Sam Wilson the new Captain America

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
As revealed tonight on "The Colbert Report," Sam Wilson, aka The Falcon, will be the all-new comic book Captain America

http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/7/16/22895/its_time_for_an_all-new_captain_america

ares834
http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/characters/images/hidden05/hidden05.jpg

Bentley
/thread

krisblaze
More gimmicks from Marvel, shocker.

I wish they'd just promote Patriot instead or something...

riv6672
Falcon makes sense in continuity....

Stoic
Originally posted by krisblaze
More gimmicks from Marvel, shocker.

I wish they'd just promote Patriot instead or something...

I agree with this statement. Triathlete or whatever his name was would have been good as well.

krisblaze
Originally posted by riv6672

Does it? Patriot just left the young avengers.

JayDaDon
I didn't even know there was something going on with Steve's SS serum.

-K-M-
This is actually reasonable and has history. Not the first time someone else took up the mantle.

The thor change is just silly.

Deadline

Yea it does, but do you think they're doing it because it makes sense or because it's PC?

-K-M-
PC, definetly PC

BruceSkywalker
not really a surprise...

rogers will be back prolly 14-18 months

basilisk
Lame, pointless idea.

riv6672
Originally posted by krisblaze
Does it? Patriot just left the young avengers.
It makes sense to me.
Steve and Sam have been friends and on/off partners for years.

riv6672
Originally posted by Deadline
Yea it does, but do you think they're doing it because it makes sense or because it's PC?
Oddly enough, even though i'm black, i dont think in those terms. I just like entertaining stories. I figure the PC police will cover that particular angle...

JayDaDon
I think it's a two birds with one stone type deal. It makes sense AND it's PC. But I have no real problem with it. Sam Wilson deserves to finally get some shine.

Eternal Idol
Originally posted by JayDaDon
I think it's a two birds with one stone type deal. It makes sense AND it's PC. But I have no real problem with it. Sam Wilson deserves to finally get some shine.

I'm getting pretty ****ing tired of all the identity-swapping going on between characters in the past ten years or so. It comes across as gimmicky and lazy. He looks like lame ass Battlestar.

Why not let Sam Wilson shine under his own identity as the Falcon? Let him prove he's a great leader as well, not just flying cannon fodder. His time as a less-effective Captain America will be swept under the rug and forgotten just as soon as Steve Rogers returns.

Furthermore, why can't the Avengers function without a Captain America on their roster?

riv6672
Originally posted by Eternal Idol
Furthermore, why can't the Avengers function without a Captain America on their roster?
Thats a whole different thing right there.
Me personally, i believe its a combination of in continuity and RL.
In continuity, Cap just makes the team better. He's the all star QB that makes a great team greater.
In RL he's a high profile Marvel character and the creative folks like him on the team to legitimize the line up.

Eternal Idol
Thats a whole different thing right there.
Me personally, i believe its a combination of in continuity and RL.
In continuity, Cap just makes the team better. He's the all star QB that makes a great team greater.
In RL he's a high profile Marvel character and the creative folks like him on the team to legitimize the line up.

I get what you're saying, but in continuity, it's Steve Rogers (as Captain America) who makes the team better, not just the presence of a Captain America. John Walker, Bucky, and the tomato can Captain Americas are proof enough of this.

Sam Wilson is already an Avenger, and now he has an opportunity to lead in Steve's absence... so what sense does it make for him to ditch his own identity and fighting style as the Falcon in favor of a new identity and using a weapon/fighting style combination in which he's not as capable?

Kazenji

Sam Wilson is already an Avenger, and now he has an opportunity to lead in Steve's absence... so what sense does it make for him to ditch his own identity and fighting style as the Falcon in favor of a new identity and using a weapon/fighting style combination in which he's not as capable?

Well Sam Wilson still has his Falcon wings + the Shield

so yeah not really ditching his fighting style more like combo the two

https://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/9/e0/53c6fb59cf454/portrait_uncanny.jpg

riv6672
Exactly. In continuity its an homage thing, in RL its creative basically giving it one more try again, despite the less than successful tenures Eternal Idol pointed out.

pym-ftw
I just dont feel the wings and shield mesh very well visually, i mean maybe they can work but that pic is just dumb.

celeyhyga17
I don't mind it as long as the stories are good. We all know Rogers and Thor will return to status quo within a year or so. I get the pc thing and all, but I wish they would focus on already established characters. I would love to see a more prominent role by characters like Captain Marvel(Danvers) or Blue Marvel within Marvel U.

Kazenji
Originally posted by pym-ftw
I just dont feel the wings and shield mesh very well visually, i mean maybe they can work but that pic is just dumb.

erm

basilisk
Things like this make me wonder just how these decisions get made. On one hand if someone seriously suggested this as an interesting, worthwhile or original idea, and worse, the editorial crew thought so too, then things are seriously wrong at Marvel. On the other hand, if it's all being done as a deliberate PC marketing/relaunch ploy and that's the only angle Marvel care about anymore, then that's pretty sad for Marvel too.

