Apple Watch

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Immemorial
Oh fck ya I'm buying one.

http://www.apple.com/live/2014-sept-event/

Robtard
You sheep man, you.

Bardock42
I'm unsure whether I want to get one (for one we don't know how much yet). It also seems a bit all over the place. Maybe second gen for me.

Shakyamunison
I'm waiting for the Apple iBody Suit.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Robtard
You sheep man, you.

You bought a computer so you are one too boo.

Bardock42
So, starting at 349$, available early 2015. Still on the fence.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I'm waiting for the Apple iBody Suit.

I'm waiting for the Apple iCock. That's the device you connect directly to you butthole so Apple can f*ck you directly.

No worries: it comes (lol) in a 4.6" and 5.2" form factor.

Still waiting on the special edition: Apple iCock: Black Edition.
http://i.imgur.com/W77VpWC.png

Time Immemorial
Don't be jelly cause I'm getting an iCock before you.

Lord Lucien
iDon't like where this iGoing.

Omega Vision
If this isn't a guide to helping me monitor my apple trees to keep the neighbor kids from picking them then **** off.

Inhuman
Smart Watches have already been out and better looking...

http://i.imgur.com/cvYPnD2.jpg

also this...

http://i.imgur.com/bSqGdkb.png

AsbestosFlaygon
The iWatch is a bust, imo.
I don't think it will be able to compete against LG's G Watch.
Moto 360 could've been the best smartwatch, if weren't for its dismal battery life (12hr/day).

Yamcha
I use my phone to check the time so meh, I actually prefer older looking watches anyway...like pocket watches for some reason have always been my preference.

That is until Apple makes a watch where I can summon a mecha like Big O.

Shabazz916
im not i watch person... so i dnt like the i watch.... but apple prodcuts are always good to me because of the things you can do with them...

Bardock42
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
The iWatch is a bust, imo.
I don't think it will be able to compete against LG's G Watch.
Moto 360 could've been the best smartwatch, if weren't for its dismal battery life (12hr/day).

What advantages do you think does Android Wear have over the Apple Watch?

Bardock42
I wonder how long it will take for Android and Tizen watches to get a zoom wheel...I imagine we'll be swamped with them at CES.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Bardock42
For one, Android Wear supports round watch faces.

Secondly, due to Android OS's open source nature, support for voice calls/VoIP can easily be integrated to future smartwatches (if they decide to add speakers or AUX support).

Bardock42
Hmm, that doesn't convince me. In particular because round watch faces are only shoddily supported anyways, it is obviously intended mostly for rectangular screens (although I would agree that the round devices look better).

And I don't see what would stop Apple from integrating voice and VoIP calls in the future, if they so chose, either. Or, if one is so inclined, to jailbreak it.

AsbestosFlaygon
LG G Watch fully supports round watches, iirc.
It has it's own Android Wear IDK.

Yes, you are right. I had second thoughts after my post but too lazy to edit.

Tbh, there's not much difference between Android Wear and iWatch OS that we are yet aware of.

Bardock42
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking, I really can't tell much of what either of them can do for me, really. I mean it's early, but still, the value proposition so far seems weak.

One_Angry_Scot
The iWatch just looks really odd. It ends up not looking like an actual watch in any way. It's just gonna bomb in the end, they kind of cornered the market with phones but I don't think they will with smartwatches.

Like Inhuman said they have been out already and they are better looking.

Apple need to know they're limits.

Bardock42
It's not like the Android Wear or Samsung Fit watches have set the world on fire either though...

Bashar Teg
It's not like the Android Wear or Samsung Fit watches have set the world on fire either though...

it's also not like apple invented the thing...despite the way they tell it...as per their usual marketing shenanigans.

One_Angry_Scot

Oh sure, but what I mean is in general Apple are trying to funnel their money into a product that isn't going to work. Exactly like you said about other companies not excelling I don't think Apple will by making it into almost not a watch entirely.

Time Immemorial
Apple does have better working products and in this market I think will do better then the Samsung Watch because of customer support. One this is for certain, apple customer support is #1 in the tech industry.

Inhuman
I also think smart watches are gimmicky but only time will tell.

well for one its not a closed garden like apple. It will be the same as the phone industry. The android watches will be fully customizable , and people making aps and such for the android watches will finds clever and interesting ways to make the watch have more uses. The apple one I think will be more of the same as the iphone. Apple will limit you as to how you use it, and include functions "they think" you should have only. But it will sell of coarse because people will think apple invented smart watches. Its like apple consumers are not aware whats happening around them in the tech world.

here is a theme for the android watches . N64 goldeneye.

http://i.imgur.com/2dv9jQG.jpg

Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Apple does have better working products and in this market I think will do better then the Samsung Watch because of customer support. One this is for certain, apple customer support is #1 in the tech industry.

what do you mean better working products?
When someone always says this its usually comes down to the person saying this trying a cheap $100 android and comparing it to an iPhone 5s.

dadudemon
This video is extremely relevant to the Apple Watch:

yioL7MRQvHM

Robtard
Is hating the iWatch the newest hip thing to do?

