Does unconditional love exist?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

atv2
Growing up I was taught about unconditional love but I always questioned it because humanity on a whole is fragile when it comes to loving people. We are extremely conditional when it comes to love. If people hurt the other it is convenient to break the relationship and not see the other again. Even in the new testament, Christ laid conditions on the people saying that if we were to love him we should keep his commandments or if someone was to put their hand to the plow and turns back is not worthy of the kingdom. There is still a Hell that exist so it matters to God that we are obedient to his words. It matters what we do and it matters who we are in the eyes of God. I've been trying to discover what unconditional love is and I'm still learning. Does anyone believe that unconditional love exists?

Lord Lucien
No, it doesn't.

Oneness
The biological basis of all urges are hormonal.

Unconditional love will always be present so long as one is able to continuously evoke the release of these hormones in another.

Lord Lucien
Chemicals, baby. It's all chemicals.

Oneness
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Chemicals, baby. It's all chemicals.

Rao Kal El
Nope, there is always some sort of exchange for love. In order for you to love someone that person has to give you something no one else does.

I mean you love that person FOR A REASON.

SayWhat
Don't think so. If you have no money, you get no honey. No possessions too? Only in "Imagine" will that ever fly. In the real world it's all about the materialism.

SayWhat
Originally posted by Oneness
The biological basis of all urges are hormonal.

Unconditional love will always be present so long as one is able to continuously evoke the release of these hormones in another.

Initially I agree with that, love at first sight does happen. But eventually it's going to be, let's see your place, your car and much do you got?

Had that happen over the summer where I was not sure if someone liked me right off the bat or if they were prompted by someone else to fake like me. Or maybe that is just how she is, she likes everybody and is flirty. Had not seen in her in a long time and when I walked past her the other day in a side glance, I noticed quite a bit of movement from her.

I already decided that I was not getting involved with her and walked away. Perhaps I am her walking hormonal imprint in her head, that evokes a strong CNS reaction when I am nearby. Or maybe when I am there I listen to Clapton's Cocaine and she likes that stuff. I dunno, never tried that kind of coke, just like the song.

Or maybe I wrote a song for her off the cuff, and she was impressed by it. Not sure. It was "Bonita Senora, How Much I Adore Ya, Straight From the Heart" to the tune of Cupid.
My bad, never write songs like that again. Had so many women getting my attention afterwards.

Note to self don't put such stuff on Missed Connections Craigslist again.

Anyway, initial attraction, of course; afterwards, nope.

Oneness
Phuck conditional, that ain't happening for anyone I know, never giving it, never will accept receiving it.Originally posted by SayWhat
Initially I agree with that, love at first sight does happen. But eventually it's going to be, let's see your place, your car and much do you got?

Had that happen over the summer where I was not sure if someone liked me right off the bat or if they were prompted by someone else to fake like me. Or maybe that is just how she is, she likes everybody and is flirty. Had not seen in her in a long time and when I walked past her the other day in a side glance, I noticed quite a bit of movement from her.

I already decided that I was not getting involved with her and walked away. Perhaps I am her walking hormonal imprint in her head, that evokes a strong CNS reaction when I am nearby. Or maybe when I am there I listen to Clapton's Cocaine and she likes that stuff. I dunno, never tried that kind of coke, just like the song.

Or maybe I wrote a song for her off the cuff, and she was impressed by it. Not sure. It was "Bonita Senora, How Much I Adore Ya, Straight From the Heart" to the tune of Cupid.
My bad, never write songs like that again. Had so many women getting my attention afterwards.

Note to self don't put such stuff on Missed Connections Craigslist again.

Anyway, initial attraction, of course; afterwards, nope.
Okay, you make a statement that unconditional love ain't real, then you make a story that has nothing to do with that statement, then you confirm the statement and it was just as baseless as before.

Or perhaps you meant that you knew the only reason she had "movement?" was because of the song you wrote? Whatever the reason she likes you for, is not a condition. You already won her over. Conditional love is when they to change you, or offer to give something up if you marry them or something to that affect. Like meet you if you get a college degree. Men don't do that to women, it's stupid.

Oneness
Originally posted by SayWhat
But eventually it's going to be, let's see your place, your car and much do you got? I can be rich, cute, kind, and I already have a big dick.

However, let me ask you a for instance. Suppose she's waiting to see if I get that first part right, get those things, maybe that's why cause if she's with me she doesn't want the relationship to go down hill because I never do something with my life and she doesn't want the heart-break. Why the **** would she get involved with other people while waiting to see if I don't just get independent which shouldn't happen before you're 25, but rich, which shouldn't happen before you're 40.

