What Would You Change in the OT?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

King Joker
If you could change anything in the Original Trilogy what are some of the things would you change?

King Joker
Well, for starters I would take out all of the CGI shit Lucas put into ANH, but that's too obvious.

I think I'd make the fights better choreographed. I definitely wouldn't want them so over the top like the PT, but they could be a lot better.

queeq
I'd only fix ROTJ a little bit. Probably bring in Wookiees instead of Ewoks. As was the original plan. Much more credible than teddy bears. And I'd give Han Solo a better part or a good death.

King Joker
Oh, yeah, definitely change the Ewoks. I forgot about that one.

queeq
Ah well... they're not as bad as JarJar.

Ace Hambone
Wookies for sure!

Ace Hambone
I was 100% happy with Alec Guinness as Obi Wan, but it's fun to think about Toshiro Mifune in the role. I think he would have been quite different but just as good. For one thing, with his physical presence and samurai movie background, it would be easier to see him as a butt-kicker in his younger days. Guinness had wisdom in spades, but Mifune would have added power. This would extend to the PT as well. I know many people like Ewan McGregor as Kenobi in the PT, but I never particularly did, especially in the fight scenes - not enough athleticism or physicality IMO. But I also don't know who could have played convincingly as a young Mifune.

Oneness
Nothing. Just the voices, sounds, and music of the OT raises my dopamine levels via nostalgia.

Watched the movies before Ep 1 came out, and collected the new films - always watched them when going on child-hood vacations I can't go on anymore.

I've associated that series with the best years of my life.

queeq
Originally posted by Ace Hambone
I was 100% happy with Alec Guinness as Obi Wan, but it's fun to think about Toshiro Mifune in the role. I think he would have been quite different but just as good. For one thing, with his physical presence and samurai movie background, it would be easier to see him as a butt-kicker in his younger days. Guinness had wisdom in spades, but Mifune would have added power. This would extend to the PT as well. I know many people like Ewan McGregor as Kenobi in the PT, but I never particularly did, especially in the fight scenes - not enough athleticism or physicality IMO. But I also don't know who could have played convincingly as a young Mifune.

Well, that all depends on the point of view (teeeheee).

At the time they were making the OT, Lucas had a completely different view on the Jedi. They were not ALL meant to be athletic jumping jacks. In fact, he said at the time that Yoda en Palpatine were of the sort that didn't USE light sabres. Their power came from a different knowledge and use of the force. (You can read all about it in his interviews captured the in latest Making Of... books).
So there were soldier Jedi (with light sabres) and there were knowledge Jedi (using other powers) etc...

Now everyone can see Lucas completely changed his mind while making the PT. But Guinness certainly fit the vision of peaceful monklike Jedi... He didn't NEED to be athletic or physical, he was meant to be the wise old mentor. And he was exactly that.

Don't be fooled by the notion that Lucas had everything in his head, from OT to PT, since the early seventies. I know he claims that, but all documents (from Journal of the Whills to all transcripts of interviews and debates while making the OT) prove quite the opposite.

I for one think Lucas OT vision made a lot more sense. That's how the OT was made. The PT ruined all that. And why? Because Lucas changed his mind, and again and again. In the 70s and 80 he was an impressive film visionary but he was certainly no geofictionalist like Tolkien or Frank Herbert (Dune).

Ace Hambone
That all makes sense, but on the other hand Kenobi did fight with light saber in ANH. I can see him as a Mr. Miyagi type: wise older dude who also knows how to fight. Like I said, I was totally down with how he played it, but I think Mifune would have brought different skills to the table.

queeq
Well, yes, that is my point. Jedi in the OT times were much more monks than jumping jacks. So OB1 has a very toned down style of fighting: only do what needs to be done.

Ace Hambone
I agree and I prefer the more restrained style. I think that change in vision goes with changing times. GL started writing Star Wars around when Enter the Dragon was released, but he wasn't paying attention to the cutting edge of martial arts films, as he was more into Japanese cinema's Samurai movies which portray more realistic fighting styles. But when the PT was being made, Hong Kong inspired, over the top action was the norm.

queeq
Yup, but he lost story along the way.

I don't mind the jumping jacks... I just wish I knew what they were fighting about (see: the Maul-OB1-QGJ fight).

Lord Lucien
Reasons. Shut up.

queeq
Hehehe...

Ace Hambone
Here's the Seven Samurai scene where we meet the master swordsman. No jumping jacks here!

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/203402/Seven-Samurai-The-Movie-Clip-Swordsman.html

queeq

Kickballjedi
Anytime I try to think about what I would change in the OT, I keep backtracking to the PT. Like I wouldn't want viewers to know Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker in EP4, but that's not EP4's fault, EP3 should've ended without showing the Vader armor or even Palpy announcing his new Darth name. You could even have had Padme die apparently pregnant in EP3, then in EP4 when the blond kid announces his name for the first time to C3PO, the viewer would be like "no way! Anakin's kid died!"

