Greatest Villain???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carver9
Who would you rate as the greatest Villain of all time? Please don't use any PC characters.

The character that you knew something crazy was going to happen when he showed up and he lived for it...never got disappointed over his/her showing.

Try to make a 1-5 list...1 being the best.

pym-ftw
Ultron (Biased)
Surtur
Mr. Freeze
Kingpin
Dr. Doom

maxivitopowe
Shaw

golem370
Venom
Carnage
Lizard

Inhuman
Codpiece

http://i.imgur.com/5hOB0DX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hBgeRSr.jpg

Prof. T.C McAbe
Rhino

Supermex
Vulture

Supermutant
Black Adam
Lobo
Classic Juggernaut
Magneto
Loki

riv6672
DOOM

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by carver9
Who would you rate as the greatest Villain of all time? Please don't use any PC characters.

The character that you knew something crazy was going to happen when he showed up and he lived for it...never got disappointed over his/her showing.

Any villain(or hero) who stays around long enough will disappoint in some form or other.

ares834
Lex, Green Goblin and Magneto.

Been disappointed by them many times though, but still think they are the greatest villains.

maxivitopowe
Yeah Mags as well

Bentley
Super Boy Prime biscuits

Galan007
The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight! thumb up

Mindset
Doom isn't a villain, Richards is.

Bentley
Originally posted by Mindset

You finally admit Nathaniel Richards is the Villain peaches

Digi
Originally posted by Galan007

eek!

thumb up

Star428
Darkseid.

Star428
Originally posted by Bentley
Super Boy Prime biscuits

SBP was nothing but a little brat. Albeit a very powerful one.

SHM
Thanos. One of the most accomplished villains in comic-books' history.

marwash22
Is there any villain who has done more to their hero than Joker has to Batman?

Bentley
Originally posted by marwash22
Is there any villain who has done more to their hero than Joker has to Batman?

Otto Octavius awesr

maxivitopowe
Otto Octavius awesr
thumb up

Stoic
I'll go with the most popular of all time due to Movies, and other things that may have made them famous. 5 just wasn't enough, so I had to add 5 more.

01. Magneto
02. The Joker
03. Loki
04. Thanos
05. Galactus
06. Darkseid
07. Red Skull
08. Lex Luthor
09. Dr. Doom
10. The Kingpin

quanchi112
Thanos. No one even comes close.

riv6672
Originally posted by Mindset
Doom would like this post.

Estacado
Thanos
Bane
Venom
Doomsday
Darkseid

wuleecat
Sinestro deserves a mention. The sheer level of hatred he had for Hal and the Green Lanterns was beyond a lot of the usual Doctor-Evil-Holds-Up-His -Pinky mwahahaha 'badness' seen in most comic book villains. Like Lex's hatred of Superman and Doom's of Reed Richards, it is pathological, so it usually makes for pretty interesting reading.

golem370
Loki

Endless Mike
The Great Evil Beast

marwash22
Originally posted by quanchi112
Thanos. what has he actually done? The few Marvels titles i read don't involve him, so I actually wanna know... from what I've heard, he's kinda like Apocalypse in that none of his machinations ever really work out.

imo, if you never accomplish anything, you can't be a great villain.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Lex Luthor
Kingpin
Dr. Doom
Darkseid

riv6672
Originally posted by wuleecat
Sinestro deserves a mention. The sheer level of hatred he had for Hal and the Green Lanterns was beyond a lot of the usual Doctor-Evil-Holds-Up-His -Pinky mwahahaha 'badness' seen in most comic book villains. Like Lex's hatred of Superman and Doom's of Reed Richards, it is pathological, so it usually makes for pretty interesting reading.
Three very compelling villains.

Kamahamaha
Joker
Doom
Kid Miracleman
Korvac
Proteus

KuRuPT Thanosi
ANY list that doesn't have Thanos in the top five is automatically discounted...

1 Thanos
2. Magneto
3. Doom
4. DS
5. Ultron

Estacado
Originally posted by Galan007
What about The Breadmaster?Man Eating Cow?

bluewaterrider

Who would you rate as the greatest Villain of all time?

Lex Luthor in the first planet "Lexor" story back in 1963.

Please don't use any PC characters.

sad

Sorry.

Who would you rate as the greatest Villain of all time?
Please don't use any PC characters.

Magneto, then.

I don't know about "never" getting disappointed, but Magneto's appearances were something to look forward to in the 1990s both in the comics AND in the cartoons in which he appeared. Wasn't disappointed when I stumbled upon his 1980s appearances in the comics, either.

Complex, often compassionate and honorable ... and one hell of a fighter once stirred into action.

