Marvel to reboot continuity?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Endless Mike
http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/content/marvel-comics-reboot-rumored-2015-avengers-time-runs-out-event

I really hope this isn't true. One of the things I like about Marvel over DC is that they don't do reboots.

Kazenji
Hope it'll only affect the Hickman written books.

riv6672
Wait and see, wait and see...

Kazenji
Been thinking about this if it happens

how are they going to re-introduce all the early stuff with Namor, Captain America & Invaders etc or are they waiting on WW3 to happen.

Stoic
Time should run out on this idea. Like WTF, has anyone been reading the sh!t that's being put up by the DC camp? The only thing that keeps me going back for more are only a couple books at this point. Red Hood and the Outlaws was complete trash this week. The Bat family has too many books, Wonder Woman is okay, but the art suck balls, the Green Latern books are semi interesting, and lack the punch that they had just 6 months ago. The rest of the books just bored me to the point that I nearly had to staple my ass to the seat to read them. I really don't think that Marvel needs to go that route. Instead they should focus on Starbrand, Angela, Blue Marvel, and Hyperion in terms of putting them in the spotlight a little more. They have great things going on with Thanos and his Black Order. The Guardian's of the Galaxy are rocking IMO, and never have I enjoyed the title more. Instead what they plan on doing is reintroducing Charlie 27, and his crew of losers, while this comic is by far more interesting because it deal with present 616 events. It really can't even be said that they lack in power with Angela along, but it should instead be noted that they have plenty of finesse.

Rebooting is a horrible idea. Look at how long it's actually taking DC to flesh out or even present characters that people are dying to read about like Majestic instead they go and put out too much Batman, and his clones. I could probably go on and on about it, but you guys get the point.

Galan007
According to Franklin, the incursions--the end of ALL--will continue, and cannot be stopped(regardless of the attempts otherwise):
http://i.imgur.com/d8yloDs.jpg

...And given that Frank has already lived through/witnessed these events firsthand, his word is pretty irrefutable at this point:
http://i.imgur.com/GEZVbJO.jpg

So yeah, it *seems* like Marvel is setting the stage for a reboot of sorts. /shrug

riv6672
Originally posted by Kazenji
Been thinking about this if it happens

how are they going to re-introduce all the early stuff with Namor, Captain America & Invaders etc or are they waiting on WW3 to happen.
Well, Namor's long lived, it wouldnt matter.
Cap will just have been on ice longer.
More curious as to Punisher. He has a fixed time point thats already wearing thin. Discussed an update at another site; make him a Desert Storm vet, put him in his mid to late 40s now.

Kazenji
Originally posted by riv6672

More curious as to Punisher. He has a fixed time point thats already wearing thin. Discussed an update at another site; make him a Desert Storm vet, put him in his mid to late 40s now.

I know they were going to use that idea for the Punisher Movie with Thomas Jane.

riv6672
They should have. The FBI thing was meh.
I'm pretty sure they used it for War Zone. He was shown in Marine dress uniform when his file was seen, no mention of Vietnam was made, but he was obviously a combat vet...
Very low key and well handled.

krisblaze
Rebooting's a bad idea if you ask me.

Their problem is getting new readers but the fact that they can't stick with something for more a year or two. After Siege we were supposed to get the Heroic Age, which I thought was going to bring things back a bit closer to the oldschool, but then it made way for Marvel NOW, which was arguably the same thing? Only everybody needed yet another uniform upgrade and roster shuffle.

Insane Titan
Originally posted by Galan007
According to Franklin, the incursions--the end of ALL--will continue, and cannot be stopped(regardless of the attempts otherwise):
http://i.imgur.com/d8yloDs.jpg

...And given that Frank has already lived through/witnessed these events firsthand, his word is pretty irrefutable at this point:
http://i.imgur.com/GEZVbJO.jpg

So yeah, it *seems* like Marvel is setting the stage for a reboot of sorts. /shrug do you think thos somehow ties in to the upcoming Thanos mini where he talks about time ending after he did some exploring via the time gem

riv6672
Very good observation.

Krisblaze mentioned getting back to old school.
I've been saying that for years. Streamline the number of books, downplay the constant government meddling.
Stop having heroes spend 90% of their time fighting other heroes.

The MU's always been grittier than DC, but it shouldnt be dark. Get back to good guys doing good things and bad guys with nefarious plots chewing the scenery in the mighty Marvel manner.
Have some fun, dammit.

Kazenji
Marvel U can still be dark, Just depends on the character.

riv6672
Of course it can and of course it does. But not the whole line.
Dark does not equal better.

Kazenji
I agree, I don't want to see the F4 go down the dark & gritty route.

riv6672
When's the last time the Avengers were on David Letterman, or Spidey had to stick a paper bag on his head, or Ben Grimm got pied by the Yancy street Gang, Luke Cage beat up a soda machine, or a couple of heroes randomly teamed up to stop a an odd three name villain (Paste Pot Pete, Fin Fang Foom...)?
Do mooks rob banks at Marvel any more???

