Real world physics on...FULL POWER!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheLordofMurder
Lets pretend for a moment that comics HAD to obey the laws of physics as we currently know them (no physical object being able to attain light speed for example)...

Who is the most powerful character in comics (Marvel or DC) that could actually exist under these conditions?

Characters like Doom, Richards, and Lex are disqualified due to magic use and unrealistic super science; the same would apply for any character that has powers/abilities/standard tech that violate any law of physics as we currently know them...

Who is the most powerful character that could actually exist under these conditions?

krisblaze
Morrison's Japanese super-hero, with the power of money.

Epicurus
1.The OP is kinda tricky, because almost all the known comic book powersets of characters as low as street-leveller tiers often times defy the very basic tenets of physics. So giving a concrete answer is difficult in this case.

2.There's already a physics devoted thread on the forum: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=573376

3.Surfer or Lantern.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by krisblaze
Morrison's Japanese super-hero, with the power of money.

Lol... laughing out loud

What about Scarecrow?

A crazy guy wearing a mask, and utilizing a hallucinogenic gas seems to be realistically possible...

Epicurus
^Law enforcement agencies would simply get past that using air filters and what not. Hardly qualifies him as "most powerful".

krisblaze
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=424776&highlight=title%3A%28dodge%29+userid%3A55326

For some reason, this thread comes to mind.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by Epicurus
^Law enforcement agencies would simply get past that using air filters and what not. Hardly qualifies him as "most powerful".

Well due to the stipulations we cant go very high as pertains known characters...

And yeah, Law Enforcement wouldnt have much trouble stopping Scarecrow...

Whoever we come up with will almost certainly be stoppable by real life people/law enforcement; the challenge is to come up with the highest tiering character that could actually exist...

What would you tier Misty Knight from the Ultimate universe?

riv6672
Punisher.

bluewaterrider
Bane and Kingpin should rate fairly high up in terms of physical strength.

There are certainly demonstrable effects to performance-enhancing drugs and the like in our real world ...

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by riv6672
Punisher.

I was hoping for someone that could out tier Punisher, but he might be the winner...

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Bane and Kingpin should rate fairly high up in terms of physical strength.

Their are certainly demonstrable effects to performance-enhancing drugs and the like in our real world ...

I thought about Bane and he would be perfect if his Venom didnt cause him to immediately have his muscles bulge out and get bigger; maybe that is "possible" though...almost certainly not to the same degree we see in comics, but I am sure a fast acting super steroid is possible...

riv6672
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
I was hoping for someone that could out tier Punisher, but he might be the winner...
Thank you, but there really is no answer that cant be argued.

Even bluewaterider's pretty good choice can be argued whenever these characters lift something the wrong way, or dont rip themselves up when pounding things.
RL Physics just dont apply in comics.

krisblaze
I thought about Bane and he would be perfect if his Venom didnt cause him to immediately have his muscles bulge out and get bigger; maybe that is "possible" though...almost certainly not to the same degree we see in comics, but I am sure a fast acting super steroid is possible...

Not only that but I don't think it's possible to grow up in a prison and become as intelligent as Bane is stick out tongue

DarkSaint85
None of the X-men, that's for sure.
Even some of Batman's gadgets defy physics. Not to mention his Batbelt.
Punisher is still a Vietnam vet. So that makes him what, mid-60s now (assuming he got out young)? Unless they've retconned it. No way he does what he does.

Mr America is my most powerful guy.

TedKordJRBOSS
Red Tornado, Iron Man, Bane, kingpin, Rocket Red

DarkSaint85
Those guys all violate the laws of physics....

What powers the Rocket Reds/Iron Man armours?

Kingpin's heart would explode as soon as he swung a punch.

Red Tornado - a sentient air elemental housed within the body of a self-repairing nanite body thumb up

golem370
A computer genius with money comes to mind hack the planets system and

DarkSaint85
That's not how things work.

riv6672
Not at all. laughing out loud
I think someone's drunk posting.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by krisblaze
Not only that but I don't think it's possible to grow up in a prison and become as intelligent as Bane is stick out tongue

They have unfortunately cancelled it in many states, but, believe it or not, in North America at least, many of the prisons used to offer both high school AND college courses to inmates with the idea they could one day be returned to society as educated men capable of holding jobs that would give them a chance at a normal life.

riv6672
Bane did mot grow up in THAT kind of prison.

