Your Most Underrated/Overrated Sci-Fi Movies of All Time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Firefly218
For me...

Underrated:

1. Serenity - quite possibly the greatest sci-fi movie ever made

2. Gattaca - When sci-fi was more than just big explosions

3. Dredd (2012) - Saw it in theaters 3 times, absolutely amazing. I'm not sure why it wasn't successful.

4. The Omega Man - F uckin great. Will Smith's remake was good too, but I've always preferred this one.

5. Phase IV - It was a flop, but I love it.

Overrated:

1. Blade Runner - I never understood the appeal. Story sucks, acting mediocre, dialogue bland. Visually it looked good, but that's about it.

2. Matrix 2 and 3 - As much as I loved the first one, its sequels were mediocre.

Time Immemorial
Ditto on your list

NemeBro
Most people hate the Matrix sequels. I'm not sure how they could be overrated.

Lestov16
Originally posted by NemeBro
Most people hate the Matrix sequels. I'm not sure how they could be overrated.

thumb up
Loved the sequels and thought it was a great and thought provoking trilogy

Edge of Tomorrow and Pacific Rim. Probably the best escapist sci film films to come out this decade, but vastly under rated and unseen by the vast public

Overrated would definitely be Prometheus. Many thought it was great and IMO it is one of the worst sci film films ever. Avatar was meh and Time called it the most fantastic sci film film in the history of cinema. Bull phucking shit.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Lestov16
thumb up
Loved the sequels and thought it was a great and thought Avatar was meh and Time called it the most fantastic sci film film in the history of cinema. Bull phucking shit.

Edge of Tomorrow for sure for underrated,

Prometheus was bomb shit overrated.

I said no such thing, what that Magazine said on the other hand I cannot controlsmile

Firefly218
thumb up
Loved the sequels and thought it was a great and thought provoking trilogy

Edge of Tomorrow and Pacific Rim. Probably the best escapist sci film films to come out this decade, but vastly under rated and unseen by the vast public

Overrated would definitely be Prometheus. Many thought it was great and IMO it is one of the worst sci film films ever. Avatar was meh and Time called it the most fantastic sci film film in the history of cinema. Bull phucking shit.

Edge of Tomorrow is definitely underrated.

I don't understand the sudden hate for Avatar. Hating Avatar seems like the popular thing to do nowadays. I loved it.

I actually enjoyed Prometheus. Was a visually gorgeous movie. Script could've been a little better. erm

Time Immemorial
Visually and theoretically great, scripting and screen play, dodgy, I watched it a bunch, guess there was nothing else out at the time that got my eye for sci fi at the present.

Lestov16
I didn't hate it, but unlike Terminator, which was a completely original concept, Avatar was just the same Pocahontas movie we have seen a million times. Calling it the best sci film film in the history of cinema is very undeserving considering the many far more thought provoking sci fi films made.

Firefly218
I didn't hate it, but unlike Terminator, which was a completely original concept, Avatar was just the same Pocahontas movie we have seen a million times. Calling it the best sci film film in the history of cinema is very undeserving considering the many far more thought provoking sci fi films made.

That's fair. Don't call Avatar a bad movie though. Beautifully directed and acted. The story is kinda simple, but its execution was brilliant. Certainly not greatest of all time, but still pretty damn good.

Lestov16
Just like Avatar, visuals in Prometheus mean shit to me if the story sucks, and while it introduced some themes, they did jack to elaborate, not to mention the characters stupidity made slasher teen victims look like Niel Degrasse Tyson, and their blind hunches were an insult to the scientific community they were trying to impress with their themes.

NemeBro
It had a pretty hot scene where a pretty hot woman gave birth to a squid monster though.

ares834
Overrated: Serenity. Yep, I went there. Thought the movie was absolute garbage and I have never understood the appeal.

Underrated: Empire Strikes Back. Technically a fantasy movie but some people (incorrectly) consider it sic-fi so IDK. Anyway there're some people that not only don't count it among the greatest films of all time but actively dislike it... So yeah, criminally underrated.

Firefly218
Originally posted by ares834
Overrated: Serenity. Yep, I went there. Thought the movie was absolute garbage and I have never understood the appeal.