Either way it's a bad idea turning Falcon into a lame second rate Captain America/Battlestar-with-wings mess. If you can't make a character popular on their own then give it up. Don't turn them into a new version of some established character, the end result being both characters are messed up.

If DC can turn Aquaman around and actually get him some level of respect (and without making him the new Superman), Marvel should be able to do the same with some of their C-listers. Same goes for woman-Thor.

Deadline
I'm getting pretty ****ing tired of all the identity-swapping going on between characters in the past ten years or so. It comes across as gimmicky and lazy. He looks like lame ass Battlestar.

Why not let Sam Wilson shine under his own identity as the Falcon? Let him prove he's a great leader as well, not just flying cannon fodder. His time as a less-effective Captain America will be swept under the rug and forgotten just as soon as Steve Rogers returns.

Wow I agree with all of that.

Originally posted by basilisk
Things like this make me wonder just how these decisions get made. On one hand if someone seriously suggested this as an interesting, worthwhile or original idea, and worse, the editorial crew thought so too, then things are seriously wrong at Marvel. On the other hand, if it's all being done as a deliberate PC marketing/relaunch ploy and that's the only angle Marvel care about anymore, then that's pretty sad for Marvel too.

Either way it's a bad idea turning Falcon into a lame second rate Captain America/Battlestar-with-wings mess. If you can't make a character popular on their own then give it up. Don't turn them into a new version of some established character, the end result being both characters are messed up.

If DC can turn Aquaman around and actually get him some level of respect (and without making him the new Superman), Marvel should be able to do the same with some of their C-listers. Same goes for woman-Thor.

*round of applause*

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Deadline
Yea it does, but do you think they're doing it because it makes sense or because it's PC? Neither.

It's banking off of the movies.

pym-ftw
Originally posted by Kazenji
erm I'd like Falcon to have the hard light shield instead, also when did Sam become capable of wielding the shield effectively.

Eternal Idol
More importantly, how will he use the shield while flying? If he tries to block midflight, he might just crash into a wall.

riv6672
Was he one of the guys that once gave throwing the shield a try when Hawkeye managed it once?
If he didnt, then a throw/bounce/fly combo might be kinda cool to see...

As for getting hit while flying, the shield absorbs impacts. Otherwise Cap'd be thrown all over the place, too.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by -K-M-
This is actually reasonable and has history. Not the first time someone else took up the mantle.

The thor change is just silly.

Because no one has ever taken over for Thor before, right?

Eric Masterson never existed, I guess

riv6672
Masterson was manly though. That name, that jacket, that beard, that phallic symbol.
Whats a woman to do with a big ol' phallic symbol like that???

Bentley
Again, both Bucky and Sam are within reason the best possible candidates for the Captain America mantle, arguably Sam is a more interesting take on the succesion thing, but Marvel is physically unable to make such change stick, which kind of ruins the whole concept.

riv6672
Yes and no on ruination.
Its the how that can make or break a story. Watching characters rise to the occasion or fail despite trying can both be pretty fascinating.

krisblaze
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Because no one has ever taken over for Thor before, right?

Eric Masterson never existed, I guess

Masteron was such a stroke of genius too right?

riv6672
Now THAT comes down to a matter of opinion.

Endless Mike
He was at least passable, and had some good moments

krisblaze
The character was a disaster, but he was in a lot of good stories.

Odd.

riv6672
Odd opinions on your part.

Happens at the Oscars. How can the director of the best pucture not win best director?

krisblaze
Odd opinions on your part.

Happens at the Oscars. How can the director of the best pucture not win best director?
How does that work actually?

riv6672
Exactly!

Eternal Idol
Was he one of the guys that once gave throwing the shield a try when Hawkeye managed it once?
If he didnt, then a throw/bounce/fly combo might be kinda cool to see...

As for getting hit while flying, the shield absorbs impacts. Otherwise Cap'd be thrown all over the place, too.

I know the shield absorbs impact. The shield is not the issue. The problem is that Sam cannot effectively use the shield to block incoming attacks and projectiles without putting himself at risk with a sudden change in direction.

Try riding a dirt bike while swinging a sledgehammer, and you'll get the idea.

riv6672
I know the shield absorbs impact.
Well thats good!

Sam cannot
This is comics.
Sam'll be able to do what the writer wants him to.

Not busting your chops; just saying.

Deadline
More importantly, how will he use the shield while flying? If he tries to block midflight, he might just crash into a wall.

He might? I'm pretty sure he could find a way to block without doing that.

riv6672
Thats what i'm saying.

Kazenji
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Ash_ED/Comic%20Scans/Comic%20covers/ancapa2014001-ross-104923_zps142727c4.jpg~original

riv6672
Yeah thats pretty sweet...

SamZED
Cap is black. Thor is a woman. Marvel is trying way to hard.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.