Where to start watching Doctor Who?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

VG_Addict
I want to start watching Doctor Who. What would be a good series to watch for someone new to the series?

siriuswriter
I think you should start where "New Who" started. It's series 1, or series 34, depending on how you look at it. I started with New Who and then once I understood the premise I went back to the very first series from 1963, and was able to understand a lot more of the references and nuances.

If you start with New Who, you want Christopher Eccleston as Doctor #9 and Billie Piper as Rose, the companion. The first episode is called "Rose."

trexalfa
Originally posted by siriuswriter
I think you should start where "New Who" started. It's series 1, or series 34, depending on how you look at it. I started with New Who and then once I understood the premise I went back to the very first series from 1963, and was able to understand a lot more of the references and nuances.

If you start with New Who, you want Christopher Eccleston as Doctor #9 and Billie Piper as Rose, the companion. The first episode is called "Rose."
Seconded.

Dreampanther
I would start with David Tennant. Personal opinion, of course, but he is the one I started with and he is still my favourite.

Aquitaine
Maybe it is best to start with the first revived series and watch that up to current before backtracking for newbies.
I always say - at the beginning. Unearthly Child, Daleks, Edge of Destruction, etc through to the movie.
But thats because I watched all those prior to the revival, being a fan all those years, and its served me well to have that back story knowledge.
I watched Tennant's run with a bunch of WHO fans together at a University screening and I was the ONLY ONE to yell out during 'Gridlock' "hey, the Macra, brilliant". I had a few dozen sets of eyes look and shoulders shrug.

MVC-Solos
Why would you watch Doctor Who?
It's such a shitty show.

theronmad
It's a pity that the thread about my favorite TV series and the universe is so old. Are there still doctor fans here?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.