The Strain

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlackZero30x
First episode was kinda lengthy but it was good! I didn't feel board nor did I ever feel like it was dragging on. This could turn out to be a pretty good show! I'm certainly looking forward to the next episode.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/thestrain

Firefly218
Great pilot

BruceSkywalker
i will watch tomorrow

jinXed by JaNx
One of the best pilots I've seen. In fact, it may have been too good. If the next few following episodes don't keep the same pace then i will definitely jump ship but i'm excited to see what comes next. Is it just me or was anyone else reminded of Aliens through out the first half of the show? lmao

Arachnid1
I watched it, and I loved it.

That thing from the coffin is pretty terrifying. I shat a brick when he killed that dude, crushed his head, and spazzed away down the hall while the dudes headless body twitched. ****ing brutal.

Congressman Russo and Walder Frey are also enjoyable, if not cliche, characters.

I'll keep up with this show.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I watched it, and I loved it.

That thing from the coffin is pretty terrifying. I shat a brick when he killed that dude, crushed his head, and spazzed away down the hall while the dudes headless body twitched. ****ing brutal.

Reminded me of innocent blood...,the vampire covering/cleaning up her evidence

ares834
Decent pilot. Liked how the plane plot line was straight up ripped from Dracula (the boat Demeter).

Of course, as is typical of Del Toro the characters are rather one dimensional and cliche.

Robtard
Liked it at first since it seemed more suspense driven, but started to get somewhat generic horror towards the end. The vampire/vampirism being like a parasite is somewhat neat, but I got a 'Blade 2 / Reapers' vibe.

I'll keep watching, but I can see this getting lame very soon.

Galan007
it was a good pilot. if it continues to follow the novel/comic series, it will likely stay good.

BruceSkywalker
was the pilot ep violent?

Galan007
only one scene was violent.

KingD19
2 scenes.

Don't forget when the coroner's "patients" all got back up and mauled him.

Galan007
^ we didn't really *see* them do anything, aside from pull him to the ground. the same certainly cannot be said about the other scene.

BruceSkywalker
watched the pilot..

corey stoll's "hair" has to go...

felt the pilot ep was about 10-15 minutes to long..

the idea of vampirism being some sort of parasite is intriguing so will keep watching

Epicurus
Originally posted by Robtard
Liked it at first since it seemed more suspense driven, but started to get somewhat generic horror towards the end. The vampire/vampirism being like a parasite is somewhat neat, but I got a 'Blade 2 / Reapers' vibe.

I'll keep watching, but I can see this getting lame very soon.
thumb up

The pilot was good, but I doubt they'll be able to maintain the quality level with the coming episodes.

Galan007
glad we got to hear sardu's voice. i'm really hoping they depict his story, along with setrakian's and eichhorst's, soon. they're very interesting.

BruceSkywalker
this show needs more violence..

2nd ep was okay..

anyone know when corey stoll will take off that silly hairpiece???

Robtard
What's your beef with his doll-hair-like hairpiece, brah!?

BruceSkywalker
What's your beef with his doll-hair-like hairpiece, brah!?

it needs to go or the very least fixed better on his head laughing out loud big grin

jinXed by JaNx
Was not expecting this show to be so good. The story is really coming together. Early on i was skeptical as to how relevant some of the characters were going to be to the story but it's all being laced together quite well.

BlackZero30x
Yeah, this is becoming one of my must watch shows. When I think Sunday I think The Strain.

KingD19
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Was not expecting this show to be so good. The story is really coming together. Early on i was skeptical as to how relevant some of the characters were going to be to the story but it's all being laced together quite well.

You sound like ze Jew.

Mindset
I really like this show.

I wish you were all vampires that I could kill. smile

Arachnid1
Setrakian is a badass. He's like this shows version of Van Helsing. He's exactly what I envision Van Helsing to be like in Penny Dreadful. Ephriam is a ****ing awesome Nazi vampire villain too. Those two carry this show.

Can stand anyone else. Especially Eph sometimes. I liked him when I started the show too. He's too full of himself now. The dude seriously needs to stop questioning Setrakian.

Good show.

KingD19
You mean Eichhorst.

