Shazam (2016)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
Well...after several years of dancing around this film project, with names as diverse as Jake Gyllenhaal and Brandon Molale, now the guy once attached to play Black Adam instead is playing Shazam(aka Captain Marvel) himself, Dwayne Johnson.

I like it, actually! He will bring some exuberance and goofy humour to the role, which isn't required to play someone like Superman. And DC & Warners gets to broaden out their ethnic casting a bit more for their longstanding whitebread heroes, and this isn't too much of a change.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/dwayne-the-rock-johnson-set-to-play-shazam-in-dc-superhero-movie-9620198.html

Next question - who will direct?

It's already a win that Zack Snyder isn't available for this.

stick out tongue

roughrider
This writer does not seem to get that Zack Snyder is too busy for this film. Also, Peter Jackson would likely only do it if he could film in New Zealand.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/07/23/shazam-the-rock-s-dc-movie-hopes-and-possibilities-2128945?lt_source=external,manual#!blaCd4

juggerman
Black Adam says the same "word". I think he'd be better as BA but we shall see

BruceSkywalker
whether the Rock is Shazam or Black Adam , I'm there...

as long as Bieber isn't billy batson lmfao

Firefly218
I think Guy Ritchie could direct this movie quite well.

ares834
https://31.media.tumblr.com/6645455d47e72dd749964a0226255793/tumblr_n94fm0Z1Mu1qcbo9lo1_500.jpg

juggernaut74
Dude you may or may not be jumping the gun on this sh!t.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by juggerman
Black Adam says the same "word". I think he'd be better as BA but we shall see

I agree, I feel like if The Rock played Black Adam then we'd see Adam in a different light instead of "Oh I'm a douchebag of a bad guy." He wouldn't be the villain that we're "supposed" to hate.

roughrider
I think it's the right call to get one of the biggest movie stars today to play Shazam, because that's the selling point to get the unknowing public into theatres. It's not the same as Superman, who is much better known as a concept and it's better to cast lesser known actors in the role.

YFZ 350
I agree.

-Pr-
He'd be a far better Adam imo, especially if they went the anti-hero route with him.

Either way, it's still not confirmed who he'll be playing.

Golgo13
I told you this was coming. stick out tongue now hopefully Nikki's list of DC's future slate of movies is true.

Golgo13
Btw, I wouldn't mind the directors from the Lego movie doing this.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Golgo13
I told you this was coming. stick out tongue now hopefully Nikki's list of DC's future slate of movies is true.

yeah, because rock wasn't talking about it two years ago. laughing out loud

DARTH POWER
Being Captain Marvel would be very different for superhero movies (in a good way if done right), but if it's going to be part of the DCCU then I think he'd be better placed in it as Black Adam going with the tone MOS established. And I really hope this would at least be 1 other solo franchise that helps build up to Justice League.

Either way I'm so on board for this. However it's not officially confirmed yet and nor is the year of release.

Golgo13
There were some doubters though. And he said he wanted to play Adam, but from the looks of it he will play Shahan or maybe both.

Golgo13
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Being Captain Marvel would be very different for superhero movies (in a good way if done right), but if it's going to be part of the DCCU then I think he'd be better placed in it as Black Adam going with the tone MOS established. And I really hope this would at least be 1 other solo franchise that helps build up to Justice League.

Either way I'm so on board for this. However it's not officially confirmed yet and nor is the year of release.

Rock just tweeted another hint today. Saying, "someone's going to get it". With a pic of superman, shazam, and black Adam. It's obvious now that it will be either of the 2.

Inhuman
It makes more sense that he will play black Adam.
I think he will play a better black Adam that Shazam imo .

roughrider
Originally posted by Inhuman
It makes more sense that he will play black Adam.
I think he will play a better black Adam that Shazam imo .

But that sets up the problem of who plays Shazam, since you'd have to get someone nearly equally as famous to play him. Or you've got a situation like in the first Batman, where it became about seeing Jack Nicholson as the Joker and it overwhelmed Batman as the star of the film.

-Pr-
There were some doubters though. And he said he wanted to play Adam, but from the looks of it he will play Shahan or maybe both.

The best thing they could do, imo, is make Adam the anti-hero, and have him do a huge punch-up with Superman. Let them kick the shit out of each other. Would make the fight in Man of Steel look like two toddlers have a slap fight.

Originally posted by roughrider
But that sets up the problem of who plays Shazam, since you'd have to get someone nearly equally as famous to play him. Or you've got a situation like in the first Batman, where it became about seeing Jack Nicholson as the Joker and it overwhelmed Batman as the star of the film.

adam can easily be a separate franchise from billy.

the only reason I think they'd have him play billy is due to shazam being more well known.

JayDaDon
Either way, Black adam or Shazam, it would be the best big casting news DC has had since Cavill as Supes.

-Pr-
Yep. It would be a major coup too: The biggest action star in the world playing a dc character. rock's movies don't do badly at the box office, so this would have to be an absolute turkey for it to fail.

pym-ftw
If Rock is Shazam do you think Billy will get alot of screen time? That's my issue with him being Shazam.