Still his intelligence isnt really physics...

krisblaze
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
They have unfortunately cancelled it in many states, but, believe it or not, in North America at least, many of the prisons used to offer both high school AND college courses to inmates with the idea they could one day be returned to society as educated men capable of holding jobs that would give them a chance at a normal life.
I'm talking about Bane's prison, not prisons in general.

He grew up in a hole in the ground with the worst murderers in the world.

You generally don't become a master chemist and strategic genius there.

maxivitopowe
I'm stuck between answering
You don't

And

Not with that attitude

Branlor Swift
Galactus

Laminator_X
Invisible Woman wouldn't be much different with real-world physics, presuming her powers would still be possible. Things striking her fields would probably heat-up some.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Laminator_X
Invisible Woman wouldn't be much different with real-world physics, presuming her powers would still be possible. Things striking her fields would probably heat-up some.

How would she see?

Laminator_X
Good point. She could probably have her eyes pass most of the light through but let enough absorb for vision. Particularly astute viewers might notice a couple of slightly dim spots when she was looking right at them, while she would see a world of twilit gloom.

Branlor Swift
Cracked did a thing on Sue saying she would bounce to death in her forceful taking any decent impact similar to a car crash. Though that ignores her having the possibility of slimmer shields protecting her.

DarkSaint85
Behold! Lady Cataract!

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Cracked did a thing on Sue saying she would bounce to death in her forceful taking any decent impact similar to a car crash. Though that ignores her having the possibility of slimmer shields protecting her.

Even if she had slimmer shields, wouldn't that have the same problem? Like wearing a suit of armour in a crashing lift.

Or do her shields absorb impact? I never really paid attention to it.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Even if she had slimmer shields, wouldn't that have the same problem? Like wearing a suit of armour in a crashing lift.

Or do her shields absorb impact? I never really paid attention to it. Yeah. Though it could somehow compress and mingle with her physiology or something.

I think so. But that would only work with slimmer shields. She's still loose inside a big shield.

shadowknight
Batman is the only correct answer

Laminator_X
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Yeah. Though it could somehow compress and mingle with her physiology or something.

I think so. But that would only work with slimmer shields. She's still loose inside a big shield.

It depends on whether the force field gets sent flying like a croquet ball, or if it just sits there and the car crumnples against it. If the latter, Sue is fine and the car and perhaps the field get very hot. I do recall her creating flexible fields to gently catch falling people in the past as well.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by shadowknight
Batman is the only correct answer

Potentially the worst.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Commissioner Gordon or Alfred.

DarkSaint85
Poss Gordon.

Alfred does this to Hush:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11/110794/2072193-1743774_tumblr_ldj9seua281qcfhrxo1_500_super.jpg

Sure, Hush gets his own back in the next page, but still, Alfred is what, 70?80?

Prof. T.C McAbe
Poss Gordon.

Alfred does this to Hush:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11/110794/2072193-1743774_tumblr_ldj9seua281qcfhrxo1_500_super.jpg

Sure, Hush gets his own back in the next page, but still, Alfred is what, 70?80?

I was once stucked in Needles California and met this 70 years old Veteran who seemed really fit tbh ^^.

DarkSaint85
Did he take you into his van to show you some GI Joe action figures?

Prof. T.C McAbe
Did he take you into his van to show you some GI Joe action figures?

laughing out loud

No but he told me stories about his job as a mercenary and how he tortured people and about the US government building concentration camps or better said something called FEMA.

Flyattractor
Prof X with out the flying hover chair.

maxivitopowe
Ionic Wonder Man

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Prof X with out the flying hover chair.

The Xgene in general is poo.

Ionic Wonder Man does not violate the principles of real world science???

maxivitopowe
Nope in fact I didn't wanna reveal this too soon, but I am in fact an energy being

maxivitopowe
Lol

Anyways I forgot the OP

I was saying that he does violate real life physics

byrdgang21
Nick Fury

His high level of government security clearance & ranking would make him very powerful off of influence alone. It's more of a behind the scenes puppet master power. But still powerful.

maxivitopowe
He's been around since the twenties though

riv6672
So has Larry King...

maxivitopowe
And do you see Larry king running black ops missions?

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by riv6672
Thank you, but there really is no answer that cant be argued.

Even bluewaterider's pretty good choice can be argued whenever these characters lift something the wrong way, or dont rip themselves up when pounding things.
RL Physics just dont apply in comics.

