Interesting Names/Name Trends

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Emperordmb
This is a thread where I will be bringing up interesting names and trends with names in the SW universe.

Emperordmb
First naming trend, the nightbrother names...

So far we only know the names of four nightbrothers, but all of them share a very animalistic and quite violent and bloody trend in their names.

So far we have Maul, Savage, Feral, and Viscus.
Maul- verb
(of an animal) wound (a person or animal) by scratching and tearing: the herdsmen were mauled by lions.

Savage- adjective
(of an animal or force of nature) fierce, violent, and uncontrolled: tales of a savage beast | a week of savage storms.

Feral- adjective
(esp. of an animal) in a wild state, esp. after escape from captivity or domestication: a feral cat.

Viscus- noun
an internal organ in the main cavities of the body, esp. those in the abdomen, e.g., the intestines.

So yeah... Nightbrother names! Would not be surprised if the next one we were introduced to was named "Rabid"

Emperordmb
Next naming trend is for the Sith. The most common thing used in a Sith name aside from the title of Darth is the root "mal."

There are four legitimate Sith names with "mal" at the beginning; Darth Malak, Darth Malgus, Darth Maladi, and Darth Maleval. And two fake Sith names in the mythos had "mal" heading them off as well; Darth Malitiae and Darth Malus. Even in my fanfic I am currently working on, there is a character named Darth Malvot.

The funny thing about that is that the latin root "mal" means bad. So essentially these Sith's names mean "Dark Bad Guy"... how cliche.

Emperordmb
There is another name trend among Sith, this one being less popular, but still noticeable. A few names of Sith contain "Teneb" in them.

We have two birth names, Tenebrae and Teneb Kel, and one Sith name, Darth Tenebrous.

"Teneb" is a root that seems to be in words related to shadow and darkness, with "Tenebrae" being latin for shadows and darkness, and "Tenebrous" meaning dark, shadowy or obscure. So basically we have some Sith who follow the Dark Side of the Force that were seemingly named after darkness and shadows. Also pretty cliche.

Emperordmb
Now as you all know, at the end of the Sith Inquisitor storyline in SWTOR, you get one of three names.

If you follow the Dark Side path, your character is given the name "Nox," if you follow the Light Side, your character is given the name "Imperius," and if you stay neutral, your character is given the name "Occulus."

What I find interesting is that all three of these names seem to be spells in Harry Potter, with "Nox" being Nox, "Imperius" being the Imperius Curse, and "Occulus" being Occulus reparo. I find this interesting given that these are all spells in Harry Potter, and the Sith Inquisitor seems to be a mage class fighter, so being named after spells would make sense.

Not really sure if this was intentional, but it does seem a bit suspicious.

Emperordmb
Next up is the name of the Duchess of Mandalore, Satine. I find a very interesting possible connection going on here.

I watched Moulin Rouge in a film class at school, and the love interest's name is Satine. Basically, a Duke is trying to court Satine, but she falls in love with Ewan McGreggor's character and eventually dies in his arms.

In TCW, the character Satine is a Duchess, a female duke, and falls in love with Obi-wan, who was played by Ewan McGreggor in the Prequel Trilogy, and eventually she dies in his arms.

Noticing a connection here? As with the last one, not sure if this was intentional, but it does seem suspicious.

Nalaniel
I didn't know the last two things. Awesome thread. big grin

Q99
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Next naming trend is for the Sith. The most common thing used in a Sith name aside from the title of Darth is the root "mal."

There are four legitimate Sith names with "mal" at the beginning; Darth Malak, Darth Malgus, Darth Maladi, and Darth Maleval. And two fake Sith names in the mythos had "mal" heading them off as well; Darth Malitiae and Darth Malus. Even in my fanfic I am currently working on, there is a character named Darth Malvot.

The funny thing about that is that the latin root "mal" means bad. So essentially these Sith's names mean "Dark Bad Guy"... how cliche.

Maladi and Maleval are both based on words with Mal with a root, so no surprise there, what's sort of interesting is Malgus and Malak aren't words.

I think it's more a step up above those- Both the Inquisitor's name and HP are using latin/pseudo latin names.

Nox means Night (see your comments on darkness), Imperius would have to do with commanding, and Occulus watching.

Nalaniel
Oculus is Latin and means eye.

Ace Hambone
Not really sure if this was intentional, but it does seem a bit suspicious.

It's no coincidence. The SWTOR, Sith and Nightbrother naming conventions you describe share the same style as Harry Potter (MALfoy, anyone?) - using Latin roots or obscure English words whose meanings relate to the character, object, spell or whatever.

Maybe they are trying to help prepare kids for their SATs?

Ace Hambone
A few more nightbrother tidbits...

Savage used as a verb is also a synonym for maul, so these two brothers have names which mean the same thing.

Savage and feral are also synonyms, so Savage's name is synonymous with BOTH of his brother's names, although their names mean different things (albeit all three are thematically related).

Viscus is also related to savage and maul in that someone who has been mauled or savaged is quite likely to have his or her viscera damaged (or worse).

And thanks for teaching me a new word! I did not know that viscus was the singular form of viscera - It never occurred to me that viscera even had a singular form!

