The 1970's Return For Episode III

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Evil Windu
source

--------------------------

The Official Site Jedi Council discussed how the look of the 1970's ANH design will return for Episode III. Ryan Church discusses this:

There are certain cultures and technologies in this new movie that will reflect the 1970s look. It's going to be a subtle thing, but it will make sense when you see it. To us in the Art Department the '1970s look' is actually just the look of the Star Wars universe during its dark ages rather than the waning glory days portrayed in the prequels.

Dont know if you guys read this.. But if you havent enjoy...

GordonSkywalker
Cool. I am looking forward to seeing a film that is brave enough to attempt a recreated feel of the original Star Wars.

cookies2006
Yes, but any starwars is better than no starwars.

GordonSkywalker
I disagree. It is the age-old quality vs. quantity principle in action young one.

Captain REX
Who cares, it's Star Wars! big grin

yerssot
*Lukes voice*
I do

GordonSkywalker
As do I. Any Star Wars film should be up to the highest standards which is why(I think) George Lucas hasn't cranked them out every two years like other film franchises. Lucas' ideas remain fresh and innovative as with the earlier entries. He doesn't get burnout like the boys doing Star Trek have.

LaurenE147
I'm looking forward to the return of the OT vibe. It'll be fun.

yerssot
*cough*ROTJ*cough*stick out tongue

Captain REX
Got something in your throat Yerss?

yerssot
yes, a bad movie

LaurenE147
How can you be in here and say ROTJ was a bad movie. It was the best of all! That Luke/Vader battle was awesome!!!

Ushgarak
Yup, surrounded by rubbishness...

LaurenE147
If you really believed that you wouldn't be in this forum.

Ushgarak
Yeah, THAT makes sense... ROTJ is considered by the largest amount of fansa to be the worst of the original three; you saying most fans should stay away?

Captain REX
I don't judge the movies that way. ROTJ had the greatest space combat of the original three. ESB always wins it's place as best though.

yerssot
ROTJ also had the weakest plot line

GordonSkywalker
I like ROTJ more than ANH. ESB is a great medium between the two I think.

LaurenE147
No one I've talked to says it's the worst of the three. Most of them have said it's ANH. But they also say that ANH is very good.

Ushgarak
I don't care who you have talked to; my time here and official polls say otherwise and it is well established in SW fan circles that ROTJ is the least well regarded of the three. The only times it beats ANH is when people can only vote for their favourite rather than rank them.

On every 'best movie ever' poll I have ever seen ROTJ has ranked under the other two, likeiwse on just about every serious fan poll, and if you check the many fan sites around the world you will see a large groundswell of criticism for ROTJ. That is the way it is.

Member.
rotj favored probably because it ended a saga. people's mind works that way sometimes.

GordonSkywalker
I don't like ANH as much as ESB or ROTJ.

yerssot
second ds, quick death of jabba, ewoks beating the stormtroopers, ... wnat me to continue?

GordonSkywalker
If you wish.

cookies2006
I myself like ROTJ or ESB. ANH didnt have enough action from my point of view.

LaurenE147
I had to see the rest of the trilogy before I could fully grasp the full concept of ANH. I have a friend who says the same.

Ushgarak
Odd, seeing as ANH is the only true stand-alone film in the whole series.

cookies2006
Yeah we all did the first time we sall the trilogy atleast i had to watch them all. Even though i was about 6.

LaurenE147
That is wierd.

cookies2006
Whats weird? Being 6 or just having to watch the entire trilogy?

LaurenE147
that ANH is the one that is supposed to be a stand alone and it was the one I couldn't understand without the others.

Ushgarak
It's the only one GL wrote to be a self-enclosed story, because he did not know if he was going to be putting the other vague ideas he had into film.

To put it another way, ANH didn't NEED a sequel. It could have been left as it is. ESB needed a sequel, and ROTJ needed ESB before it.

TPM could only be supported by having thosr other three films already made, and opened a long-term plot-line to be used in later films, and AOTC directly starts a plot to be finished in the film after.