Underrated: Empire Strikes Back. Technically a fantasy movie but some people (incorrectly) consider it sic-fi so IDK. Anyway there're some people that not only don't count it among the greatest films of all time but actively dislike it... So yeah, criminally underrated.

gtfo

star wars is not underrated.

ares834
uh oh....

u mad

jinXed by JaNx
yeah, not sure how Star Wars can be underrated.

A few underrated ones that come to my mind are

Existenz
Dark City
Reign of Fire
Pandorum
Starman

Overrated

Some of these movies i actually enjoy quite a bit but never understood they amount of praise they recieved

Donnie Darko
Equilibrium
Moon

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx

Some of these movies i actually enjoy quite a bit but never understood they amount of praise they recieved

Donnie Darko
Equilibrium
Moon

Isn't that the point?
If you enjoyed these movies, why can't so many others give their own praise?

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
yeah, not sure how Star Wars can be underrated.

A few underrated ones that come to my mind are

Reign of Fire
Pandorum

Personally, Reign Of Fire never lived up to the hype.
I still remember the movie posters depicting numerous helicopters battling dragons...that never happened.

And Pandorum just got too convoluted in plot towards the end.

Tzeentch
Firefly is one of the most overrated television series ever made though.

Firefly218
Nah, I've seen the show in entirety about 6 times. It has hidden gems in its story and dialogue that make it brilliant. And, as a show, it never got a chance to complete its story. So the show has lots of loose ends, Serenity couldn't tie up all of them.

People thought Star Trek was overrated before it became mainstream too

NemeBro
Blax is too dumb to have original thoughts Firefly. So he loudly proclaims the most contrary opinion to troll.

The_Tempest
Firefly is overrated in that people falsely claim that it's Whedon's best work when, in fact, that honor belongs to Angel.

Firefly218
I can respect that opinion.

I'd say Dr. Horrible the musical is whedon's single greatest piece of work. Buffy episode "The Body" and Firefly episode "Objects in Space" come in second and third respectively. imo.

I'll be the first to admit though, The Avengers can get a little overrated. As awesome as it is, it's no TDK in terms of moviemaking brilliance.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Firefly218
I can respect that opinion.

I am pleased. Except for the opinion part; pretty sure Angel has been scientifically proven to be the greatest television show ever.

I'd say Dr. Horrible the musical is whedon's single greatest piece of work. Buffy episode "The Body" and Firefly episode "Objects in Space" come in second and third respectively. imo.

Buffy was my first love and had many high points, but NemeBro correctly pointed out (imo) that it was extremely inconsistent in terms of quality relative to Firefly or Angel.

I'll be the first to admit though, The Avengers can get a little overrated. As awesome as it is, it's no TDK in terms of moviemaking brilliance.

TA was great, but both it and TDK (which is also great) are overrated imo. Hiddelston's a great actor, but Loki wasn't properly conveyed as a legitimate threat to the assembled Avengers whereas Ledger's Joker was perhaps too gratuitously successful (I refer you to his manipulation of post-Rachel Harvey Dent, which is extremely farfetched). And in this genre, a good villain can make or break a movie. So TDK definitely curbstomps the villain department. On the other hand, Baleman has all the depth of a contact lens and lacks the charisma and multifaceted personalities of the Avengers, particularly Stark and Cap.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by The_Tempest
in fact, that honor belongs to Angel.

thumb up

I loved that show. But was frustrated with the way it ended.

Difficult to measure the 2. Very different but both really enjoyable. Definitely amongst the best comic book movies of all time, if not THE Best.

Although I'd actually put Batman Begins as the best of the Nolan Bat trilogy.

Lestov16
I loved the ending of Angel (although I know the story continues in comics). Seeing everyone go out in one final badass last stand was a great conclusion IMO.

I would say TDK is the best in terms of general entertainment, although BB had the best focus on the character of Batman. Avengers was cool when it first came out, but doesn't have the best rewatchability factor IMO, unlike TDK

The_Tempest
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
I loved that show. But was frustrated with the way it ended.