I'll have to cheat to do that if you want honest replies.

1. Magneto, X-Men villain, 1980s through 1990s.

2. The Insecticons, in virtually any Transformers appearance before the 1986 movie. Took on the Autobots AND the Decepticons, sometimes at the same time, in various episodes.
Always legitimate, entertaining, engaging and intelligently written threats, unfortunate and otherwise non-impressive moniker notwithstanding.

3. Hobgoblin, Spider-Man villain, mid 1980s, especially when the identity reveal was one of the books' major plot points. The action during many of his battles with the black-costumed Spider-Man of that era was superb.

4. Lex Luthor in the first 1963 Lexor story.
(Yes, I'm doing it again. Apologies, but this is a d--n good story and arguably the most truly noble Lex ever appears before OR after the modern era of comics.)

5. Skeletor, virtually ANY time he appeared in the She-ra cartoon. Neither He-Man nor She-ra, nor Hordak could stand against the Masters of the Universe villain singly in these cameos.
Were Skeletor as effective as he appears here in He-Man's own regular series, Adam might not have made it to Season 2.

Aakla
Dr. Doom

golem370
Annihilus

janus77
Jeph Loeb?

My personal favourite is now Namor.

P-Geyser
DR. DOOM Nuff said.

riv6672
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
ANY list that doesn't have Thanos in the top five is automatically discounted...

1 Thanos
2. Magneto
3. Doom
4. DS
5. Ultron
Your list is good, just swap out Thanos and Doom.

quanchi112
what has he actually done? The few Marvels titles i read don't involve him, so I actually wanna know... from what I've heard, he's kinda like Apocalypse in that none of his machinations ever really work out.

imo, if you never accomplish anything, you can't be a great villain. Are you kidding me ? I mean even anyone with a casual knowledge should know he is the most successful villain of all time. Hands down.

riv6672
Hahaha!!!!

Ah, thats funny.

Star428
Rest of my list:

1. Darkseid
2. Thanos
3. Cyborg Superman
4. Doom
5. Unsure about this spot. Too many good villains to choose from. Lot of Spidey's villains are good. Doomsday is good even though you could say he's just a Hulk knock-off. Ultron, Luthor, Sinestro, etc... Too many possible candidates for this spot.

Kazenji
I'm surprised Mephisto hasn't even been mentioned.

Insane Titan
No particular order

Joker
Lex
Magneto
Doom
Thanos

playa1258
Joker
Lex Luthor
Doctor Doom
Thanos
Darkseid

carver9
Superboy Prime
Thanos
Darkseid
Phoenix
Dormammu

marwash22
Are you kidding me ? I mean even anyone with a casual knowledge should know he is the most successful villain of all time. Hands down. cool. i asked for examples, not your opinion; and no, people with casual knowledge do not no Thanos' "win/loss" record.

TedKordJRBOSS
Joker

TedKordJRBOSS
My list is:

Joker
Ultron
Darkseid
Dr. doom
Thanos or House of M Scarlet Witch

Iskandar
Steel Serpent
Psycho Pirate (I really like his name, and his attitude was something to behold.)
Grand Regent Thragg (He is ****ing regal man.)
Ra's al Ghul
Magneto

Philosophía
Joker
Magneto
Lex Luthor

--

Then there's the rest.
I like Two Face a lot. Black Adam. Big cosmic, classical ones like Galactus, Darkseid, Thanos - but they're mostly interesting only as far as the threat they possess.
Then there's the one-shots - Ozymandias, Kid Miracleman. Suffice to say, their stories are far better any of the ones from the last parahraph - and Kid Miracleman is shitpants scary.

DarkSaint85
Either one of the Zooms.

When they show up, you know shit's about to go down. None of this 'noble antihero, is Doom a hero or villain, oh look the Kingpin's wife is dying of cancer waah waah how tragic' stuff.

Ditto Green Goblin.

Void.

quanchi112
Originally posted by riv6672
Hahaha!!!!

Ah, thats funny. You have a very odd sense of humor.

riv6672
I know, right? thumb up

quanchi112
cool. i asked for examples, not your opinion; and no, people with casual knowledge do not no Thanos' "win/loss" record. Cosmic cube, acquiring the infinity gems, obliterating half the universe, helping saving the universe from Magus, Goddess, acquiring the heart of the universe and saving all of reality which the supreme being was unable to do on his own, successfully brought about the destruction of the cancerverse. Need I go on ?

These feats aren't all of his accomplishments but also the fact he operates at the highest scale of villainy in the marvel universe.

Odekahn
Ultron

Bentley
Cosmic cube, acquiring the infinity gems, obliterating half the universe, helping saving the universe from Magus, Goddess, acquiring the heart of the universe and saving all of reality which the supreme being was unable to do on his own, successfully brought about the destruction of the cancerverse. Need I go on ?