And Eph is a bit of a dick, but I can understand why. And he's not so much questioning Setrakian as he is questioning things that don't make sense. He's studied for years on how viruses work.

And this one is unlike anything he's ever seen. It's almost magical. Imagine if you were blind your whole life, and you could suddenly see. You know blindness; sight is out of your element.

He's basically trying to make sense in the only way he knows how; but lately he's much more receptive. But the good thing is he's a flawed character and not perfect, which is what a show like this needs.

Mindset
Setrakian is a badass. He's like this shows version of Van Helsing. He's exactly what I envision Van Helsing to be like in Penny Dreadful. Ephriam is a ****ing awesome Nazi vampire villain too. Those two carry this show.

Can stand anyone else. Especially Eph sometimes. I liked him when I started the show too. He's too full of himself now. The dude seriously needs to stop questioning Setrakian.

Good show. That Russian guy is badass.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Mindset
That Russian guy is badass.

you mean The Blob?! lol yeah I like his character also.

KingD19
I felt bad for Vasiliy. He had to kill his boss and his love interest within seconds of each other...right after he found out the girl had a daughter. And his dad is an *******.

Robtard
Russians are used to hardships and disappointment, so don't feel bad for him.

Mindset
Russians are used to hardships and disappointment, so don't feel bad for him. thumb up

Galan007
christ almighty. goodweather is swiftly becoming the strain's lori. annoying as f*ck... almost unwatchable. thumb down

the russian is evolving into a daryl-lite, though, so it almost balances out. badassery at its finest. thumb up

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Galan007
christ almighty. goodweather is swiftly becoming the strain's lori. annoying as f*ck... almost unwatchable. thumb down

the russian is evolving into a daryl-lite, though, so it almost balances out. badassery at its finest. thumb up This. Eph, with more of his bullshit.

My god dude. Stop questioning Van Helsing and learn from him. The first thing the Russian did when he became aware of Setrakians decades of experience was ask questions and learn the best ways to fight them. He also killed Ephs infected friend quick enough like Setrakian wanted, as opposed to joining in on the debate. Massive amount of points to him for being a quick and adaptive learner.

Setrakian being the greatest as usual! Loled at the Russian being the son he deserves. You guys are right. The dudes a badass. He's no Setrakian, but he's a good protege. Those two are the dream team so far.

The episode was cool. It reminded me of that level in RE4 were Leon and Luis are trapped in the building getting overran by a ton of Ganado. It may have been packed to shit with horror/zombie movie cliches, but it was a fun hour. Thank god the dude with glasses died. Hands down my least favorite character.

I was hoping that vampire SWAT team would show up to save the day, but still a cool episode. I wonder if the SWAT team is part of the vampire hive mind.

Epicurus
What's the probability that one might get to see a lesbian scene between that female CDC official and the british hacker chick?

Epicurus
I wish you were all vampires that I could kill. smile
Me too.

Epicurus
I was hoping that vampire SWAT team would show up to save the day, but still a cool episode. I wonder if the SWAT team is part of the vampire hive mind.
Quick wiki search showed that they oppose "the Master's" plan. Apparently the Master was once an archangel or some sh1t. Plus apparently they recruit that Mexican thug-dude into their cause.

Don't know if this was based on the comic books, or is a genuine spoiler for the show.

Robtard
I liked this ep, one of two annoying characters died and they picked up a hot chic.

Now Eph either needs to stop questioning the impossible (after all he's already seen) like a complete moron, or he needs to take a worm to the anus so the Cossak can and/or the old Jew can decapitate his ass with extreme prejudice.

edit: Anyone else find it hysterical how the cliché Indian/Pakistani minimart worker was written? There's a vampire invasion happening right outside the shop; he's just worried about the hydrogen peroxide and Q-Tips they didn't pay for.

KingD19
Yeah. Apu...I mean Hassan was hilariously dumb. f*ck that job. F*ck the inventory. You saw the shit going on outside, and that box isn't as protective as you want it to be. He did get a nice win big lotto ticket though.

I found it funny how the hacker chick was like, "Don't you tell anybody this is partially my fault, or I'll punch you in the nose!" Then when she runs off, she's a b*tch for ditching her.

