Darth Nyriss vs Darth Maul

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
Darth Nyriss: The Old Republic: Revan
--versus--
Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir

Sinious
Good one. Maul is a beast and feels like the superior warrior but the fact that Nyriss owned Surik and mortal Scourge and even with Revan's aid they had a hard time defeating her complicates things.

That single feat there probably puts Nyriss above Maul but Im open to changing my mind if anyone is up for it.

FreshestSlice
They had a hard time defeating her with Revan? Perhaps I read a different book... erm

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
They had a hard time defeating her with Revan? Perhaps I read a different book... erm
thumb up

Sinious

Was that not the case? Is there a quote for that specific confrontation? I don't remember the details of the book that well.

DarthAnt66
"A burst of purple lightning arched down the steps, catching both men in the chest. They barely had time to scream before they were turned into charred and smoking husks.

She raised her free hand above her hand above her head and fired off another burst of lightning. Both Scourge and Meetra threw themselves clear of the deadly electrical bolt, but in doing so gave Nyriss the early advantage.

Before they could recover, she leapt at them. Despite her withered appearance, she moved with all the speed and ferocity of a dark side warrior in her prime. She landed right between the two adversaries, her blade flashing back and forth in a series of slashes and cuts that immediately threw her two opponents on the defensive.

Scourge barely managed to parry the first wave of her assault, unable to even thing about countering with an attack of his own. Another quick thrust foced him off balanced and he staggered backwards.

Nyriss seized on the opportunity to focus all her efforts on breaking through Meetra's defenses. The Jedi was clearly outmatched; though she managed to hold her ground, she was forced down on one knee.

In the awkward position her right flank was exposed, and Nyriss brought her blade in to deliver a crippling cut. At the same time, Scourge lashed out with the Force, catching Nyriss flush in the center of her chest.

An ordinary foe would have been thrown clear across the room, but Nyriss instinctively threw up a Force barrier to protect herself, absorbing and redirecting the brunt of the impact. Even so, Scourge's attack knocked her off balance just enough time to send her lightsaber wide of the mark, giving Meetra the opportunity she needed to scramble away to safety.

Scourge rushed forward, hoping to drive Nyriss back into a corner, but she mat his charge was an invisible wave of rippling energy. It picked Scourge and tossed him head-over-heals, sending him crashing into the wall.

Dazed, he looked up just in time to see another bolt of violet lightning to catch Meetra in the chest. Like Nyriss, she threw up a barrier to save herself from the worst of it, but she was still knocked from her feet.

'Did you think I would be as easy to defeat as Xedrix?' Nyriss shouted, raising her lightsaber triumphantly above her head.

The air around her began to crackle and grow hot as she gathered herself for the killing blow. Scourge felt the energy building inside her, and he knew he was powerless to stop it. Nyrisss was too powerful; her command of the dark side was too strong.

"Gaze upon me and see your doom!" she declared. "I am Darth Nyriss, Lord of the Sith. I am conqueror of Drezzi, the destroyer of Melldia, and a member of the Dark Council!"

Scourge braced himself for the end.

Just then, Revan emerged from the cell. He had pulled the hood of his Jedi robe up to cover his head, and he wore the red-and-gray mask, hiding his face.

A dozen bolts of lightning sprang from Nyriss' hand, arcing across the room to incinerate her enemies. Instead of leaping back into the cell to avoid the deadly attack, Revan stepped forward to intercept it.

Both hands were held in front of him, his arms fully extended at shoulder height, hiss thumbs touching and his fingers splayed wide. He drew the bolts of lighting into his waiting grasp, channeling them away from their intended targets and absorbing their power.

"I am Revan reborn," he said to Nyriss. " and before me you are nothing."

Nyriss' eyes went wide as Revan unleashed the power of her own attack against her. She tried to throw up another Force shield, but the bolts ripped it apart and continued unabated. The lighting engulfed her, the intense heat consuming her instantly, leaving only a pile of charred ash."

Selenial
Maul.

Nyriss had all the time in the world to prepare for that attack. In my opinion, Xedrix is mentioned in that passage as a hint that Nyriss was doing the EXACT same thing that Xedrix did, build up all her power in an attempt to Break their barriers no matter what.

Maul's a far superior duelist to Scourge, Meetra was weakened severely, so yeh, I'd give it to Maul.

DarthAnt66
lmfao

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Selenial
Maul.

Nyriss had all the time in the world to prepare for that attack. In my opinion, Xedrix is mentioned in that passage as a hint that Nyriss was doing the EXACT same thing that Xedrix did, build up all her power in an attempt to Break their barriers no matter what.

