Nod to Bardock42: Meaning

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
Over in the million post thread he commented on how the goal was meaningless.
But, isnt everything essentially meaningless until we say it isnt?
A flag is a colorful piece of cloth. A diploma a piece of paper. An award a piece of metal/glass/wood. Gold is a yellow rock. A marathon, climbing a mountain, becoming a parent...
If things had gone differently and cars etc. didnt need oil, would it mean as much?
So, is anything really meaningless?

Tzeentch
What goal?

And yes, everything is inherently meaningless. Meaning and value is in the eye of the beholder.

riv6672
Oh, the goal is to get the thread to a million posts.

And yeah, i agree with your opinion.
In his defense, i think Bardock42 may have mistaken meaningless for pointless...wink

Tzeentch
That Bardock42, he's a wily one.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by riv6672
A flag is a colorful piece of cloth. A diploma a piece of paper. An award a piece of metal/glass/wood. Gold is a yellow rock. A marathon, climbing a mountain, becoming a parent...
If things had gone differently and cars etc. didnt need oil, would it mean as much?

I would say you care more then him considering you needed to post about this here, instead of in the thread where this happened.

Robtard
Bardock42 is a nihilist.

riv6672
Originally posted by Tzeentch
That Bardock42, he's a wily one.
He seems cool.

riv6672
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
I would say you care more then him considering you needed to post about this here, instead of in the thread where this happened.
And i can see you have a loooong nose to look down at me with. stick out tongue
I'm sure your thread ideas come via the stork, but mine come from whatever piques my interest and i feel might generate some conversation.
Crazy, i know!

riv6672
Originally posted by Robtard
Bardock42 is a nihilist.
Ah, sweet!

Bardock42

Or perhaps everything is meaningless

I wonder though, what do you think is the difference between "meaningless" and "pointless"?

riv6672
Of course it is.
Until given meaning.
I think pointless is a more apt description of many things, though. Things taking on meaning is almost inevitable.

riv6672
Didnt notice the second part of your post.
As an example, the thread that brought this up is pretty pointless, but it has meaning. As to what it is, thats up to all the folks that have contributed to it to assign.

Bardock42
Of course it is.
Until given meaning.
I think pointless is a more apt description of many things, though. Things taking on meaning is almost inevitable.

I don't feel like there is a real difference between pointless and meaningless. Definitely not one that's largely agreed upon. To me, if something has meaning it has a point (both subjective). Obviously I do agree with you though, that meaning is what you make of it, so in that light you could view my post in the 1.000.000 post thread as saying "To me this is a meaningless endeavor".

However, it was just a joke, and I may not agree with that statement anyways.

riv6672
Not largely agreed on is why i thought this might be a good subject to discuss.

You didnt seem to be angrish in your initial post/response to me, and i took it as funny.
But you cant get more basic than a discussion on the meaning of things, or lack there of, so i gave you due credit and started a thread!

Bardock42
Not largely agreed on is why i thought this might be a good subject to discuss.

You didnt seem to be angrish in your initial post/response to me, and i took it as funny.
But you cant get more basic than a discussion on the meaning of things, or lack there of, so i gave you due credit and started a thread!

Oh yes, I don't mind, I just wanted to reinforce that it was in jest.

But to reiterate, what Robtard said is not wrong, I am an existental nihilist in the sense that I do not think there is a meta meaning to anything humans do beyond the meaning we ascribe to it. I don't believe in a higher power or creator for one, and even if I did, I can't see why I would value their meaning higher than any individual person's meaning.

riv6672
Again, we agree.
The ascribing meaning to things for sure.
I do believe in a higher power, i just dont believe in living my life trying to please him.
There are folks closer to home that have more immediate influence as to what i do and dont.

It's xyz!
Doesn't meaning imply purpose before the fact, and point imply purpose after the fact?

Or is that just me being dumb again?

riv6672
I'm just drive by posting, i'll check Webster later if no ine else has...thumb up

The Renegade
Originally posted by Bardock42
I am an existental nihilist in the sense that I do not think there is a meta meaning to anything humans do beyond the meaning we ascribe to it. I don't believe in a higher power or creator for one, and even if I did, I can't see why I would value their meaning higher than any individual person's meaning.

thumb up

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
Oh yes, I don't mind, I just wanted to reinforce that it was in jest.

But to reiterate, what Robtard said is not wrong, I am an existental nihilist in the sense that I do not think there is a meta meaning to anything humans do beyond the meaning we ascribe to it. I don't believe in a higher power or creator for one, and even if I did, I can't see why I would value their meaning higher than any individual person's meaning.

That's so edgy that I actually cut myself reading it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.