Eminence
(imo) This show is entertaining, but quite bad, more or less like Falling Skies. If every plebe gets written out (by new writers) and we hold onto the Russian and the Jew and the monster squad, it has the potential to be a good show. So it's probably always going to be pretty bad, but I hope it stays fun. The horror elements started off quite strong and, when the main good guys aren't involved, remain the most compelling aspect of the whole deal by a wide margin. I just can't fathom how (if?) the folks behind the scenes think they have a remotely interesting cast of characters. Setrakian and Fet are pretty much the only humans I can stand to have on-screen; the caliber of decision-making on display by everyone else makes me hurt inside.

Epicurus
I liked this ep, one of two annoying characters died and they picked up a hot chic.

Now Eph either needs to stop questioning the impossible (after all he's already seen) like a complete moron, or he needs to take a worm to the anus so the Cossak can and/or the old Jew can decapitate his ass with extreme prejudice.

edit: Anyone else find it hysterical how the cliché Indian/Pakistani minimart worker was written? There's a vampire invasion happening right outside the shop; he's just worried about the hydrogen peroxide and Q-Tips they didn't pay for.
I think this episode was the director's way of highlighting that people act stupidly in this universe. The truck driver, the hacker chick's girlfriend and the Hassan dude were all grade-A levels of stupid.

Not to mention that the actor of Hassan was trying way too hard to speak broken English with a stereotypical accent, when anyone could tell that he was quite fluent in it.

Edit: Ruta Gedmintas(hot hacker chick's actress) has apparently appeared in a lesbian tv show before. +1 for that.

KingD19
Well to be fair. Lots of people would act stupid in the same situation especially if they were unaware just how bad things were.

Epicurus
Really? You witness first hand a bunch of zombie vamp monsters outside your door, and then you see a group of people who seem to know what they are dealing with. I don't think the next logical step would be to just barge out among those zombie vamp monsters and become easy lunch as the hacker chick's gf did. Or purposefully act like a moron like the Hassan dude.

KingD19
Not me personally as I have common sense. But there are legitmately people out there who'd react just the same if not worse than the Bread man, Hacker girls friend and Hassan.

And her friend got away. Bread Guy got eaten.

Mindset
Originally posted by Epicurus
Really? You witness first hand a bunch of zombie vamp monsters outside your door, and then you see a group of people who seem to know what they are dealing with. I don't think the next logical step would be to just barge out among those zombie vamp monsters and become easy lunch as the hacker chick's gf did. Or purposefully act like a moron like the Hassan dude. I would barge at the door and slaughter ever last one of them.

I would do the Lord's work.

Epicurus
Originally posted by KingD19
And her friend got away.
I am talking from a hypothetical viewpoint. She only got away because those zombie-vamps were focused on Setrakian's group along with shitty plot.

Robtard
I would barge at the door and slaughter ever last one of them.

I would do the Lord's work.

As would I with my granite-busting fist and world-cracking roundhouses, but we're living weapons trained by the CIA. Try to see this through the eyes of the normal rabble.

Epicurus
This felt like a filler episode.

What's up with changing the Master's voice like that?

And that Italian b1tch is super-annoying. Couldn't they have killed her off in this episode?

Galan007
lol @ goodweather's ridiculous hairpiece:
http://i.imgur.com/HIDkbQF.jpg

an equal lol @ the reveal of sardu's face. the prosthetics and whatnot were cheesy as hell.

the best part of this episode was watching nora's ass giggle when they were getting their f*ck on. thumb up

janus77
Two observations on this show:
1) Jewish protagonists & WWII yawn.

2) WTF is with the stupid pseudo viral/Alien "Vampire"?

First episode looked promising, well produced, nicely paced and acted. The second episode started to smell, with the cliche alcoholism, workaholic dad shit ...

Anyway, this has gotten worse, but not much worse thanks to the tall rat catcheer.

This and Leftover ... neither are worth the effort or time but both had great promise.

wakkawakkawakka
Originally posted by janus77

2) WTF is with the stupid pseudo viral/Alien "Vampire"?
You are aware this series is called "The Strain" right?

