Revan and HOT run the Gauntlet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kotor3
Boss Vitiate
Location where Vitiate fought Revan.

Full Rest after each battle.
ROTS Obi wan and Anakin
Traya and SF Malak
Dooku and Maul
Kun and Ulic
ANH Vader and Starkiller
Bane and Zannah

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
clear.

edit: never mind, probably go down at bane/zannah.

Kotor3
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
clear.

edit: never mind, probably go down at bane/zannah.

So, if Bane and Zannah were not in the thread you feel they would take Vitiate?

FreshestSlice
They have a chance at beating Bane and Zannah, though nowhere near as much as they do with beating everyone else.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Originally posted by Kotor3
So, if Bane and Zannah were not in the thread you feel they would take Vitiate?

Yep.

Kotor3
So I guess that means you feel Bane and Zannah can take on Vitiate. I guess that would be a possibility.

FreshestSlice
That's not what that necessarily means, actually. Bane and Zannah would be vunerable to Vitiate's mindrape, for instance. Revan and the HoT are both immune, from what we know.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Zannah and Bane should be powerful enough to resist it, like the HoT was In the dark temple.

That said: yeah, I think bane and zannah can take vitiate.

Kotor3
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
That's not what that necessarily means, actually. Bane and Zannah would be vunerable to Vitiate's mindrape, for instance. Revan and the HoT are both immune, from what we know.

Good point.

Kotor3
Zannah and Bane should be powerful enough to resist it, like the HoT was In the dark temple.

I do not see either being more powerful than Revan when it comes to will power and Revan had to prepare himself.

FreshestSlice

The HoT had already been under Vitiate's control, however; neither Bane nor Zannah have met, let alone been under, Vitiate's mind domination.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
True. But when it specifically notes that he was too powerful to be dominated, it implies something different. With Revan however, the novel explicitly states that he had to develop a countermeasure for the mental assault. Evidently there's two ways to resist it, and bane and zannah are powerful enough to do so.

FreshestSlice
The HoT was under Vitiate's control for a few weeks-months. He only needs to stop them for minutes. erm

Bane struggled with Zannah's illusions during their fight. I don't doubt that they have the power, even Revan broke his mind domination on his own, I doubt that they have the time.

Kotor3
True. But when it specifically notes that he was too powerful to be dominated, it implies something different. With Revan however, the novel explicitly states that he had to develop a countermeasure for the mental assault. Evidently there's two ways to resist it, and bane and zannah are powerful enough to do so.

Bane can be argued but you are saying that Zannah is more powerful than Revan?

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
I think the mechanics of Vitiate's mind domination are being misunderstood. He cannot mind dominate you and use other powers, he can only divert his attention to that. How do you think Revan knocked Vitiate on his ass?

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Bane can be argued but you are saying that Zannah is more powerful than Revan?

Zannah is just as, if not even more powerful than Bane, where the force is concerned.

FreshestSlice
I think the mechanics of Vitiate's mind domination are being misunderstood. He cannot mind dominate you and use other powers, he can only divert his attention to that. How do you think Revan knocked Vitiate on his ass?
Dominate one to attack the other, he mops up the rest. Nah, I know how it works. I've seen few fights talked about as much as Vitiate's.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
...Assuming he will be able to dominate one. Which he won't wink

The_Tempest
Dominate one to attack the other, he mops up the rest. Nah, I know how it works. I've seen few fights talked about as much as Vitiate's.

That's the problem, though.

The notion that Viti's mindhaxx is effortless has been utterly debunked by narration and Word of God and my own unassailable arguments. Even assuming that Viti can mindhaxx someone of Bane's caliber in combat, it's likely going to require immense focus and diversion of power, which leaves him vulnerable to attacks from Bane or Zannah.

It's not going to happen. erm

Kotor3
Zannah is just as, if not even more powerful than Bane, where the force is concerned.

Not to make this a separate discussion but I do not agree.

Kotor3
Question, wasn't the fact that Revan and Malak were already heading toward the darkside it made it easy for Vitiate to dominate their minds.

