Character potential

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carver9
Which character has a lot of potential but writers doesn't show it via fights and fts?

Example...I think Wonderman should be written in the elite tier but they rarely if ever do that for the character.

-Pr-
Cyclops, Colossus, Red Tornado, Kimiyo Hoshi.

Bentley
Wolverine.

/Thread.

Shabazz916
hulk... well in movies lol.. otherwise magneto

SamZED
Raven.

Inhuman
Some Elders of the universe (champion, Runner, etc)

RealPizzaBoy
Hands down Superman 1 Million. always depowered in his stories stated to potentially be an undefeated god.

Xplosive
Apocalypse... no contest. Ok, the last few years he is better.

riv6672
Originally posted by Shabazz916
magneto
How has Magneto not been written to full potential?
He's been a major player in the MU for years.

Man-Thing is someone i'd choose.
Considering how Swampthing's been handled at DC over the years, Marvel could do better. Nexus of Realities. Strong silent type main character. Lot of potential there. He'd need a good supporting cast...

DarkSaint85
The Spot

SamZED
^ Good one. He should be a beast.

DarkSaint85
Also, Ares.

Insane Titan
Mephisto

golem370
Kurse by branching against other marvel heros Juggernaut with a smarter user aka Loki

Helix

pym-ftw
Thor.
Pym
Man-Thing & Living Mummy
wrecking crew
Hazmat

krisblaze
Ares isn't written to his full potential? He practically beat Mikaboshi single-handedly!

Iceman is not just written poorly but they keep retarding his development. People are being amazed at lesser feats now, when he was accomplishing far greater things in say Inferno or pre-Legion Quest.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by carver9
Which character has a lot of potential but writers doesn't show it via fights and fts?

Wonder Woman.

She's got a better reputation now as a fighter but ...

Regarding feats, it sure would be nice if the thought ever occurred to DC staff to have her do something solo and amazing. The producers of the animated films Superman/Batman Apocalypse and Justice League War ALMOST delivered on what fans have been looking for these many years ...

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by krisblaze
Ares isn't written to his full potential? He practically beat Mikaboshi single-handedly!

Iceman is not just written poorly but they keep retarding his development. People are being amazed at lesser feats now, when he was accomplishing far greater things in say Inferno or pre-Legion Quest.

Then when he went into the Avengers, it went downhill from there.

Bentley
Originally posted by DarkSaint85

Are you talking about Sentry? 'cause it fits.

krisblaze

Ares, Noh-Varr, Sentry....hell, he even had a hand in ****ing up Toxin's story.

Bendis is a god damn wrecking ball. Don't let that kid play with your toys stick out tongue

golem370
Terrax

maxivitopowe
Vulcan
Shaw
Absorbing Man
Hazmat
Blue Marvel
Jubilee
Pixie
Graviton
Spiderman
Scorn
Blue Beetle

eaebiakuya
Martian Manhunter, Silver Surfer, Thor.

LordofBrooklyn
Captain Marvel

Monica Rambeau

Nova

Cable

Stoic
The Starbrand, if any character needs a spotlight it's him. I think that it's about time to give this guy his own book. If Quasar could get his own book title the Starbrand should have one as well.

Hyperion has been around for a while as well, and has failed to be anything more than an after thought.

I'd actually like to see the following characters on a team.

Blue Marvel - Leader
Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)
Hyperion
Beta Ray Bill
Monica Rambeau
Starbrand
Nova

These are some really good characters that have been placed on the sidelines, and have a lot of potential.

zopzop
Originally posted by golem370
Terrax
Terrax is fine. His only humiliating loss was to Ganymede.
Originally posted by Stoic
The Starbrand
Won't happen till Hickman is off the Avengers, which I hear is happening in less than a year or so. And even then, Marvel doesn't respect the NU or it's characters so don't expect much to happen with them.
Originally posted by Inhuman
Some Elders of the universe (champion, Runner, etc)
Yup. They've been trashed by Marvel.

SamZED
Ares, Noh-Varr, Sentry....hell, he even had a hand in ****ing up Toxin's story.

Bendis is a god damn wrecking ball. Don't let that kid play with your toys stick out tongue So true. He's ruined my new favorite super villain mr. Negative by having Hawkeye elbow him on his ass. The same guy who singlehandedly owned Spider-man, anti-Venom and Dormammu-possessed Hood. He was not seen ever since...

Bentley
Originally posted by SamZED
So true. He's ruined my new favorite super villain mr. Negative by having Hawkeye elbow him on his ass. The same guy who singlehandedly owned Spider-man, anti-Venom and Dormammu-possessed Hood. He was not seen ever since...

He probably died from the effects of Lord Clint's elbow.

byrdgang21
Skaar

Newjak
Current Juggernaut, Marvel Ares

8swords
spiderman, he has hidden upgrades that no writer exploit.

Supermutant
Electro

golem370
Zzzax

Raisen
Silver Surfer
Terrax
Electro
Wonder Man
Thing (just left by the wayside regarding improvements)
Ghost Rider

I can't believe people said Thor. Dude has too many deus ex machina as is and IMO is shown to fight people he has no business fighting.

riv6672
I agree with you and supermutant on Electro. He's an example of the person holding back the power set.

As to Thor, you do realize that no matter a character's power level comics is about fighting bigger stronger guys and winning, right? How entertaining is it to read a character stomping every fight?
Getting off soap box now.

DarkSaint85
Black Panther.

I want to see the effects of his King of the Dead upgrade.

Raisen
Originally posted by riv6672
I agree with you and supermutant on Electro. He's an example of the person holding back the power set.

