What video games would make for great movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
I was playing the Elder Scrolls Skyrim, and was thinking that this game, or actually that any, and all of the Elder Scroll games would make for great movies. For one, they don't have a main character because you begin off making your own character. This would make it easy to transition into a tale without having to consider the canon of an actual main character. I have found that many movies that are based on comic book characters, or games are often let downs, because they often never get the characters right. Most of the Street Fighter movies are an example, with the exception of Assassins Fist which recently came out.

So even if there was a main character like in God of War, what video game franchise do you think would make for a great movie, or series of movies? And, who would you cast to play the main character, or characters?

Firefly218
Gears of War - Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson

Uncharted - Zachary Levi or maybe Joe Flanagan/Bradley Cooper

Metal Gear Solid - Liam Neeson or Sean Bean/Christian Bale

Mass Effect - Christian Bale

God of War - Jason Momoa

Halo - ?

Half-Life - Johnny Depp or Edward Norton

BruceSkywalker
it truly depends on who the writer is as well as the director and the actors/actresses..

Mindset
Originally posted by Firefly218
Gears of War - Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson

Uncharted - Zachary Levi or maybe Joe Flanagan/Bradley Cooper

Metal Gear Solid - Liam Neeson or Sean Bean/Christian Bale

Mass Effect - Christian Bale

God of War - Jason Momoa

Halo - ?

Half-Life - Johnny Depp or Edward Norton I agree with this list of vgs.

Impediment
The Last of Us
Heavy Rain
Darksiders
Mass Effect

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Stoic
I was playing the Elder Scrolls Skyrim, and was thinking that this game, or actually that any, and all of the Elder Scroll games would make for great movies. For one, they don't have a main character because you begin off making your own character. This would make it easy to transition into a tale without having to consider the canon of an actual main character. I have found that many movies that are based on comic book characters, or games are often let downs, because they often never get the characters right. Most of the Street Fighter movies are an example, with the exception of Assassins Fist which recently came out. And because Skyrim would be an action movie that must follow a protagonist, not having a character for that role would be pretty goddamn awful. And if they made one up for the movie, they'll probably copy the blank slate, Keanu-esque type of hero. Just like the game. Which raises the question of "why bother making the movie at all?"

Stoic
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
And because Skyrim would be an action movie that must follow a protagonist, not having a character for that role would be pretty goddamn awful. And if they made one up for the movie, they'll probably copy the blank slate, Keanu-esque type of hero. Just like the game. Which raises the question of "why bother making the movie at all?"

The Dragon would be the protagonist, which is what the game is about right (Dragon Born)? The hero could be anyone, which could either be male or female. A movie like Skyrim could actually be a multi part hit like Lord of the Rings, only better because the Elder Scrolls has a far larger bestiary than LOTR. If handled with the same amount of care as LOTR, I think that it would be great.

Firefly218
Originally posted by Impediment
The Last of Us

Josh Brolin and Ellen Page for the main roles

marwash22
Dead Space

Firefly218
Originally posted by marwash22
Dead Space I would say Karl Urban, or maybe even Ryan Gosling could play Isaac Clarke

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Stoic
The Dragon would be the protagonist, which is what the game is about right (Dragon Born)? The hero could be anyone, which could either be male or female. A movie like Skyrim could actually be a multi part hit like Lord of the Rings, only better because the Elder Scrolls has a far larger bestiary than LOTR. If handled with the same amount of care as LOTR, I think that it would be great. The Dragon...? You mean the bipedal, English-speaking, humanoid main character? I think you missed the part about the "blank-slate" character from the game being a bad idea for a film character. Especially if you're trying to make an epic, LotR-style.

Skyrim is too big for a movie series. 2.5 hour long films would capture next to none of the scope or atmosphere of the game. Everything that makes the game awesome would be sacrificed to meet Hollywood producers' strict and terrified standards for big-budget films. The movie would be an unmitigated disaster.

An HBO-style TV series might get it to work. But probably not. I'd put good money down that whoever tried to make it would completely f*ck up the tone.

Impediment
Definitely Dead Space.

ares834
If they made an Elder Scrolls movie they would be better off focusing on something other than the games storylines. Perhaps a move about the origins of Tiber Septim? Although, I think Morrowind could work as a movie.

Robtard
Joust in 3D

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by ares834
If they made an Elder Scrolls movie they would be better off focusing on something other than the games storylines. Perhaps a move about the origins of Tiber Septim? thumb up

Flesh out something that game players haven't personally experienced and become attached to.

