What type of games you can't get into?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zack Fair
I like to think I have a wide taste and appreciation of genres. From fighters to RPGs, to the occasional indie game. Lately I find myself being the odd man out as my local friends have become addicted to MOBAs like League of Legends and Dota 2. I can watch streams and tournaments no problem, but when it comes to playing them it is just my thing. I'm not even sure why because I'm playing with friends and stuff, but most of the time I find myself either bored and/or frustrated. Almost always wondering "So when do I start having fun?"

What genre do you guys have problems with?

RaventheOnly
I dislike sport and puzzle games >.>

Zack Fair
I can play sports game just fine. Not enough to own them, but if someone decides to play sports game then sure I'll play. Mobas...ugh...I feel like bashing them with their pro keyboards every time they bring them up.

http://i.imgur.com/g2Yo3.gif

ScreamPaste
Real life simulation games, The Sims, Train Simulator, etc. What the ****, guys.

I do like Sim City, though.

Impediment
Sports of any kind and MMORPG.

I tried the two week free demo of World of Warcraft, but I quit playing after about two days. Boring and stagnant.

Demonic Phoenix
MMORPG's, Modern day FPS (Bioshock and Bioshock:Infinite are the only exceptions, trying to get into Crysis at the moment), Casual tutti-fruity music-based games like Just Dance and Guitar/Band Hero etc., and tower defence games.

BloodRain
Sports games and simulation FPS, so your CoDs, BFs etc. For the latter it's how frail the charaters are and how overall subhuman they feel in movement and reactions. Tad boring. Can get behind ones like Halo and Crysis.

I could be fine playing an MMO if it wasn't for the grinding and for most of the forces social requirements (can only take on X with a party)

Tzeentch
MOBA's, sandbox games, JRPG's, fighters and sports games.

All are genres that make me want to kill myself.

ScreamPaste
Sports games are pretty lame, but not as lame as simulating trains.

-Pr-
Open world FPS games (Far Cry etc). I love open world. GTA, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row etc, but I just can't get past the small field of view. Even putting up the FOV just doesn't do it for me.

Estacado
^
Boooo on FC
Sport games.
Honestly cant understand how can people play some of them.
They should make a lifting game where you can do stuff like chest day.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Tzeentch
MOBA's, sandbox games, JRPG's, fighters and sports games.

All are genres that make me want to kill myself. Jesus dude, kill yourself.

**** all of you actually. Sports games? The Fight Night series was great, eat shit. thumb up

MOBAs are the big one that come to mind, but admittedly that's only because my first time playing League of Legends a Leonabot made my life a living nightmare whenever she wanted to. She saw my perky little butt and took it whenever it suited her.

I dunno about any others. Maybe RTS's, but I mostly shit on them to piss off FinalAnswer, and my not playing them ties into that.

ScreamPaste
Do wrestling games count as sport games? Because I used to like those. mmm haven't played one in about a decade though, so who knows.

And yeah, Leonabot didn't care about anything, lol.

Lek Kuen
Honestly I don't think their is a genre I don't like to a degree. I mean yeah I dislike madden and stuff but some sports games like boxing, or some of the older football games I had fun with. I think I've liked enough games of every major genre to while it might not be my favorite, I won't say I can't get into them.

NemeBro
I did used to like punching the **** out of enemy quarterbacks in NFL Blitz. Good shit.

I'd count wrestling games under sports, yeah. Raw vs. Smackdown is good shit.

StyleTime
Open world games, RTS, real-life sims, and sandbox games. If we're naming specific examples: Minecraft, Skyrim, Sim City, Warcraft/Starcraft, Grand Theft Auto.....I just don't understand the appeal. MMORPGs have lost my interest over time, although I am more open to them than the others.

Also, you all are terrible human beings, because League of Legends is amazing. It does have an absurdly high learning curve though.

Nemesis X
I would have to say the identity crisis genre is my least favorite. A genre it will believe itself to be but is the exact opposite.

Sacred 117
RTSs: I'm not a fan of watching the game basically play itself. Simply 'commanding' the action makes me feel relatively uninvolved and unimmersed.

Most MMORPGs: Mainly, most of them feel like the same game, and you spend way too much time getting so little done at a time to build up to basically nothing. By the time you obtain something you want you have no real use for it, and you typically just end up doing it all again. There might one day be SOMETHING that earns my attention, but as it stands, most of them aren't worth my time, attention, or monthly investment. Try strapping outside of monotony and we'll talk.

Sports: Why the f**k would I do this?! Realistically, there's nothing I can do here that I can't do IRL.

Simulators: (see 'Sports')

Pretentious "Interactive Narratives" (sub-Indie): Do I really need to explain?!