So there a few surprises in the OT that have been ruined for any new viewer who begins at episode 1, but there's nothing you can do in the OT to avoid this.

*Should I spoiler any of this?

queeq
Err... no need for that.

Spearhead
I'd add more large CGI animals walking in front of the screen.

When Han Solo was going to slice open the tauntaun to keep Luke warm, I'd need to add a little blaster to the tauntaun's hand and have him shoot it so we know Han has a reason to slice up the creature.

Oh, and I'd make sure that Hayden is the force ghost at the end of Episode 6.

...wait, what? That last one was already done? Man!

queeq
We have a new Lucas!

Kickballjedi
Watching that Seven Samurai scene makes me realize they need to make a Seven Jedi movie. Have 7 Jedi (pre-Episode1, but not Old Republic) drawn to Tattooine to help an outpost fight off a group of Tusken Raiders/ Cyborgs/ Pirates/ whatever, led by a Dark Jedi of some sort. The lead could be a young QGJ before he had OBW as an apprentice.
1- QGJ as the leader, organizer
2- A young upstart/hot headed Jedi as his side-kick/partner
3- a female Jedi with a double bladed saber, a real kickass duelist
4- a big Jedi, who fights hand to hand, maybe some new light saber melee weapon like shock gauntlets or something
5- an older Jedi who doesn't follow the code strictly, he's fun/goofy tells jokes and is kind of greedy
6- an alien Jedi- maybe zabrak or Twi'Lek or introduce one of the many other races and
7- a smuggler who continuously denies the force but joins the group for the pay. In the end it's discovered he's a Jedi who gave up his ways, but keeps his saber stashed away.

By the end of the movie most die by random blaster fire from the raiders.

Angelalex242
I'd have added Arica to Jabba's Palace. That way Mara Jade would be G Cannon.

queeq
Blaah...

Ace Hambone
They did a Seven Samurai Clone Wars episode, with Ahsoka, Obi and Anakin plus 4 bounty hunters. It's not bad - and the bounty hunter with the hat is pretty cool.

I like QGJ as the leader - especially if he has to shave his head at the beginning of the movie! The Rebels era might be a good time to set a Seven Jedi movie - a time when the Jedi have fallen on hard times.

Originally posted by Kickballjedi
Watching that Seven Samurai scene makes me realize they need to make a Seven Jedi movie. Have 7 Jedi (pre-Episode1, but not Old Republic) drawn to Tattooine to help an outpost fight off a group of Tusken Raiders/ Cyborgs/ Pirates/ whatever, led by a Dark Jedi of some sort. The lead could be a young QGJ before he had OBW as an apprentice.
1- QGJ as the leader, organizer
2- A young upstart/hot headed Jedi as his side-kick/partner
3- a female Jedi with a double bladed saber, a real kickass duelist
4- a big Jedi, who fights hand to hand, maybe some new light saber melee weapon like shock gauntlets or something
5- an older Jedi who doesn't follow the code strictly, he's fun/goofy tells jokes and is kind of greedy
6- an alien Jedi- maybe zabrak or Twi'Lek or introduce one of the many other races and
7- a smuggler who continuously denies the force but joins the group for the pay. In the end it's discovered he's a Jedi who gave up his ways, but keeps his saber stashed away.

By the end of the movie most die by random blaster fire from the raiders.

queeq
Hmmm... dunno. Come up with something original I'd say.

C-3POTheClever
I'd certainly erase the Luke/Leia kissing scenes because they're siblings! I'd try to fix some of the color change issues with he light-sabers. I also think the plot-twists could do with a bit more for-shadowing.

queeq
You'd remove the nerfherder scene??? No way, dude! wink

|King Joker|
Keep the nerfherder scene but remove the Luke/Leia making out part.

Edit: I wonder if Lucas new he was gonna have Luke and Leia be siblings in RotJ...

queeq
But... without the kiss, the nerfherder remark makes no sense.

THE mistake is making Luke and Leia siblings. That idea came during the making of ROTJ...

|King Joker|
You're right. I got the scene mixed up, lol.

Maybe Lucas just has a fetish.

queeq
No, he just changes his mind and then says it was always his plan. Liar! wink

|King Joker|
True, maybe that's his fetish.

queeq
Might be.

Flyattractor
The only thing I would change is a really small bit from TESB is when ever we see Vader "Brooding" around the SSD Bridge. I would stop him from holding his hands behind his back. To me that just looks silly.

Lord Lucien
Is that brooding or contemplating? It's not an uncommon gesture for someone to make when they're deep in thought. Having his arms limp by his side would look too robotic for such an emotional scene we just witnessed, and having his hands on his hips would look too aggressive and imperious. It was a somber moment, his body language needed to reflect that.

queeq
And it did that very well... The Vader character needed such gestures, I think.

