Character Progression vs...Feats/Events

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sin I AM
Not a traditional versus forum match but since i rarely delve into the other portions of KMC I'd like to place this here.

What do you all feel is more relevant to the comic book industry and you the reader as a whole? They are all intrinsically linked however i believe that recently as in the past twenty years ir so both houses have shown a tendency to lean towards feats and company wide events as opposed to progressing characters. IMO at the end of the day the reason why i feel in love with comics is because i loved the stories, i related to the characters and i wanted to see how they would ultimately progress. Although the fangirl in mean loves to boast how Thor took on Glory ( an entire pantheon of gods and won wink ) I'd rather see him endeavor to become the king he eventually will be.

You decide

Trocity
Hulk SMASH!!!!!!!!

MajorSparkman
I would say that while obviously both aspects are important to a solid Comic series, I tend to lean more toward the feats. Some of my favorite characters in comic books are ones I couldn't relate to in the slightest, it was just what they could accomplish that caught my attention and got me hooked.

Watching to see how much more they could accomplish. Although, that does fall into a grey area between Development and Feats.

To me personally, the feats/accomplishments of a character are what catch the most attention and create fans. I generally liked Atrocitus, for instance, because the power he had and the impressive things he was doing with it. Then, he got his heart ripped out, but proceeded to kick some major ass without it. That had me giddy, as a reader, to see such epicness unfold.

All in all, I think feats tend to be more important than character progression for the simple reason that it catches attention. Both are important, don't get me wrong; I just feel that character development could fluctuate and not change the view of fans all too much, or at least not as much as if no major events were happening with a character. You can only watch a character live their life for so long without getting bored.

Khazra Reborn
I like a good slow burn with good story set up, and progression in the beginning and then end with a big epic boom feat fest. The best modern examples I can think of are the Gorr saga, and Superman: Unchained.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by MajorSparkman
I would say that while obviously both aspects are important to a solid Comic series, I tend to lean more toward the feats. Some of my favorite characters in comic books are ones I couldn't relate to in the slightest, it was just what they could accomplish that caught my attention and got me hooked.

Watching to see how much more they could accomplish. Although, that does fall into a grey area between Development and Feats.

To me personally, the feats/accomplishments of a character are what catch the most attention and create fans. I generally liked Atrocitus, for instance, because the power he had and the impressive things he was doing with it. Then, he got his heart ripped out, but proceeded to kick some major ass without it. That had me giddy, as a reader, to see such epicness unfold.

All in all, I think feats tend to be more important than character progression for the simple reason that it catches attention. Both are important, don't get me wrong; I just feel that character development could fluctuate and not change the view of fans all too much, or at least not as much as if no major events were happening with a character. You can only watch a character live their life for so long without getting bored.

But Atrocious lacks depth. He's all rage. Given his history there should be more to him than that. Even Hulk with all his anger is more multi faceted. If i opened a comic and every other page was a fight scene id get bored. Characters should be as diverse as the writers who created them not mindless fighting machines

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.