Most Racers: I can make exceptions for games such Jak X and F-zero for having something distinguishable and enjoyable to add to the experience. Besides that, there's really nothing to it besides a wasted investment. If you're trying to make a "realistic" racer, you may as well call it 'Driving Simulator #37'; except Forza and Gran Turismo practically already beat you to it.

Sandbox: This goes back to Sports. It's basically just manual labor, only it takes place on another plain of existence. Simply put, they're f**king boring, without even so much as a goal in mind. Thanks, but no thanks. I can find better ways to waste my time.

Smasandian
Umm, probably MMORPG's. I never really played them but I have no interest in grinding.

I guess it's not the genre but gameplay elements in certain games.

For ex. Tedious grinding, cheapness and RTS's online. I can't play them because I feel like I'm not moving fast enough....

Kazenji
MMORPG, Sports, Racing (unless its in a GTA game or something similar then its okay) & open world RPG's

BloodRawEngine
Strategy/Tactical RPG's more or less foremost. I simply despise everything they stand for, and I make Fire Emblem the prime example as far as what franchise I point to. For one, and probably its biggest problem imo, they're usually way too story-driven for any game's own good. I DESPISE the notion of story and presentation over gameplay or design mechanics, and even just hearing bullshit like "No story = no interest" is infuriatingly narrow-minded in my opinion, and a SRPG like Fire Emblem is exactly why I call bullshit; it's TOO MUCH story, and what makes up the gameplay just doesn't interest me to begin with. As you can also guess, it's why I think David Cage has no business making games either, but I digress.

I find SRPG combat slow and borderline self-playing, making the highest priorities in gameplay things that are just as effectively utilized in something like an RTS, but without any of the dynamicism that an RTS can have to its name by way of being REAL TIME; add on turn-based combat, something I consider outdated, and we have a game genre I knew I was gonna hate from the start, but gave a chance anyway. Waste of my time and with no one to blame but myself.

So yeah, too reliant on story and thus cripplingly linear, not reliant enough focus on gameplay integration and rather only segregation, and the gameplay style the genre goes for simply bores me to death anyway.

Originally posted by -Pr-
Open world FPS games (Far Cry etc). I love open world. GTA, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row etc, but I just can't get past the small field of view. Even putting up the FOV just doesn't do it for me.

I've never actually played Far Cry games, but I do very much agree that first-person is way too limiting a perspective. I get what they were going for when it comes to Far Cry though, and part of me is willing to make an exception because I love open world too. Basically, I've been meaning to try Far Cry out.

-Pr-
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine
I've never actually played Far Cry games, but I do very much agree that first-person is way too limiting a perspective. I get what they were going for when it comes to Far Cry though, and part of me is willing to make an exception because I love open world too. Basically, I've been meaning to try Far Cry out.

I tried with Far Cry 3. I REALLY wanted to get in to it, because I heard so many good things. I ended up turning it off within an hour. sad

========

One more I can't get in to is MOBA games. They look like a lot of fun, but I generally hate PVP. I don't play games for PVP.

WWE 2K14 was a lot of fun, and I assume that counts as a sports game. That and PES are my go-to sports games. I won't touch anything by EA Sports though. Not since they ****ed up FIFA all those years ago.

BlackZero30x
I can get into any really but if I had to pick one that I play less then the others it would be Sports games.

Lek Kuen
Ya'll are a bunch of filthy casuals

Firefly218
What's wrong with sports games? Madden can be freakin awesome at times.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by Firefly218

My personal opinion: like I've said already, I just find it redundant. Why not just play football IRL? If you've bought one game, you've pretty much bought all of them.

Again, this is just my take. No disrespect to your taste.

Smasandian
Most hardcore gamers that I know personally don't like sports games because they don't like sports. Or at least follow them that well.

I guess most people who play sports games are core gamers, or casual.

Personally, I love sport games because I loved and grew up playing sports. Looking forward to getting a PS4 so I can get MLB The Show.

Zack Fair
I liked more whacky sports games like NBA Jam and a futuristic baseball game I owned on SNES. I liked Fight Night games, and always had fun with wrestling games. So I guess I like them, but stuff like Madden and NBA lives and baseball/FIFAS became less fun for me the more they got deeper and complex(not knocking it against them. Would've sucked if they never mature)

Sacred 117
Now that I think about it, I remembered enjoying NBA Street in my youth. The reason for this being simply because of how over-the-top it was, which falls directly under my "defining element" clause.