If you are a darksider is it easier for Vitiate to dominate your mind?

Emperordmb
I do not see either being more powerful than Revan when it comes to will power and Revan had to prepare himself.
Bane also has some of the best willpower feats in the whole mythos, and Zannah resisted his attempt to bodysnatch her. They are both very impressive when it comes to mental fortitude.

FreshestSlice
He needs prep, but the OP doesn't say without prep. And even if he didn't mind dominate them at first, his performance during the Chapter 2 finale shows that he has plenty of ways in defending himself and then dominating while you're recovering. If Revan didn't need to worry about it at all for the reasons you gave, he wouldn't have gone through the effort of teaching the Exile and Scourge.
Question, wasn't the fact that Revan and Malak were already heading toward the darkside it made it easy for Vitiate to dominate their minds.

I don't believe it's that cut and dry. Vitiate was able to complete their fall, that is why Revan and Malak stayed on the Dark Side even after breaking his domination, similar to Tol Braga, who was Dark Side of his on volition.

The_Tempest

Perhaps, but there's no evidence. Rather, those who are already in the midst of internal conflict are probably easier for Vitiate to subdue and enthrall. Which would make sense.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Not to make this a separate discussion but I do not agree.

Show me where Bane displays his force superiority over Zannah.

that said, they're not the ones facing Vitiate in this thread. It's Revan and the hero of tython. Both together should take Vitiate.

Kotor3
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Bane also has some of the best willpower feats in the whole mythos, and Zannah resisted his attempt to bodysnatch her. They are both very impressive when it comes to mental fortitude.

I hear ya.

Are there any examples of someone resisting Vitiate mind rape without first experiencing it?

The_Tempest
He needs prep, but the OP doesn't say without prep. And even if he didn't mind dominate them at first, his performance during the Chapter 2 finale shows that he has plenty of ways in defending himself and then dominating while you're recovering.

No one's suggesting that Viti is fangless in such a state, just that Bane and Zannah are more than powerful enough to exploit that sort of vulnerability.

If Revan didn't need to worry about it at all for the reasons you gave, he wouldn't have gone through the effort of teaching the Exile and Scourge.

Not at all. It could be that Revan, the consummate tactician who was once subjugated by Viti, took extra precautions to protect himself from a second successful attempt and wanted to maximize his chances of victory by imparting that same technique to his teammates.

But given Revan's lousy tactics when dealing with Viti to begin with, I understand your skepticism.

Emperordmb
I hear ya.

Are there any examples of someone resisting Vitiate mind rape without first experiencing it?
Are there any examples of Vitiate successfully mindraping somebody in combat?

The_Tempest
Word of God already declared that Viti can't pull that shit off on the fly against any powerful Jedi or Sith. Therefore the burden of proof falls squarely on those contesting that notion.

Kotor3
Show me where Bane displays his force superiority over Zannah.

that said, they're not the ones facing Vitiate in this thread. It's Revan and the hero of tython. Both together should take Vitiate.

Let me rephrase I do not want to get into a discussion of who is more powerful. It is really up to opinion. I have seem multiple debates on that topic.

I can see Revan and HOT winning as a possibility.

Kotor3
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Perhaps, but there's no evidence. Rather, those who are already in the midst of internal conflict are probably easier for Vitiate to subdue and enthrall. Which would make sense.

Makes sense.

Kotor3

The examples I know of he usually does it before the battle starts. If he is not successful then you have a battle.

Emperordmb
The examples I know of he usually does it before the battle starts. If he is not successful then you have a battle.
When has that ever been his go-to response when someone is trying to fight him?

I don't recall him mind****ing anyone before a battle starts ever.

FreshestSlice
*snip*
Yeah, I can see that, not that it worked either way. I by no means think that it's an instant thing.

As to if the HoT and Revan can beat Zannah and Bane, I do not know. Bane is more powerful than Revan, and while the HoT may be able to deal with Zannah, he would not be able to deal with a duo of Bane and Zannah, as well as my doubts that he would be able to defeat Zannah, especially with prep, before Bane defeats Revan.