Wei Phoenix
I thought that "The Master" looked comically silly and out of place for this show. Like he would be a fit villain for the old Buffy The Vampire Slayer show. I think they would've been better off just keeping him cloaked and hidden.

janus77
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
You are aware this series is called "The Strain" right?
pseudo viral/Alien "Vampire"...
If you like this idiot mumbo-jumbo "science" stuff in fiction, fair enough but atleast try and tone it down and make it seem an extension of reality/nature.

Why are these "vampires" mind-controlled (to whatever extent the "master" wants) and, where does that come from? What Viral worms with WiFi??

It's just asinine, idiotic, stupid shit and it annoys me. Greatly.

Worse still the Aliens thing of a big ****ing tongue-monster shooting out ... why??

Anyway, it's idiotic and spoiled a seemingly promising premise.

janus77
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
I thought that "The Master" looked comically silly and out of place for this show. Like he would be a fit villain for the old Buffy The Vampire Slayer show. I think they would've been better off just keeping him cloaked and hidden.
lol,

true. worse still, he looks like he's permanently giving the finger.

seriously, this is idiotic shit.

wakkawakkawakka
pseudo viral/Alien "Vampire"...
If you like this idiot mumbo-jumbo "science" stuff in fiction, fair enough but atleast try and tone it down and make it seem an extension of reality/nature.

Why are these "vampires" mind-controlled (to whatever extent the "master" wants) and, where does that come from? What Viral worms with WiFi??

It's just asinine, idiotic, stupid shit and it annoys me. Greatly.

Worse still the Aliens thing of a big ****ing tongue-monster shooting out ... why??

Anyway, it's idiotic and spoiled a seemingly promising premise.
Like I said, this show is called "The Strain" you had to have so idea where this show was going especially since the worms were introduced in the pilot episode.

With that said the master vampire was inexcusable in its cheesiness.

janus77
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Like I said, this show is called "The Strain" you had to have so idea where this show was going especially since the worms were introduced in the pilot episode.

With that said the master vampire was inexcusable in its cheesiness.
I didn't know it was about vampires until I watched the pilot, figured it was sci-fi until then.

The point is that the silly worms are a stupid way to do it, that the associated powers are idiotic and break the "scientific" conceit of the show and, the last episode I watched ... vampire vigilante ninja force!!

Helix is also sci-fi, with immortals and all sorts of zombie like creatures, but done well, in an intelligent and interesting fashion.

This show just lacks for intelligence, it's abysmally stupid in fact.

BlackZero30x
I didn't know it was about vampires until I watched the pilot, figured it was sci-fi until then.

The point is that the silly worms are a stupid way to do it, that the associated powers are idiotic and break the "scientific" conceit of the show and, the last episode I watched ... vampire vigilante ninja force!!

Helix is also sci-fi, with immortals and all sorts of zombie like creatures, but done well, in an intelligent and interesting fashion.

This show just lacks for intelligence, it's abysmally stupid in fact.

thats kinda the point though. They have a scientific side to the show and it works to a point but its not all completely scientific nor is it supposed to be. As for Mr. Q...there is a reason he kills vampires.

Galan007
I feel like this series is circling the drain. It started very strong, but is rapidly becoming complete shit.

Mindset
I feel like this series is circling the drain. It started very strong, but is rapidly becoming complete shit. http://images.killermovies.com/forums/custom_avatars/avatar98733_111.gif

riv6672
No way i'm arguing with anyone here as to the quality of the show. Thats just wasted time.
I like it so far.
Surprised at the speed of the infection spread. The general population cant remain ignorant for long.
I wonder if the Master has tried anything on this scale before in history.
I also wonder why, to be honest. Why try and convert your entire food source?
Unless the Nazi connection goes deeper, with camps eventually set up to "grow" humans?
I like it when science is applied to legend. Obviously not everything can be explained, which is as it should be.
The vampire strike team brings up some questions for me. Are some people immune to some degree? Is there another group opposing the Master that Setrakian never ran across?

