Iraq

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Immemorial
Looks like the US is prolly going back in with air.....dear God.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/12/world/meast/iraq-violence/

Shabazz916
its america's fault for having the hands in every cookie jar... you cnt solve that part of the world.. they have been fighting foreva and we jumped in and now they are throwing planes at our buildings

Geeker
I work in personal security in the Middle East and I don't think the U.S. will involve itself directly. I do see proxies being used. I am certain that Iran with not want ISIS setting up a state across Iraq and Syria right on its backdoor. All we can do at the moment is watch and see what happens. The big question at the moment is can ISIS hold the regions it has taken.

riv6672
Overall opinion: Glad i retired.

Not sure what Shabazz meant about this being our fault. The US is responsible for ISIS?
I do agree about the fighting over there, though. Its like football to those people. Its not going anywhere, sadly.

Shabazz916
Originally posted by riv6672

Not sure what Shabazz meant about this being our fault. The US is responsible for ISIS?
I do agree about the fighting over there, though. Its like football to those people. Its not going anywhere, sadly.

Not sayn its our fault but the US stuck its head into a fight that wasnt there over oil. No we spent billions for no reason

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Shabazz916
Not sayn its our fault but the US stuck its head into a fight that wasnt there over oil. No we spent billions for no reason

Oil is a reason tho.

Shabazz916
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Oil is a reason tho.

and gas is still high as **** so was it worth it ?

Stealth Moose
and gas is still high as **** so was it worth it ?

For oil execs, yeah.

Shabazz916
For oil execs, yeah.

The Oil Execs didnt spend billions on a war. Countless lives.

jaden101
In the UK, politicians were talking about 'what we should do' and it was pointed out that on the same day 'we' were contemplating military intervention in Iraq again 'we' made another 1,000 armed forces personnel redundant the very same day.

Time Immemorial
If its for oil, why the hell has out prices not gone downsmile

Omega Vision
Worst case scenario, Iran intervenes militarily. If that happens, they'll probably decide that they might as well move on into Syria and make their long-running intervention official. At which point the entire Middle East might go to war on sectarian lines.

Time Immemorial
Time to glass Iraq?

riv6672

Okay, cool. Just wondering.

Time Immemorial
http://theweek.com/article/index/263149/iraq-war-iii-has-now-begun#axzz34eCEhrMe

The Renegade
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Time to glass Iraq?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/wtf/tumblr_m1vknqkfDX1qeyt27o1_500.gif

Stealth Moose
Yeah, that would solve all of Iraq's problems. No more war, no more suffering, no more oil.

Stoic
The scary part about all of this is ISIS's, or ISIL's (no one knows what to call them) involvement in all of this. I read that they are the richest terrorist organization in history, bumping the Al Queda down to second position. This seemingly happened very quickly in terms of bank fraud to outright money laundering. When I read about it, I got the feeling that some very powerful political figure/s had a hand in their quick rise. President Obama has apparently known about this situation for months now, and no one was alerted. If they continue to rise in power, I wonder if what was said in the bible will come to pass? It says that the Southern King (most likely Iran) will wage war against the Northern King, (most likely Germany) and will be thoroughly defeated by them (meaning Germany wipes the floor with them). Britain (UK) seems to be under fire at this time, so who can tell if this could happen. Just my thoughts on the subject.

http://biblehub.com/daniel/11-40.htm

Like I said, just my thoughts on this.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Stoic
The scary part about all of this is ISIS's, or ISIL's (no one knows what to call them) involvement in all of this. I read that they are the richest terrorist organization in history, bumping the Al Queda down to second position. This seemingly happened very quickly in terms of bank fraud to outright money laundering. When I read about it, I got the feeling that some very powerful political figure/s had a hand in their quick rise. President Obama has apparently known about this situation for months now, and no one was alerted. If they continue to rise in power, I wonder if what was said in the bible will come to pass? It says that the Southern King (most likely Iran) will wage war against the Northern King, (most likely Germany) and will be thoroughly defeated by them (meaning Germany wipes the floor with them). Britain (UK) seems to be under fire at this time, so who can tell if this could happen. Just my thoughts on the subject.

http://biblehub.com/daniel/11-40.htm

Like I said, just my thoughts on this.

New International Version
"At the time of the end the king of the South will engage him in battle, and the king of the North will storm out against him with chariots and cavalry and a great fleet of ships. He will invade many countries and sweep through them like a flood.

I'd love to see Germany steamroll Iranwith chariots and cavalry and ships.

Stoic
New International Version
"At the time of the end the king of the South will engage him in battle, and the king of the North will storm out against him with chariots and cavalry and a great fleet of ships. He will invade many countries and sweep through them like a flood.

I'd love to see Germany steamroll Iranwith chariots and cavalry and ships.

What would modern day chariots, and cavalry be?

Stealth Moose
Pretty sure the goatherds and sandfarmers back in those days couldn't fathom.

Stoic
Pretty sure the goatherds and sandfarmers back in those days couldn't fathom.