And the record, I thought it was stupid before it came out. /edge

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
Is hating the iWatch the newest hip thing to do?

And the record, I thought it was stupid before it came out. /edge

I told Bardock the same: I saw no reason for it and the tiny screen is a stupid idea.

it is not that I'm hipster about it, I just thought it was dumb even when there were only Android "smart watches" out there.

AsbestosFlaygon
One thing's for certain:
The iWatch looks fugly next to the G Watch or Moto 360.

To think Apple is synonymous to "premium design" and shit like that (as per Apple customers/fans), you'd think they'd come up with a better design.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by dadudemon
This video is extremely relevant to the Apple Watch:

yioL7MRQvHM

Lol, perfect. That's the best video I seen so far.

Bardock42
I find the Apple Watch to be the most aesthetically pleasing actually. I also like the look of the Moto 360 and the LG G Watch R, but I think Apple Watch will be looked upon more favorably in the long run.

I wish Apple was more clear about how much they let the App Store do on the watch, although it looks like you can make full fledged apps on it. If that is the case I'm leaning more towards getting one. What I always wanted was an app like ReadQuick on such a watch. I think that'd be pretty cool, if perhaps in the long run gimmicky.

I still think that the watch seems unfocussed, so many things that seem pointless, very much unlike what Apple usually claims to stand for.

>Inhuman

You are right that Android Wear will likely be more open (but by no means open as in Freedom) while Apple will assert more dominance over what can be put on it (though currently it seems like Apple will allow a lot more than Android Wear does, still pre-release though, of course). I don't think that's a bad thing though. It has worked for the iPhone anyways, making it the most popular phone in the world.

And I assume at some point you will be able to have custom watch faces for the Apple Watch.

A lot of Android fans seem to count things you can only do when the devices are rooted, and only on some of them, as if that means all Android can do it, yet discard the Jailbreak community of iOS which makes many more things possible on the iPhone as well.

Inhuman
>Inhuman

You are right that Android Wear will likely be more open (but by no means open as in Freedom) while Apple will assert more dominance over what can be put on it (though currently it seems like Apple will allow a lot more than Android Wear does, still pre-release though, of course). I don't think that's a bad thing though. It has worked for the iPhone anyways, making it the most popular phone in the world.

And I assume at some point you will be able to have custom watch faces for the Apple Watch.

A lot of Android fans seem to count things you can only do when the devices are rooted, and only on some of them, as if that means all Android can do it, yet discard the Jailbreak community of iOS which makes many more things possible on the iPhone as well.

I always looked at this way.
If you jail break an iphone it lets the iphone do things "close" to what a non rooted android phone does.
A rooted android is NOT like a jailbroken iphone. A rooted android lets you change even deeper things on your phone like the radios, customized software that people alter to their liking, etc. It goes way beyond jailbreaking.
You dont have to root your android to be able to customize almost anything. People can make their phones look like an iphone or windows phone with no root needed.
Ive jailbroken iphones before. Some time After you jailbrak an iphone they become noticeably slower , lag way more and randomly turn off, etc. Its like the hardware was only made to run a certain optimized software, and if you alter that, then it starts to have problems.

Bardock42
You are right, I'm just saying if we throw in rooted abilities, we should at least compare them to jailbroken iPhones.

To me I feel like you can do more with Android phones, but not as good as with iPhones. I have never felt I could rely on my phone as much when I had Android phones, while I'm in love with the iPhones I had

Inhuman
You are right, I'm just saying if we throw in rooted abilities, we should at least compare them to jailbroken iPhones.

To me I feel like you can do more with Android phones, but not as good as with iPhones. I have never felt I could rely on my phone as much when I had Android phones, while I'm in love with the iPhones I had

Iphones and high end androids are both good devices.
I always buy Nexus phones. The come with the newest android software and are stock. Meaning they dont come with all the extra junk like samsung phones that bog down the overall phone after a while.
The nexus phones have always been reliable, fast, and never really had any problems. I also customize them to my liking.
Like when you buy a new PC, you are going to change the wallpaper and change things around to make it more "you", or a new car, you will add things to the interior, maybe change the rims, stereo, etc to make it more "you"
Apple to me expects you to just use the device and leave it as it is when you first bought it without altering much. As to why the "it just works" thing came from. For people that leave everything "as is" , and dont like to mess with their stuff too much then iphones are perfect.

Bardock42
I buy Nexus phones as well. Or Motorola's Moto line. I like stock Android the most. But I vastly prefer iPhones anyways.