Sadly this is true...

thumb up

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by byrdgang21
Nick Fury

His high level of government security clearance & ranking would make him very powerful off of influence alone. It's more of a behind the scenes puppet master power. But still powerful.

You know, I really like this answer...

A powerful political figure beats a guy with alot of guns (Punisher) all day long...

thumb up

GroggyGrunt
Are we only arguing that the physics need to be real-world? I.e. powers and some of the crazy tech can still exist, but their use and effects have to follow the known physics of the real world?

Graviton.

riv6672
Originally posted by maxivitopowe
And do you see Larry king running black ops missions?
We're not supposed to...no expression

DarkSaint85
Fury won't work either; he's an LMD, plus, he's that powerful becausehhe's built up experience and contacts over 60odd years, and is still as sharp as a razor. No politician has that.

h1a8
Should we pick characters whose powers are plausible under real world physics or should we pick characters and take away any powers from them that are not plausible under real world physics?

If the latter then I would say Surfer. Many of his powers are still plausible. Some aren't.

dmills
OP said rwp. We aren't limited by what's currently technologically viable/feasible so long as it doesn't violate the laws of physics as we understand them. That's a huge sandbox to play around in.

Stoic
Lets pretend for a moment that comics HAD to obey the laws of physics as we currently know them (no physical object being able to attain light speed for example)...

Who is the most powerful character in comics (Marvel or DC) that could actually exist under these conditions?

Characters like Doom, Richards, and Lex are disqualified due to magic use and unrealistic super science; the same would apply for any character that has powers/abilities/standard tech that violate any law of physics as we currently know them...

Who is the most powerful character that could actually exist under these conditions?

I'm taking a shot in the Dark here, but Captain America comes to mind. Guys like Spider Man would liquefy their bones if they used the amount of force that they do. Captain America is actually pushing the envelope because realistically, the human body can only take so much.

SamZED
Cap is far from being realistic as far as real life logic goes IMO.

byrdgang21
Fury won't work either; he's an LMD, plus, he's that powerful becausehhe's built up experience and contacts over 60odd years, and is still as sharp as a razor. No politician has that.

Too late OP already said they like the answer cool

dmills
Cap is absolutely physically possible minus the suplexes from 2 stories high. They'll have drugs and various biotech available that will allow nigh instantaneous adrenal increases and drugs that allow you to bypass your nervous system's control of muscle contraction for some ridiculous strength, reaction time and agility increases. Throw in some advanced Parkour training and some martial arts etc. Presto... Super soldiers.

Here's what some futurists believe will be possible by 2080:

Cap is definitely possible.

SamZED
Don't forget bullet time reflexes and speed, strength to lift 2-4 tons, jump several stories up, run at 60 mph, prolonged life span and the indestructible shield that absorbs all kinetic energy on the impact yet somehow can ricochet 60 times off walls and slice through a tank before returning to its owner. stick out tongue

pym-ftw
Violates laws of physics =\= unrealistic characteristics.

Luke Cage wins most likely.

riv6672
I cant see any meta being possible.

Even regular guys like Hawkeye and Green Arrow laugh at physics.

h1a8
Originally posted by Stoic
I'm taking a shot in the Dark here, but Captain America comes to mind. Guys like Spider Man would liquefy their bones if they used the amount of force that they do. Captain America is actually pushing the envelope because realistically, the human body can only take so much. Spidey isn't a human. He's genetically altered. His muscle and bone are far more durable than a human's.
Is it genetically possible to have a being that is durable as spidey and as strong? I would say yes.

Stoic
Originally posted by h1a8
Spidey isn't a human. He's genetically altered. His muscle and bone are far more durable than a human's.
Is it genetically possible to have a being that is durable as spidey and as strong? I would say yes.

Unless his bones somehow became several times stronger than titanium, I really can't see how bones as large/thick as his would have the necessary durability to take lifting a train car without splintering, crushing, and or snapping like twigs. Genetically modified or not. I can't remember what the exact amount of pressure it takes to crush a human bone, but train cars would most definitely crush them. However if I recall correctly, 1000 pounds was about the limit. His tendons would erupt from the strain that his muscles fire off as well among other things.