Galan007
http://images.killermovies.com/forums/custom_avatars/avatar98733_111.gif thumb up

Originally posted by riv6672
No way i'm arguing with anyone here as to the quality of the show. Thats just wasted time.
I like it so far.
Surprised at the speed of the infection spread. The general population cant remain ignorant for long.
I wonder if the Master has tried anything on this scale before in history.
I also wonder why, to be honest. Why try and convert your entire food source?
Unless the Nazi connection goes deeper, with camps eventually set up to "grow" humans?
I like it when science is applied to legend. Obviously not everything can be explained, which is as it should be.
The vampire strike team brings up some questions for me. Are some people immune to some degree? Is there another group opposing the Master that Setrakian never ran across? So long as the TV series continues following the novels/comics, most of these questions will eventually be answered.

Lets just say that there is certainly a method behind Sardu's seeming madness. smile

Robtard
From what little I've read on wiki and such:

The Master is one of several vampire lords, except he was shafted when the other lords decided to divide up the planet for wealth and food-source reasons long ago. So he's butthurt and plans on turning the entire planet into vampires (which makes little sense to me).

The vampire strike team is controlled by one or more of the other lords and they're trying to contain The Master's plan and restore the human-vampire balance as it was before.

If someone read the book and there's something wrong with what I posted, please let me know.

Galan007
Originally posted by Robert Tardarian

The Master is one of several vampire lords, except he was shafted when the other lords decided to divide up the planet for wealth and food-source reasons long ago. So he's butthurt and plans on turning the entire planet into vampires (which makes little sense to me).

The vampire strike team is controlled by one or more of the other lords and they're trying to contain The Master's plan and restore the human-vampire balance as it was before.

If someone read the book and there's something wrong with what I posted, please let me know. That's all accurate.

Mindset

If someone read the book and there's something wrong with what I posted, please let me know. Everything you said is wrong.

thumb up

Robtard
That's all accurate. Originally posted by Mindset
Everything you said is wrong.

thumb up

Conflicting conflict!!!1!!

Galan007
Everything you said is wrong.

thumb up thumb up

riv6672

If someone read the book and there's something wrong with what I posted, please let me know.

Okay, that clarifies some things, thanks.

KingD19
I don't care if it's dementia. Nora's mom is pissing me off to no end.

And I feel sorry for Gus, but he's fast becoming one of the best f*ck shit uppers in the show..

Galan007
I just can't take Sardu seriously. He looks f*cking ridiculous.

Robtard
I just can't take Sardu seriously. He looks f*cking ridiculous.

Spot on. That mask is clownish.

KingD19
Well he possesses the body of that rocker guy At some point so he'll look less goofy as time goes on.

Robtard
I read that in the book series The Master's skin is slick and black like that of a leech and his mouth was leech-like. What a waste to not go with that in the show.

As it stands, they should have kept him hidden behind the hood, was far more imposing than what we have now.

Galan007
Well he possesses the body of that rocker guy At some point so he'll look less goofy as time goes on. Yeah, eventually Gabriel becomes the Master's new host, but that is still a LONG way off.

I read that in the book series The Master's skin is slick and black like that of a leech and his mouth was leech-like. What a waste to not go with that in the show.

As it stands, they should have kept him hidden behind the hood, was far more imposing than what we have now. Even the comic book's depiction of Sardu would have worked much better:
http://i.imgur.com/UBhQ2cf.jpg

...But instead, they inextricably went with this ridiculousness:
http://i.imgur.com/bpttIc4.jpg

With today's technology, I think it would be really hard to make Sardu look shittier. Hopefully next season they actually put some effort into his appearance, even if it means re-hooding him--that would at least be a step in the right direction.

Robtard
So the old man is now written to be a complete fool. Not sure I'll get through season 2 if it continues like it has.

Galan007
THAT was that season finale? What a joke, lol. thumb down

Wei Phoenix
THAT was that season finale? What a joke, lol. thumb down

Gus and Fet are the only things keeping me interested right now. It had such a strong start but the fire slowly died out.

KingD19
I wonder what Fitzwilliam will get into.

Wei Phoenix
I wonder what Fitzwilliam will get into. which one is that?

KingD19
Fitzwilliam is the black guy who was basically Eldritche's butler/caretaker as well as his head of security.

Wei Phoenix
Oh yeah I started liking him ever since he let that hacker chick go. Wasn't he with him since childhood or did I imagine that?

