Brutal.

Uhhh there was no throwing under the bus.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Uhhh there was no throwing under the bus.

eHcCaIgYGLw

Smasandian
Originally posted by NemeBro
It's the E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy vs. Destiny comparison. The former has a lot of great ideas and originality but is hampered by being an unpolished piece of shit, and the latter is creatively bankrupt and by the numbers but looks and feels great due to its big boy AAA polish.

Games that feature the best of both worlds are rare.

Meh, EYE Devine I haven't played so I can't really say but after seeing a video review and synopsis of it's gameplay mechanics, it just looks like a Deus Ex clone.

Not sure where you get that it's original.

There are games that are AAA quality that have original thought. It's not all the time but it's hardly rare.

Kazenji
Noticed they've brought out a update with some new things

too little too light methinks.

Smasandian
Also, not sure why they didn't wait for this update for the initial release.......

Kazenji
I watched a video and the person pointed out how this game could be the new Minecraft, How with that one new things got added over time.

Smasandian
Well...I guess...but the game was ridiculed for being completely barren in terms of anything gameplay related. And it ****ing suffered for it. Having the ability to build bases in the vanilla game would of been very important for the release.

Personally, I always believe the tech was neat but you should of been able to build a civilization on a planet......

They should of limited the amount of planets by like 95% and have people build worlds and civilizations similarly to how you do in 4X games. They should of had a robust ship building aspect and be a seamless online world where you can attack/defend your planets/civ. That would of been ****ing cool.

Nemesis X
Despite all the flak, support for No Man's Sky continued and now it's...good?

V9Asatbi0GA
Nr_z4R3ho5E
Zt-hMnWsEvQ

Kazenji
So i've heard that the game is actually good now, Problem is alot of folks have jumped ship before it did it good with all the updates.

Tzeentch
shut up retard

Kazenji
Stop talking about yourself.

Nemesis X
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/350/332/64d.gif

The Lost
Okay, so, has this game actually gotten better? I was considering it but what do people who still play this game (or play this game now, at least) think?

Smasandian
I heard it was better. I never played but they added a ton of features in the last two years. The base building looks really cool and I haven't been able to find a game that can do it well (aside from sims of course).

I might pick it up in the future. Personally, Hello Games might consider releasing this on Xbox Game Pass....they might get a ton of people to try it out.

cdtm
I'll never pick it up. Why reward bad behavior?

Taking people's money on the strength of features you know aren't implemented yet isn't good business, it's a con. And everyone who bought the thing early fell for it.

Smasandian
Well....I didn't reward bad behaviour.

But isn't it good behavior to spend the next 2 years creating content to fix the game for free?

90% of the developers would just leave it and bury it and hope people forget. Hello Games decided to own up their mistakes, release new content to create something different.

cdtm
I call that "damage control".

And if enough people are interested, despite their tactics, they'd be fools to abandon it.

Smasandian
Yeah so.....how is damage control a problem?

I'm not getting the hate. Can a restaurant fix a menu item after feedback? Yes, they can. Can any manufacture of a good not allowed to fix issues that were found after it was sold? Yes.

A company like Hello Games should be congratulated for making a honest effort to fix the issues that were present when the game was released and also release a fair bit of content for free.

They should be heavily criticized for what they released and what happened before the game was released but if the game turns out to be fun 2 years later, your are not rewarding bad behaviour for the mistakes they had...you are rewarding good behaviour for fixing and releasing fairly large updates.

Nemesis X
Yeah I'd rather someone spend time cleaning up their mess than leave it in the room to smell. However it's looked at, gotta give Hello Games credit not abandoning their game when most devs would.

Gotta say with improved animals & ecosystem, customization that lets you change race and appearence, multiplayer with sharing features, base building, land vehicles, improved space battles, etc., have to say that all sounds pretty cool.

cdtm
Bad comparison. A diner doesn't take your money for lobster and give you sardines.

NMS promised lobster, took peoples money, and you got sardines. If they were upfront about what you were paying into now, and promised to make it better, fair enough. That isn't what happened. They chose deception over transparency.

That's bad in and of itself, but the industry as a whole has been getting away with this for awhile now. Kickstarters abound of broken promises, backers left dangling in the wind, and offering full price for a beta demo.

To each your own, but I choose not to support such practices.

cdtm
Yeah I'd rather someone spend time cleaning up their mess than leave it in the room to smell. However it's looked at, gotta give Hello Games credit not abandoning their game when most devs would.

Gotta say with improved animals & ecosystem, customization that lets you change race and appearence, multiplayer with sharing features, base building, land vehicles, improved space battles, etc., have to say that all sounds pretty cool.

It does sound good.

As long as the system requirements are low enough, I may have gotten this.

I'd bet the guilty party isn't even the programmers. There's probably a PR/marketing guy that that handled the business end, and the programmers just want to make a good game.

Won't do it, though. You get burned enough times, you learn to avoid the fires. For example, when Mika Mobile chose to stop supporting Android devices, guess who was stuck with a dated game while IOS enjoyed the latest patch's? And later, Mika released an updated "Battleheart" free to the Android users as a promotion for their sequel that they chose to offer on the platform they abandoned. After telling their paying customers before jumping ship that updates are impossible, or "not worth the effort". That was certainly a further slap in the face to those who paid for their dated copy, looking at the "free" up to date version.

Or, when another company was having issues with mid end rigs running their fantasy game that looked worse then Flash games, they went and said "This is meant for high end rigs!" Basically a virtual middle finger to their supporters.

Converely, I have nothing but respect for outfits like the FTL: Faster Then Light people, who did everything right.

But I'm not saying "you" shouldn't enjoy it. you pay for it, by all means you should enjoy it.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by cdtm
Bad comparison. A diner doesn't take your money for lobster and give you sardines.

NMS promised lobster, took peoples money, and you got sardines. If they were upfront about what you were paying into now, and promised to make it better, fair enough. That isn't what happened. They chose deception over transparency.

That's bad in and of itself, but the industry as a whole has been getting away with this for awhile now. Kickstarters abound of broken promises, backers left dangling in the wind, and offering full price for a beta demo.

To each your own, but I choose not to support such practices.

But if you waited until now to get it, wouldn't that mean you didn't support the early version but a better one?

Nemesis X
Originally posted by cdtm
I'd bet the guilty party isn't even the programmers. There's probably a PR/marketing guy that that handled the business end, and the programmers just want to make a good game.

There's always that possibility. From EA and Bioware to Disney and Capcom to maybe Sony and Hello Games (when NMS was a timed exclusive), someone wants a deadline met no matter how much it hurts the game sometimes.

Except NMS wasn't abandoned nor did it's separate versions receive any exclusive content that I know of. I get what you're saying though and this kinda stuff is why I don't usually pre-order or give support prior to the launch of something. I knew to wait out on NMS and sure enough, it was ass. Now it looks playable.

thumb up

cdtm
So how strong a rig do you need for this thing?

On a mobile Intel card. One of the better ones, that Doom 2016 was designed to play with.

To put it in perspective, if I bought Dragon Ball Fighter Z, I can play it, but I'd need to reduce the settings to half or low.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.