You're going to have to show me where it ever stated that Peter's entire physiology was changed to the point that his bones are no longer enriched with the same elements that the human body is. Spider man would be an impossibility. Sorry.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by Stoic
Unless his bones somehow became several times stronger than titanium, I really can't see how bones as large/thick as his would have the necessary durability to take lifting a train car without splintering, crushing, and or snapping like twigs. Genetically modified or not. I can't remember what the exact amount of pressure it takes to crush a human bone, but train cars would most definitely crush them. However if I recall correctly, 1000 pounds was about the limit. His tendons would erupt from the strain that his muscles fire off as well among other things.

You're going to have to show me where it ever stated that Peter's entire physiology was changed to the point that his bones are no longer enriched with the same elements that the human body is. Spider man would be an impossibility. Sorry.

thumb up

One_Angry_Scot
Originally posted by h1a8
Spidey isn't a human. He's genetically altered. His muscle and bone are far more durable than a human's.

It could perhaps be possible to have someone as strong as Spiderman, as if we gained the ability to pull all of our muscles in one direction we would be able to lift 25 tons. Although that would require some extreme level of transhumanism to actually implement such a bodily function.

But there is probably the risk of extreme strain like Stoic said where certain things may crush you. So perhaps you could lift them. But unlike Spidey you wouldn't be able to lift the 25 tons for long. Unless we modified other parts of our bodies.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
It could perhaps be possible to have someone as strong as Spiderman, as if we gained the ability to pull all of our muscles in one direction we would be able to lift 25 tons. Although that would require some extreme level of transhumanism to actually implement such a bodily function.

But there is probably the risk of extreme strain like Stoic said where certain things may crush you. So perhaps you could lift them. But unlike Spidey you wouldn't be able to lift the 25 tons for long. Unless we modified other parts of our bodies.

Lifting 25 tons would definitely require super science; science thats far beyond what we can currently do...

I have zero doubt that making people stronger, faster, smarter is possible; without ethical boundaries, its possible that they could do it now (via genetic engineering)...

But surely nowhere near the 25 ton range...

Being able to bench 1000 pounds, maybe...given time, maybe even 1500 pounds...but 25 tons is ALOT of weight.

One_Angry_Scot
Lifting 25 tons would definitely require super science; science thats far beyond what we can currently do...

I have zero doubt that making people stronger, faster, smarter is possible; without ethical boundaries, its possible that they could do it now (via genetic engineering)...

But surely nowhere near the 25 ton range...

Being able to bench 1000 pounds, maybe...given time, maybe even 1500 pounds...but 25 tons is ALOT of weight.

Sure like I said some form of transhumanism would be required to make your muscles all pull in one direction. I found a link for it here but I can find other sources if you want me to.

http://visual.ly/40-facts-about-fitness

It's far beyond our current scientific knowledge but who knows in the future what could happen. When it's made possible besides form strengthening other parts of our body we could lift 25 ton objects but in a short time we would be crushed unless we strengthened other parts.

DarkSaint85
Not to mention, lifting anything that heavy would crush itself.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
Sure like I said some form of transhumanism would be required to make your muscles all pull in one direction. I found a link for it here but I can find other sources if you want me to.

http://visual.ly/40-facts-about-fitness

It's far beyond our current scientific knowledge but who knows in the future what could happen. When it's made possible besides form strengthening other parts of our body we could lift 25 ton objects but in a short time we would be crushed unless we strengthened other parts.

Wouldn't you bones break from the pressure, the muscles or the weight?

Stoic
Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe
Wouldn't you bones break from the pressure, the muscles or the weight?

Yes they would. Let's not even get into the fact, that they would burst like a bag of vomit (nuts hitting the ground like bullets). Comics never address things like blood pressure. Using real life physics to attempt to explain comic books, will always be lost in translation somewhere along the road.

DarkSaint85
Not to mention you'd just sink into the ground. 25tons over an area the size of your feet?

Stoic
Not to mention you'd just sink into the ground. 25tons over an area the size of your feet?

Lol. Right. Just like a tent peg.

riv6672
Nice analogy, a tent peg.thumb up
Nothing beats bag of vomit/nuts like bullets.laughing out loud

One_Angry_Scot
Not to mention, lifting anything that heavy would crush itself.

I know that. I did mention without enhancements it would be nigh impossible to carry anything for long. Just sharing a fact as I thought it was relevant to the thread. Note I agree with what you Stoic and T.C McAbe said.

riv6672
These are all really good facts...

Prof. T.C McAbe
Interesting for some might be the possibility of an exoskeleton, it exists already, though it doesn't look like IM^^.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.