I honestly don't think we will see a live action Black Adam, i could be proved wrong but idk.

Golgo13
Jason Momoa would be a good fit for Black Adam.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by -Pr-
The best thing they could do, imo, is make Adam the anti-hero, and have him do a huge punch-up with Superman. Let them kick the shit out of each other. Would make the fight in Man of Steel look like two toddlers have a slap fight.

Oh Yeah! You're getting me excited!

BruceSkywalker
The Rock as "Black" Adam will be a success

JayDaDon
Originally posted by pym-ftw
If Rock is Shazam do you think Billy will get alot of screen time? That's my issue with him being Shazam.

I honestly don't think we will see a live action Black Adam, i could be proved wrong but idk.

I don't know who the heck they would use as a villain if not Black Adam. He's got to be Shazam's most if only known villain.

pym-ftw
Probably a superman villain that they dont lnow how to fit in a standard narrative (Mos2, JL, Mos3, JL2) if i had to guess probably Mongul.

Edit: look at all the Bat rogues showing up in Arrow.

JayDaDon
I'd actually want them to fit mongul into Man of steel 2, but after Injustice, all the animated features, Black adam is in the public eye even if he's not hugely popular. It's debatable he may end up being a bigger draw than the star.

pym-ftw
Im guessing

Mos2: DD
JL: DS win via bfr
Mos3: Lobo
JL2: DD loses to an experienced JL

Bentley
Originally posted by JayDaDon
I don't know who the heck they would use as a villain if not Black Adam. He's got to be Shazam's most if only known villain.

Sivana.

There is also Mr. Mind but I admit he's not as famous.

JayDaDon
Sivana is probably somewhere at the very bottom of the Z-list though. They could probably have both with BA being the main course .

Kazenji
I'm going with Black Adam after seeing Dwayne's latest tweet.

Bentley
Originally posted by Kazenji
I'm going with Black Adam after seeing Dwayne's latest tweet.

Post it.

Sivana is probably somewhere at the very bottom of the Z-list though. They could probably have both with BA being the main course .

Sivana is legit, but I'm a sucker for D-listers so I can't probably argue against it.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Bentley
Post it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Ash_ED/Other/3102364_n_zps357f3cf5.jpg

Bentley
Awesome thumb up

Dwayne gets the appeal of it all.

roughrider
It is a bit of a quandary. Black Adam is Shazam's most famous adversary, but the character has been at his best in the past twenty years as an anti-hero who wants to dispense old world justice, so I'd prefer Adam & Shazam to be adversarial in philosophy but ultimately team up.

That leaves more mystical foes like Eclipso, Blaze, Mister Mind...Sivana? I'd rather not go down the Lex Luthor route.

juggernaut74
I think it's the right call to get one of the biggest movie stars today to play Shazam, because that's the selling point to get the unknowing public into theatres. It's not the same as Superman, who is much better known as a concept and it's better to cast lesser known actors in the role. Pretty much. They need to get a big name actor to get this going. Superman and Batman could have anybody go into the role and it's gonna make money.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Kazenji
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Ash_ED/Other/3102364_n_zps357f3cf5.jpg

Yeah that looks to me like he's hinting at Black Adam there.

He'd certainly be a better fit into the DCCU, with the more serious tone MOS has given us, just not sure where Cap. Marvel will fit into it then. And there is something nice they would be missing out on if they don't take the route of the little kid shouting the magic word Imho.

juggernaut74
I thought there would have been some news regarding this.

ares834
Same. Probably deliberately holding back though as they won't want such news overshadowed by Marvel.

Firefly218
Dwayne Johnson will be awesome whichever role he's in. I would be more concerned about the script/director.

Inhuman
All signs point to Black Adam and im OK with that.

DARTH POWER
Black Adam as an anti-hero could work, and fit in with the whole "Dark and Gritty" tone of the DCCU. But I feel like he would just come across as a General Zod type, but huge and fighting villains.

I'd prefer it if he were Captain Marvel, and then joins the Justice League later. I just see some really fun scenes happening with a guy the size of The Rock, who is almost as powerful as Superman interacting with the JL but acting like a kid.

I think fun scenes like that would balance out all the serious stuff nicely in the DCCU.

JayDaDon
The rock playing up the kid act could make for some really funny scenes.

roughrider
So Dwayne Johnson has confirmed he is indeed playing Black Adam.

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/news/dwayne-johnson-reveals-he-s-playing-black-adam-in--shazam--movie-192334004.html

This increases the pressure of who they could cast to play Shazam, because he has to be virtually Johnson's equal.

Inhuman
So Dwayne Johnson has confirmed he is indeed playing Black Adam.

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/news/dwayne-johnson-reveals-he-s-playing-black-adam-in--shazam--movie-192334004.html

This increases the pressure of who they could cast to play Shazam, because he has to be virtually Johnson's equal.

John Cenawhistling1

JayDaDon
Well Shazam doesn`t have to be exactly as large as the rock. It kind of makes sense to have the villain look a little more imposing.