Stoic
Wouldn't a reboot throw a wrench into the Captain America getting too old to carry the shield idea? They could have gone a different way with that whole thing like having him abducted, and given a dose of ionic energy like Simon.

riv6672
confused

riv6672
The chances of this happening in a Marvel comic nowadays...http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w344/riv6672/image_zps4a585a80.jpg
...are about the same as the chances of me growing a full head of hair.

leonidas
thumb up

krisblaze
Meh, I don't think the problem is lack of levity.

The 'funny' books are worse than the serious ones.

They need consistency. Writers need to be tied to their books for longer periods of time, not that shit where a writer has a book for 4-5 issues and then another one jumps in. They also need more authors with vision and plots that can work within the context of their one book. Not just short-stories and wild crossovers.

Consider Aaron's Thor. It's been good, but now we get this nonsense with Angela suddenly being jammed into the Marvel continuity.

riv6672
Meh, i think its a big part of the problem. stick out tongue

Maybe one the reasons creative teams dont stick around is the inability to have fun writing the characters. Marvel has been dictating the overall picture to a huge degree for years now.
Characters are either recovering from the last cross over or having their storylines derailed by the current one.

A few years back, Ms. Marvel got her own book. I can go check, bur i swear 90% of the first year or more, every issue was a tie in to an event.

Simplify. Have fun. Relax. Reboot? Much as i hate to say it, it might help.

krisblaze
Almost every book is chock full of puns even if it is a 'serious' title.

I remember JMS' run on Thor was riddled with the stuff. One issue every 2 months and 8 of 20 pages is him or Volstagg having dinner with some hick.

Granted it's one of the things that made GoTG great but there's a time and place for it.

A book doesn't have to be a "funny" book for the writer to enjoy writing him, but it does need to be free of editorial meddling. I think that's more important than the tone of the book.

riv6672
You arent getting my meaning, and, like in the Elite thread i'm not in the mood to go in circles with you.
Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

krisblaze
I'm sorry if you're having a bad day.

It'll come around smile

riv6672
My day is fine, i'm getting ready for a birthday party, hence not having the inclination to circle jerk.
I can bake a cake correctly or clarify myself over and over to you. I cant do both.

JayDaDon
It feels like Marvel has had ADD lately, always chasing the next big thing, when one crazy idea ends its right on to the next one. No consistency anymore.

krisblaze
Originally posted by JayDaDon
It feels like Marvel has had ADD lately, always chasing the next big thing, when one crazy idea ends its right on to the next one. No consistency anymore.

You mean ADHD? IF they had ADD then they would be VERY focused on the one story stick out tongue

StyleTime
No, JayDaDon was pretty accurate. ADD is still characterized by a lack of focus, but without the hyperactivity of ADHD.

Digi
I think I picked a great time to get out of (mainstream) comics, right around when Flashpoint hit. There are always good stories, good writers, etc., but I'm too old-fashioned. Seeing the characters whose histories I've followed get swallowed up and reinvented for 16-21 year olds is disheartening.

I'm hoping this isn't true. But if it is, well, it's been fun, but it basically closes the door on my possible return to collecting.

Bentley
At least Quan will stick true to his word and stop hyping Marvel now that they just copy DC thumb up

riv6672
Very well put.
While i'd be antsy at the idea of a reboot (it seems like such a DC thing to do), if it streamlined the MU, got things back to basics, and they stick with it, i wouldnt be opposed.

krisblaze
Originally posted by StyleTime
No, JayDaDon was pretty accurate. ADD is still characterized by a lack of focus, but without the hyperactivity of ADHD.

ADD's can have a hard time focusing, but they also have tendencies to super-focus on things smile

ADHD on the other hand has no 'super-focus' mode, hence why I thought that was a better analogy.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Bentley
At least Quan will stick true to his word and stop hyping Marvel now that they just copy DC thumb up Marvel is vastly more successful and copying dc would be rebooting every thirty or so years so this isn't accurate.

Cosmic_Beings
This isn't going to end well if it occurs given all of the awful decisions Marvel has been making (Changing genders and races, killing off LT and Uatu, making Wolverine a PBR drinker).

Wei Phoenix
Living Tribunal is dead?

Bentley
Originally posted by quanchi112
Marvel is vastly more successful and copying dc would be rebooting every thirty or so years so this isn't accurate.

It seems you conveniently forgot about Heroes Reborn shifty

I guess your argument is that Marvel can out-DC DC.

quanchi112

Bentley

quanchi112
Originally posted by Bentley
Marvel is all about the money thumb up

DC still dominates the animated series for some weird reason. I think it's irrelevant for the most part, but I'm actually surprised that it is the case. Businesses are usually about the money. If you aren't about the money you go out of business.

Q99
There's, like, no chance of this being true. They're on top right now. Their model is performing well. New characters are drawing new readers, old ones are successful as well.

One limited area could happen, sure, but Marvel is not going to do a continuity reboot.

Originally posted by krisblaze
Rebooting's a bad idea if you ask me.

Their problem is getting new readers but the fact that they can't stick with something for more a year or two. After Siege we were supposed to get the Heroic Age, which I thought was going to bring things back a bit closer to the oldschool, but then it made way for Marvel NOW, which was arguably the same thing? Only everybody needed yet another uniform upgrade and roster shuffle.

