Music for the Masses

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GordonSkywalker
So this is a thread dedicated to the types of music we all listen to in the car or at home. I personally like to play music by Lindsey Buckingham and Queen. I also like newer brands of music and consider myself a huge fan of Dave Grohl and Depeche Mode. So what types of music do you like to listen to?................................... cool

yerssot
everything except country&western I think

Catch 22
Depeche Mode, new??? confused

GordonSkywalker
I got into Dave Grohl back when he was drumming for Nirvana and have followed his career with his own band The Foo Fighters as well as his recent collaboration with Queens of the Stone Age. He is a very gifted songwriter and musician.

Tex
I'm currently in a musical slump.
Most of my fav musicians are in the process of creating new music, time to play the waiting gameroll eyes (sarcastic)

narcil

GordonSkywalker
I like Avril Lavigne and have several posters of her on my wall at home.

Tex
I hate Avril Lapuke!stick out tongue

GordonSkywalker
She happens to be a cool singer/songwriter Tex!

Tex
Anyone can write the crappy lyrics she writes!

Songwriter? HAroll eyes (sarcastic)

GordonSkywalker
Tex this is just like when someone dares to insult Bjork. I like Bjork as well as Avril. I find both are very talented and gifted.

Tex

GordonSkywalker
Who is insulting Bjork? I said she was gifted and talented. I have liked her since I first saw her back in 1992! She is a princess as far as I am concerned!

Tex

GordonSkywalker
Oh for the love of......I was trying to demonstrate I love Bjork!

Tex

GordonSkywalker
This is impossible. Talking to you is just impossible. And if you noticed I said I was trying to demonstrate to YOU my affection for her and not however you took it.

Tex

GordonSkywalker
Forget it. I don't know why I try...I honestly don't.

Tex
As in Zwan Honestly?

GordonSkywalker
Billy Corgan's new group? Yes I have heard of them from a friend of mine.

Tex
Keeping with the theme of the thread, yes.

They are an awesome group to see live. Of which I personally experienced last month.

finti
"I should be saying goodnight
I really shouldn't stay any more
It's been so long since I held ya
Forgotten what love is for

I should run, on the double
I think I'm in trouble
Think I'm in trouble" -Lindseys Buckingham`s TROUBLE from his Law and Order album

indeed a ??????? they had their first hit in 1981 with New Life. DM is a really true avantgarde band

GordonSkywalker
Law and Order is a great Lindsey Buckingham album. As for Depeche Mode I made a mistake in how I worded my earlier post.

mechmoggy
At the moment I'm still listening to Zwan and The White Stripes in my car, but I'm keen to get the Audio Bully's album. I liked the first single to be released off it and now I've heard the second, its a must.

Has anyone seen the video for "gay bar" by Electric 6? I nearly soiled myself it was so funny, especially when that hamster goes across the screen! laughing out loud

Tex
Have you purchased the Abandoned Pools album yet?

mechmoggy
Nah, a serious lack of funds has left me wanting for any new material, hence the reason my car play list is still the same.

Have you got it, you lucky southern dog?

Tex
Yeah, over a year ago. It was released Sept 11 2001.eek!

finti
bought 5 cd`s today
Deep Purples "In Rock" - "Fireball" - "Machine Head"
Black Sabbats "Black Sabbath" - " Vol 4"

mechmoggy
Mrs.MM has looked for it for me on two seperate occasions, either the shop ain't got it or its not been released over here.

Its not worth me ordering it or looking in the imports section till I've got some more cash though, all our money is going towards our holiday in July.

Tex
Great CD to take on vacationwink

mah
listening to same music at home as everywhere else. im talking bent, SOAD, fennesz, neutral milk hotel, propagandhi, autechre, daft punk, aphex twin, combatwoundedveteran, the blood brothers, the white stripes, the flaming lips, the weakerthans +++

Tex
I love Flaming Lips, especially Corranswink

GordonSkywalker
What kind of music do they play, Tex?

Catch 22
I know, I remember it from when I was at school.

GordonSkywalker
Depeche Mode is cool and apparently no one here understood my meaning. A bunch of nitpickers aren't you?

Corran
Gordon we all know who Depeche Mode are, well the older of us, I have some of their albums on vinyl still. New life was awesome/

Augeybana
Top 5 favorite bands:

5)Nonpoint

4)Nirvana

3)Creed

2)Linkin Park

1)Staind

Best bands ever.

GordonSkywalker
I never said none of you did not know who Depeche Mode were Corran. Pay closer attention to my words before you criticise them. I don't quite share Augey's taste in music but liked Nirvana's nevermind album when it came out.

