Has anyone else given up the theatre?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

fostersAccount
I haven't been to the theatre in a few years now.
And I haven't had cable or TV for a couple years either, things really seem to be changing.

I just watch things streaming like netflix, and I order DVDs and watch them at home on the big screen. It's so much more comfortable than sitting with a bunch of strangers talking and crinkling their candy wrappers. I never have to watch commercials. I can drink or smoke if I so choose, and I can pause it whenever I want to go to the bathroom.

To me it is superior it almost every way! Maybe just not as fun to fool around with your SO during a film though stick out tongue

Dude111
Theres nothing I wanna see.... The last thing I saw in a movie theather was DIE HARD 4: Live free of die hard (I saw it 4 or 5 times http://images.killermovies.com/forums/smilies/biggrin.gif)

All the movie theaters near me have gone to DIGITAL also which I dont care for....... I like natural analog MUCH BETTER....

riv6672
I still go, mostly when my kids insist or when its something i feel i really want to see on a big screen.
Its not as much fun as when i was a kid though, growing up in New York. Personally i think the experience has lost some of its grandeur.

Oneness
Just about.

I'll give Star Wars a shot cause of Abrams and the assortment of actors, it's such a massive scale too with the 4 billion Lucas has put into it.

Dramatic quality on all fronts.

Lord Lucien
Huh, I was thinking this was going to be about traditional theatre. Like with plays and shit.

Dr Will Hatch
I don't know if going to the movie theater is going to be the same experience in the coming years. I'm kind of worried that Spielberg's and Lucas's prediction that eventually studios will just make a small number of blockbusters per year that cost $60-$70 a ticket while everything else goes to streaming or to television. Until that day comes, I'll still go. As convenient as Netflix and the internet in general is, I just like experience of getting out of the house and being a part of a communal experience.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
I just like experience of getting out of the house and being a part of a communal experience. And going to the movies is the only way you can think of doing that?

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
And going to the movies is the only way you can think of doing that?

No, I have a relatively active social life, and have a lot of hobbies besides watching fictional people talk/have sex/beat each other up. Why?

Oneness
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Huh, I was thinking this was going to be about traditional theater. Like with plays and shit. Ya know my most beloved cousin hasn't.

There's no operas around here, but in NWY there are. She's privileged to be so successful and to live in such an areas as she does. She takes pride in it I think.

Bardock42
Give up the telly? What are you? Mad??????

But yeah, I haven't had a TV subscription ever. I stream and torrent and listen to Podcasts and watch youtube instead....

I'll go to the theatre once or twice a year. Cause it can be a fun experience, going out with my girlfriend or friends or whatevs. Sadly the only Cinema showing English language films in the original is 40 mins away, or I'd go more often prolly. ****ing expensive that shit tho.

Clovie
Theatre is where they act plays LIVE. o.O

And i love it!

(And cinema is overrated, all those films are either way in telly like next year)

Bardock42
Originally posted by Clovie
Theatre is where they act plays LIVE. o.O

And i love it!

(And cinema is overrated, all those films are either way in telly like next year)

"Theatre" is the commonly used American English word for a cinema.

Clovie
I know, but IMO theatre is THEATRE and cinema is cinema.

Bardock42
Well, that's a valid opinion to have, but like 300 million+ people disagree.....

Clovie
It's their problem if they are wrong. big grin

Bardock42
It's their problem if they are wrong. big grin

Yeah. And as long as they only talk to each other there's no problem...

Clovie
But seriously if someone eg. invites me to a theatre I expect to see a play.

Bardock42
But seriously if someone eg. invites me to a theatre I expect to see a play.

If the guy of your dreams invites you to a theatre, and then brings you to a cinema, how would you feel about him?

Clovie
Impossible big grin
in polish teatr = teatr kino = kino.

Bardock42
Impossible big grin
in polish teatr = teatr kino = kino.

It's an English speaking guy of your dreams....

Clovie
Guy of my dreams would know a difference between theatre and cinema.

Bardock42
So it's a complete disqualifying quality?

You're too picky, yo...

Clovie
So what? No one wants me either way, so I can be as picky as possible erm

Robtard
Stop being so picky.

And FYI, it's often differentiated as theatre and movie theatre. The former being the live venue. Though you occasionally do here people say "cinema".

Last time I was at the theatre, saw The Book of Mormon; it was excellent.

Clovie
Why ?

Who wrote it?

