Needs Pet Advice

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raisen
So I'm in my thirties and for the first time in my life I own a phucking hamster. However, I've noticed he is pretty smart after having him for a couple days.

Anybody have any advice at all?
Food?
Exercise?
Tricks?
Habitat?
Hamster Gear?

Anything?

Yes, I'm in my thirties and I am also a father. A hamster should be no daunting task, but I'm the type of person who likes to have all tips and tricks.

Thank you in advance.

dadudemon
So you're saying that you're....Raisen a hamster? eh? eh? ehhhh? awesome

Clovie
hamsters live short, no need to bother about it erm

Raisen
Originally posted by dadudemon
So you're saying that you're....Raisen a hamster? eh? eh? ehhhh? awesome

urine a good mood this morning

Raisen

Robtard
Originally posted by Raisen
So I'm in my thirties and for the first time in my life I own a phucking hamster. However, I've noticed he is pretty smart after having him for a couple days.

Anybody have any advice at all?
Food?
Exercise?
Tricks?
Habitat?
Hamster Gear?

Anything?

Yes, I'm in my thirties and I am also a father. A hamster should be no daunting task, but I'm the type of person who likes to have all tips and tricks.

Thank you in advance.

I've had hamsters as a child and currently have one for my kids.

Food: A quality rodent food, preferably one with a hamster picture on the bag. A few times a week give it small portions of fresh fruits and veggies.

Exercise: Get a hamster wheel for the cage.

Tricks: No idea. But I'd avoid most "Hamster Treats" they sell in stores, as they're usually just food coated with some kind of sugar.

Habitat: I have used both cages and aquariums, I prefer aquariums, as they're easier to clean. Bedding: the shredded paper works great, but it does nothing to control the urine smell, so I like to do a mixture of paper and woodchip bedding. I also throw in about 6-12 inches of white (non scented, perfumed etc) toilet paper, since hamsters like to shred it and nest.

Hamster Gear: Be sure to include something the hamster can chew on to wear down his/her teeth. They sell wood items in pet stores for this. If you have hardwood floors or a tight carpet,
you can also get a hamster ball. Beware of stairs.

Clovie

Fallschirmjäger

Raisen
Originally posted by Robtard
I've had hamsters as a child and currently have one for my kids.

Food: A quality rodent food, preferably one with a hamster picture on the bag. A few times a week give it small portions of fresh fruits and veggies.

Exercise: Get a hamster wheel for the cage.

Tricks: No idea. But I'd avoid most "Hamster Treats" they sell in stores, as they're usually just food coated with some kind of sugar.

Habitat: I have used both cages and aquariums, I prefer aquariums, as they're easier to clean. Bedding: the shredded paper works great, but it does nothing to control the urine smell, so I like to do a mixture of paper and woodchip bedding. I also throw in about 6-12 inches of white (non scented, perfumed etc) toilet paper, since hamsters like to shred it and nest.

Hamster Gear: Be sure to include something the hamster can chew on to wear down his/her teeth. They sell wood items in pet stores for this. If you have hardwood floors or a tight carpet,
you can also get a hamster ball. Be ware of stairs.

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me this great advice.

Raisen

Fallschirmjäger
dang. I'm sorry to hear that.

Thanks :-) For me though, knowing that I managed to keep both cats alive for nearly a quarter of my life in human years is a boost to me, because it shows that I care for them and that that care is paying off.

As to hamsters, I had a few that lasted a few years, and I also had a guinea pig that lived to be 9 or 10, which is unheard of if I remember right. I used to feed him a carrot every day and always gave him whatever veggies I could. Maybe that's a cue for us humans to start doing the same thing? Maybe, but until then burgers are still on the menu smile

Anyway, a hamster or a guinea pig will make a great pet too.

Raisen

Raisen
Originally posted by Emperor Q99
cats ftw

I really appreciate cats but I've never met one I wasn't allergic to.

dogs ftw.

but a hamster has to do for now.

Raisen
phucking thing died yesterday.

Bardock42
Jesus Christ....

Fallschirmjäger
I had two guinea pigs as a kid. for years all they did was bite everyone. then they died. I can understand one that bites, but both of them? it was like a gang.

Were they hand raised before they came to you? Hand raising is an important thing for any small rodent such a gp's or hammies. Our guinea pig was always in the mood for being picked up because he was so used to it as he was hand raised prior to purchase.