True, or perhaps false, who can tell. But that wasn't the question.

red g jacks

I do agree about the fighting over there, though. Its like football to those people. Its not going anywhere, sadly. i dunno... seems plausible that this is a direct consequence of taking out the saddam regime. isis has support primarily because the current (shia) govt has marginalized the sunni population. this all seems like an extension of the sectarian conflict which has plagued the country since the aftermath of the 2003 invasion... if you wanna go to root causes the it is probably just that the west was wrong to partition the country in such a way that you somehow have to maintain some kind of compromise between several different unfriendly groups in order for the country not to devolve into sectarian conflict and possible civil war.

jinXed by JaNx
Not sure what's goin on in Iraq but the last thing I read was the President saying something about America finally being able to win the war in Iraq and that historic achievements were made. Considering that this is the same guy that told us all to worry about Iraq and the problems America were causing in the middle East I totally trust him now that he's telling us it's all good. So yeah, that's a load off my mind.

Tzeentch
Do you even politics, bro?

truejedi
I think that people should stop telling other people what to do. Isis is mostly just going around telling other people what to do, and then also killing them. As well as not telling other people what to do, people should stop killing people.

Why are there always people who suck so hard? No matter how many people who suck get blown up, there are still people who suck.

uploadingco
There are many reasons for doing such things.

Originally posted by truejedi
I think that people should stop telling other people what to do. Isis is mostly just going around telling other people what to do, and then also killing them. As well as not telling other people what to do, people should stop killing people.

Why are there always people who suck so hard? No matter how many people who suck get blown up, there are still people who suck.

Time Immemorial
ISS is going nuts, killing and cutting people in half. "Death or Islam!" is their latest propaganda campaign.

Shakyamunison
ISS is going nuts, killing and cutting people in half. "Death or Islam!" is their latest propaganda campaign.

I thought they were Islamic. confused

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I thought they were Islamic. confused

Its a crisis, Iraq is doomed.

Shakyamunison
Its a crisis, Iraq is doomed.

That doesn't answer my question.

Lestov16
I wonder why the UNSC isn't on this. There is a threat of genocide and the formation of a terrorist state. Surely this requires international attention.

Robtard
http://theweek.com/article/index/263149/iraq-war-iii-has-now-begun#axzz34eCEhrMe

"ISIS took on and defeated a government force 15 times their size."

They're like WH40K Space Marines.

Robtard

"Death or Islam!"

"Or"; not "to".

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Lestov16
I wonder why the UNSC isn't on this. There is a threat of genocide and the formation of a terrorist state. Surely this requires international attention. The international community is tired, man.

Time Immemorial

They are like the Undead of Riddick verse. They Kill or convert anyone in their way.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Robtard
"ISIS took on and defeated a government force 15 times their size."

They're like WH40K Space Marines.

I'm pretty sure it's just that the Iraqi forces are pathetic, not that the ISIS are like the Space Marines.

Robtard
Lies! They're ****ing Islamic Space Marines!

Their devotion to Allah/Islam is about as strong as an Astartes' devotion to The Emperor though.

Lord Lucien
I wonder why the UNSC isn't on this. Thankfully, help is imminent. 60% of the UNSC fleet is en route to the Gulf from existing deployments. The first battle group should arrive within 48 hours.

ArtificialGlory
Their devotion to Allah/Islam is about as strong as an Astartes' devotion to The Emperor though.

The fanatic devotion is probably the only thing they've got in common with the Space Marines.

Robtard
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
The fanatic devotion is probably the only thing they've got in common with the Space Marines.

And the multi-lung

ArtificialGlory
And the multi-lung

... how do you know?

Time Immemorial
Its gonna be a 3rd war in Iraq. ISS has said blatantly that once they conquer Iraq they will begin acts of terror on the US.

Robtard
They won't conquer Iraq.

Tzeentch
Even if they did, "United States vs. random terrorist group in shithole Iraq" wouldn't constitute as a "World War".

ISIS looks big because they're ****ing with a country that barely has an infrastructure, let alone a military. Once they tango with us, we'll have what's left of them huddling in caves and crying on each others' beards within a month.

What's interesting to me is how so many people seem to "want" a World War 3. People seem to fiend for it on a subconscious level almost as much as people subconsciously fiend for Beyonce and Jay Z to get divorced. lol

Robtard
Originally posted by Tzeentch
What's interesting to me is how so many people seem to "want" a World War 3. People seem to fiend for it on a subconscious level almost as much as people subconsciously fiend for Beyonce and Jay Z to get divorced. lol

Indeed; I've seen similar.

I used to post on a automotive message board that had about a 70-75% conservative member base with several really far right loons. They outright expected and couldn't wait for an American Civil War 2.

ArtificialGlory
Guys, I'm pretty sure he meant a 3rd Iraqi war, not WW3.

Robtard
Lol, yeah, you're right.

Anyhow, Iran will likely get involved if it looks like ISIS will truly take over Iraq, as they can't afford to have an extremely radical Shi'a hating group as a neighbor who would in theory only gain in strength the longer they're in control.