I also find it interesting that they gave Savage a French pronunciation. Were they trying to class him up, or give a nod to the French origin of his name. (Maul is also French derived.)

Ace Hambone
Nice catch with the Moulin Rouge reference. The TCW writers referenced a lot of movies, though the ones I've noticed have all been pretty obvious and all were related to Japanese cinema. Godzilla, Seven Samurai, Rashomon (I think), and another Kurosawa or two whose names escape me. I haven't caught one as clever as the Satine reference, but I'll bet there are many more out there. What others have people noticed?

Speaking of Rashomon, King of the Hill did an awesome tribute Rashomon tribute episode.

Emperordmb
Thank you Ace Hambone. It's nice to know somebody is finding this thread interesting and is providing their own personal insight big grin

Sinious
It's nice to know somebody is finding this thread interesting and is providing their own personal insight big grin

I find it interesting too...

Nalaniel
Originally posted by Sinious
I find it interesting too...

And what about me? I've been totally ignored! sad

Sinious
Originally posted by Nalaniel
And what about me? I've been totally ignored! sad

He is ignoring you for being rude to me. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fated Xtasy
Nice thread emperor, very nice. smile

Emperordmb
Thank you all my droogies.

Lord Lucien
To be fair to Malak, that is an actual name. Means 'angel' in Hebrew. He's Darth Angel.

Next up is the name of the Duchess of Mandalore, Satine. I find a very interesting possible connection going on here.

I watched Moulin Rouge in a film class at school, and the love interest's name is Satine. Basically, a Duke is trying to court Satine, but she falls in love with Ewan McGreggor's character and eventually dies in his arms.

In TCW, the character Satine is a Duchess, a female duke, and falls in love with Obi-wan, who was played by Ewan McGreggor in the Prequel Trilogy, and eventually she dies in his arms.

Noticing a connection here? As with the last one, not sure if this was intentional, but it does seem suspicious. That's actually kind of cute, I hope it was intentional.

DarthAnt66
Your cute.

DarthAnt66
"From the Films
Darth Plagueis (plague)
Darth Maul (maul)
Darth Sidious (insidious)
Darth Tyranus (tyranny)
Darth Vader (invader)

From the Expanded Universe
Darth Bandon (abandon)
Darth Bane (bane)
Darth Cognus (cognizance)
Darth Desolous (desolate)
Darth Karnage (carnage)
Darth Kruhl (cruel)
Darth Maladi (malady)
Darth Malak (malice)
Darth Maleval (malevolent)
Darth Millennial (millennial)
Darth Nihilus (nihilist, annihilate)
Darth Nihl (nill, nihilist)
Darth Revan (revenant, revanche)
Darth Rivan (rivan)
Darth Ruin (ruin)
Darth Ruyn (ruin)
Darth Sion (scion)
Darth Stryfe (strife)
Darth Talon (talon)
Darth Tenebrous (tenebrous)
Darth Traya (betrayer)
Darth Vectivus (invective)
Darth Wyyrlok (warlock)"
--Leland Chee, Keeper of the Holocron

Emperordmb
Aww no Zannah on that list sad But she has the best name meaning of all the Sith.

Lord Lucien
Woah woah, are you saying that 'Maul'... means 'maul'?!

You've got to be f*cking kidding me.

Ace Hambone
Darth Krul...

Ace Hambone
Emperordmb, I am a much bigger word nerd than I am a Star Wars geek, so thank YOU for starting the thread.

Emperordmb
You are most certainly welcome big grin

Fated Xtasy
I think i found an interesting one.

Meetra Surik. Surik is actually a sword considered to belong to the island of timor. Considered sacred, it was a weapon with supernatural powers, though the strength of the those powers depended on the person that wielded it - in Meetra's case her power depended on the followers she obtained/had. another very interesting thing is that this entire explanation that I've given could also be attributed to the rare lightsaber crystal you find in KoTOR 2.

Also i might get a bunch of "No shit dumbass' but Atris = Taris and Artis for those newbs that didn't know and Canderous's last Name means "Rank, order, Class" in latin big grin

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
I think i found an interesting one.

Meetra Surik. Surik is actually a sword considered to belong to the island of timor. Considered sacred, it was a weapon with supernatural powers, though the strength of the those powers depended on the person that wielded it - in Meetra's case her power depended on the followers she obtained/had. another very interesting thing is that this entire explanation that I've given could also be attributed to the rare lightsaber crystal you find in KoTOR 2.

Also i might get a bunch of "No shit dumbass' but Atris = Taris and Artis for those newbs that didn't know and Canderous's last Name means "Rank, order, Class" in latin big grin
Interesting find Xtasy. I maintain that Surik is a cool last name, but Meetra just sounds ****ing dumb.

Fated Xtasy
Interesting find Xtasy. I maintain that Surik is a cool last name, but Meetra just sounds ****ing dumb.

Thank you! and lol it is but she's stuck with it lmao

Ace Hambone
Meetra sounds very South Asian, so perhaps someone thought it would pair well with Surik.

Buddhist tradition has a Bodhisattva named Maitreya who will one day appear to teach the true Dharma at a time when it has been forgotten. Bodhisattvas are persons who achieve enlightenment but postpone going to Nirvana in order to assist and teach others and spread enlightenment.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.