When he heard a bag of lettuce rattling or saw a carrot he would start crying for it, it was so funny. Also, if you do get a gp again, make sure to have a gnawing stone so they can keep their teeth at the proper length. Their teeth grow all thru their life and need to be regularly cut down by a vet or by a gnawing stone.

Raisen
Originally posted by Bardock42
Jesus Christ....

??

Bardock42
Hey I got a hamster I need some pet advice.

Bardock42
Nvm, it died.

Raisen
Nvm, it died.

my fiance left it with her sister when we went to san diego for two days.
i come back and the thing is falling over as it attempts to walk. this is a sunday and no vet is open.
i hold it in my hand for 30 mns as it goes into death throes.

i'm pretty shocked and pissed off actually, but i'm not responsible for its death

Bardock42
It's sad. Sorry about your loss.

Raisen
It's sad. Sorry about your loss.

it's cool man. hopefully i have better luck next time. i should have put it out of it's misery but didn't have the heart to do it when the fiance started crying.

i blame quan. don't know why but i blame him for all the woes of this world.

Bardock42
You'll get another pet?

Raisen
You'll get another pet?

i'll get another hamster probably. i'm planning on getting a dog from my friend in september, once it's weaned.

sometimes you get defective animals, sometimes an animal gets defective owners.....i know i'm not the latter. i've lived long enough to see many pets pass, it hurts, but death is just a part of life. i've hardened myself against the death but learned to keep the part that enjoys their life.

probably get another hamster on saturday. or a guinea pig possibly. just need to decide if i want to spend the time building a guinea pig habitat. i'm not much of a handy man.

Raisen
got another phucking hamster. I don't give up

Lexington
oh man, talk about a SAGA... perhaps a goldfish?

The Renegade
I'm the resident hamster pro, tbh.

I'd suggest a Syrian. A female Syrian, really. They smell the least repugnant and are usually quite mild-tempered. Purchase pellets that are big enough (roughly the size of two jellybeans side-by-side) because they need to continuously grind down their teeth.

Don't give them too many store-bought treats. They can develop diabetes and it's not all that manageable for hamsters like it is for humans. I'd suggest some alfalfa hay, boiled egg (once a week), and kale. Kale is amazing and they love it.

If you put them in a wired cage and the hamster begins to gnaw at the bars, you need to take them out of the cage and change their home (I'd suggest an aquarium or even a large plastic container, which is what I use) because chewing on the bars excessively can lead to chipped teeth or, in worse and prolonged allowances of bar-chewing, brain damage.

They also need to be in a relatively warm environment (66-75 degrees Fahrenheit). If it's too cold, they go into hibernation (that's a death sentence and it can happen in as short as two hours) and if it's too hot, they can suffer from heat stroke. Hibernation can lead to death via starvation and dehydration and heat stroke can affect their brain in numerous ways, including how they walk and "head tilt." They often die from both so be careful.

Also, cleaning their cage. You can leave their cage (be sure to put plenty of bedding down for increased absorption of urine and other liquids) uncleaned for weeks. Hamsters tend to favor a "lived in" environment, as opposed to a clean one. ALSO, they get bored easily, which is why you'll notice they don't chew toys often. Due to this boredom, you should be moving things around in their cage every single time you clean it. Put the food dish in a different location or their hut/igloo, if they have one. Move shit around. Legit.

Don't wake them up when they're sleeping either. It puts a dent in their longevity. They need rest. With all that and what I assume would be a bit more research on your end, you should have a relatively healthy hamster that could live 3+ years, barring any congenital disorders or sudden health mishaps, which can definitely occur/recur.

Raisen
Originally posted by The Renegade

I'd suggest a Syrian. A female Syrian, really. They smell the least repugnant and are usually quite mild-tempered. Purchase pellets that are big enough (roughly the size of two jellybeans side-by-side) because they need to continuously grind down their teeth.

Don't give them too many store-bought treats. They can develop diabetes and it's not all that manageable for hamsters like it is for humans. I'd suggest some alfalfa hay, boiled egg (once a week), and kale. Kale is amazing and they love it.

If you put them in a wired cage and the hamster begins to gnaw at the bars, you need to take them out of the cage and change their home (I'd suggest an aquarium or even a large plastic container, which is what I use) because chewing on the bars excessively can lead to chipped teeth or, in worse and prolonged allowances of bar-chewing, brain damage.

