mythology God vs religion God

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dika123
who more powerful

Digi
Wolverine wins.

SamZED
Originally posted by Digi
Teh Wolberine winz!!!1!1!1!!!! This way it's more accurate.

Shakyamunison
I don't think there is a difference. All "religion Gods" are "mythology Gods".

riv6672
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Basically.
Wars are fought and gods of the winners get pushed, often with aspects of the losing religion co opted to make it easier for the losers to take to it, and/or erase popular aspects.
There's a reason God is depicted as a white haired, bearded guy. Zeus.
December 25th, etc...

dika123
Wolverine wins.
lol what ? laughing

Digi
Originally posted by dika123
lol what ? laughing

Better feats. Those nails would never have been able to go through his wrists. Jesus didn't have adamantium bones.

Wolverine > Jesus. And we all know Jesus > other gods.

Ergo, Wolverine wins.

Star428
Originally posted by Shakyamunison

Horseshit. You atheists are ****ing pathetic. You have to post your anti-religion ignorance on a religion forum. Get a life.

Digi
Originally posted by Star428
Horseshit. You atheists are ****ing pathetic. You have to post your anti-religion ignorance on a religion forum. Get a life.

Shakya isn't an atheist. Relax and be respectful.

Robtard
Whoa, someone needs to calm down.

Anyhow, mythological gods were once the same as the God/gods in the main religions worshipped today. To an ancient Greek, Zeus was very much a "fact" as devine-Jesus and God is to Christians today, same for an ancient Egyptian, Horus was real for all intents and purposes.

Stands to reason that if a new religion (or worship in general ceases) ever comes forward and pushes aside the main world religions today, the God and stories of the Bible, Qu'ran, Torah etc would move on to a mythological state of existence. "Jesus" could become no more real to people than how Heracles/Hercules is seen today.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Star428

laughing out loud I am also not anti-religion. I believe that the evolutionary invention of religion is what brought humans to civilization. I think getting rid of religion would be a big mistake. I just want a better religion. One that would not be upset about what other people say. Most of the trouble in the world is cause by people like you who would take offence about what someone who is not a part of your religion has to say.

riv6672
Originally posted by Robtard
Whoa, someone needs to calm down.

Anyhow, mythological gods were once the same as the God/gods in the main religions worshipped today. To an ancient Greek, Zeus was very much a "fact" as devine-Jesus and God is to Christians today, same for an ancient Egyptian, Horus was real for all intents and purposes.

Stands to reason that if a new religion (or worship in general ceases) ever comes forward and pushes aside the main world religions today, the God and stories of the Bible, Qu'ran, Torah etc would move on to a mythological state of existence. "Jesus" could become no more real to people than how Heracles/Hercules is seen today.
Exactamundo.

bluewaterrider

Relax and be respectful.

Perhaps if you sent Star a personal message of the kind you last sent me, he might learn what respectful and relaxed communication looks like in actual practice and not just theory?

Certainly Star might understand your personal brand of writing better than I did.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Perhaps if you sent Star a personal message of the kind you last sent me, he might learn what respectful and relaxed communication looks like in actual practice and not just theory?

Certainly Star might understand your personal brand of writing better than I did.

Did you get chewed out, again? wink

bluewaterrider
Your question has implications that would prove more inaccurate than you realize.

For the present, let's just say that Digi's advice is genuinely good advice and that more people should consider adopting it.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Your question has implications that would prove more inaccurate than you realize.

For the present, let's just say that Digi's advice is genuinely good advice and that more people should consider adopting it.

It sounded like you were complaining.

Digi
BWR and I had a lengthy, heated discussion via PM. He's taking a jab at me by referencing it in light of my comment to Star. It's very much in line with his MO, which is to pick apart any and all posts I make, no matter how unrelated or differing in context, to try to point out hypocrisy. The depths to which this ongoing practice led us really did turn me into a d*ck toward him. Not my proudest hour, but it did finally end the discussion, for which I was grateful.

I'm heavily debating even posting this, for fear of engaging him again. However, all of that still doesn't change my comment toward Star, nor the sincerity with which is was made.

socool8520
Better feats. Those nails would never have been able to go through his wrists. Jesus didn't have adamantium bones.

Wolverine > Jesus. And we all know Jesus > other gods.

Ergo, Wolverine wins.

Can't argue with this logic. lol Wolverine wouldn't have had to be ressurected because he wouldn't have died.

socool8520
Isn't The Christian God the "end all be all though"? I can't say I'm extremely familiar with every god that has been established but didn't most cultures have their Chief God only responsible for a few Tasks at most?

riv6672
Christianity has different angels (seraphim, cherubim, thrones, powers, dominions, virtues, arch...) and patron saints (lost causes, healing, thieves, travelers, love...).

socool8520
I'm familiar with that, but the Christian God is supposed to be able to do anything and know everything?

riv6672
So are other gods.
Odin, Zeus, jupiter, Rah, Izanagi, Shangdi...really, it's almost impossible to judge. It's not like any of the cultures put limits on how strong their gods were or anything like that. They were all said to be infinitely strong and wise and yaddah yaddah yaddah.

People like to think their religions are different. They really arent. Its just a matter of rooting for the home team.
Just like sports there are some that back teams from different cities, like a New Yorker being an Eagles fan.
These people are called heathens.wink

socool8520
Yes but I was under the impression that Zeus was like a stronger version Storm so to speak. He wasn't the maker of the Universe, he doesn't know everything and his power wasn't limitless.

There are tales of Ra being able to be poisoned.

Just saying, God in Christianity is touted as all powerful with no limits at all.

riv6672
For every tout there's an anti tout. You'll find lots of people that'll argue the flaws of christianity's god. The fact that we're smack in the middle OF christianity as the dominant religion means the good press out numbers the bad.

And yeah, lots of creation myths differentiate between the main deity and the creator/creation.

One MIGHT say that shows christianity to be a bit full of itself...wink

socool8520
I wouldn't disagree. My point is that when perusing some of the powersets of the top Gods from various religions, the Christians just trolled and said "my God can do everything."

riv6672
Basically.
Think of them as the pre cursors to Superman fanboys.
There were other heroes before him, but he's the most popular, and HAS to be the most powerful, otherwise whats the point.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.