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by Zack Fair
I liked more whacky sports games like NBA Jam and a futuristic baseball game I owned on SNES. I liked Fight Night games, and always had fun with wrestling games. So I guess I like them, but stuff like Madden and NBA lives and baseball/FIFAS became less fun for me the more they got deeper and complex(not knocking it against them. Would've sucked if they never mature)

Over time they sort of went more towards simulation when before it was more arcadey and action

Demonic Phoenix
Since when is Madden about Football? Surely you all must be referring to Handegg. vin

~ I still play FIFA, but the scripting in that game is getting ridiculous.
While I haven't played a wrestling game in years, I had a lot of fun playing Smackdown Vs. Raw. Playing Tag Team and attacking the guy who wasn't tagged in never failed to amuse me.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
Over time they sort of went more towards simulation when before it was more arcadey and action Exactly you nailed my sentiment. That pretty much sums it up.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Sacred 117
Now that I think about it, I remembered enjoying NBA Street in my youth. The reason for this being simply because of how over-the-top it was, which falls directly under my "defining element" clause.
NBA Street was the greatest basketball series ever(Yes, even better than NBA Jam). I love the SSX series too, although that is snowboarding.

I still have hope that MMA games will catch up, but right now, the typical fighting game is just way more entertaining to play than any UFC game.

0mega Spawn
Racing and sports games... i only like sport fighting games. NBA live was the shit though

Bentley
Strategy/Tactical RPG's more or less foremost. I simply despise everything they stand for, and I make Fire Emblem the prime example as far as what franchise I point to. For one, and probably its biggest problem imo, they're usually way too story-driven for any game's own good. I DESPISE the notion of story and presentation over gameplay or design mechanics

So now Fire Emblem has no gameplay? And we're to assume it's a graphical powerhouse somehow? Did you know that every FE game has essentially the same story?

I'd point somewhere else if I wanted to make any of those points thumb down

AsbestosFlaygon
**** y'all hatin' on mah sports games.
NBA 2K14 is da shite! Get outta here!

No really, that's like, my go-to game. I like doing dunks that I can't do IRL; dunking on MJ and LJ with my custom dunking machine.

Genres that make me pull my hair out?
MOBAs (don't understand why this shit is so popular with the teenage guyz in my area), MMORPGs (too lazy to grind), and most simulators (except sports and racing simulators).

Bardock42
I wish the players in 2K14 could dunk as well as I can IRL, really takes me out of the game.

AsbestosFlaygon
How many backboards have you shattered?

Bentley
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
MMORPGs (too lazy to grind),

I'm actually a very grindy person (playing Monster Hunter, Etrian Odyssey and Pokemon), but I despise MMORPGs all the same. For me there is just never enough pay off when you grind in MMORPGs, their system are almost always linear to a fault, your only goal is leveling up and there is no partial goal in between other than senseless and repetitive quests. I don't appreciate that those games need quests to keep you interested.

Lek Kuen
That bit about goal and linear gameplay systems varies greatly.

While grinding is pretty much an almost universal aspect of them, those really aren't especially in the modern mmo landscape.

Bentley
Linear is probably not the right way to call it, let me rephrase it.

The systems are hierarchic. They measure your activities based in a linear factor (normally your level or your equipment), making advancing in that hierarchy absolutely central. That's what I meant.

KCJ506
Sports. Unless they're Mario ones.

Bentley
Originally posted by KCJ506
Sports. Unless they're Mario ones.

I want to see jumping on Goombas for the Olympics.

(I totally understand what you mean there, but I still went and made that a sad joke out of it)

BloodRawEngine
Originally posted by Bentley
So now Fire Emblem has no gameplay? And we're to assume it's a graphical powerhouse somehow? Did you know that every FE game has essentially the same story?

I'd point somewhere else if I wanted to make any of those points thumb down

Maybe if you didn't crop the post, you'd get to see what my point was. I said it goes with the notion of story OVER gameplay, and the gameplay being neither plentiful or to my liking. I said nothing about its graphical capabilities meaning jack shit, nor WHAT the story contents are.

I'd stop putting words in others' mouths if I wanted to make any of those points thumb down

Bentley
Maybe if you didn't crop the post, you'd get to see what my point was. I said it goes with the notion of story OVER gameplay, and the gameplay being neither plentiful or to my liking. I said nothing about its graphical capabilities meaning jack shit, nor WHAT the story contents are.

I'd stop putting words in others' mouths if I wanted to make any of those points thumb down

Actually I have no idea why I brought up the graphics, I got it mixed up somehow and I apologize embarrasment

So how come you figure it's story over gameplay? The game do has a storyline and it tries to be stylized about it, but I'm unsure how that inmediately means it has a story that tries to become it's main appeal.

