Anakin ROTS vs. Darth Maul (SOD)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
Force, sabers, all out

FreshestSlice
Anakin.

Nalaniel
Anakin.

DARTH POWER
Anakin's inconsistent. He certainly can get too powerful for Maul to handle. But on an average day It'd probably be quiet even tbh. Especially when we consider Maul's superior Tk abilities.

carthage
Anakin

NTJack0
Anakin.

Marco1907
Against TPM Maul, RotS Anakin wins but not more than 8-10.

Against TCW Maul, Maul wins decisively.

FreshestSlice
Maul can't compete with his furnace heart, bro.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Maul can't compete with his furnace heart, bro.

But Obi-Wan could?

I certainly don't see Maul decisively beating Anakin like Marco1907 suggests. But on any given day I definitely see it being an awesome fight. Especially given Maul's "consistently" superior TK showings.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
But Obi-Wan could?

I certainly don't see Maul decisively beating Anakin like Marco1907 suggests. But on any given day I definitely see it being an awesome fight. Especially given Maul's "consistently" superior TK showings.
I was joking, but Anakin didn't fight Obi-Wan the same way he fought Dooku. Especially towards the end. Against Maul, it's definitely sans morals, all out, at his best, for a forum duel anyway.

DARTH POWER
I was joking, but Anakin didn't fight Obi-Wan the same way he fought Dooku. Especially towards the end. Against Maul, it's definitely sans morals, all out, at his best, for a forum duel anyway.

Well the OP does say ROTS Anakin. And let's face it, ROTS didn't just show Anakin beating Dooku. It showed Dooku handling Anakin and Kenobi at the same time. It showed Anakin and Obi-Wan fighting each other equally for minutes on end.

At the peak of his power/abilities I'm sure Anakin would trounce Maul. But on any given day I personally think it would be quite even.

FreshestSlice
RotS showed Anakin destroying Dooku. Even in the movie. The novel makes it seem that Anakin is dominating the entire duel. And then ending the duel in an instant just because he wanted to. erm

DARTH POWER
RotS showed Anakin destroying Dooku. Even in the movie. The novel makes it seem that Anakin is dominating the entire duel. And then ending the duel in an instant just because he wanted to. erm

I know that, but you seem to be missing my point. Which is that's not all that happened in ROTS.

What also happened?

1. Dooku (in the same fight mind you) handled both Kenobi and Skywalker together at one point. Choking Kenobi while flooring Skywalker. Skywalker was floored for a good 10 seconds btw, so if not for Kenobi that may have been an opportunity for Dooku to end Skywalker.

2. Skywalker fought evenly against Kenobi for several minutes.

So again like I've said a couple of times now, IF Skywalker is able to unleash his full power on Maul then Anakin tools Maul. However on any random day/moment, chances are this would be a damn good fight, seen as Maul is more consistent in his performances. Especially with his TK Showings.

Really not sure what you're arguing against here.

Marco1907
Anakin only defeated Tyranus via djem-so maneuvers which is only weaknesses of Dooku. Also Anakin lost to Dooku twice in TCW as well.

The reason I see Maul beats Anakin decisively is; Anakin has no tool to defeat Maul unlike the situation that he used his physical advantage & djem-so skills against Tyranus.

Tyranus was still better than Anakin in RotS.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Marco1907
Anakin only defeated Tyranus via djem-so maneuvers which is only weaknesses of Dooku.

mad

Marco1907
@darth power

Don't you agree that Tyranus was more powerful than Anakin in RotS ?

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Marco1907
@darth power

Don't you agree that Tyranus was more powerful than Anakin in RotS ?

I think he's above Anakin on a consistent basis.

TCW shows Anakin can give him trouble even in a one on one. And I believe Anakin can channel that extra power with which he's capable of defeating Dooku (as per ROTS film and novel).

But more times than not Dooku will win decisively or at least barely edge him out Imho.

Arhael
He fought better against Kenobi than against Dooku. Compare choreography.

Emperordmb
The Anakin and Obi-wan duo seems to underperform quite a bit for some reason. Especially in TCW.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
I know that, but you seem to be missing my point. Which is that's not all that happened in ROTS.

What also happened?

1. Dooku (in the same fight mind you) handled both Kenobi and Skywalker together at one point. Choking Kenobi while flooring Skywalker. Skywalker was floored for a good 10 seconds btw, so if not for Kenobi that may have been an opportunity for Dooku to end Skywalker.