Balta Skywalker
I wouldn't change much at all. Well, except Luke feeling attracted by Leia and (As all of us) ewoks for wokiees.

queeq
Wookiees...

Well, I wouldn't make Leia Luke's sister. As it was always intended.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Is that brooding or contemplating? It's not an uncommon gesture for someone to make when they're deep in thought. Having his arms limp by his side would look too robotic for such an emotional scene we just witnessed, and having his hands on his hips would look too aggressive and imperious. It was a somber moment, his body language needed to reflect that.

Just the way he had his arms behind his back. Reminds me of school teachers walking around the room keeping an eye on you during tests . It dosen't come off as something a Walking Death Shadow type person should do. Brooding and contemplating are fine just not like that.

Lord Lucien
You went to a frightening school.

Flyattractor
Under the Iron Hand of EDUCATION!

Darth Thor
I would definitely change/update the Vader vs Old Ben fight.

Lord Lucien
I would permanently get rid of this:

i97Ta_m4tIo

And reinstate this:

1L3uPvslAMw

queeq
Oh absolutely! All that extra exposition.

And I prefer the old color scheme as well.

LukeStarkiller
Originally posted by Ace Hambone
I was 100% happy with Alec Guinness as Obi Wan ...

Guiness himself thought the dialogue was rubbish. Can't post links as a newbie to this site, but do a search for:
alec guinness rubbish star wars dialogue
There are plenty of hits.

He wrote to a friend from set saying "New rubbish dialogue reaches me every other day on wadges of pink paper, and none of it makes my character clear or even bearable."

Despite him only being there for the paycheck and so a massive sellout, it shows how good an actor he was that he could make dialogue, that he himself thought was rubbish, sound believable.

It's been around for some time, but check out Bad Lip Reading "Bushes of Love" on YouTube.

LukeStarkiller
Originally posted by King Joker
If you could change anything in the Original Trilogy what are some of the things would you change?

I'd change the atrocious dialogue, awful acting, one-dimensional characters, lack of character development, numerous plot holes, scientific impossibilities, lame wisecracks and get rid of all the lame-looking model/puppet aliens (that doesn't mean all of them, just the lame-looking ones).

Generally I'd make the whole thing darker - darkness should permeate the films and it doesn't (you just get glimpses of it). The Riddick films are much darker plot-wise than any of the OT films, and the OT could do with a healthy dose of that darkness. After all, the rebels are meant to be living in this oppressive galaxy ruled by an evil Empire, but I don't get any sense of oppressiveness at all watching the OT.

Fanboy/fangirls will probably call for me to be burnt at the stake as a witch and denounce me for blasphemy, but deep down they know I'm right -- search your feelings.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by LukeStarkiller
scientific impossibilities In Star Wars...

I have a feeling that you are absolutely no fun to have around.

queeq
laughing out loud

CaveDude33211
Originally posted by queeq
I'd only fix ROTJ a little bit. Probably bring in Wookiees instead of Ewoks. As was the original plan. Much more credible than teddy bears.

That wasn't part of the original plan. George Lucas lied about that.

Lucas specifically wanted teddy bears ("Ewoks"wink - and the actual original creator of the Ewoks sued Lucas years later - when it became known that Lucas had actually plagiarized him to use the idea.

When George Lucas learned about how unpopular the Ewoks were, he lied and said that he planned for it to be Wookiees, which was a lie. no expression

Why do you think that retard purposefully created several spinoffs of the Ewoks into feature-length films?

Lord Lucien
Because that retarded is really good at making money.

Bentley
Originally posted by LukeStarkiller
I'd change the atrocious dialogue, awful acting, one-dimensional characters, lack of character development, numerous plot holes, scientific impossibilities, lame wisecracks and get rid of all the lame-looking model/puppet aliens (that doesn't mean all of them, just the lame-looking ones).

Generally I'd make the whole thing darker - darkness should permeate the films and it doesn't (you just get glimpses of it). The Riddick films are much darker plot-wise than any of the OT films, and the OT could do with a healthy dose of that darkness. After all, the rebels are meant to be living in this oppressive galaxy ruled by an evil Empire, but I don't get any sense of oppressiveness at all watching the OT.

Fanboy/fangirls will probably call for me to be burnt at the stake as a witch and denounce me for blasphemy, but deep down they know I'm right -- search your feelings.

I'd make it more kiddy and focus in characters with simple emotions.

CaveDude33211
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Because that retarded is really good at making money.

That "retarded"?

Lord Lucien
I stand by my retarded typo.

Blakemore
Chewbacca is a Wookiee who lives on a planet full of Ewoks.

That does not make sense.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.