Kotor3
When has that ever been his go-to response when someone is trying to fight him?

I don't recall him mind****ing anyone before a battle starts ever.

When Revan and Malak first went to confront Vitiate it wasn't to talk. The second time Revan when to face Vitiate, he had to prepare himself and comrades. The first thing Vitiate did in each encounter was try to control their minds.

Emperordmb
When Revan and Malak first went to confront Vitiate it wasn't to talk. The second time Revan when to face Vitiate, he had to prepare himself and comrades. The first thing Vitiate did in each encounter was try the control their minds.
No it states that Malak and Revan were lying at Vitiate's feet in after a short time. I take that to mean he defeated/knocked out Malak and Revan before mindraping them, similar to what he did to the strike team on his space station. The second time Revan clashed with Vitiate, Revan and Vitiate did a bunch of other shit before Vitiate even attempted to mindrape him.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
no, that isn't what happened. vitiate dominated their minds easily and instantly. That said, vitiate was prepped plus Revan and malak at that time are no where near as strong as bane and zannah.

And in revan's second confrontation, vitiate force waved him then tried to dominate him, without prep.

The_Tempest
vitiate force waved him then tried to dominate him, without prep.

According to whom?

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
According to the situation:

"he'd feared they'd have to fight through dozens of the guard before reaching the throne room, giving the emperor ample time to prepare a counterattack. Now, however, they had a chance to take their adversary by surprise."

-Revan

Emperordmb
I have my doubts that he could mindrape either of them in combat on their own, but with both of them together that would definitely not happen.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
thumb up

Kotor3
No it states that Malak and Revan were lying at Vitiate's feet in after a short time. I take that to mean he defeated/knocked out Malak and Revan before mindraping them, similar to what he did to the strike team on his space station. The second time Revan clashed with Vitiate, Revan and Vitiate did a bunch of other shit before Vitiate even attempted to mindrape him.

That is not how I remember things occurring.

DarthAnt66
No, Emperor you are wrong.
They didn't fight, it was just a mindrape.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Yeah, that's not how any of it occurred. not that it matters, vitiates mental domination won't be a trump card anyways.

Emperordmb
Yeah sorry my mind was a little hazy on that.

The_Tempest
According to the situation:

"he'd feared they'd have to fight through dozens of the guard before reaching the throne room, giving the emperor ample time to prepare a counterattack. Now, however, they had a chance to take their adversary by surprise."

-Revan

Yeah, I know. You fell for my trap. erm

This was prior to the battle outside Viti's throne room; Revan was banking on easy access to Viti by way of Scourge's station. It backfired and a fight ensued outside.

Viti had ample time to mount some sort of preparation.

DarthAnt66
thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up

Emperordmb

This was prior to the battle outside Viti's throne room; Revan was banking on easy access to Viti by way of Scourge's station. It backfired and a fight ensued outside.

thumb up thumb up thumb up

Nephthys

Swtore says that he's crushed the minds of dozens of Jedi who tried attacking him.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Nephthys
Swtore says that he's crushed the minds of dozens of Jedi who tried attacking him.
In every instance I'm aware of he's either had prep or knocked them out first.

Nephthys
That's not stated to be the case with those examples.

The_Tempest
Is that the exact and complete phrasing of the statement?

Nephthys
"Most Jedi who ventured into Imperial space vanished without a trace, but a few managed to send back disturbing messages to their Masters. These fragmented communiques showed the Emperor's Jedi pursuers descending into fear, madness, and evil when faced with his power. It quickly became clear the Sith Emperor was more then a brilliant military strategist and cunning political leader. He was a living embodiment of the dark side of the Force who delighted in destroying the minds and spirits of those Jedi who came too close to him." - (SWTORE, Page 88)

Another source indicates that they had actually confronted him:

"Jedi Master Tol Braga's strike team was not the first group to succumb to the Sith leader's oppressive influence. Hundreds of years ago, the Jedi Revan and Malak discovered Dromund Kaas and confronted the Emperor. They fell to the dark side and returned to Republic space as Sith Lords. Since then, dozens more Jedi have followed the same path into evil." (SWTOR: Codex Entry)