Maul's a far superior duelist to Scourge, Meetra was weakened severely, so yeh, I'd give it to Maul.
You are joking, right?

Darth Nyriss fought Lord Scourge and Meetra Surik simultaneously. All of them expended energy and put effort in the fight.

Meetra Surik had healed prior to this development so the benefits that she had from her Wound condition were gone too. After the healing, Meetra Surik became normal and could perform actions within the bounds of her actual potential.

Pause came during the battle when Lord Scourge and Meetra Surik were downed. During this pause, Darth Nyriss gathered her power to deliver the killing blow to both but Revan interfered.

Also, Lord Scourge and Meetra Surik were proven warriors at this point. Do you think that Darth Maul can overwhelm both of them on his own? Both Lord Scourge and Meetra Surik were fantastic with a lightsaber and Lord Scourge was very fast as well.

Sinious
Thanks Ant thumb up

Im trying to understand if Revan was able to finish her like that cause of the moment he joined the fight or if the same would happen on a 1on1 fight.

But if Revan is capable of killing Nyriss like that, then I wouldn't argue about Maul's superiority since its obvious that Revan wouldn't be able to kill Maul that quickly.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Sinious
Thanks Ant thumb up

Im trying to understand if Revan was able to finish her like that cause of the moment he joined the fight or if the same would happen on a 1on1 fight.

But if Revan is capable of killing Nyriss like that, then I wouldn't argue about Maul's superiority since its obvious that Revan wouldn't be able to kill Maul that quickly.
Or it shows how powerful Revan really is.

However, it seems as if Darth Nyriss was caught in a catch-22 situation. Her own power was turned on her and she did not muster adequate defenses at that moment. Maybe she didn't had sufficient time since her own power burned her swiftly.

DarthAnt66
Or her lightning is just that powerful.

Sinious
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD

However, it seems as if Darth Nyriss was caught in a catch-22 situation. Her own power was turned on her and she did not muster adequate defenses at that moment. Maybe she didn't had sufficient time since her own power burned her swiftly.

That is what Im thinking too. Nyriss also seems to be very fast. Im not sure if Maul could defend against a lightning like this.

NewGuy01

What? I completely missed this. Quote?

NewGuy01
Anyway, unless Selenial provides, my answer is probably like it's always been. In virtue of skill, speed, and power--Maul should win. However, it's hard to predict how he would fare against her FLS, and as she is unexplored we are left unaware of her potential as a Sorceress.

Selenial
Originally posted by NewGuy01
What? I completely missed this. Quote?

Didn't she scream something like "Did you think you could defeat me so easily like you did Xedrix?"

Lemme go check.

Edit: Yep, never mind, ant already posted that.

Selenial
You are joking, right?

Darth Nyriss fought Lord Scourge and Meetra Surik simultaneously. All of them expended energy and put effort in the fight.

Meetra Surik had healed prior to this development so the benefits that she had from her Wound condition were gone too. After the healing, Meetra Surik became normal and could perform actions within the bounds of her actual potential.

Pause came during the battle when Lord Scourge and Meetra Surik were downed. During this pause, Darth Nyriss gathered her power to deliver the killing blow to both but Revan interfered.

Also, Lord Scourge and Meetra Surik were proven warriors at this point. Do you think that Darth Maul can overwhelm both of them on his own? Both Lord Scourge and Meetra Surik were fantastic with a lightsaber and Lord Scourge was very fast as well.

Doesn't matter if they expended energy.

Incorrect. Stop talking like you know anything about Meetra Surik.

Yes, I think in the same situation Maul could have beaten them both. Surik wasn't that good with a blade, good, but nowhere near Mauls level from what we've seen.

S_W_LeGenD
Doesn't matter if they expended energy.
Let us re-examine this statement from you:

"Nyriss had all the time in the world to prepare for that attack. In my opinion, Xedrix is mentioned in that passage as a hint that Nyriss was doing the EXACT same thing that Xedrix did, build up all her power in an attempt to Break their barriers no matter what." (Selenial)

You are comparing the situation of Darth Nyriss with that of Darth Xedrix on the basis of the observation that they had time to gather their power. Difference between two cases is that Darth Nyriss fought her enemies, subdued them and created time to gather power to deliver the killing blow. In contrast, Darth Xedrix was a mere shadow of his former-self, did not fight his enemies but let his companions do it for him and had ample time to gather his power. In short, these two situations are not comparable.

Incorrect. Stop talking like you know anything about Meetra Surik.
?

Meetra Surik is well-known character, Selenial.