And we could argue about how the gameplay is simple but deep, but you have all the right to dislike it, specially if you don't like turn-based games.

Kazenji
I had the same problem with the Front Mission games too with being more about the story.

AsbestosFlaygon

Sports: Why the f**k would I do this?! Realistically, there's nothing I can do here that I can't do IRL.

Can you pass and run as fast a seasoned quarterback IRL?
Can you do a reverse windmill dunk IRL?
Can you shoot 3 points with pinpoint accuracy in a consistent basis?
Can you shoot free throws 100%?
Do you know how to drive a race car in the Nurburgring track?

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
Ya'll are a bunch of filthy casuals

This offends me...I think lol

Originally posted by Firefly218

Actually, I have been playing the crap out of Madden 25 lately. I mostly play any kind of game because I love gaming. I really couldn't give an answer to "What types of games you can't get into" for that very reason so I picked a type I like least of all..........sooo Sports.

NemeBro
Do you know how to drive a race car in the Nurburgring track? Yes, to all.

Sacred 117
Do you know how to drive a race car in the Nurburgring track?
Originally posted by NemeBro
Yes, to all.

AsbestosFlaygon

Can you punch as strong yet move as agile as Muhammad Ali?
Do you know how to skate?
Can you score a goal via header or bicycle kick?
Can you play better than Roger Federer?
Do you have a 40" vert?
Can you beat Goldberg, Batista, and Triple H at the same time?
Can you beat Cristiano Ronaldo or Leo Messi in a 1-on-1 for 90 minutes?
Can you beat Anderson Silva in a UFC Ring?

Sports games give a chance even for the noobest of noobs or the most pathetic non-athletic pseudo-paraplegic to become the greatest sports player in gaming existence, through pixels on a flat screen.

Bardock42

This is like my joke, just possibly serious.....

Sacred 117

In the future, I'd try to refrain from sitting 'acting' as a sport. Lol.

Sports games give a chance even for the noobest of noobs or the most pathetic non-athletic pseudo-paraplegic to become the greatest sports player in gaming existence, through pixels on a flat screen.

And if they want to play them, that's fine. My point is essentially "If I want to play sports, I'm going to actually do it."

Originally posted by Bardock42
This is like my joke, just possibly serious.....

Not that serious, but yeah.

NemeBro
Can you punch as strong yet move as agile as Muhammad Ali?
Do you know how to skate?
Can you score a goal via header or bicycle kick?
Can you play better than Roger Federer?
Do you have a 40" vert?
Can you beat Cristiano Ronaldo or Leo Messi in a 1-on-1 for 90 minutes?
Can you beat Anderson Silva in a UFC Ring? Yes, to all.

Star428
Just about any game in which good video game reflexes are required to excel at it. Which, sadly, is the overwhelming majority of games on consoles (which is what I play on exclusively). I like games where I can take my time. At least, to an extent. That's why I like turn-based games like XCOM and Civilization: Revolution. Or board games like Risk or Monopoly. I tried to get into games like the hugely popular "Call of Duty" series but I sucked at them big time.

heathjack
I cant get into the sports games like base ball or foot ball games.

Nemesis X
Not into sports games either. Mostly basketball.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Star428
Just about any game in which good video game reflexes are required to excel at it. Which, sadly, is the overwhelming majority of games on consoles (which is what I play on exclusively). I like games where I can take my time. At least, to an extent. That's why I like turn-based games like XCOM and Civilization: Revolution. Or board games like Risk or Monopoly. I tried to get into games like the hugely popular "Call of Duty" series but I sucked at them big time. Is it because you're old?

Reflassshh
Sports games and GTA series, they're boring compared to the great majority of other open world games imo.

Star428
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Is it because you're old?

I'm 43. I don't think that's old. It's middle-aged. My reflexes just aren't what they used to be. Maybe if I played the games more and practiced I could get better but I just don't have the patience when I can instead be playing games I'm already good at and really enjoy. Like XCOM (turn-based squad tactics). I can play some games where a little reflexes are required (like hunting games) but only a few buttons are required to learn to excel at those games. I might eventually get back into playing "Injustice: Gods Among Us" (fighting game based-on DC comic characters). Quick reflexes are definitely required to be good at that game but also lots of different button combinations have to be learned. So far, I've dabbled with practice (or tutorial I guess u call it) mode on it. Unfortunately, in practice mode you have to be Batman and you're fighting Superman. I really hate that.