Golgo13
The guy who played the Tick.

JayDaDon
How about Joe Manganello?

pym-ftw
Didn't like him in sabotage, but then again i disliked sabotage.

Any breakouts for Joe?

ares834
Awesome news even if it was expected. Was kinda hoping the Rock would play Cap, but I'm more than happy with him playing Black Adam.

JayDaDon
Didn't like him in sabotage, but then again i disliked sabotage.

Any breakouts for Joe?

To be honest nothing spectacular, he's one of those guys with potential that are waiting for a huge platform. Like the Rock, he has an instantly likeable personality and can do comedy (How I met your Mother). And the dude is jacked as hell.

DARTH POWER
To be honest nothing spectacular, he's one of those guys with potential that are waiting for a huge platform. Like the Rock, he has an instantly likeable personality and can do comedy (How I met your Mother). And the dude is jacked as hell.

Yes! He was awesome in HIMYM, and looking at his performance on that show I can easily see him playing the big kid. And damn I want my bod to be like his.

Plus I think it's about time he caught a big break so yeah I'd be all for that casting.

JayDaDon
Hes an on the rise star id probably say hes most known for Magic mike. But the dude was also Flash Thompson in the Raimi Spider-Man.

BruceSkywalker

as long as they cast sofia vergara to be in the film too big grin

DARTH POWER
But the dude was also Flash Thompson in the Raimi Spider-Man.

Lol I know. I was shocked when I first learned that was him.

But hey that's just more proof he can play a big kid. Between that and True Blood and HIMYM the guy obviously has range. Would be great if he makes it big. Especially great if he does it through the superhero genre, and a nice irony he started out as Flash Thompson.

Firefly218
I'll repeat in this thread:

My choice for director is Spike Jonze

My choice for Shazam is Michael Trucco. I wouldn't be totally opposed to Joe Manganello getting the role. If WB is smart, they'll choose someone based on acting talent rather than physique. As we saw with Chris Pratt, physique can be built.

roughrider

He was the runner up for Superman, recently. He's looking for the next platform to raise his profile, like Henry Cavill was once. Think I'd be okay with him physically, for the role.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Firefly218
I wouldn't be totally opposed to Joe Manganello getting the role. If WB is smart, they'll choose someone based on acting talent rather than physique. As we saw with Chris Pratt, physique can be built.

Chris Pratt even with his bulking up does not have the right physique for Shazam. Especially when BA is being played by The Rock.

Obviously actings the most important thing, but with this particular part the physique is also going to be really important to the role, so they can't do a Wonder Woman job with it, and put some skinny guy through training for a few months. In fact considering Cap Marvel might be Billy most the time, and The Rock will obviously take a lot of the screen time as well, the Physique may actually be more important than the acting for this particular part. Just depends how they plan go about the role. But either way the Physique is really important for this one IMHO.

And Joe's acting skills are good. This particular role I think he'd be well suited for. But who knows who WB will pick in the end. It's not like any of their casting decisions have been predictable.

Crap, I just thought.. What if Jason Momoa isn't Aquaman and he's Shazam?! Because that Aquaman rumor still hasn't been confirmed, but the last time he was interviewed about it he hinted he's hiding something.

Firefly218
Chris Pratt even with his bulking up does not have the right physique for Shazam. Especially when BA is being played by The Rock.

Obviously actings the most important thing, but with this particular part the physique is also going to be really important to the role, so they can't do a Wonder Woman job with it, and put some skinny guy through training for a few months. In fact considering Cap Marvel might be Billy most the time, and The Rock will obviously take a lot of the screen time as well, the Physique may actually be more important than the acting for this particular part. Just depends how they plan go about the role. But either way the Physique is really important for this one IMHO.

And Joe's acting skills are good. This particular role I think he'd be well suited for. But who knows who WB will pick in the end. It's not like any of their casting decisions have been predictable.

Crap, I just thought.. What if Jason Momoa isn't Aquaman and he's Shazam?! Because that Aquaman rumor still hasn't been confirmed, but the last time he was interviewed about it he hinted he's hiding something.

?

I didn't suggest Chris Pratt should be Shazam... I said, the same way Pratt built up his physique for Starlord, another talented actor could do for shazam. So WB should not cast based on physique.

I haven't seen much of Joe Mangenallo, so I'm not the best judge of his talent. He looks the role though.

Inhuman
http://i.imgur.com/NKHMUDh.jpg

Golgo13

Nice thinking. Kind of weird WB/Jason hasn't confirmed anything. And I doubt it takes this LONG to get a contract going. I actually would have preferred Jason as Adam and the Rock as SHAZAM.

roughrider
It's also kind of backwards to announce casting decisions without a director being named. That's backwards; you get the director first and let them build the movie from the ground up.

DARTH POWER
It's also kind of backwards to announce casting decisions without a director being named. That's backwards; you get the director first and let them build the movie from the ground up.

Well to be fair WB didn't announce this. The Rock went and announced it himself.

