Who else could wield Cap's Shield?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
Inspired by recent events.
There have already been quite a few Captain Americas (not just having the shield like Vance Astro and Killraven). More than i thought...

William Nasland
Jeffrey Mace
William Burnside
Bob Russo
"Scar" Turpin
Roscoe Simons
John Walker
Bucky Barnes

Bucky had the longest most successful run i believe, and now Sam Wilson is getting a turn.

What other MU characters in your opinions could actually take the Cap persona?

Ben Grimm-the color scheme would be clashy as hell, but Grimm is a real American type guy who would embody the fighting spirit.

Carol Danvers-a female Cap character's not unheard of, and she holds the actual Cap in high regard. She'd be a very in your face version, i think.

Simon Williams-he took the shield into battle once, and was properly awed by it. Guy who's doubted himself in the past, representing his country would make for some good story opportunities.

I once might have listed Scott Summers, but his character development has made me nix the idea.

golem370
I was thinking Luke Cage good fighter, tough, super strong

Stoic
The guys that you've mentioned have the physical characteristics, but not the charisma. Te best that you did mention was Carol though I have to take back what I said about her she's a good leader the rest not so good. I'd imagine Simon having a panic attack every time he faces off against an enemy with far superior stats than him. What's wrong with the character that they are going to go with, and what's the story with Steve? I read earlier that they were going to go with a Black CA what's going on? I'm also not opposed to the idea as long as they have good leadership skills, combat ability, and the charisma to get things cracking.

riv6672
Thats a lotta questions covered in the comics forum! stick out tongue

Also, disagree on Ben having no charisma, and Simon's panic attacks, he'd be more about stepping up IMO.

Stoic
This is a list of Black Marvel heroes that would possibly fit the role if they are really going to go with a Black CA.

Black Panther
Luke Cage
Blade
Falcon
Bishop
Night Thrasher
Patriot

On the other hand, I think that if they gave gambit the Super Soldier Serum of something to enhance his strength, stamina, and durability that he would make for an interesting CA. I mean I think that it would pretty fricking cool to see him toss a charged up shield at people.

Stoic
Originally posted by riv6672
Thats a lotta questions covered in the comics forum! stick out tongue

Also, disagree on Ben having no charisma, and Simon's panic attacks, he'd be more about stepping up IMO.

Ben is too clunky. Simon may have the physical gifts, but he doesn't have the charisma. He really doesn't.

riv6672
And thats fair, thats what this was intended for, getting opinions!

And not out of spite, but Gambit would be my last choice for Cap, other than the shield trick which would be cool.
I was going more for personality than power.
Ben and Carol have all the mental tools to do well, Simon would be a journey.

Stoic
Carol yes, Ben no, he's the muscle, and there is no getting around the fact that too many people would just dance around him. Patriot would also be a terrific choice. I really am not liking the Falcon thing though. It actually makes me sick just thinking about it. If they were going to go with a new CA, they should have gone with someone that made sense like Triathlete, Patriot, or Isaiah Bradley. The Falcon won't even be enhanced, and that's one of the key ingredients that went into making it believable that Captain America could take on guys way above his weight class. This flying into battle sh!t is cool and all, but the Falcon is just an Olympic level athlete if that. I tell you this idea makes me sick.

Insane Titan
Deadpool

DarkSaint85
Black Panther, for sure.

OnslaughtKILLS
Namor

Delta1938
Originally posted by Stoic
read earlier that they were going to go with a Black CA what's going on? I'm also not opposed to the idea as long as they have good leadership skills, combat ability, and the charisma to get things cracking.

So, you mean you don't have a problem with a black character taking Cap's role in and of itself, but you're afraid it might just be a cheap gimmick?

Stoic
Originally posted by Delta1938
So, you mean you don't have a problem with a black character taking Cap's role in and of itself, but you're afraid it might just be a cheap gimmick?

Pretty much. I mean if you're going to make a change, don't break the idea of the Super Soldier, add to it. With the Falcon, it just feels like they're breaking it.

maxivitopowe
Prodigy

Delta1938
Pretty much. I mean if you're going to make a change, don't break the idea of the Super Soldier, add to it. With the Falcon, it just feels like they're breaking it.

Yeah, changing such an established character's race just for the sake of changing the race is dumb. It's not as bad with B-Listers like Firestorm or The Ray who can't keep their own series for long, but Cap is a freaking icon. If you're going to replace Steve with a black character, make it worthwhile. Make it MEAN something. Otherwise it's stupid.

Stoic
Yeah, changing such an established character's race just for the sake of changing the race is dumb. It's not as bad with B-Listers like Firestorm or The Ray who can't keep their own series for long, but Cap is a freaking icon. If you're going to replace Steve with a black character, make it worthwhile. Make it MEAN something. Otherwise it's stupid.