Robtard
Because it was well put together and hilarious musical. Was surprised I liked it as much as I did.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker

Clovie
I like musicals big grin

StyleTime
Originally posted by Bardock42
"Theatre" is the commonly used American English word for a cinema.
Actually, "movies" is the common word. We say "I'm going to the movies" if we mean the cinema. "Movie theater" is also acceptable, but often refers to the building itself. "Well, there is a movie theater 5 minutes away. Let's go."

The word "theater" on its own, usually means plays/opera/etc, unless context indicates otherwise.

We rarely ever say "cinema." Sounds weird, although we understand it.

Clovie
Originally posted by StyleTime
Actually, "movies" is the common word. We say "I'm going to the movies" if we mean the cinema. "Movie theater" is also acceptable, but often refers to the building itself. "Well, there is a movie theater 5 minutes away. Let's go."

The word "theater" on its own, usually means plays/opera/etc, unless context indicates otherwise.

We rarely ever say "cinema." Sounds weird, although we understand it. THANK YOU!

fostersAccount
I started quite the controversy here.
And I've learned that I am not the man of clovie's dreams

Bardock42

We rarely ever say "cinema." Sounds weird, although we understand it.
My post said it's the word used for a cinema, not what is commonly said for going to the cinema. Secondly when I lived and/or visited the US "going to the theatre" was just as common, if not more, so it may be regionally different (like your fellow American thread starter's usage indicates). The part about it often being called "movie theatre" is of course true, but that's additional information I didn't go into, not a correction of my explanation.

dadudemon
I still go to the movie theater to watch a cinema every now and again.

I sure hope that sentence rustled some jimmies. lol

Since I do not like the idea of pirating films or TV Shows (Except for Game of Thrones...but I ALWAYS by the Blu-rays when the season comes out), I like to see brand new movies, that I have been anticipating, at the movie theater.

Lestov16
I love going to the theater. Nowadays more than ever even the worse blockbusters have some kind of amazing spectacle to them. It's always great to see entertaining films on the big screen.

Clovie
Originally posted by fostersAccount
I started quite the controversy here.
And I've learned that I am not the man of clovie's dreams eyes

StyleTime
My post said it's the word used for a cinema, not what is commonly said for going to the cinema. Secondly when I lived and/or visited the US "going to the theatre" was just as common, if not more, so it may be regionally different (like your fellow American thread starter's usage indicates). The part about it often being called "movie theatre" is of course true, but that's additional information I didn't go into, not a correction of my explanation.
I did miss that oh so crucial article of speech. My bad.

And maybe it is a regional thing, as others in the thread seemed confused by it too. foster how do you Maryland folks use "theater?"

The "movie theater" part wasn't meant to correct, it was just a "The More You Know" moment.
Originally posted by dadudemon
I still go to the movie theater to watch a cinema every now and again.

I sure hope that sentence rustled some jimmies. lol

Them's fighting words. uhuh

fostersAccount
typically people will say movies or movie theater.
you don't hear theater by itself..

spelling is not apparent in conversation if it's a er or re

StyleTime
So Bardock is just an evil person basically and I am right about everything I say ever?

Bardock42
So Bardock is just an evil person basically and I am right about everything I say ever?

I don't understand why the first part was ever in question.

Geeker
I prefer the Theatre. I saw Avenue Q a while back it was excellent!

Clovie
I don't understand why the first part was ever in question. Does it make me evil as well? dev

Bardock42
Does it make me evil as well? dev

We are evil together!!!

Clovie
mwahaha

K-Dog
Last indoor theatre move was the 2008 Hulk movie. Saw MIB 3 at a drive-in a couple of summers ago. We just don't go much. Got 3 small kids who go with their grandparents some. Netfix and cheap redbox movies get it done for us. I am in my late 30's. Movie excitement slows as we age, lol. (Old fart)

you get thorns
I do believe Mary Todd Lincoln did.

dadudemon
mwahaha

That's a great smilie. I wish we could still add it to a favorites list. I had such good ones on my favorites list.

Clovie
Originally posted by dadudemon
That's a great smilie. I wish we could still add it to a favorites list. I had such good ones on my favorites list. what fav list???
I use those which i remember from 5 years ago...

tongue10 purplequeen1 papillon

jinXed by JaNx
I love going to the movies. I don't make it out as much as I used to but it's still something I like to experience. I sometimes pay to see bad movies, but that's always a risk.

siriuswriter
The movie theaters where I live have $5 dollar Tuesdays, where every movie has a five dollar ticket fee and you can get free popcorn. So, that's usually when I go - but I don't go often, only if I think the movie is going to benefit from a big screen experience.

Lord Lucien
Cineplex has half-price Tuesdays.

popoyez
I haven't been to the theatre in a few years now.
And I haven't had cable or TV for a couple years either, things really seem to be changing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.