As to Thor, you do realize that no matter a character's power level comics is about fighting bigger stronger guys and winning, right? How entertaining is it to read a character stomping every fight?
Getting off soap box now.

i really tried to be a thor fan. the fear itself arc, gorr arc, fighting galactus, crappy context behind killing void etc just killed it for me
he's treated how superman is except marvel actually let's get thor chumped once in a while. but that's just because marvel. doesn't do business the same way dc does.

riv6672
Then he's NOT treated like Superman? laughing out loud

Raisen
Originally posted by riv6672
Then he's NOT treated like Superman? laughing out loud

he is marvel's superman

riv6672
I know what you meant, you just seemed contradictory.wink

Back on topic: the Wasp, Janet version. She could be a beast if written correctly. A sexy fashionista beast...

krisblaze
Is that how she's being written in Remender's uncanny avengers?

Loved that whole inner monologue where she's talking about 'saving the day and getting the guy'.

Black Panther.

I want to see the effects of his King of the Dead upgrade.

Whaaaaat? Black Panther's been getting so much exposure, and he's always destroying people way out of his paygrade.

I feel he's one of the 'human' heroes who has dodged the most bullets in term of poor storylines and jobbing.

DarkSaint85
Is that how she's being written in Remender's uncanny avengers?

Loved that whole inner monologue where she's talking about 'saving the day and getting the guy'.

Whaaaaat? Black Panther's been getting so much exposure, and he's always destroying people way out of his paygrade.

I feel he's one of the 'human' heroes who has dodged the most bullets in term of poor storylines and jobbing.

Exactly. He's ALWAYS done what he has normally done.

But now?

http://marvelv.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/222ctr.jpg

It's time we saw this.

riv6672
Last time i saw that was a good weekend in college. huh

golem370
Toad
Post (Kevin Tremain)- http://marvel.com/universe/Post

maxivitopowe
Toad deffo deserves it

krisblaze
Post should stay in the 90s where he belongs.

Yeah, Toad definitely deserves something. He's the frigging Janitor now....

golem370
Post abilities and size merits him more imo maybe upper-level strength

krisblaze
Post abilities and size merits him more imo maybe upper-level strength

Why?

The size of the character has never had anything to do with their strength level.

You think Thor can lift a million tons because he's 6'5 and 300 lbs? smile

riv6672
Now you're just deliberately missing the point.roll eyes (sarcastic)

the Darkone
Thor, Beta Ray Bill, Captain Britain, Wonder Man, Meggan, Snow Bird
Eternals, Black Bolt

Kazenji
Originally posted by Raisen
i really tried to be a thor fan. the fear itself arc, gorr arc, fighting galactus, crappy context behind killing void etc just killed it for me
he's treated how superman is except marvel actually let's get thor chumped once in a while. but that's just because marvel. doesn't do business the same way dc does.

Seriously go read the current run, God of Thunder.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Raisen

how does that make him seem at all like Superman?

riv6672
Okay, i'm not the only one to find that post odd.

And God of Thunder: good recommendation.

leonidas
the leader. the leader has always been a character i thought could be awesome. if he truly is the intellectual equivalent to hulk's strength, he should probably the smartest being on the planet yet he is....pretty useless. he cool to see a new redefining arc for him, setting him up as one of the really great villains and one of the really great threats. hulk is iconic--he should have an equally awesome arch enemy. hulk's rogue's gallery is pretty turrible.....

yeah, leader for ruler of the world. smile

Magnon
Colossus.

Warlord
Carol Danvers

HulkIsHulk
Originally posted by byrdgang21
Skaar
Amen that. From the moment the fight with Hulk is over he became a jobber.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Superman, a legit Skyfather who has to operate on high herald levels so his teammates and enemies can shine.

carver9
Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe
Superman, a legit Skyfather who has to operate on high herald levels so his teammates and enemies can shine.

I agree. Like Hulk and Thor is an abstract operating at trans level power. I hate marvel.

Prof. T.C McAbe
I agree. Like Hulk and Thor is an abstract operating at trans level power. I hate marvel.

You try to hard, to be funny, bro wink

Yamcha
Trauma, he was always a favorite of mine an as the son of Nightmare I feel they could do something causing his powers to grow and put him back at Omega level mutant status but I haven't heard a thing about him in years >_>.

golem370
Why?

The size of the character has never had anything to do with their strength level.

You think Thor can lift a million tons because he's 6'5 and 300 lbs? smile

I think Atlas and Giant Man would disagree and Thor is 6'6 640pounds. It makes the character move intimidating when they are bigger.

DarkSaint85
I think Atlas and Giant Man would disagree and Thor is 6'6 640pounds. It makes the character move intimidating when they are bigger.

Haha they'd agree 100%.

When Hank Pym shrinks he retains his strength as when he's normal sized. Ergo, size =/=strength.

golem370
But when he gets bigger he gets strong as does Atlas

DarkSaint85
But when he gets bigger he gets strong as does Atlas

Yeah, but the point kris was making was that just because someone's bigger/smaller, does not automatically equal stronger/weaker.

You posting examples does not mean much (ESPECIALLY Giant Man lol) because all he has to do is find exceptions that prove he's right.

krisblaze

Ok.

Post's size does not warrant greater or lower strength, since his strength is not derived from his size.

As was the case with my examples.

Mindship
Which character has a lot of potential but writers don't show it via fights and fts? For me, the obvious answers are Thor and especially Surfer. Seems open-powerset characters are, more often than not, handled with CIS/PIS gloves.

golem370
Well that true but I think he has the powerset to be a good continued villain.

pym-ftw
Man-Thing should be treated as a major top tier character, possibly the strongest earth based character in marvel.

Branlor Swift
He has. It just involved a powerup.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.