Seriously? Just wait a little longer than a year unless you wanna be stupid. I have plans none of them are living changing within the next year. Pretty close though.

Bentley

Wonder Man
Jesus say's his Yoke is light and to take it up. To put your trust in Him.
Unconditonal love happens.

meep-meep
It's a beautiful idea, but sadly I don't think it exists.

Shabazz916
not anymore... social media and the media has created a system where everybody judges everybody

Tattoos N Scars
I look at my son all the time and know unconditional love exists. I'd trade my life for his if I had to.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
I look at my son all the time and know unconditional love exists. I'd trade my life for his if I had to. I'd trade it for mine too. Your son and I are very alike that way.

red g jacks
no

Tattoos N Scars
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I'd trade it for mine too. Your son and I are very alike that way.

The difference is I would not make that option available to you.

Stoic
No it does not exist. If it did we would never want to change our spouses, or significant others. It may be possible for an infant to love unconditionally though, but the moment that they mature enough, and realize that they have wants, and needs, things become very conditional.

Tattoos N Scars
I believe unconditional love has the best chance of happening with parent/child relationship. If you're worth anything as a parent, you place the child's needs above your own. You still love them regardless of the trounle they may get into. You love them even if they curse you.

It may be possible to love a spouse unconditionally. It would have to be your soulmate though, a Notebook kind of love, if it exists.

Stoic
I believe unconditional love has the best chance of happening with parent/child relationship. If you're worth anything as a parent, you place the child's needs above your own. You still love them regardless of the trounle they may get into. You love them even if they curse you.

It may be possible to love a spouse unconditionally. It would have to be your soulmate though, a Notebook kind of love, if it exists.

You seem like a romantic from what you wrote. I really don't believe that a person can be a soul mate, but more to the tune of a sole mate, or someone that helps you through this life, which would be a help mate. There will always be conditions, because in order for you to live harmoniously with someone, you would have to have arguments in order to learn each others boundaries. The idea that a person that could get along with another unconditionally is in my belief a myth. You have to change in order to successfully integrate with another persons ideals, and they would have to change to fit yours. Children grow up, and become rebellious. If you give your child everything that their heart desires, you will tend to raise a spoiled brat. Unconditional means without condition, and that simply doesn't exist between 2 people. I mean, it's difficult enough to even love ourselves unconditionally.

Lord Lucien
The difference is I would not make that option available to you. Your kid might though. Can never tell what the little blighters are up to.

Oneness
The only conditional love is that which is enacted for an individual's direct survival. Like a man rescuing a woman at the expense of his life, a woman lifting up a car to save her child. Parent's nursing their children in general. There's a part of the brain designed just for that sort of thing, so that life could continue when our brains evolved before our radically implemented machinations and developed technologies and scientific sophistication made those regions of our minds obsolete.

Other than that, it's either compromise, infatuation, or the work of God.

Infatuation is the only thing one can guarantee, if one can both aesthetically appeal to another's sensual satisfactory and qualify as meeting that certain individual's emotional needs. Please keep in mind that all human beings share commonalities in those preferential regards. Compromise never ends well and is far more difficult than shaping yourself to infatuate others of the opposite gender (assuming we're all heterosexual or more heterosexual in our bisexuality ) through your lifestyle choices.

riv6672
Originally posted by atv2
Growing up I was taught about unconditional love but I always questioned it because humanity on a whole is fragile when it comes to loving people. We are extremely conditional when it comes to love. If people hurt the other it is convenient to break the relationship and not see the other again. Even in the new testament, Christ laid conditions on the people saying that if we were to love him we should keep his commandments or if someone was to put their hand to the plow and turns back is not worthy of the kingdom. There is still a Hell that exist so it matters to God that we are obedient to his words. It matters what we do and it matters who we are in the eyes of God. I've been trying to discover what unconditional love is and I'm still learning. Does anyone believe that unconditional love exists?
Get a dog. You will believe in unconditional love.

Reflassshh
I love those around me unconditionally. I'm the new messiah.

Greatest I am
Originally posted by Wonder Man
Jesus say's his Yoke is light and to take it up. To put your trust in Him.
Unconditonal love happens.

But you just said you had to put your trust in Jesus. That is a condition is it not?

Regards
DL

Jmanghan
I love my dog unconditionally.