The_Tempest
Most Jedi who ventured into Imperial space vanished without a trace, but a few managed to send back disturbing messages to their Masters. These fragmented communiques showed the Emperor's Jedi pursuers descending into fear, madness, and evil when faced with his power. It quickly became clear the Sith Emperor was more then a brilliant military strategist and cunning political leader. He was a living embodiment of the dark side of the Force who delighted in destroying the minds and spirits of those Jedi who came too close to him. (SWTORE, Page 88)

Another source indicates that they had actually confronted him:

Jedi Master Tol Braga's strike team was not the first group to succumb to the Sith leader's oppressive influence. Hundreds of years ago, the Jedi Revan and Malak discovered Dromund Kaas and confronted the Emperor. They fell to the dark side and returned to Republic space as Sith Lords. Since then, dozens more Jedi have followed the same path into evil. (SWTOR: Codex Entry)

Anything that indicates an immediacy and lack of preparation?

Nephthys
Other than it being said that he only needed a fraction of his power to dominate Revan and Malak, no specific denial of prep.

DarthAnt66
To dominate a completely unprepared Revan and Malak. erm

Nephthys
So? The point is that he can likely use the technique without the need for prep. Revan and Malak's preparedness has no factor in the speed of Vitiates attack or if he needs to prep for it.

DarthAnt66
It was confirmed he prepared for that.
Logical to assume it happened so quickly due to all the prepared power he harnessed.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ

Elaborate on what you mean by "outside." The trio successfuly got to the entrance of the throne room, then Revan:

-kicked a dude
-jumped over a dude
-killed an imperial guard (this took like 2-3 seconds)
-opened up the durasteel doors that led into the throne room with TK
-threw down a stone archway

Furthermore: "This time, however, events had moved too quickly and too spontaneously for the Emperor's patient hand to be behind them."

Ample time isn't much time at all. I mean, perhaps ten seconds? That said, I still don't think Vitiate's domination would be too relevant at all, whether against Bane/Zannah or Revan/HoT.

The_Tempest
Elaborate on what you mean by "outside." The trio successfuly got to the entrance of the throne room, then Revan:

-kicked a dude
-jumped over a dude
-killed an imperial guard (this took like 2-3 seconds)
-opened up the durasteel doors that led into the throne room with TK
-threw down a stone archway

Ample time isn't much time at all. I mean, perhaps ten seconds?

Who knows? No one's saying he had or needed an hour.

That said, I still don't think Vitiate's domination would be too relevant at all, whether against Bane/Zannah or Revan/HoT.

Agreed.

Furthermore: "This time, however, events had moved too quickly and too spontaneously for the Emperor's patient hand to be behind them."

For Revan's infiltration of the palace to be plotted by Viti, not for Viti to exploit their distraction and prepare for the ensuing confrontation.

Nephthys
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
It was confirmed he prepared for that.
Logical to assume it happened so quickly due to all the prepared power he harnessed.

It's stated it was a trap and he was ready for them, not that he'd prepped his mind-control abilities. Logically if it only required a fraction of his power there'd be no need for him to prep. And if he had prepped it would indicate him using much more than a mere fraction of his power. That he'd prepped his telepathy is only a logical possibility some have suggested, not a proven fact.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ

Yep, and he probably doesn't, barring dark council one-shot or planet destroying.

For Revan's infiltration of the palace to be plotted by Viti, not for Viti to exploit their distraction and prepare for the ensuing confrontation.

Fair enough.

Nephthys

Considering Revan's battle with Vitiate occurred in a matter of seconds, I think 10 seconds was a generous estimation.

DarthAnt66
Logically, if Vitiate was "ready for them", that means he prepared himself.
It only required a "fraction of his power" because his power was being amplified in the preparation. erm
This is not even yet mentioning his powers would be amplified by the Dark Side nexus itself.
A similar example is how a user charges up a telekinetic attack to make it more powerful.