Rave
I like Linkin Park.

finti
you worded it wrong so it looked like you said it was a new act, we just corrected you

Mayby you should pay closer attention to what you wrote yourself Gordon

hayden's minx
I'm not especially found of new metal i think it sux, and bands like avril lavi and busted (uk) are toatl crud. I like all sorts of rock though and here are some major music that have influenced the band i'm in.
Placebo, The Smashing Pumkins, Greenday, HIM, CKY and loads of others that the other band members like.

GordonSkywalker
Cool. As for the Depeche Mode thing finti I meant to say I like new music and older groups like Depeche Mode. Even Time Lords can make mistakes. Keeping on topic I have yet to hear Billy Corgan's new group but hear they are not as good as The Smashing Pumpkins.

Bad Boy
FEEDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tex
Yeah, Zwan is not as good as the Pumpkins. They're way too happy and not loud enough. I'm hoping the next CD is darker.
But they are a great group.

GordonSkywalker
So it is just Corgan who is in Zwan and none of the other ex-Pumpkins I guess. I never understood why they broke up anyway. Oh and Minxy- rock on! Being in a rock band is cool.

Tex
Its Billy and Jimmy Chamberlain, the drummer.
They broke up cause they were washed up practically. They continued to release masterpieces, but the general public was no longer interested.

GordonSkywalker
Oh how disappointing. I loved their last three albums.

Tex
Yeah me too, but what can you do?
Shame.

finti
The right thing to do though, too many string on to a consept that is long overdue

mah
it was good that they quit. their music started to get really dull.

GordonSkywalker
I was really into Ava Adora and some of their other songs but can't remember trhe names right now.

finti
cant have been to much into them if you cant remember what they were called

GordonSkywalker
Nah it was some years ago when I listened to their music all the time. Other things have preoccupied my mind since then.

Corran
Christina is on in birmingham on 25th Oct. mech are you going?

Tex
Adore was pretty dull, but I beg to differ about Machina.

yerssot
if you're talking about aguilera... sick

Tex
sick

GordonSkywalker
Christina Aguilera is cool. Shame she felt the need to strip for that one song though........

mechmoggy
Just to see her sexy booty? But I hear she's put some timber on lately.

Maybe not....

GordonSkywalker
So I assume that was the Christina mentioned by Corran?

mechmoggy
Indeed.

Not my scene anyway, give me a sweaty bunch of indie rockers anyday over pop crap.

GordonSkywalker
Interesting response. Not to worry, there were a whole lot of guys who once thought she looked good.

mechmoggy
Maybe in her first two videos, with the sound turned down so I didn't have to listen to her. Then she got a bit freaky. eek!

GordonSkywalker
I know guys who liked her girl-next-door image in her first hit than her later image.

mechmoggy
She put her make-up on with a trowel for the Moulan Puke video.

Bleuch! sick

GordonSkywalker
I had the misfortune of seeing that one and she reminded me of the guy from Twisted Sister!

Tex
Just bought a fresh pack of CDR's, gonna start burning.
1. White Stripes

mah
good one.
just bought Tomahawk - Mit Gas

GordonSkywalker
Does anyone here actually own any music from The Police?

BackFire349
metal

GordonSkywalker
Metallica?

BackFire349
no

Tex
No Police in my collection

Captain REX
I listen to whatever I think sounds good. Usually movie soundtracks (Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Star Wars, LOTR, etc.), classical (Mozart, Beethoven, etc.), and other stuff. Not very picky about music.

finti
most of the soundtracks you listed are classical

Corran
Gordon, I own some stuff from the Police. I also have Sting Albums too.

finti
Police was cool, Sting grew to be boring

Corran
Turtles was good.

finti
far from solid

GordonSkywalker
I like The Police more than Sting as a solo artist. With the exception of Dreams of the Blue Turtles. My favorite Police songs are "Roxanne" and "Wrapped Around Your Finger".

Corran
I really like Can't stand losing you.

mah
three new cd's today:
Tomahawk - Mit Gas
Autechre - Draft 7.30
Fennesz - Endless Summer

Gundark
I see you sent my letters back and my LP records and they're all cracked...

Corran
How scary is that, the reason I posted my last one was because since Gordon asked the question I have been singing that line randomly and annoying people.

GordonSkywalker
"Can't Stand Losing You" was recorded around the same time as "Roxanne". Both songs use simliar chord progressions. Corran is right. It is an easy song to get stuck in your head and then not be able to get it out!

Gundark
Your brother's gonna kill me and he's six feet ten......

Corran and I could sing this all day...hehehe.

GordonSkywalker
Strange thing is I am over six feet tall.

Fitch
Gundy,long time no see.It's a plesure to share the tavern eith ya smile

finti
how strange roll eyes (sarcastic)

GordonSkywalker
Considering the guy's height in the song we were discussing before you made one of your timely visits.

finti
how peculiar smokin'

Captain REX
Very fascinating... smokin'

Corran
Not

Tex
Corran smells like fishy fartsstick out tongue

Corran
Yeah, he does.