These feats aren't all of his accomplishments but also the fact he operates at the highest scale of villainy in the marvel universe.

When Thanos goes omnipotent he stops being so much of a villain and becomes a troubled nightmare. I'd say Magus is more of a cosmic evil when it comes to high level feats than Thanos is.

I mean, you even listed feats of saving stuff as villaneous feats confused

riv6672
Yeah i'd have to agree with Bentley there.
Villainy is way more than just power rankings.

Joker is about as far from Thanos as you can get, in stats. He has, however impacted the Bat Family so profoundly that, in continuity AND out, his "greatness" cant be denied.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by riv6672
Yeah i'd have to agree with Bentley there.
Villainy is way more than just power rankings.

Joker is about as far from Thanos as you can get, in stats. He has, however impacted the Bat Family so profoundly that, in continuity AND out, his "greatness" cant be denied.

thumb up

GroggyGrunt
Carnage vis-a-vis the Maximum Carnage affair. Admittedly, I wouldn't put him anywhere near "greatest", but that entire arc had the "Oh sh*t" factor for me.

wuleecat
Depends what you mean by 'great', and also whether one-off moments count more than careers-worth nastiness. Take Doctor Light flipping out and then raping Sue Dibny, and the effect that has on everyone else in the story. It's not Thanos obliterating planets with the Infinity Gauntlet, but it is 'great' villainy in the sense that 1) the act is shocking and appalling 2) the toll on the other characters is appalling (remember Ralph's face melting at Sue's funeral?) but also because 3) nothing Darkseid, Galactus, Thanos, Lex or Doom has done quite matches that revolting, drool-mouthed, batshit-crazy, sadistic, leering horribleness that Doctor Light shows in that arc. It's not nice AT ALL, but is is great villainy.

riv6672
Originally posted by wuleecat
Depends what you mean by 'great', and also whether one-off moments count more than careers-worth nastiness. Take Doctor Light flipping out and then raping Sue Dibny, and the effect that has on everyone else in the story. It's not Thanos obliterating planets with the Infinity Gauntlet, but it is 'great' villainy in the sense that 1) the act is shocking and appalling 2) the toll on the other characters is appalling (remember Ralph's face melting at Sue's funeral?) but also because 3) nothing Darkseid, Galactus, Thanos, Lex or Doom has done quite matches that revolting, drool-mouthed, batshit-crazy, sadistic, leering horribleness that Doctor Light shows in that arc. It's not nice AT ALL, but is is great villainy.
thumb up

marwash22
When Thanos goes omnipotent he stops being so much of a villain and becomes a troubled nightmare. I'd say Magus is more of a cosmic evil when it comes to high level feats than Thanos is.

I mean, you even listed feats of saving stuff as villaneous feats confused ikr. that's not villainy, it's the exact opposite.

destroying half the universe (if that's true) is impressive tho. However, if it wasn't permanent destruction, meaning it was somehow reversed, I'd count that as a failed machination.

riv6672
Yeah.
It takes smaller comics companies or alt reality stories for universe or even global scale destruction to not be status quo'd.
Not really a criteria i see as being super important to this topic, though of course it should still be a factor. Just not THE factor.

quanchi112

I mean, you even listed feats of saving stuff as villaneous feats confused He asked for feats of the character and Thanos has played the hero as well as the villain due to being a very complex character.

Magus has never been even close to Thanos. Thanos from Magus' inception has defeated him and in the latest cosmic drama between them Magus was killed by the guy Thanos tricked into bringing down the cancerverse.

riv6672
Yeah, all Thanos humor aside, he NOT a one dimensional villain.
Whatever he does there's usually an interesting motive behind it.

SamZED
If we're consider more than just power level Green Goblin deserves an honorary mention, he's messed with Spider-man more than Joker with Bats. A little sample:

https://dcomixologyssl.sslcs.cdngc.net/i/4938/4629/4cdc39b4db7dd.jpg?h=2cbfe387920e834f5fb3d587e4994d8b

galactusischere
No order:

Joker
Thanos
Magneto
Loki
Lex Luther

riv6672
Originally posted by SamZED
If we're consider more than just power level Green Goblin deserves an honorary mention, he's messed with Spider-man more than Joker with Bats. A little sample:

https://dcomixologyssl.sslcs.cdngc.net/i/4938/4629/4cdc39b4db7dd.jpg?h=2cbfe387920e834f5fb3d587e4994d8b
Good good choice.
I like how he became an MU wide threat a few years back. Surprised me, but it seemed a smart move.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.