Gender qualifiers on job descriptions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
What's this say about how we view the equality thing?

When gender neutral terms like flight attendant and fire fighter are STILL prefixed with male and female respectively, are some jobs just expected to be done by only one gender, and those that cross over considered, maybe unconsciously, as aberrations?

Dont even get me started on what the terms "male stripper" and "male nurse" say about gender specific jobs...

Lord Lucien
I won't get you started. So don't start.

riv6672
Thanks for the feedback. wink

fostersAccount
"are some jobs just expected to be done by only one gender, and those that cross over considered"

is this really a question. yes.
of course society has that expectation.

seems like you answered your own question with the male nurse thing, so I don't know what you're asking or if this is just an excuse to vent

riv6672
It was an excuse to start a conversation, Jerry.

You may not find the fact that society expects women to be strippers, nurses, or, in certain clubs i visited in my youth, a combination of both, a topic of conversation, but why is that, Jerry? Why indeed....http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w344/riv6672/smilies/thinking-idea-animated-animation-sm.gif

Mindship
Originally posted by riv6672
When gender neutral terms like flight attendant and fire fighter are STILL prefixed with male and female respectively, are some jobs just expected to be done by only one gender, and those that cross over considered, maybe unconsciously, as aberrations?To ignore biology completely is just as extreme and wrong, imo, as "biology is destiny." Like it or not men and women are different -- but not sooo different.

If a women wants to be, eg, a firefighter, let her meet the job requirements, which, as one might expect, would be easier for the naturally bigger, stronger male (though if a man can't meet the job requirements, neither does he get to be a firefighter).

Women, as a rule, are better at nurturing, at putting others' needs before their own (and this is a good, honorable thing, goddammit). But if a man can do it too, then hell yes, he can be a nurse.

Biology is not destiny, no, but it sometimes makes good suggestions.

riv6672
Appreciate the post!

Wont even joke about how you referenced fire fighters, nurses but not strippers!

Mindship
Wont even joke about how you referenced fire fighters, nurses but not strippers! I'll 'mount' the soapbox for that one another time. wink

riv6672
I look forward to you 'taking the stage'. smile

Stoic
What's this say about how we view the equality thing?

When gender neutral terms like flight attendant and fire fighter are STILL prefixed with male and female respectively, are some jobs just expected to be done by only one gender, and those that cross over considered, maybe unconsciously, as aberrations?

Dont even get me started on what the terms "male stripper" and "male nurse" say about gender specific jobs...

Well I think that some jobs were really meant for specific genders, because I certainly wouldn't work at a Victoria Secret boutique. Although I have seen men (gay men) working there. Aside from that, there really isn't anything that a woman can not do that a man can't. I've seen women roofers, women that work in rock quarries, and mines. Some do better jobs than the best men on those jobs. Men on the other hand may have a tough time mentally doing jobs that may be considered dainty. I happen to be one of those guys.

fostersAccount
That's not true, at the end of the day there ARE jobs that women cannot do. Become a navy seal, for example

Lestov16
Tell that to GI Jane. In all seriousness, SEALS are probably male-based because, naturally, men are a safer bet to complete the often critical mission, although I am not at all doubtful . Although IIRC Israeli special ops allow women to participate. And, as stated above, it matters in retail because of the targeted customers.

That being stated, I have no doubts a women can perform just as much manual labor as a man. I have an aunt (who really inspires me) who is suffering perpetual pain in her back because she spent her entire life since she was 14 (proudly) doing manual labor. Make of that what you will.

riv6672
Kudos to your aunt!

Old saying: "Man may work from sun to sun but women's work is never done."

atv2
All I'll say is that it's been insane!

Tzeentch
There are no female navy SEALS because women weren't allowed to even try out for the SEAL's until very recently.

None have passed the performance tests so far, but it's only a matter of time. Men are naturally bigger, faster, tougher and stronger than women on average, but even the super-majority of men who try out for the SEAL's wash out. So, if only 1/10 men make it to being a SEAL, then like 1/100 women would make it (both figures are just examples, not based on actual statistics).

But it doesn't really matter how many Women are able to become SEAL's, it doesn't even matter if none of them ever become SEAL's.

What matters is that they're given the equal opportunity to try.

BIGWHITESEXY
WOMEN BELONG IN THE KITCHEN.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.