If I have children, I will love them unconditionally.

Greatest I am
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I love my dog unconditionally.

If I have children, I will love them unconditionally.

Will you love your dog if it kills your child?

Will you love your male child if he will not stop raping your girl child?

Regards
DL

Darth Truculent
When you're willing to do anything for her. Sacrifice everything. When all your thoughts are for her. Hormones are a part of it yes, but there is the emotional connection that is there. When she hurts, you hurt. When you hurt, she hurts. It's hard to explain until you've felt the power. Being in the presence is so intoxicating that it is like a drug.

For those who have felt it . . . we all have felt it's power.

This might explain:
https://youtu.be/lORcpT89t9c

Surtur
For me I just think since humans aren't perfect they can never love someone unconditionally. I actually do believe in soul mates though. Or I guess for me..I just hope they exist. I thought my first girlfriend was my soul mate..but I was wrong. The current person I am with I don't try to think about things like that. I admit I'm very cynical due to being cheated on in past relationships. That baggage unfortunately carried over to the current girl I'm with. Of course she has some baggage of her own and is a cop and kind of..um, corrupt-ish.

Here is a question though about those talking about parents loving kids unconditionally: you have 2 kids, one brutally rapes and murders the other. You still loving that one kid?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Surtur
For me I just think since humans aren't perfect they can never love someone unconditionally. I actually do believe in soul mates though. Or I guess for me..I just hope they exist. I thought my first girlfriend was my soul mate..but I was wrong. The current person I am with I don't try to think about things like that. I admit I'm very cynical due to being cheated on in past relationships. That baggage unfortunately carried over to the current girl I'm with. Of course she has some baggage of her own and is a cop and kind of..um, corrupt-ish. The ramblings of a madman.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Greatest I am
Will you love your dog if it kills your child?

Will you love your male child if he will not stop raping your girl child?

Regards
DL I'd try to get my male child help, however I'd also probably beat his ass. You have to be messed up in the head to rape someone, especially your own sister.

Surtur
The ramblings of a madman.

Well yes women tend to drive men crazy..

I'd try to get my male child help, however I'd also probably beat his ass. You have to be messed up in the head to rape someone, especially your own sister.

If you loved him without condition then why are you beating his ass?

Greatest I am
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
When you're willing to do anything for her. Sacrifice everything. When all your thoughts are for her. Hormones are a part of it yes, but there is the emotional connection that is there. When she hurts, you hurt. When you hurt, she hurts. It's hard to explain until you've felt the power. Being in the presence is so intoxicating that it is like a drug.

For those who have felt it . . . we all have felt it's power.

This might explain:
https://youtu.be/lORcpT89t9c

Sure. When reciprocity exists. When love is not returned, yours dies.

One cannot love alone.

I think that is a song lyric as well.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
I'd try to get my male child help, however I'd also probably beat his ass. You have to be messed up in the head to rape someone, especially your own sister.

He will likely hate you.

Please read what I put above or reciprocity and love being dead without it.

Regards
DL

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Greatest I am
He will likely hate you.

Please read what I put above or reciprocity and love being dead without it.

Regards
DL

He should realize what he did was wrong.

I mean, thats just messed up.

The MISTER
Originally posted by Stoic
You seem like a romantic from what you wrote. I really don't believe that a person can be a soul mate, but more to the tune of a sole mate, or someone that helps you through this life, which would be a help mate. There will always be conditions, because in order for you to live harmoniously with someone, you would have to have arguments in order to learn each others boundaries. The idea that a person that could get along with another unconditionally is in my belief a myth. You have to change in order to successfully integrate with another persons ideals, and they would have to change to fit yours. Children grow up, and become rebellious. If you give your child everything that their heart desires, you will tend to raise a spoiled brat. Unconditional means without condition, and that simply doesn't exist between 2 people. I mean, it's difficult enough to even love ourselves unconditionally. If you have love for a dead human isn't that unconditional? Technically they can't meet any condition at all and despite that they are loved anyway. I think you and some others are taking the idea of unconditional love and equating it with infinite love. A finite being cannot do anything indefinitely, this much we know, and the OP appears to be referring to humans on this plane of existence instead of immortal spirits. Unconditional love definitely exists because some humans are simply more extreme than others and we have evidence of this. Some humans will love a person that is torturing them in extreme instances. It is much more common for a human to love somebody that shows them love and shares many beliefs and values with them. If one human loves another DESPITE ANYTHING THAT PERSON DOES, then unconditional love exists.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.