I know Android very well, I've been a fan since before the first phone came on the market. iPhones are just more pleasant to use for me, and imo, for most people. You need an adventurous spirit for Android, and a higher threshold for frustration, neither of which I have anymore.

Oh, also, I buy Macs.

Bardock42
I found this to be an extremely cool and interesting article: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinkee-apple-watch-review

I love stuff like that. People being extremely passionate about their niche, and the nice stuff in that niche. It's like the website The Pen Addict, love that too.

AsbestosFlaygon
I found this to be an extremely cool and interesting article: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinkee-apple-watch-review

I love stuff like that. People being extremely passionate about their niche, and the nice stuff in that niche. It's like the website The Pen Addict, love that too.
Reads like a paid advert by Apple.

No offense, I'm a subscriber of Hodinkee (as well as ABlogToWatch -- I'm a watch guy), but the author is clearly an Apple fan.
Of course, he'll give nothing but praise for the iWatch.

Objectively speaking, the quality is not as amazing as described by that blog.
I can buy a Swiss-made mechanical Hamilton Khaki Field for $300 if I was looking for 'quality".

The design is not even appealing. It looks a bit like Sony's Smartwatch. Some would even say Sony has the better design.

The LG G Watch and Motorola Moto 360 both have versions with a stainless steel bracelet.
Much better than the plasticky strap that comes with the iWatch.

Another thing to note is the battery life.
Apple did not disclose the average battery usage per day the watch will spend on moderate use. Seems shady to me.

Bardock42
I'm sure the guy likes Apple products, but I don't think he is an Apple shill or anything. In particular the second part of his article gets very critical of certain aspects of the Apple Watch.

Hmm, I mean I can understand thinking subjectively it is not that good. But I wouldn't know how to quantify that objectively. What makes you think it is overstated on the blog post?

Like I said, I find the design the most appealing of all smartwatches I have seen so far.

The Apple Watch, btw, does not come only with a plastic strap (only the sports edition has a plastic strap actually). Apple will offer six different styles of bands, the aforementioned plastic sports band, a metal link bracelet, a leather loop version, a leather version with a classic buckle, a leather strap with a modern buckle, and a Milanese loop (http://www.apple.com/watch/design/ this has been mentioned in the hodinkee article, btw)

They have put in a lot of effort into offering 6 different types of bracelets that work with it (and we know that second and third party market of bands will be huge).

Another article I found interesting and cool was this one: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/smartwatch-wars-the-apple-watch-versus-android-wear-in-screenshots/ comparing some of the features and design choices of the software of the Moto 360 and the Apple Watch.

Bardock42
I'm getting more and more convinced that I will get the Apple Watch. I think I would get the 38mm Stainless Steel Space Black one, with a black, classic buckle, band initially.

Chris 1986
dadudemon: Thank you for sharing that video! It's too bad, I have the cheapest iPhone.

I actually want a tiny phone with a keypad. Some are more comfortable than others, and some stores don't sell the same ones.

I've mostly had Blackberry with a keypad. I just changed to iPhone for Instagram and Vine, mainly, and I was able to vote on Rising Star. In the end, I may own 2 phones.

I thought I had a 5S, but maybe it's a 4S. Maybe, I don't have the cheapest one or they don't sell it here.

I'm debating what to do. iPhone is nice with YouTube compared to my Blackberry I dropped. It's not good for typing, though, so much.. We still have to pay the iPhone off, but the new one I want has a smaller price, too. confused

dadudemon
I'm getting more and more convinced that I will get the Apple Watch. I think I would get the 38mm Stainless Steel Space Black one, with a black, classic buckle, band initially.

For what will you use the watch?

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
For what will you use the watch?

I will try using it for all the things that it is advertised. In particular the health and fitness tracking, as well as notifications, will be something I think I'll like.

I'll try whatever apps will come out as well of course, there should be fun stuff.

I'll also use it as a fashionable item I'll like to wear

I don't yet know what use cases I will find, but I think it will be worth it to me just to try out this really new thing.

dadudemon
I will try using it for all the things that it is advertised. In particular the health and fitness tracking, as well as notifications, will be something I think I'll like.

This is a good reason and probably the only pragmatic/logical reason to have such a thing (I'm making the assumption that a person has a smartphone...which I think is a requirement for this thing). If a person has the disposable income, why not? Sure, there are other tools out there that will accomplish a similar task but for far less money but the convenience of having that information on a touch-interface, right on the device, would make it more convenient. If the watch was $50, I would consider it just for this aspect, alone.

Bardock42

dadudemon

Bardock42
The last thing is also why I think I'd like to get one. I was not interested in the first iPhone (I did however get the first Android phone ever), and I wasn't financially able to get the first iPad, but now I should be able to afford this, and I'd like the excitement of seeing it develop from the start.

Because of my work, I can also at least partly justify new tech purchases to keep up to date and research new avenues of use cases for our customers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.