JayDaDon

no2

BruceSkywalker

DISGUSTING

roughrider
I'm wondering if they are looking at Channing Tatum for Shazam... shifty

Firefly218
Nah, Tatum is already Gambit

roughrider
^Well, maybe he is, if the producers could figure out the time limitations they put on the character. Gambit met Wolverine in the 1980's in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, before he got amnesia. Even with the rebooted time stream, that's still the period he was a young man. So despite all the talk, I wonder if Gambit will be brought back anytime soon, while Shazam is happening now.

ares834
X-Man Origins wasn't merely rebetooed it was completely ignored.

Firefly218
Originally posted by ares834
X-Man Origins wasn't merely rebetooed it was completely ignored.

So... Rebooted.

DARTH POWER
^Well, maybe he is, if the producers could figure out the time limitations they put on the character. Gambit met Wolverine in the 1980's in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, before he got amnesia. Even with the rebooted time stream, that's still the period he was a young man. So despite all the talk, I wonder if Gambit will be brought back anytime soon, while Shazam is happening now.

Like they care. Have you forgotten Stryker from DOFP being around 15-20 years younger than he should have been according to Origins:Wolverine.

ares834
So... Rebooted.

Not at all. The original X-men films were rebooted but it seemed that Origins never happened. Not even in the old timeline.

Firefly218
Before DoFP, Origins was canon. Now that history was changed, it might or might not be canon. My guess is they'll reboot Wolverine's backstory, or at least mention how it's different from Origins.

roughrider
1973 onwards in the mutantverse will happen in a different way. But the 1980's is still where Gambit appeared. But since the next film will be in the 1980's (X-Men: Apocalypse), Gambit could be brought in, I guess.

ares834
As I said, I doubt Origins is even canon in the old timeline. As DP already mentioned, Striker's age doesn't work. Their were a couple other continuity problems as well but I digress...

Firefly218
Maybe you're right, I honestly have no f ucking idea

DARTH POWER
Stryker's age was the main continuity problem between Dofp and Origins. The other one was "where was Sabretooth" through all this. And is he going to come looking for Logan now?. Or Logan looking for him since they apparently haven't had that falling out in the new timeline?

Well the answer to both is no. Because they're just ignoring it. Lauren Shuller Donner told us to just forget both X3 and Origins:Wolverine. Clearly we can't completely forget X3 as the whole Jean becomes Phoenix saga was clearly referenced in both The Wolverine and DOFP. But we can forget Origins as there's the above contradictions which will clearly never get addressed.

Anyway Channing Tatum actually would be the right age for Gambit in the 80's but as we've seen with Stryker, they don't even care about that and it certainly wouldn't influence any of their decisions.

pym-ftw
Origins had one single reference but honestly it wasn't even really a call back to that movie; being the Logan operation. Logan according to Origins should have been in Vietnam in Dofp... i think you can safely say Fox is dumping it from existence.

On Topic i think Shazam's Child actor should be the Star of the movie. Though i think he should probably be like 15-16 in story so a 18-19yo actor wouldn't be the worst thing and use make-up and Cgi like a reverse Captain America 1 to age and buff him up. A padded suit wouldn't hurt either.

Then again MoS cgi was bad so maybe less Cgi in this the better.

Kazenji
MoS cgi was good except for that world engine part it was a cluster****.

pym-ftw
Please rewatch the Superman Zod fight part, it looks like a ps2 cut scene and not even a very good one. Shazam being made by new line really has me worried about that.

DARTH POWER
^ Why? Newline didn't make MOS. They made Blade Iirc.

Kazenji
Please rewatch the Superman Zod fight part, it looks like a ps2 cut scene and not even a very good one.

no expression

That had good CGI....when supes goes to destroy the world engine that had the worst.

DARTH POWER
I think Shazam will actually be more important to the future of DC movies than Batman V Superman.

Everyone knows B v S will be a huge hit, but what WB really need is to prove they can make a great/successful DC superhero movie that doesn't include Batman or Superman.

Firefly218
It all depends on the director DC hires. Spike Jonze. Or maybe some other talented unknown.

Golgo13
It all depends on the director DC hires. Spike Jonze. Or maybe some other talented unknown.

Not necessarily. Cap 2 had the Russo Brothers (You Me and Dupree) and it's considered one of the best super hero movies around. Top 10 for sure.

Firefly218
Yeah, because the Russo brothers were much better directors than we thought.

Director is by far the most influential position in a movie production

Golgo13
Yeah, because the Russo brothers were much better directors than we thought.

Director is by far the most influential position in a movie production

Yes, but the name itself doesn't always mean a movie is going to be bad. The Russo Brothers is a prime example. And don't get your hopes up on Spike Jonze. Never going to happen.

Firefly218
That's why I said "or maybe some talented unknown". The Russo Brothers were talented unknowns before Cap 2.

Golgo13
Pretty much every director that gets in Hollywood is somewhat talented. The Russo's haven't proven much before Cap 2, IMO.