The_Tempest

It only required a "fraction of his power" because his power was being amplified in the preparation. erm
This is not even yet mentioning his powers would be amplified by the Dark Side nexus itself.
A similar example is how a user charges up a telekinetic attack to make it more powerful.

thumb up

S_W_LeGenD
The HoT was under Vitiate's control for a few weeks-months. He only needs to stop them for minutes. erm

Bane struggled with Zannah's illusions during their fight. I don't doubt that they have the power, even Revan broke his mind domination on his own, I doubt that they have the time.
HoT remained under Emperor's influence for years actually.

Revan didn't break free from Emperor's influence, he reduced its impact over him. His break from it was the result of mindwipe performed by the Jedi High Council.

Nephthys
It wasn't years.

Prepared for a confrontation. Being prepared doesn't equate to charging up power.

Prepping doesn't increase your overall power, its just you drawing on more of it than you normally can, like winding up for a big punch as opposed to a quick jab. You don't actually get more powerful, that's retarded.

It only states a fraction of his power, not a tiny bit of that + nexus amp.

Obviously. That's not stated to have occurred though.

S_W_LeGenD

They were close to dark side but they were still strong-willed.

Emperor Vitiate broke both with a fraction of his power though.

FreshestSlice
Okay, how can the HoT be under Vitiate's control for years, when the story itself takes place over only 3 years, Act I being a year or so long, with each successive act being a year long?

And Revan was not under Vitiate's control when he was preping to defend against Vitiate. erm

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Apparently the story starts when the Hero's around 18-20.

So at most he was 23 when he beat the Emperor? Damn.

S_W_LeGenD
It wasn't years.

Prepared for a confrontation. Being prepared doesn't equate to charging up power.

Prepping doesn't increase your overall power, its just you drawing on more of it than you normally can, like winding up for a big punch as opposed to a quick jab. You don't actually get more powerful, that's retarded.

It only states a fraction of his power, not a tiny bit of that + nexus amp.

Obviously. That's not stated to have occurred though.
thumb up

Yes, this whole prep mantra is blown out of proportion.

If this prep mantra is to be considered, then every Force-user prepares himself before battles.

Nephthys
Apparently the story starts when the Hero's around 18-20.

So at most he was 23 when he beat the Emperor? Damn.

I don't believe those figures are stated ever. Age can be freely determined by the player. It is true that almost all the classes are referred to as young though.

S_W_LeGenD
Okay, how can the HoT be under Vitiate's control for years, when the story itself takes place over only 3 years, Act I being a year or so long, with each successive act being a year long?
It is stated that HoT remained under control of Emperor for a long time, eventually Din's ghost assisted him from breaking free from Emperor's influence.

Cold war didn't end in a span of months, it also lasted years.

And Revan was not under Vitiate's control when he was preping to defend against Vitiate. erm
Revan was under Emperor's control during his time as Sith Lord. Emperor's hold over Revan was eliminated at the time of mindwipe performed on Revan by the Jedi High Council. After the mindwipe, Revan was free from Emperor's influence.

FreshestSlice
I don't believe those figures are stated ever. Age can be freely determined by the player. It is true that almost all the classes are referred to as young though.
Writer's words placed them at 18-20 at the start.
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
It is stated that he remained under his control for a long time.

Cold war didn't end in a span of months, it also lasted years.

Except Chapters I and II are two and a half years+ in length, and the Cold War going on decades before that. No point here really.

Revan and Malak broke out on their own soon after they went in search of the Star Forge, from what I've gathered.

S_W_LeGenD
Except Chapters I and II are two and a half years+ in length, and the Cold War going on decades before that. No point here really.
Emperor turned HoT in to a pawn by the end of Chapter II. Chapter III begins after a long time.

You are confusing Great Galactic War with Cold War.

Revan and Malak broke out on their own soon after they went in search of the Star Forge, from what I've gathered.
Revan and Malak managed to reduce Emperor's influence but could not eradicate it fully.

FreshestSlice
Emperor turned HoT in to a pawn by the end of Chapter II. Chapter III begins after a long time.

There is only 3 years of story. Well over a year of that is guaranteed gone. There's just no capacity for the HoT to be under control for years.