GordonSkywalker
Star Wars(aka A New Hope) does work best as a stand alone film for all the above reasons. Episode I is the second-best as a stand alone in my opinion. The others are more intrically connected than these are.

LaurenE147
Wouldn't have driven us nuts, though if we didnt' know what happened in the end?

GordonSkywalker
Yes imagine if we had not yet seen the outcomne of the current stories being told? That would be freaky I think.

CaptainTrips
i think the only thing that made RotJ bad was those damn Ewoks..now, there are many novels chronicaling events that took place after RotJ that Lucas endorses to fit them into the SW storyline..for example..did you know that Han and Leia have twins that Luke begins training while they are still in the womb? did you know that Luke temporarily slips to the darkside? did you know that Boba Fett is not dead? Sarlaak slowly digests its victims over a thousand years..plenty of time for old Boba to repair his jetpack and zoom his way out..no really its true..read kiddies read...READING IS FUNDAMENTAL

Ushgarak
It's all EU. In fact, your statement that 'Lucas endorses it' is very much contradicted by the fact that Lucas has stated that Boba Fett died in the Sarlaac pitt, regardless of what the books say. (as Steve Sansweet clearly refers to in the 'Ask the JC' section of the website) George Lucas approves things in the EU for use in the EU ONLY- that does not affect what he was written, and this, again, is official word from Lucasfilm!

That he allows such contradiction is proof that GL does not regard the EU as official in any way at all! So in the official Star Wars storyline- Boba died in ROTJ. That is from GL himself.

And so, as ever- please keep all EU in the EU section, thanks.

grifta
I can't wait for the movies, I have to admit that I wasn't as big a fan until AOTC. I played the games, and I saw the movies and knew what the movies showed me. But until I read the RPG books was when I trully became a fan.

finti
well the spin off product sure brought new fans to the SW comunity, I tried to read the books but after The crystal star I gave up. I read them in chronological order. I think the books are weak.
I love star wars but only the canonical things about it, enjoyed reading the comics though.

Back to topic the rumors are that the hair do will be simmilare to the ones showed in EPIV

Rogue Jedi
wonder what obi wans hair will look like.

finti
laughing out loud

Rogue Jedi
thats a joke, right? please let it be a joke.

finti
it is

Rogue Jedi
thank yoda.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Evil Windu
source

The Official Site Jedi Council discussed how the look of the 1970's ANH design will return for Episode III. Ryan Church discusses this:

There are certain cultures and technologies in this new movie that will reflect the 1970s look. It's going to be a subtle thing, but it will make sense when you see it. To us in the Art Department the '1970s look' is actually just the look of the Star Wars universe during its dark ages rather than the waning glory days portrayed in the prequels.

Dont know if you guys read this.. But if you havent enjoy...

Yes I bumped a SERIOUSLY old thread. I found this interesting tho. SO who thinks they managed to accomplish this?

I dont think they even came close. no Still seemed like they were waaaaay ahead technology-wise in the storyline compared to the OT.

Ogami Itto
70's????? ROTS????? right then.

Sadako of Girth
The Tantive 4 (IF it actually WAS the T4) looked a bit advanced compared to its 1977 counterpart... All the luminescent blue trimmings on the hull and the PT looking displays in the cockpit and stuff...
The hallways still looked faithful, but the exterior shots made me wonder if it was actually meant to BE the blockade runner of ANH or not.
(There were plenty of these ships-as seen in ROTJ)

Of course...Thje more advanced features in the cockpit etc could've been there in ANH, but we dont see them...

Even the stuff on Mustafar looked as advanced as anything we see in OT
especially with all this blue forcefield projector stuff and the lava droids
etc...

At least the imperial uniforms and technology seemed to be wrapping round, and the haircuts were starting to merge with the epIV look..
I think the Seperatist droid armys were the biggest offenders in making ep3 look more advanced than 4...

If I was GL, I'd have started making the visual transition in ep2 as the transition being quite large between 2 and 3 (Only 3 yrs) would've made more sense for me over 10 yrs between TPM and AOTC....

The second half of the movie (as GL aimed for) was more 70's-ish in design than the 1st half at least...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.