That's not a problem, that's the plan- You have a 2-year status quo, then something fresh which grows from it.

And it has grown sales. It helped turned Avengers from a single book to a franchise that rivals X-men (yes, even before the Avengers movie).

Writers are also informed of the events well in advance, and thus have time to plan it into their books *or* even opt out (like Captain Marvel Carol's author recently noted. She was worried about the next event, asked Bendis for advice, he says, "Why don't you just tell them you don't want to?", she asked editorial, and no fuss, Carol was out of the new event. Which I *think* was Original Sin).

It makes for a coherent approach with few interruptions that the writer isn't fully prepared for.

Sure you're not thinking of DC? ^^ They're the ones having trouble with writer retentiion.

Daredevil, Loki, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Young Avengers... lotta fun to be had there! And their writer retention is solid. They end books and start new ones fairly often, but the writers almost always go on to new projects when that happens.

Like, Kieron Gillen does Journey into Mystery, finishes it, then does Young Avengers, finishes it, then Loki: Agent of Asgard.

Kelly Sue DeConnick's been on Captain Marvel for 2 years with no end in sight. Mark Waid on Daredevil for just as long, plus he's getting new books...

Q99
What if it's a time skip? Which'd also be something they've never done but would make more sense.

Because they simply are not going to launch a half-dozen books billed as ongoings (mostly with female leads, no less) part of a year before a reboot.

-Pr-
I'm honestly of the opinion that several marvel properties would benefit from a reboot. the problem is that the universe is so diverse that not every property needs it, and you can't half-ass it.

that, and I wouldn't trust them to do right the stuff that needs rebooting in the first place.

I can't see them doing a reboot, tbh.

Endless Mike
Funny thing is, I was curious as to what the first Marvel event/crossover was, so I looked up a list of Marvel events on Wikipedia (turns out the first one was a Namor vs. Original Human Torch battle in the 40s) and then I saw the one at the end of the list hinting at a reboot, I was like WTF, so I clicked the source link, then came here, found there was no thread about it, and made one.

Golgo13
Marvel will not reboot, but relaunch like they always do. stick out tongue

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by Q99
What if it's a time skip? Which'd also be something they've never done but would make more sense.

Because they simply are not going to launch a half-dozen books billed as ongoings (mostly with female leads, no less) part of a year before a reboot.

That could be it.

I'd be up for a real change in everyone ages across the board, instead of the weirdness of some getting older and others staying the same age for decades.

riv6672
A time skip'd be...interesting.

pym-ftw
I'd seperate the mutants from the standard universe. They have never fit the standard universe.

krisblaze
Originally posted by pym-ftw
I'd seperate the mutants from the standard universe. They have never fit the standard universe.

Yeah, they should've been separated way back. Then Morrison could've carried through with his vision, instead of this ****ing M-day business.

Q99
Originally posted by -Pr-
I'm honestly of the opinion that several marvel properties would benefit from a reboot. the problem is that the universe is so diverse that not every property needs it, and you can't half-ass it.

that, and I wouldn't trust them to do right the stuff that needs rebooting in the first place.

I can't see them doing a reboot, tbh.

Spider-man can benefit, but what else?

X-men *is* the soap opera. Rebooting a soap opera is... incredibly hard. It's all those interpersonal interactions that make it work. So not that. Avengers is doing well, so I doubt that. Space stuff with Guardians seems to be doing well enough...

riv6672

Originally posted by krisblaze
Yeah, they should've been separated way back. Then Morrison could've carried through with his vision, instead of this ****ing M-day business.

Not trying to be a dillweed but, it took me a second to realize why i found this exchange funny.
The MU mutants have always been a device for exploring racial themes; you two want to segregate them. laughing out loud

pym-ftw
The fact that everyone hates mutants but have no problem with any other super powerrd beings have always bugged me.

Also where the fuq are the avengers when the sentinels take over?

krisblaze
Shi- we've been outed!

When you put it that way then in a sense the only way they can keep the minority-thing going is by constanly genociding them....

God Digi would love that...

JayDaDon
I would REALLY be interested in seeing a canon time jump. Who knows how long it would last but it could be a fun ride.

Tzeentch
The fact that everyone hates mutants but have no problem with any other super powerrd beings have always bugged me.

Word. I have never understood that.

JayDaDon
I liked the allusions after Civil war of the general populace painting all supers(mutant or otherwise) with the same brush. That could have gone to some interesting places.

riv6672
That sort of stuff never happens in MU Canada....

SamZED
Aging Spider-man is the worst possible decision they could make. Fans won't like it. He's destined to be in his 20s forever.

Lek Kuen
Shut up Sam. Imagine all the new feats when they actually apply all that experience, training, and smarts in real way!

Deadline
Originally posted by riv6672

The frankencastle arc was supposed to have made him younger. I'm not sure if writers are ignoring it.

I liked the allusions after Civil war of the general populace painting all supers(mutant or otherwise) with the same brush. That could have gone to some interesting places.

That makes sense, its strange how in the MU people split hairs between mutants and superhumans.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.