Yes, I think in the same situation Maul could have beaten them both. Surik wasn't that good with a blade, good, but nowhere near Mauls level from what we've seen.
Then you are underestimating swordsmanship capability of both Lord Scourge and Meetra Surik.

Lord Scourge was an expert swordsman, had such repute in the Sith Academy while nearing graduation that even his instructors were reluctant to confront him in a real duel. In addition, Lord Scourge was very fast as well as made apparent in Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan several times. He was also battle-hardened outside graduation and defeated two Imperial Guard individuals simultaneously during one of his battles, one of them was a leader. A lone Imperial Guard individual is stated to be a match for a lone Jedi and a leader is more then a match.

Meetra Surik demonstrated the capability to outduel two Imperial Guard individuals simultaneously in a battle as well. Therefore, Surik's swordsmanship capability is amazing and above norm as well.

Put Lord Scourge and Meetra Surik together and you get considerable firepower.

FreshestSlice
In the novel, Revan claims Surik is a powerful Jedi that even the Council would want to turn back to the Light.

S_W_LeGenD
In the novel, Revan claims Surik is a powerful Jedi that even the Council would want to turn back to the Light.
Indeed! the referred novel explicitly acknowledges Surik as a powerful Jedi as well.

Selenial

?

Meetra Surik is well-known character, Selenial.

Then you are underestimating swordsmanship capability of both Lord Scourge and Meetra Surik.

Lord Scourge was an expert swordsman, had such repute in the Sith Academy while nearing graduation that even his instructors were reluctant to confront him in a real duel. In addition, Lord Scourge was very fast as well as made apparent in Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan several times. He was also battle-hardened outside graduation and defeated two Imperial Guard individuals simultaneously during one of his battles, one of them was a leader. A lone Imperial Guard individual is stated to be a match for a lone Jedi and a leader is more then a match.

Meetra Surik demonstrated the capability to outduel two Imperial Guard individuals simultaneously in a battle as well. Therefore, Surik's swordsmanship capability is amazing and above norm as well.

Put Lord Scourge and Meetra Surik together and you get considerable firepower.

1) They're comparable, you just choose not to compare them.
2) She's well known but you know nothing about her.
3) Not a match for Maul.

S_W_LeGenD
1) They're comparable, you just choose not to compare them.
2) She's well known but you know nothing about her.
3) Not a match for Maul.
Fantastic counter-arguments, so convincing.

Selenial
Fantastic counter-arguments, so convincing.

Thank you

nfactor1995
Nyriss probably/maybe

MythLord
Maul.

Rockydonovang
nah, nyriss can use lightning, mal can't, so nyriss obvs stomps

Azronger
Maul can use Lightning. This myth has been floating around for too long.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Azronger
Maul can use Lightning. This myth has been floating around for too long.
WTF has he never used it though?

DarthAnt66
It must be laughably ineffective if he never once opted to use it.

Zenwolf
Wasn't that from some magazine VS thing? Tbh I'd find it more inaccurate information, if he knew it at some point, at any point in time he would have used it.

Deronn_solo
No too sure. Maul is the more powerful duelist, but Nyriss, may frankly - be more powerful in the Force, or at least more combatively deadly with it.

Rockydonovang
at a minimum maul's lighting isn't remotely relevant

darthbane77
Nyriss fries him.

carthage
Maul probably loses a duel

Selenial
Christ I was an retard back in the day smile

Still Maul though.

thesithmaster
Maul wins. He's better in a duel.

S_W_LeGenD
Darth Nyriss easily.

Rockydonovang
maul pulls a freighter on her

toplel
Darth Nyriss easily.
lol @easily

this is a good fight

thesithmaster
No one wins easily, lol.
Maul wins- but it's after a very good fight.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by toplel
lol @easily

this is a good fight
How is this a good fight?

I don't see Darth Maul manhandling Lord Scourge and Meetra Surik simultaneously - both of whom are accomplished warriors in their own right.

Darth Maul is not the juggernaut people make him out to be.

thesithmaster
I don't see Nyriss, while pre-prime, make a famed Jedi battlemaster admit his opponent's considerable superiority in moments of fighting and then proceeding to quickly drive said Jedi back, stomp a Dark Jedi capable of butchering twenty Mandalorians as a simple Padawan when having a point-blank blaster wound to the shoulder, nor having fun with and wrecking a duo composed of a Jedi Master who was one of the purest swordsmen in the Order's history and who humbled said battlemaster whose skills were labeled by some as second to none (false, but still) and a Padawan who was already one of the Order's finest. Nor do I see her trouncing S4 Kenobi while seriously out of practice.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.