Firefly218
No, but I'm sure they gave one hell of an interview

roughrider
The Russo Brothers impressed the hell out of me. Before the film came out I was wondering 'Why Them?' But it's probably also due to the great producing team led by Kevin Feige that is with every Marvel Studios film. It's like the production team on all the Harry Potter films; they switched out directors and maintained the same level of high quality.

I don't know if DC has that proven, consistent producing team that will be there for every film. Christopher Nolan has moved on, hasn't he? Who's the overseer-er - Zack Snyder? no

DARTH POWER
The Russo Brothers impressed the hell out of me.

thumb up

I don't know if DC has that proven, consistent producing team that will be there for every film. Christopher Nolan has moved on, hasn't he? Who's the overseer-er - Zack Snyder? no

Like I said, how Shazam turns out will be as important to the future of DC movies as how Batman V Superman turns out. Possibly more important.

Firefly218
Definitely not more important. The fact remains, if Bats v Supes is awesome, DC is on track. If bats v supes sucks, DC goes down the shithole.

If Shazam is successful, the most that'll do is give WB a little more confidence in more obscure DC properties. It won't have as huge of an impact on the DCU as bats v supes.

DARTH POWER
Thing is even if Batman V Superman is just OK, it's going to make a ton of money so unlikely to stop them carrying on with Batman, Superman and Justice League films.

If Shazam sucks or is just OK but struggles to make its money back then WB are just going to Halt on any plans involving a film without Batman and Superman.

Remember just a few years ago, Batman was doing Spectacular at the box office but Green Lantern flopped. The Result- Flash and Wonder Woman pre-JL solo films never happened. And Its taken 3 years to even get an announcement for a film not involving Batman or Superman.

pym-ftw
^ Why? Newline didn't make MOS. They made Blade Iirc. I meant because its an even smaller studio and will have a smaller budget. Originally posted by Firefly218
Definitely not more important. The fact remains, if Bats v Supes is awesome, DC is on track. If bats v supes sucks, DC goes down the shithole.

If Shazam is successful, the most that'll do is give WB a little more confidence in more obscure DC properties. It won't have as huge of an impact on the DCU as bats v supes. Don't listen to Campea, if BvS is Amazing then WB can sell JL but will that effect other properties? I don't think so.

Also Snyder isn't an Amazing director, i think you will be looking at a movie that can't possibly live up to its own unearned hype.

Firefly218
Whether Bats v Supes is successful or not doesn't have everything to do with money though. If the movie is bad quality, and gets poor fan reaction, it will put a serious damper on the prospects of the DCU.

Not to undermine the importance of Shazam, which is also really important.

pym-ftw
It needs consumer trust though & Mos was a miss imho. If BvS makes alot of money but sucks though who knows maybe it will become the new transformers.

Firefly218
^ thumb up

sorry can't quote

pym-ftw
really? There is 2 diffrent quote buttons, can you not see them?

Firefly218
Nope. I'm using a school computer, so it must be some sort of restriction by the admin

pym-ftw
Oh lol

Golgo13
Thing is even if Batman V Superman is just OK, it's going to make a ton of money so unlikely to stop them carrying on with Batman, Superman and Justice League films.

If Shazam sucks or is just OK but struggles to make its money back then WB are just going to Halt on any plans involving a film without Batman and Superman.

Remember just a few years ago, Batman was doing Spectacular at the box office but Green Lantern flopped. The Result- Flash and Wonder Woman pre-JL solo films never happened. And Its taken 3 years to even get an announcement for a film not involving Batman or Superman.

I don't think that will be a problem. Hercules has made 200 + M at the box office. Pretty good for a below average movie that wasn't even promoted well. The Rock can attract an audience. Plus it's a DC/Super hero property.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hercules2014.htm

DARTH POWER
I don't think that will be a problem. Hercules has made 200 + M at the box office. Pretty good for a below average movie that wasn't even promoted well. The Rock can attract an audience. Plus it's a DC/Super hero property.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hercules2014.htm

So with The Rock starring in a DC Property and decent marketing it can probably count on $300mill+WW. As long as they don't overspend on the budget like with GL that would be great.

But it does need to be a good movie too Imo. Because if it's well received (by fans and the GA- Screw critics) then that will really open the doors for DC Movies.

It needs consumer trust though & Mos was a miss imho.

If it has the kind of reaction MOS did(generally people either loved it or hated it) it will be fine to go forward.

BruceSkywalker
isn't the XXX Porn parody gonna be called Shizzum??? laughing laughing laughing

Golgo13
So with The Rock starring in a DC Property and decent marketing it can probably count on $300mill+WW. As long as they don't overspend on the budget like with GL that would be great.

But it does need to be a good movie too Imo. Because if it's well received (by fans and the GA- Screw critics) then that will really open the doors for DC Movies.

If it has the kind of reaction MOS did(generally people either loved it or hated it) it will be fine to go forward.

MOS was received pretty well. Almost made 300 M domestically and broke records WW in some areas. Sites like IMDB have it above average, which is pretty good.