Tex
Ewwwwwwstick out tongue

Corran
Just stop coming so close then it won't bother you.

Tex
Oh Corran, your such a gas!

Corran
That would be 'You're such a gas' or 'you are such a gas'.

Please no need to thank me for the English lesson, no really.

Tex
Well that's why god invented English people.

Corran
And Satan invented Texans?

Tex
Texas, The Real Holy Land, as I like to call it, was invented to house the fabulous!

Corran
And you live there to help serve them? stick out tongue

Tex
No, that's why god invented Mexicans.

Corran
Ooooo.

Anyway back on track, I am currently listening to Debussy, well not Debussy cos that may be a little difficult but Nicholas York playing Claire De Lune.

GordonSkywalker
Right, who likes Guns 'n' Roses? Not the current incarnation but the original lineup with Axl and Slash and the rest of the boys? Which songs are your faves?

finti
I like GNR and my fav songs are welcome to the jungle, sweet child of mine and one in a million

GordonSkywalker
I Like Sweet Child of Mine and You Could Be Mine.

Corran
Sweet child of mine rocks.

GordonSkywalker
Before my voice got deeper I could sing it at parties and annoy my friends. I prided myself on that singular accomplishment.

finti
and now you sound like Barry White?

GordonSkywalker
Now I can't do some of the screeching that Axl (Or Kurt Cobain) are famous for.

finti
Cobain had a crappy voice

GordonSkywalker
None of that screeching helped either.

finti
a shotgun did

GordonSkywalker
Do you like the double album Use Your Illusion by G'n'R?

finti
No I think it sucks

GordonSkywalker
Fair enough.

finti
The first two were good, Appetite for destruction and Lies but then the success seemed to go to their head

GordonSkywalker
Too commercial yeah I agree.

GordonSkywalker
Any fans of Fleetwood Mac out here? They have a brand new album coming out soon featuring Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. He has been featured in a few guitar magazines recently and talks about the band's current project.

finti
I like the old Fleetwood Mac, Rumors and Mirage were awesome albums

GordonSkywalker
Rumours is cool. Ain't heard Mirage. Some of my fave songs are "The Chain", "Tusk", "Little Lies", "Dreams" and "Big Love". I am more into Lindsey's songs than Christine's.

finti
gypsy is a cool song

GordonSkywalker
Oh I forgot that one! That was Stevie on lead vocals wasn't it? My mom likes that song and most of Stevie's other tunes.

finti
that was Stevie allright, she is kind of gypsy inspired in her apparance

GordonSkywalker
That's the one, I remember now. I got it mixed up with "Dreams". I was never into Christine's songs or the pre-Buckingham/Nicks era of the band. For me Lindsey Buckingham is an excellent guitarist and music producer.

Member.
hm..

GordonSkywalker
Anyone here heard Out of the Cradle by Lindsey Buckingham? It was an album recorded in the early 90s and features some great rock and roll with the guitar, bass and drums!

finti
I`ve got the album

GordonSkywalker
Which songs do you like best? I like "Doing What I Can" and "This is the Time".

finti
countdown

GordonSkywalker
Countdown is cool. More upbeat than most of the album.

LaurenE147
The Donnas kick ass!

Bjork sucks. Hey, Tex.

mechmoggy
Don't like many female singers, don't now why that is. confused

I am enjoying the lovely female lead singer in the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, she got a cool voice. cool

GordonSkywalker
You mean you don't dig Stevie Nicks? Natalie Merchant? Jewel?

mechmoggy
I said I don't like many, I didn't say who I don't like.

LaurenE147
They're not my taste.

GordonSkywalker
I know what you said Mech, I was asking if you liked those three?

finti
Kate Bush is cool

GordonSkywalker
So is Joan Jett.

finti
one hit wonder

GordonSkywalker
One hit is better than no-hit. Actually she is famous for more songs than "I Love Rock and Roll". She also was once part of the very first all-girl rock band The Runaways. Lita Ford was also a member.

finti
Runaways were bad they really suck and so does the music of Lita Ford and Joan Jett

GordonSkywalker
Your opinion not mine. I think both are fantastic.

Corran
OK, just been listening to Puccini, god I love Madam Butterfly.

GordonSkywalker
Ah the classics, you like classics Corran?

finti
Classical oyeah, Mozart, Griegs Peer Gynt, Eric Satie`s 3 Gymnopedics, Tchaikovsky.

finti
About Joan Jett. some rock artist she didnt even write her biggest hit, so when it comes to rock ladies who didnt write theirown material i like Pat Benetar and Suzi Quatro better

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>