Not really because Captain America is more of a career than an actual icon. Steve is the icon. In the history of Captain America there have been several to pick up the shield. Ethnicity really has nothing to do with being Captain America. I have no problem with Black super heroes, I would feel the same if they went and made the character a Chinese woman tbh. What gets me, is that they're trying to fail. The Falcon is as much a super hero as the Lone Ranger is, he's just an acrobat with no enhanced anything. They really shouldn't have gone with him. Patriot would have been the best choice if they were going this route.

I also believe that Captain America's sales were failing, so they had to do something.

Delta1938
Not really because Captain America is more of a career than an actual icon. Steve is the icon. In the history of Captain America there have been several to pick up the shield. Ethnicity really has nothing to do with being Captain America. I have no problem with Black super heroes, I would feel the same if they went and made the character a Chinese woman tbh. What gets me, is that they're trying to fail. The Falcon is as much a super hero as the Lone Ranger is, he's just an acrobat with no enhanced anything. They really shouldn't have gone with him. Patriot would have been the best choice if they were going this route.

I also believe that Captain America's sales were failing, so they had to do something.

I know there's been ones other than Steve who have taken the role, but I have a feeling that's not what most people think of as soon as they hear "Captain America." Either they just think of the image if they're a non-comic fan, maybe think of Steve if they saw the movie. I would think most comic fans think of Steve, and not how Captain America has had other characters take his place.

I thought Falcon was enhanced to a degree from a blood transfusion from Steve. A comic involving that was the first appearance I read from him. Unless it's another Falcon, or they even retconned it?

Wouldn't surprise me if it's a gimmick for poor sales.

golem370
Wyatt Wingfoot 6foot5 260lbs able to lift twice his body weight or 520lbs US Agent

rotiart
Clint Barton.

LeonBuco666
King Leonidas. Obviously.

MF DELPH
I think it'd be interesting if Spider-Man (or one of his clones) took a short stint as Captain America as a tribute to one of his/their heroes. It'd also be cool if a villain reformed and became Captain America for similar reasons. My first thought was Baron Zemo but I think it'd be a bit to awkward for a legacy Nazi to be Captain America. However I think the move in the comics was moreso to hedge the film franchise since Chris Evans intends to step down so they want to establish precedent for Falcon, who was just introduced in Captain America 2, taking up the shield going into Avengers 3 and beyond.

Stoic
I know there's been ones other than Steve who have taken the role, but I have a feeling that's not what most people think of as soon as they hear "Captain America." Either they just think of the image if they're a non-comic fan, maybe think of Steve if they saw the movie. I would think most comic fans think of Steve, and not how Captain America has had other characters take his place.

I thought Falcon was enhanced to a degree from a blood transfusion from Steve. A comic involving that was the first appearance I read from him. Unless it's another Falcon, or they even retconned it?

Wouldn't surprise me if it's a gimmick for poor sales.

Yeah from what I read it's been retconned, their going with a non Super Soldier theme on the new CA.

Yamcha
Frank Castle, throw some Super Serum in him and let him go wild. Seriously if Bane can be Batman for a little while might as well let SS Punisher be Cap.

pym-ftw
I'd like to see either Moon Knight or Shang Chi take up the shield, but Falcon is definitely not bad and this idea that the SSS makes Captain America is missing the point if the story.

golem370
American Eagle

LeonBuco666
Red Skull

deathslash

I also believe that Captain America's sales were failing, so they had to do something. falcon might not be enhanced, but that doesn't mean that he can't do well against characters that are out of his weight class. Marvel could still find a way to give him a supersoldier serum and even though he isn't enhanced, he still has the oower to control the minds of birds.

deathslash
Double post

riv6672
This generated more Falcon talk than anything, but very interesting none the less.
I dont see how picking someone who's been your on/off partner for years is anything but a natural story progression, color aside.

DarkSaint85
Wonder Man should step up, and take the shield. Now THAT would be character progression.

pym-ftw
Girl Thor

raver

riv6672
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Wonder Man should step up, and take the shield. Now THAT would be character progression.
You either get me like Louise got Thelma, or just want me to stop bringing up Simon. wink

Either way, thanks!

maxivitopowe
Spidey

riv6672
That choice doesnt work for me.
Kind of like seeing him as a full time Avenger didnt seem right. To me.

Existere
Jack Flag.

Bentley
Bucky wasn't enhanced and he was a fine Cap, Falcon will do ok.

Supermex
Why not go all the with Cap here and make it Adam Basher as the new Cap?

Blue Marvel now Cap.America?

Captain America. Adam Basher

golem370
Taskmaster/w sss and as a hero

riv6672
Face palm at last two posts.

Ambient
Thanos - I could see villains pee in they're pants if they see him with the shield standing in front of them..

Starlord - his got the strat to match Steve.

golem370
Captain Mar-Vell

Magnon
Batroc the Leaper should wield it. After first painting it with the Tricolore, ofc.

Rao Kal El
Blue Marvel!!!

riv6672
Originally posted by Ambient
Thanos
Thanos respects Cap.
If Cap fell in battle and Thanos felt he owed him...eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.