Firefly218
I really really hope shazam isn't another bland shitfest like MoS. That would be disappointing.

I have high hopes though.

DARTH POWER
I really really hope shazam isn't another bland shitfest like MoS.

Get outta here wid dat s***

If Shazam's on MOS's level, DC will be back in the competition with the MCU.

Firefly218
Whatever, I know you loved MoS. Lets just agree to disagree.

Firefly218
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/03/new-line-chief-says-shazam-movie-will-have-a-fun-tone

Awesome. Looks like Shazam won't be following in the footsteps of MoS after all.

Golgo13
Get outta here wid dat s***

If Shazam's on MOS's level, DC will be back in the competition with the MCU.

thumb up

Golgo13
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/03/new-line-chief-says-shazam-movie-will-have-a-fun-tone

Awesome. Looks like Shazam won't be following in the footsteps of MoS after all.

Yeah, old news.

Firefly218
http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1274/1247/original.jpg

laughing

DARTH POWER
^ Lol That pic is pretty funny

pym-ftw
MOS was received pretty well. Almost made 300 M domestically and broke records WW in some areas. Sites like IMDB have it above average, which is pretty good. Mos did good business but it also has a 52/100 rating on rotten tomatos. I just don't have faith in Snyder but who knows Shazam could be good... kinda a weird guy to build his own universe around... i mean who is he gonna fight in the sequel?

Golgo13
Mos did good business but it also has a 52/100 rating on rotten tomatos. I just don't have faith in Snyder but who knows Shazam could be good... kinda a weird guy to build his own universe around... i mean who is he gonna fight in the sequel?

Yeah, it did subpar on the reviews, but I'm talking about general audience here. A ton of people are looking forward to BVS and liked MOS.

roughrider
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
isn't the XXX Porn parody gonna be called Shizzum??? laughing laughing laughing

Nah...the adult film companies operate a lot more corporate now. They would now give it the title of Shazam: A XXX Porn Parody. Not like the days when they could twist any title into something sexual (Pulp Fiction - Pump Friction; Batman - Batbabe/Splatman etc.) big grin

I think this is a very important project, because they need to show they can have a breakout character not involving Batman or Superman. And to show they can offer up a more fun tone while still remaining in the same shared universe.

DARTH POWER
Mos did good business but it also has a 52/100 rating on rotten tomatos.

Studios obviously welcome good critical reviews, but critics ratings aren't nearly as important as Fan ratings + box office + blu-ray/dvd sales.

Superman Returns for instance had great critical reception. But the studio really didn't give a crap because audiences weren't happy with it.

Spider-Man 3 did great box office, but with the poor fan reaction and disproportionate DVD sales the studio did realize they messed up there, so didn't push for a Spider-Man 4 in the same direction, and were happy to consider a complete reboot of an Immensely successful franchise.

MOS on the other hand had critics and a few fan voices shouting out really loud about what a bad movie it was, but overall the Studio was happy. Because the Box Office + DVD Sales + Successful merchandising + Overall General Audience reaction made it all worthwhile for them. They may think about improving on things that some people are shouting out about, but end of the day, if most their movies do as well with similar reactions, they will be a very happy studio.

I think this is a very important project, because they need to show they can have a breakout character not involving Batman or Superman. And to show they can offer up a more fun tone while still remaining in the same shared universe.

thumb up

Shazam will make or break the future of DC superheroes for the forseeable future IMHO. (With the exception of films involving Superman and Batman that is).

Newjak
I hope this movie does really well. Shazam has always been a favorite of mine.

roughrider
What the **** is with this latest media report that has Shazam now opening in 2019, instead of 2016? What the f**k?

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2014/10/15/ezra-miller-cast-in-upcoming-the-flash-movie/

Dwayne Johnson said Yes, so get going!

Seriously - the latest news report out of DC/Warners reads like more of the same hot air; announcements of movies to be made that never happen. I mean, who casts someone for a Flash movie (Ezra Miller) that doesn't actually come out for another four years?

I remember a few years ago when Justice League was announced to be coming out for 2015, and the Flash for 2016. DC fanboys & girls may not like to remember all the broken promises, but I keep track of them all.

DARTH POWER
I don't think JL for 2015 and Flash for 2016 were ever official announcements. They were more like unofficial plans put down the toilet after Green Lantern flopped. But this whole slate of films announced officially sounds like they're a lot more serious now and just going for it.

I'm sure they'll be some casualties along the way and certain not all of these films will make it. But at least they've made a proper long term plan. Lets just hope they stick it out this time.

As for casting people whose solo movies are not coming out for 4-5 years, you have to remember a lot of these guys are going to show up in character in BvS 18 months from now. JL at the latest 3 years from now.

But yeah Shazam in 2019 is a ridiculous wait. But I'm glad they're giving us a solo Wonder Woman movie before JL. That's kind of more important tbh.