They also need to be in a relatively warm environment (66-75 degrees Fahrenheit). If it's too cold, they go into hibernation (that's a death sentence and it can happen in as short as two hours) and if it's too hot, they can suffer from heat stroke. Hibernation can lead to death via starvation and dehydration and heat stroke can affect their brain in numerous ways, including how they walk and "head tilt." They often die from both so be careful.

Also, cleaning their cage. You can leave their cage (be sure to put plenty of bedding down for increased absorption of urine and other liquids) uncleaned for weeks. Hamsters tend to favor a "lived in" environment, as opposed to a clean one. ALSO, they get bored easily, which is why you'll notice they don't chew toys often. Due to this boredom, you should be moving things around in their cage every single time you clean it. Put the food dish in a different location or their hut/igloo, if they have one. Move shit around. Legit.

Don't wake them up when they're sleeping either. It puts a dent in their longevity. They need rest. With all that and what I assume would be a bit more research on your end, you should have a relatively healthy hamster that could live 3+ years, barring any congenital disorders or sudden health mishaps, which can definitely occur/recur.

i have a female syrian. she sleeps all damn day man.

Esau Cairn

i'm pretty shocked and pissed off actually, but i'm not responsible for its death

Bullsh*t you're not responsible for its death!

How about doing some f*cking research first before taking the responsibility of owning a pet.

Instead of asking for advice on a message board, try a simple google search on "Hamster Care Sheets."

Read. Invest on the gear you need then get a hamster NOT the other way around.

The Renegade
Originally posted by Esau Cairn

How about doing some f*cking research first before taking the responsibility of owning a pet.

Instead of asking for advice on a message board, try a simple google search on "Hamster Care Sheets."

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/4OVLKQc.gif

Robtard

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130405210153/degrassi/images/7/75/Eyeroll.gif

Raisen
Originally posted by Esau Cairn

well you bashed and cursed atme without knowing a thing about what i did.
if you read my posts in this thread then you would know that i try to accumulate as much information as possible.
i bought a hamster book when i bought the hamster. i did internet research. i consulted with the employees at the shop.
this forum was just another avenue for more information SO I CAN GET EVEN MORE ADVICE, NOT BE THE BRUNT OF ACCUSATIONS AND SLANDER

so i recommend that you take your own advice; you could have done two minutes of research on this thread before accusing me of killing my animal.

thank you so much for that. have yourself a good day.

Robtard
It's possible you bought a sick animal to begin with.

Raisen
my second hamster is healthy and active. there is a possibility that the first was just sickly.

btw, i saved a chihuahua on the way home from work a few nights ago. it ran out of the field and a car had to swerve to keep from hitting it.

she is extremely attached already and is eating plenty of food and water. i bathed her and she is very gaunt. all of her ribs and hips are very pronounced.

i'm taking her to the vet tomorrow to get the check-up. if she happens to die i hope esau doesn't fire bomb my house with his PETA buddies and accuse me of animal abuse. smile

Raisen
It's possible you bought a sick animal to begin with.

extremely possible that i did. it happens quite often with hamsters; i've read about it.

during my travels with the military i've taken in many strays. i've found most of them homes with fellow airmen. i'm always prepared when it comes to animals and this one caught me by surprise.

Raisen
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/4OVLKQc.gif

yeah. pretty unbelievable.

Robtard
Esau's Australian, don't take anything he says seriously.

Here's a list of no-no foods: http://mysmelly.com/content/small_animals/dangerous-foods-for-hamsters.htm

Raisen
thank you! i actually have seen this list but i appreciate you helping me.

Esau Cairn

so i recommend that you take your own advice; you could have done two minutes of research on this thread before accusing me of killing my animal.

Read yer posts again.
Where exactly do you mention, internet research, buying a book, talking to pet staff????

Esau Cairn
my fiance left it with her sister when we went to san diego for two days.
i come back and the thing is falling over as it attempts to walk. this is a sunday and no vet is open.

Apparently you failed to pass all your wisdom to yer finance's sister.

By your simple description of falling over...I'm guessing it ate or chewed on something toxic.

The Renegade
Esau's Australian, don't take anything he says seriously.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/dbc.gif

(Also, a better list: http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/74051-safe-and-unsafe-foods-for-hamsters/)

Haha, Rob. Take that, you dork.

Robtard

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/dbc.gif

(Also, a better list: http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/74051-safe-and-unsafe-foods-for-hamsters/)

Haha, Rob. Take that, you dork.

"Hamster Hideout" and you call me a dork. Geez.

The Renegade

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.