No I'm not. All the time between the Great Galactic War and the Second Great Galactic War has all been a period of Cold War. Even then, the story still takes place in only 3 years. That's it. '43-'40 BBY. Nothing more.

Influence =/= control. Vitiate did not control Revan anymore than he controlled Braga.

carthage
Dead at 4.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by carthage
Dead at 4.
How?

S_W_LeGenD
There is only 3 years of story. Well over a year of that is guaranteed gone. There's just no capacity for the HoT to be under control for years.
Well, it is unclear at the moment that for how long HoT remained under control of Emperor but it was long time, not few weeks or months as originally claimed. Maybe not years but an entire year seems probable at minimum.

No I'm not. All the time between the Great Galactic War and the Second Great Galactic War has all been a period of Cold War. Even then, the story still takes place in only 3 years. That's it. '43-'40 BBY. Nothing more.
Ok

Influence =/= control. Vitiate did not control Revan anymore than he controlled Braga.
No, as long as someone is under influence of Emperor Vitiate, Emperor can enforce his will on that someone.

FreshestSlice
Well, it is unclear at the moment that for how long HoT remained under control of Emperor but it was long time, not few weeks or months as originally claimed. Maybe not years but an entire year seems probable at minimum.

If you believe Act II and III leave room for that, sure. Personally I don't, with a half a year max.

Not true. Power alone can be a way to break such entrapments, and Revan and Malak showed no signs of still following Vitiate's orders while reigning as Darths. While Vitiate may have had some way in the way they thought at first, ultimately Revan and Malak struck out on their own, even when only causing destruction, Malak never revealed where the Star Forge was, which was their MO.

S_W_LeGenD
If you believe Act II and III leave room for that, sure. Personally I don't, with a half a year max.
I am not sure if half a year qualifies as a long time.

Not true. Power alone can be a way to break such entrapments, and Revan and Malak showed no signs of still following Vitiate's orders while reigning as Darths. While Vitiate may have had some way in the way they thought at first, ultimately Revan and Malak struck out on their own, even when only causing destruction, Malak never revealed where the Star Forge was, which was their MO.
This is PIS. Story of KoTOR had been linked with SWTOR so PIS was expected in certain regards.

Emperor Vitiate can enforce his will on any individual whom he have broken and established telepathic bond with. These individuals remain his unwitting pawns throughout unless they managed to break free.

Malak and Revan thought they were acting on their own accord, this doesn't implies that they were free from Emperor's influence. Revan's freedom was a product of circumstances but Malak remained under Emperor's influence.

Nephthys
Legend is right about Revan and Malak still being under his control, but wrong about the time of the HoT's enslavement.

FreshestSlice
Half a year isn't a long time? erm

And if Revan and Malak were still under Vitiate's control:

1. Why didn't Vitiate know where the Star Forge was?(the reason he sent them in the first place)
2. Why didn't Vitiate know where the Foundry was?(another reason)
3. Why did Revan knowingly avoid any type of lasting damage to the Republic?
4. Warn Kreia about the true threat even while Darth Revan, he returned to Kreia soon after reentering Republic space?

I'm sure there's more. While Vitiate had a certain level of influence before, he no longer had control over Revan or Malak, nor their actions. They began to act independently in opposition to him. Considering these things are either supported in TOR or not overwritten, it's hardly PIS. It's just the fact that Vitiate couldn't handle controlling either of them so far away from where they were and with their level of willpower. Of course, you put Vitiate so well above just about anyone, you probably doubt anyone with a fixed midichlorian count could somehow escape his will without the help of an immortal.

Kotor3
HoT remained under Emperor's influence for years actually.

Revan didn't break free from Emperor's influence, he reduced its impact over him. His break from it was the result of mindwipe performed by the Jedi High Council.

Revan's and Malak actions contradict that statement.

NewGuy01
They probably clear. The first fight and the last fight appear to be the hardest.

Board Walker
I honestly feel the order of the gauntlet is not entirely balanced, but overall Revan would clear the gauntlet due to getting rest between each fight.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.