Golgo13
Hot air? Not this time, Imo. Ever since Kevin took over as CEO, he is all in for the DCU properties. I've been saying this for a while and John Camper noted the very same thing a few days ago. It shows on the small screen and it seems the big screen as well. Just look at the director for Suicide Squad. Kevin mentioned he wanted the TOP talent working on these properties and David Ayer is talented. Plus they are looking for 4 A list stars.

It was also announced that WB will be spending 2 Billion a year to market these movies, so they are all in.

Golgo13
I don't think JL for 2015 and Flash for 2016 were ever official announcements. They were more like unofficial plans put down the toilet after Green Lantern flopped. But this whole slate of films announced officially sounds like they're a lot more serious now and just going for it.

I'm sure they'll be some casualties along the way and certain not all of these films will make it. But at least they've made a proper long term plan. Lets just hope they stick it out this time.

As for casting people whose solo movies are not coming out for 4-5 years, you have to remember a lot of these guys are going to show up in character in BvS 18 months from now. JL at the latest 3 years from now.

But yeah Shazam in 2019 is a ridiculous wait. But I'm glad they're giving us a solo Wonder Woman movie before JL. That's kind of more important tbh.

Supposedly the reason for the wait, is because SHAZAM will be included in the Justice League movies.

DARTH POWER

It was also announced that WB will be spending 2 Billion a year to market these movies, so they are all in.

$2Bill a year?! Wtf man? That's A Billion per film! That can't be right as each film would have to make like $2bill just to make it's money back. LOL

Golgo13
$2Bill a year?! Wtf man? That's A Billion per film! That can't be right as each film would have to make like $2bill just to make it's money back. LOL

Yup. Remember it's going to be 3 films a year. They just didn't announce batman and superman solo films.

Golgo13
Btw, I got that number from John Campea. I posted the YouTube video on page 174 in the other thread.

Golgo13
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/10/warner-bros-seeks-to-cut-costs-by-200-million-annually/

There is also that link. Wb is going to cut spending to help fund their TV and movie projects.

roughrider
Btw, I got that number from John Campea. I posted the YouTube video on page 174 in the other thread.

Well, goodness knows the media has never reported something that was factually untrue, right? roll eyes (sarcastic)

It's an old saying - 'Of course it's true. Know why? Because I saw it on TV.'

Come on - marketing costs for a tentpole film range from 50-100% of the film's production budget. How do you get to $2 billion a year in marketing for 2-3 films, unless they all have budgets in excess of $600 million?

Golgo13
Well, goodness knows the media has never reported something that was factually untrue, right? roll eyes (sarcastic)

It's an old saying - 'Of course it's true. Know why? Because I saw it on TV.'

Come on - marketing costs for a tentpole film range from 50-100% of the film's production budget. How do you get to $2 billion a year in marketing for 2-3 films, unless they all have budgets in excess of $600 million?

Uh, he got the info from the share holder MEETING WB had. Everything they got was from WB's mouth. Or Kevin's mouth.

What makes more sense is that they released the Harry Potter and Lego spin offs. I'm pretty sure WB meant ALL of those, INCLUDING the super hero movies.

roughrider
So it's not just for DC related films. That is a clarification.

Golgo13
They released news of 3 Lego movies and 3 Fantastic Beasts movies. So I'm assuming they meant all of those.

DARTH POWER
They released news of 3 Lego movies and 3 Fantastic Beasts movies. So I'm assuming they meant all of those.

That's still an average of no more than 4 films a year. Which means marketing costs of $500mill per film! So they won't make their money back on the majority of these projects.

Perhaps their plan is to invest in the franchise names over the next few years without making a profit.. As long as they realize that but have a plan which they follow through on.

Last thing I want is for them to spend $300-500 mill just marketing something unknown like Suicide Squad, which then ends up grossing $300-400mill in total, and as a result they pull the plug on all other Dc projects. Just seems they haven't learned from their mistakes of overspending on risky projects like Green Lantern which when it doesn't pay off sends Wb running for cover for the next 5 years.

Golgo13
That's still an average of no more than 4 films a year. Which means marketing costs of $500mill per film! So they won't make their money back on the majority of these projects.

Perhaps their plan is to invest in the franchise names over the next few years without making a profit.. As long as they realize that but have a plan which they follow through on.

Last thing I want is for them to spend $300-500 mill just marketing something unknown like Suicide Squad, which then ends up grossing $300-400mill in total, and as a result they pull the plug on all other Dc projects. Just seems they haven't learned from their mistakes of overspending on risky projects like Green Lantern which when it doesn't pay off sends Wb running for cover for the next 5 years.

Not sure, but WB has a history of playing it smart in terms of box office and spending. They have good marketing as well, so they are either going to do it or Campea got confused or misread something.

roughrider
It's the next film DC & Warners makes that has neither Superman nor Batman in it, that will determine how willing they are to make this expanded universe work. If they fail again like with Green Lantern, they will have to stick it out somehow.

DARTH POWER
It's the next film DC & Warners makes that has neither Superman nor Batman in it, that will determine how willing they are to make this expanded universe work. If they fail again like with Green Lantern, they will have to stick it out somehow.

thumb up

I've always said it's not Batman V Superman that's going to make or break their Shared Universe plans. We all know that will make money.

