Star Wars vs. Star Trek

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Merchant
The Trek boards has one, why not us? This will be done in match-ups between factions/characters. First match-up:

Galactic Empire vs. The Federation. Time-period for the Empire is A New Hope Empire before the Rebels stole the DS plans, Federation is after Star Trek: Nemesis. Legends can be used and calculations is allowed for both.

Tzeentch
i"ll just skip to the end and post both of the links to the sites that every single person is going to reference anyway.

Pro Star Wars: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/FiveMinutes.html

Pro Star Trek: http://st-v-sw.net/STSWcompare.html

I use the term "pro Star Trek" loosely regarding the latter site. It isn't nearly as pro-Trek as SD.Net is pro Wars.

Q99
Basically- One is a galactic civilization. The other is a one-corner-of-the-galaxy civilization. The former has more ships which are also bigger, more people, more industry, etc.. The latter has a lot of cool techs, but a lot of them don't apply much to a fight.

So yes, the Empire's stronger.

Taking universes as a whole, the energy beings throw things in the Trek corner, obviously.

Also, going back to Empire vs Federation, the TNG/DS9/Voy/etc. era Trek loses, yes... but, interesting, The Original Series and Star Fleet Battles (an EU made entirely based on the original series and animated series), do not. Why? Well, they fight at warp speeds, strafing targets without ever leaving warp (you think hitting starfighters is hard? Imagine trying to hit a target that never slows down to the speed of light), and a single ship is supposed to be able to devastate a planet.

That's right, early era old trek > late era trek in fighting power.

Tzeentch
What are your opinions on the claims made by the websites above?

Q99
There's multiple different calcs for each, of which both sites list one of them.

I view the high-end 200 gigaton guns as unlikely in respect to many of the showings (if a book gives a number but one cannot point to a single on-screen representation of it, then it's iffy), but I've also seen 50-megaton calcs made directly from the astroid destruction in ESB, which strikes me as reasonable.

For trek calcs, well, the technical manual fortunately gives us a number that's between the high and low showings, so 64 megatons per torpedo works for me (high showings being from The Die Is Cast when a mid-sized fleet breaks up the crush of a planet in a short time, and thus gives higher numbers, but most of the time time firepower is less).

Basically by that, the per-gun firepower isn't far off, but Wars ships have more guns and are bigger, sooooo....

NewGuy01
Star Wars stomps through numbers.

The Merchant
I think the Empire would crush the Federation. They have much faster FTL travel to the point that they can leave the Galaxy, have much more powerful ships that are capable of dealing out Gigaton to even triple digit Petaton levels of firepower, have faster sub-light travel, and better communications. Combined with the fact that they have the ability to manufacture weapons that can destroy planets, the Empire would win.

The Merchant
Alright, unless someone else has anything to say about the first match, here's the next match, kinda. It's more of a question. Can Data defeat ANY Jedi from the series barring a Youngling?

Q99
Originally posted by The Merchant
I think the Empire would crush the Federation. They have much faster FTL travel to the point that they can leave the Galaxy,

Oh yea, that's a good point. It's dependent on how good the hyper routes are, it can be slower going in some areas, but Palpatine was able to make it to Mustifar before Anakin burned to death!

Basically, a trip as long as Voyager's return from the Delta Quadrant should, depending on where you leave from, take maybe from weeks to day, as opposed to Voyager's 70 years.

Not sure about that one, Trek ships can get going pretty speedy.

Yea, this is major smile

Phaser on wide beam takes out most random knights. Or a phaser in each hand.

There's a lot of knights he'd take down. He'd handle Coleman Trebor for example. Stronger knights'll force push him first/be able to avoid/etc., but if he plays his cards right there's a lot he can handle.

The Merchant
I believe they have faster sub-light travel speeds based on Empire Strikes Back. A Star destroyer and it's TIE's were able to chase the Millennium Falcon from Hoth all the way to the Hoth systems asteroid belt. Hoth is the 3rd planet of its system, and if it's anything like ours the distance between Earth and our Belt is 90 million Kilometers. Using real-time their sub-light propulsion actually would be going at FTL speeds, since real time was only around three minutes and 30 something seconds. However since FTL is not possibly, I downgrade it to 99% the SOL to 85%. Even if you want to assume it took an hour that would still be 8% the speed of light. As for Data, couldn't a Knight be able to jump from a wide-spread shot? Also Data's reflexes and speeds should be taken into account as well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.