Shakyamunison
Lol, yeah, you're right.

Anyhow, Iran will likely get involved if it looks like ISIS will truly take over Iraq, as they can't afford to have an extremely radical Shi'a hating group as a neighbor who would in theory only gain in strength the longer they're in control.

Maybe that's a good reason to not get involved. wink

Lestov16
So the people starving on that mountain should suffer because of geopolitics?

Shakyamunison
So the people starving on that mountain should suffer because of geopolitics?

I was being sarcastic.

Lestov16
Indeed you were

Star428
its america's fault for having the hands in every cookie jar... you cnt solve that part of the world.. they have been fighting foreva and we jumped in and now they are throwing planes at our buildings

I agree that we are not the world's policemen like our government seems to think and we get involved in way more matters than we should. It's the reason so many other countries hate us so much, imo.

Star428

I hear ya. I'm so glad I'm not in the Navy anymore because if I was I'd probably be spending most of my time at sea somewhere with all that's going on in the world. With that said, I do miss the ocean sometimes.

Time Immemorial
They won't conquer Iraq.

Who will stop them?

Lord Lucien
Who will stop them? Iran and/or Turkey. Israel too, if they start pushing up against their borders.

IS isn't some movie supervillain with magic powers stolen from the Tesseract. They number in the few thousands and their equipment, while pretty good compared to other terrorist organizations, is nothing compared to proper national militaries. Iraq's pathetic armed forces lacked resolve and discipline, and Syria's been decimated by the civil war. As those are the only two nations which IS is directly combating, they look like they're doing a great job. But they're fighting broken nations, not unified regional powers. If Iraq doesn't beat back IS, then Turkey and especially Iran will. They have an interest in not seeing a huge chunk of Mesopotamia taken over by zealots.

Time Immemorial
Well ISIS has captured a few provinces in Syria. They are spreading very quickly without any opposition to speak of.

Robtard
Wait until they bump into a professional army.

Time Immemorial
Wait until they bump into a professional army.

Yea like the USA, even when I was over there, this type of army is extremely hard to take down permanently as seen in the last invasion.

Robtard
I was thinking of Iran.

Time Immemorial
I was thinking of Iran.

They are making their way east to the coast, they have just captured a air base in Syria and want to take a naval base. Now they have jets, and will soon have a naval forces.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/25/world/middleeast/isis-militants-capture-air-base-from-syrian-government-forces.html

Robtard
They are making their way east to the coast, they have just captured a air base in Syria and want to take a naval base. Now they have jets, and will soon have a naval forces.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/25/world/middleeast/isis-militants-capture-air-base-from-syrian-government-forces.html

What type of planes and in what condition do you imagine they're in that they've captured?

Exactly.

Mindset
We should just bomb the whole world and start over.

Time Immemorial
What type of planes and in what condition do you imagine they're in that they've captured?

Exactly.

ISS is growing and very quickly. People thought they were nothing a few months ago, now they are taking over Syrian air force bases and provinces, 1000's of people from different nations around the world are joining their ranks. They are not just some petty militia as the administration would have you believe.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Mindset
We should just bomb the whole world and start over.

That would seem logicalsmile

Time Immemorial
As seen here they are recruiting people from around the world.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/article1450765.ece

Robtard

Time Immemorial

Lestov16
Yea like the USA, even when I was over there, this type of army is extremely hard to take down permanently as seen in the last invasion.

A war vet. Deja Vu....

Lord Lucien
ISS is growing and very quickly. Good use of tax dollars, I'm not opposed to this in the slightest.

Omega Vision

Based on what images have come out and statements by the Syrian Air Force (granted, not very reliable) most of the functioning aircraft were flown out before the base fell and the rest were destroyed either during the fight or by the base's defenders.

Even if they did capture a few functional attack jets, modern aircraft require so much maintenance and expertise that it would probably be a waste of ISIS's time and money to try to use them, and if they did they'd never pose a threat to the USAF or even the Syrian Air Force.

You probably think a jet just needs a pilot (hard enough to come by as it is for a group like ISIS), when in reality it needs a team of mechanics, a few guys to fuel it, and a shit load of spare parts, not to mention jet fuel and armaments.

As for them getting a navy, even if they captured the ENTIRE Syrian Navy they probably wouldn't pose much of a threat to any decent navy. They'd be more effective using speedboats than trying to become a conventional naval power.

Time Immemorial
Breaking news on CNN:
An American ISIS fighter has been killed and recovered.

Here it is on nbc on line

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/american-douglas-mcauthur-mccain-dies-fighting-isis-syria-n189081

Shakyamunison
Breaking news on CNN:
An American ISIS fighter has been killed and recovered.

Here it is on nbc on line

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/american-douglas-mcauthur-mccain-dies-fighting-isis-syria-n189081

Obama should go play a round of golf. wink

Time Immemorial
Obama should go play a round of golf. wink

I know, it sounds about time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.