So all eyes on Suicide Squad. And the Wonder Woman solo movie. Although by then it will be too late to cancel the JL movie (nor would they want to if B v S makes big money).

So we have to assume that after this announcement, we will at the very least be getting the announced films for 2016 and 2017 up to and including JL part 1.

That is the great thing about this announcement, that we know we will at least get those first 4. They won't have time to panic after a flop and pull the plug for the next couple of movies because they will already be deep in production for the next few. And that's what WB needs for it's DC movies. A plan to just get on with, and not stopping for a few years.

After those few years, there's bound to be some franchises that work better than others, but they won't know until they try! That's how Marvel attained their success. Iron Man was a huge hit. But Incredible Hulk underperformed. But they carried on with their other projects, and didn't just pull the plug on everything that wasn't Iron Man.

Golgo13
I think a WW movie will make money no matter what. Like Thor numbers. Maybe even better.

DARTH POWER
I think a WW movie will make money no matter what. Like Thor numbers. Maybe even better.

Weren't you always arguing Wonder Woman was too much of a risk because female lead movies don't dominate at the box office?

Golgo13
Weren't you always arguing Wonder Woman was too much of a risk because female lead movies don't dominate at the box office?

They generally don't, but WW is something you have to do just right in order for it to succeed, IMO. And since Kevin isn't messing around (as he stated he wants top talent for these projects), I'm betting WW will be treated with respect in that regard.

Anything is a risk, TBH, but now more than ever, the audience is open to female leads and it's growing.

Firefly218
They generally don't, but WW is something you have to do just right in order for it to succeed, IMO. And since Kevin isn't messing around (as he stated he wants top talent for these projects), I'm betting WW will be treated with respect in that regard.

Anything is a risk, TBH, but now more than ever, the audience is open to female leads and it's growing.

A WW movie is hardly a risk, as she's the most iconic female character of ALL TIME. Even if the movie is mediocre, it's pretty much guaranteed Thor numbers.

And since when have audiences had a problem with female led movies? Maybe in the 1940s.

Golgo13
A WW movie is hardly a risk, as she's the most iconic female character of ALL TIME. Even if the movie is mediocre, it's pretty much guaranteed Thor numbers.

And since when have audiences had a problem with female led movies? Maybe in the 1940s.

Of course it can be a risk. Superman is more well known and his last movie before MOS didn't do too well. Like I said, it all depends on how they do it.

Audiences don't necessarily have a problem with lead females, but they don't make as much money as males.

Golgo13
James Wan to direct SHAZAM?

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/10/22/could-james-wan-be-directing-shazam/

DARTH POWER

Audiences don't necessarily have a problem with lead females, but they don't make as much money as males.

Tell that to Jennifer Lawrence.

Golgo13
Tell that to Jennifer Lawrence.

I'm talking in general here.

DARTH POWER
I'm talking in general here.

In general there isn't many Female led hero movies. So there's no real yard stick for that.

But fact that Hunger Games is such a huge franchise should say it all.

The potential for female lead hero movies is pretty much the same as the potential for male lead ones IMHO. It all really depends on the script, story and direction.

I mean just look at a few months ago when Scarlett Johanson's superhero type movie- Lucy opened same week as The Rock's Hercules movie and absolutely crushed it. Or look at Kill Bill, or look at what a huge following Buffy the Vampire Slayer had.

Of course there's been big flops as well (Catwoman) but clearly it's like everything else. Make a good movie, market it well, and people will go watch it. Make a bad movie with bad word of mouth, and people won't watch it.

Golgo13
Lucy was marketed better than Herc, though. And her coming from Cap 3 didn't hurt either. I'm just saying if you take 5 of the most profitable males vs 5 of the most profitable females, I think males would come out on top.

DARTH POWER
I'm just saying if you take 5 of the most profitable males vs 5 of the most profitable females, I think males would come out on top.

That's obviously true.

But like I said, it's a bit of a fake indicator considering there's like 100 times more male lead heroes than female lead ones.

Golgo13
Seeing as the era of the star is over, I think this will give more female leads a chance and maybe dominate the box office. But Hollywood might be stuck in its old ways.

Firefly218
In general there isn't many Female led hero movies. So there's no real yard stick for that.

But fact that Hunger Games is such a huge franchise should say it all.

The potential for female lead hero movies is pretty much the same as the potential for male lead ones IMHO. It all really depends on the script, story and direction.

I mean just look at a few months ago when Scarlett Johanson's superhero type movie- Lucy opened same week as The Rock's Hercules movie and absolutely crushed it. Or look at Kill Bill, or look at what a huge following Buffy the Vampire Slayer had.

Of course there's been big flops as well (Catwoman) but clearly it's like everything else. Make a good movie, market it well, and people will go watch it. Make a bad movie with bad word of mouth, and people won't watch it.

thumb up

Female led movies have same potential as male led movies

Golgo13
It depends on the property, tbh. We've had female leads bomb as well.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>