NemeBro
Originally posted by ares834
If they made an Elder Scrolls movie they would be better off focusing on something other than the games storylines. Perhaps a move about the origins of Tiber Septim? Although, I think Morrowind could work as a movie. thumb up

A movie set in Nirn would be fine, but an outright adaptation of a specific game's story? Nah.

I Hate Bane
Far Cry 3 and The Getaway.

0mega Spawn
Red dead redemption - carl urban

Stoic
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
The Dragon...? You mean the bipedal, English-speaking, humanoid main character? I think you missed the part about the "blank-slate" character from the game being a bad idea for a film character. Especially if you're trying to make an epic, LotR-style.

Skyrim is too big for a movie series. 2.5 hour long films would capture next to none of the scope or atmosphere of the game. Everything that makes the game awesome would be sacrificed to meet Hollywood producers' strict and terrified standards for big-budget films. The movie would be an unmitigated disaster.

An HBO-style TV series might get it to work. But probably not. I'd put good money down that whoever tried to make it would completely f*ck up the tone.

Actually I see your point, the Elder Scrolls would make for a great HBO series. You're right, I was just thinking of so many scenarios while playing the game, that I was thinking that it would be a great movie concept, but now that you mention series, it makes much more sense.

Arachnid1
Silent Hill 2, done right, and by someone else other than who's been making them.

As someone else said, Dead Space. My god, that would be great.

Outlast would do well too I think, though it might be too cliche for a horror movie.

I would like MGS, but I cant see that coming out right.

Uncharted would be f*cking awesome, and easy to pull off.

Deus Ex: Human revolution, because I f*cking love the style.

Resident Evil, redone. Do it right, for the love of god.

BruceSkywalker
when Affleck does the Batman solo film I would love for him adapt the Batman Arkham series video games into films

KingAdRock
I think Christian Bale would make a good Solid Snake. He had that raspy voice in the Dark Knight trilogy.

Star428
I think XCOM: Enemy Unknown and/or XCOM: Enemy Within would make a great movie. I really enjoy playing it on PS3. Highly addictive.

marwash22
Pokemon

Kazenji
Almost any game would, Except that some fool during the script writing process decides to try and improve or change the story.

marwash22
True.

Same thing happens with comic book adaptations. Sometimes writers need to keep their "own spin on things" to themselves and just adhere to the source material.

Impediment
A GTA V spin off movie starring Steven Ogg (the actual actor from the game) as Trevor being the central character.

Firefly218
Originally posted by Kazenji
Almost any game would, Except that some fool during the script writing process decides to try and improve or change the story.
thumb up

WildBantha88
Destiny..... not even released and I ****ing love that game

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by marwash22
True.

Same thing happens with comic book adaptations. Sometimes writers need to keep their "own spin on things" to themselves and just adhere to the source material.
Yeah, though creative liberty can be good sometimes in helping with the flow of the movie.

LOL No
If they had a good enough budget God of War would be awesome.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Star428
I think XCOM: Enemy Unknown and/or XCOM: Enemy Within would make a great movie. I really enjoy playing it on PS3. Highly addictive. Not bad actually. XCOM is just a cool enough setting that some real substance could make it into the movie but with just enough lack of focus on narrative that it wouldn't feel like watching a two hour long splice of the game's cutscenes, but in live action.

fostersAccount
Zelda

jinXed by JaNx
Left 4 dead
bioshock
Half-life
Enslaved
The Darkness
Shadow of the colossus
Mirrors Edge
Pac-Man

Squirtle
Castlevania

Impediment
Oh, god. I forgot about the Darkness. Such underrated games.

Kazenji
^ Wouldn't that come under comic books....but yeah i'd be up for a movie of it.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Kazenji
Almost any game would, Except that some fool during the script writing process decides to try and improve or change the story. thumb up

BruceSkywalker
Call of Duty might become a film...

http://www.vg247.com/2014/08/19/call-of-duty-movie-activision-studio/

Kazenji
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Call of Duty might become a film...

http://www.vg247.com/2014/08/19/call-of-duty-movie-activision-studio/

Should have it based on the Modern Warfare games.

Inhuman
Leisure suit larry

draxx_tOfU
Crisis Core

Good night sweet prince.cry

Kazenji
The director of the Leprechaun: Origins movie will be doing Dead Rising.

Zack Fair
I don't see the point behind a Call of Duty movie.

Well besides doing a lazy cash-in.

Firefly218
Dragon Age movie. Could become the next Lord of the Rings

Kazenji
Originally posted by Firefly218
Dragon Age movie. Could become the next Lord of the Rings

We have Warcraft for that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.