Computer buying advice

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

truejedi
Hey, i haven't bought a new computer in something like 6 years, and I'm completely out of date on what's important. I basically want to be able to stream netflix, and to use AutoCad, the latest system requirements for that are this:

Does it still work like it did when I last bought a computer, and when something says it has 4 GB of DDR2 Ram, you get to call it 8 gigs of RAM? Also, what do these system requirements mean in terms of processor SPEED? Does the GHZ matter?

Any advice about video cards?

Thanks so much.

Tzeentch
What are the specs of your current computer's processor, video card and RAM?

Start -> accessories -> system tools -> system info

ares834
Originally posted by truejedi
Does it still work like it did when I last bought a computer, and when something says it has 4 GB of DDR2 Ram, you get to call it 8 gigs of RAM?

No. For 8 GB of ram you will probably want two "sticks" of 4 GB ram whether it be DDR, DDR2, or DDR3 (get DDR3 if you need to buy new RAM).

Robtard
Originally posted by truejedi
Hey, i haven't bought a new computer in something like 6 years, and I'm completely out of date on what's important. I basically want to be able to stream netflix, and to use AutoCad, the latest system requirements for that are this:

Does it still work like it did when I last bought a computer, and when something says it has 4 GB of DDR2 Ram, you get to call it 8 gigs of RAM? Also, what do these system requirements mean in terms of processor SPEED? Does the GHZ matter?

Any advice about video cards?

Thanks so much.

If that's all you need. You can easily get by with an Intel i3 chip and 4gb of ram. I'd personally go for 8gb of ram. The onboard graphics the i3 provides should be sufficient for your lower-end needs.

If the price isn't too much (and it sometimes isn't depending on deals), get a Intel i5 computer.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.