Galan007
Yeah, Fitz has been with Eldritch since birth. His father was Eldritch's servant as well.

KingD19
Mmmhm. His father died when he was young and Eldritch brought him up and groomed him to be his servant.

marwash22
so now that the Master has killed Coco, i'm guessing Palmer will turn his back on The Master and team up with Setrakian... along with Quinlan, Gus and Nacho Libre, basically bringing together everyone to take on The Master, Eichorst and Ep's wife and son.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by marwash22
so now that the Master has killed Coco, i'm guessing Palmer will turn his back on The Master and team up with Setrakian... along with Quinlan, Gus and Nacho Libre, basically bringing together everyone to take on The Master, Eichorst and Ep's wife and son.

Spoilers brophistopheles!

However, I doubt it, he's probably going to get strong armed into helping Sardu completely. I don't know why he thought he had bargaining power anyway. Sardu saved him and his girl, he could easily overpower or take everything back from them. Palmer was way too mouthy for what he was up against. White Privilege won't get you that far with vampires.

On another note, I really enjoyed Eichorst this season, he was good in the first season as well, but he really shined during this one. I'd go as far to say that he was the best supporting character this season.

Patient_Leech
I started watching this show.. been enjoying it so far. Well done and some twisted violence. Favorite part so far is when the woman fed her annoying neighbor to her locked-up vampiric husband.. haha

Patient_Leech
2 more episodes left on Season 2. This is a pretty great show. I'm not watching this until I finish Season 2, but here is the trailer for Season 3, which starts at the end of August...

VWzw-bYa3lw

Darth Thor
End of August? Damn it's taking time.

Patient_Leech
Finished Season 2 and just watched the new trailer. Oh shit, it looks good (and with one of the new Manson songs, hell yeah)...

I wonder if Nora is gonna come back... ... crybaby

carthage
2 Episodes into this and this show is pretty ****ing great, this is everything the Walking dead shouldve been without the repetitive situations. This show looks like its going to be an amazing watch

queeq
Still have to start with Season 2.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I plowed through this show pretty quick. I couldn't put it away...

A big thing that hurt this show, though, was that they apparently changed the kid actor after the first season, and the new kid is awful. I haven't looked up why they changed him, but it sucks, because the chemistry set up from the first season no longer works in the second. But oh well, I just tried to ignore it and I still really enjoyed season 2.

carthage
Anyone keep up on the last episodes? I think the plotting between Goodweather and Quinlan seems a bit rushed, but from the preview it looks like we're getting some major action in tonight's episode

Patient_Leech
^ Waiting for season to end, then will watch.

Like this show a lot.

carthage
No one else been keeping up with this?

Only a few episodes left, it started off really slow but now things are really moving to the final confrontation

Kento
I'm just hoping Gus makes it out of this alive. He's still my favorite part of the show. Him and Fet.

marwash22
Gus, Fet and Quin.

above all else, i need that little b!tch, Zach to die a horrible death.

Todd1700
Originally posted by carthage

Only a few episodes left, it started off really slow but now things are really moving to the final confrontation

I watched it for three seasons because I liked the premise and Guillermo del Toro was involved. It had potential but steadily went to crap. It's without a doubt the dumbest shit I have ever stuck with for that long.

Where is the federal government? Where is the national army? If a small group of humans in New York could fend for themselves as well as they have then the US Military could have cleaned these ****ers out in two weeks. And that kid, sweet Jesus. The most annoying child actor in the history of TV.

I made it one episode into season 4 to see what happened after the nuclear blast and sat there mouth agape at how even "MORE" stupid this show had become and just said screw this noise. Life is too short for crap this stupid.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by carthage

I liked it initially but sort of lost interest. Eh...

I might pick it back up again sometime, but lately time has been limited. I think I tried starting Season 3 and had trouble getting back into it. The actor for the kid being replaced hurt the show a lot for me. The new kid was horrible.

marwash22
they ended up doing exactly what i hoped they wouldn't do... tried to redeem that little b!tch, Zach.

riv6672
Originally posted by marwash22
they ended up doing exactly what i hoped they wouldn't do... tried to redeem that little b!tch, Zach.
Yeah, at least he didnt survive.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.