Even then, Dooku isn't doing well against the pair. Yes both were knocked down, but Dooku's own thoughts make it clear that he is struggling the entire duel.

Anakin is also more conflicted here. Anakin hasn't fully embraced the Dark Side and is emotionally torn, where as in the duel with Dooku, no such conflict. Anakin has no reason to fight Maul the same way he fought Dooku.

Because in a forum duel, you are supposed to assume that someone performs at the peak of their abilities unless otherwise stated. It doesn't really matter what your opinion on what would happen on, "Any given day," is because we're assuming this isn't every given day.

@Arheal:
Spinning more and twirling sabers around each other doesn't mean you fought better.

DARTH POWER
FreshestSlice I will respond tomorrow.

red8
I don't think there's that huge of a gap between the Anakin that beat Dooku and stormed the Jedi temple and the emotionally conflicted Anakin who lost to Kenobi. There definitely is a gap between the two Anakin's, but it's not that huge. Just like SW_Legend said, "a nexus doesn't turn a mook into a monster", the opposite logic would apply here. Anakin's emotional conflict wouldn't turn him into a mook.

I view Kenobi and Maul as peers, with Maul having better TK and kicking and Kenobi having an edge in sabers (based off the last fight we see them in in TCW).

I put Anakin a bit above Kenobi, but not by much. So if Kenobi could beat Anakin (even if it's an emotionally unstable Anakin), then I think Maul can as well.

Depsite this, I see Anakin winning more often then not.

Arhael

@Arheal:
Spinning more and twirling sabers around each other doesn't mean you fought better.
In that case it is good that it is confirmed in The Making of RotS that Anakin was given level 9 combat prowess for that fight with Kenobi, which is on level with Yoda, Windu and Sidious.

ares834
Anakin.

DARTH POWER
Even then, Dooku isn't doing well against the pair. Yes both were knocked down, but Dooku's own thoughts make it clear that he is struggling the entire duel.

Well the fact that both of the duo were knocked down, but he was standing the whole time shows he was doing well upto the point where he threw the platform on Kenobi (which was btw precious time he wasted in which he should have been attacking Skywalker who was still floored and helpless).

Yes he was struggling. But it's not like the duo were not struggling. Clearly Kenobi was, and Anakin also was when he was floored helpless for 10 seconds.

And how much he was struggling against BOTH of them Together, doesn't aid Anakin's case at all. Because the fact is up until that point Dooku was clearly fighting better than either one of them, and even possibly came close to defeating both of them.

He was also edging out both of them together in their final fight in TCW.

So Dooku may always find Skywalker to be a challenge and a threat, but the evidence shows that 90% of the time Dooku is the superior combatant to Skywalker.

Anakin is also more conflicted here. Anakin hasn't fully embraced the Dark Side and is emotionally torn, where as in the duel with Dooku, no such conflict. Anakin has no reason to fight Maul the same way he fought Dooku.

I think you mean the same way he fought Kenobi.

Well let's not forget Kenobi was also conflicted. Though perhaps his Soresu is more able to handle Skywalker's power blows.

Doesn't change the fact that ROTS Skywalker is also the one who got floored by Dooku for a good 10 seconds, while he was simultaneously Force stomping Kenobi.

Because in a forum duel, you are supposed to assume that someone performs at the peak of their abilities unless otherwise stated. It doesn't really matter what your opinion on what would happen on, "Any given day," is because we're assuming this isn't every given day.

Actually no not exactly. We ignore moments where the Character is dumbed down specifically for the plot. Like Darth Maul standing there like an idiot over Kenobi instead of just Force Pushing him off, and kicking away Qui-Gon's Saber just like he did Obi-Wan's.

But we also don't ignore the way characters generally fight. So I'd say for Skywalker it's quite normal for him to get angry and more powerful against Dooku, and put up a legitimate fight, being a legitimate threat to him, but still generally not be as good as the Count. And in that state, I'll probably give him the edge over Maul, but you know Maul's gonna go down with immense effort.

Unleashing his full power and overpowering the Count one time after the Count had already fought and embarrassed Skywalker plus and almost equal opponent to Skywalker, is hardly what I would call the expected scenario.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Emperordmb
The Anakin and Obi-wan duo seems to underperform quite a bit for some reason. Especially in TCW.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.