Stoic
I'm 43. I don't think that's old. It's middle-aged. My reflexes just aren't what they used to be. Maybe if I played the games more and practiced I could get better but I just don't have the patience when I can instead be playing games I'm already good at and really enjoy. Like XCOM (turn-based squad tactics). I can play some games where a little reflexes are required (like hunting games) but only a few buttons are required to learn to excel at those games. I might eventually get back into playing "Injustice: Gods Among Us" (fighting game based-on DC comic characters). Quick reflexes are definitely required to be good at that game but also lots of different button combinations have to be learned. So far, I've dabbled with practice (or tutorial I guess u call it) mode on it. Unfortunately, in practice mode you have to be Batman and you're fighting Superman. I really hate that.

X-Com is awesome, I even have the original PS1 game. They really nerfed the crap out of those fusion missiles in the new one, but it's still a really great game. I can't seem to get into the survival horror games, or the sports games. Fighting games tend to bore me after I've defeated the final boss.

Star428
Originally posted by Stoic
X-Com is awesome, I even have the original PS1 game. They really nerfed the crap out of those fusion missiles in the new one, but it's still a really great game. I can't seem to get into the survival horror games, or the sports games. Fighting games tend to bore me after I've defeated the final boss.

Never played the original game but I've heard a lot of good things about it. I thought it was only on PC though. People over on the 2k forums were always trashing EU and EW by saying how much better the original was. If you haven't tried the EW stand-alone expansion to EU then I highly recommend you give it a try. It's a nice improvement over EU even though EU was already a great game. Just don't purchase the DL version because it's totally unplayable on PS3. XBOX and PC versions might work ok though. Go with the disc if you decide to get it. I haven't had any problems with disc version. Also, MP mode is quite fun too.

Stoic
Never played the original game but I've heard a lot of good things about it. I thought it was only on PC though. People over on the 2k forums were always trashing EU and EW by saying how much better the original was. If you haven't tried the EW stand-alone expansion to EU then I highly recommend you give it a try. It's a nice improvement over EU even though EU was already a great game. Just don't purchase the DL version because it's totally unplayable on PS3. XBOX and PC versions might work ok though. Go with the disc if you decide to get it. I haven't had any problems with disc version. Also, MP mode is quite fun too.

I have it, and I agree it was a great step in the right direction for the game. The original was more do or die, and the original Chrysalid's were scary as hell. They had a rock hard armored coating that you had to break through before you could get to do any hard damage on them, and they had crazy movement speed, so it was kill or be turned into one of them. There was one game that I had them all down to one, and I was wiping the floor with them. Then one Chrsalid turned it all around on me. It infected soldier after soldier until I only had one guy alive against an entire hoard of my former soldiers turned Chysalid LOL. The Muton's were also murderous. But yeah it was on the original PS1. I hated it at first, and thought that I'd made a mistake. I tossed it into my collection, and didn't play it again for about 6 months, and then a buddy came by, and just stayed on it for hours. After watching on the sidelines I began to really enjoy the tactics that it offered. I still have it up til this day.

Star428
Originally posted by Stoic
I have it, and I agree it was a great step in the right direction for the game. The original was more do or die, and the original Chrysalid's were scary as hell. They had a rock hard armored coating that you had to break through before you could get to do any hard damage on them, and they had crazy movement speed, so it was kill or be turned into one of them. There was one game that I had them all down to one, and I was wiping the floor with them. Then one Chrsalid turned it all around on me. It infected soldier after soldier until I only had one guy alive against an entire hoard of my former soldiers turned Chysalid LOL. The Muton's were also murderous. But yeah it was on the original PS1. I hated it at first, and thought that I'd made a mistake. I tossed it into my collection, and didn't play it again for about 6 months, and then a buddy came by, and just stayed on it for hours. After watching on the sidelines I began to really enjoy the tactics that it offered. I still have it up til this day.

Yeah, I've heard a lot about how terrifying the chryssalids were from the original game. So you do have 'XCOM: Enemy Within' then? Have you played any multiplayer? If you play on PS3 maybe we'll run into each other sometime and battle it out. Assuming you do play on PS3 what's your PSN user ID?

Stoic
Yeah, I've heard a lot about how terrifying the chryssalids were from the original game. So you do have 'XCOM: Enemy Within' then? Have you played any multiplayer? If you play on PS3 maybe we'll run into each other sometime and battle it out. Assuming you do play on PS3 what's your PSN user ID?

Haven't played multi player, and I have the latest X-Com game with all of the new bells and whistles. I love the mech implants, and the cybernetic upgrades mixed with the TP. Multi player never caught on for me, because I tend to suck crap when playing against human opponents.

Star428
You should really try multiplayer. It's extremely fun. So what if u get beaten. I lose every now and then but I don't let it stop me from enjoying it.

KCJ506
Most sports games. Mario ones and some boxing games being exceptions

Most FPS.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.