I didn't. Part of me, of course, wishes to see the storyline continue. But artistically, I think the ending suited Angel's overarching theme about the fight between good and evil. The characters fought so hard, changed so many people's lives, averted disaster after disaster, but in the end are bit pieces in a giant machine. Yet despite the futility of their actions, they fight on anyway. It's simultaneously sobering and inspiring. Good stuff.

Originally posted by DARTH POWER

Although I'd actually put Batman Begins as the best of the Nolan Bat trilogy.

thumb up

Has better rewatch value for me at this stage.

DARTH POWER
^ Their final fate wasn't really clear though. I found Buffy's ending to have proper closure and overall much more satisfying as an ending. Still preferred Angel as a show though.

Firefly218
Yeah, Angel was more consistent than Buffy. What I loved most was the theme, Sanctuary by Darling Violetta. It was my ringtone 2 years ago. As far as the ending, I thought it was brilliant. Considering Whedon only had 4 weeks notice Angel was cancelled, that writing team wrote a damn good conclusion. The fight never ends...

Batman Begins is easily the best of the Nolan trilogy. TDK is particularly memorable because of Joker.

The reason I had Serenity in this discussion is because people really don't realize what it is. Serenity is closure for Firefly. Not only is it a seemless continuation of the show, but it's also very accessible to the GA. The fact that it can be an awesome movie for people who've never heard of Firefly is great. But it's intangible uniqueness can only be comprehended by those who've seen Firefly, and have fallen in love with its characters and its universe. So when people who've never seen the show call Serenity garbage, they usually don't understand what it is.

NemeBro
Originally posted by The_Tempest
I didn't. Part of me, of course, wishes to see the storyline continue. But artistically, I think the ending suited Angel's overarching theme about the fight between good and evil. The characters fought so hard, changed so many people's lives, averted disaster after disaster, but in the end are bit pieces in a giant machine. Yet despite the futility of their actions, they fight on anyway. It's simultaneously sobering and inspiring. Good stuff.
Yeah, they fought so hard, and got so far. But in the end, it didn't even matter.

Estacado
Overrated
Inception(phuckin hated that movie tried to like it watched it more than once still think its overrated as hell)

Firefly218
The Ice Pirates is another incredibly underrated sci-fi movie

Impediment
Blade Runner is overrated, IMO. Good movie, but overrated.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Isn't that the point?
If you enjoyed these movies, why can't so many others give their own praise?

I never said people aren't entitled to give praise. I just said i don't understand the amount they give.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Personally, Reign Of Fire never lived up to the hype.
I still remember the movie posters depicting numerous helicopters battling dragons...that never happened.

And Pandorum just got too convoluted in plot towards the end.

Fair enough. Personally i remember, Reign of fire coming out of nowhere. I don't remember much coverage on the movie. I liked that it was a large scale story told on a small scale. It almost felt like an indy movie. I liked the diversity in characters and for the time the effects were incredible. In fact that's apart of why i listed it as underrated. I remember people complaining about the effects at the time.

I can see your point on, Pandorum. Even though i appreciated the story they did try really hard to make it a more psychological horror movie at the end, but i think that's what helped it stand out.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Estacado
Overrated

Inception(phuckin hated that movie tried to like it watched it more than once still think its overrated as hell)

I thought i was the only person that didn't like that movie. I wanted to like that movie so much. I can't help but feel that the writers tried incorporating more into the story than was necessary. It felt like the they took the longest route possible to tell a simple story.

ares834
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Firefly is one of the most overrated television series ever made though.

thumb up

Firefly218
thumb up

Unless you can present valid arguments for your opinion, get out.

Tzeentch
thumb up thumb up

Golgo13
Guardians of the Galaxy>>>>> Avengers.

Based
Originally posted by Golgo13
Guardians of the Galaxy>>>>> Avengers.

Disagree slightly but won't argue at all. Guardians was amazing and it felt more "original." As for the OP

Overrated: The Matrix
Underrated: The Matrix Reloaded. The Matrix Revolutions.

theTANTALIZER
Overrated- Twilight series, Underworld series, AVP 1 and 2
Underrated-, Gattacca, The Thing, Outlander

ares834
valid arguments for your opinion

laughing out loud

Firefly218
laughing out loud

I'll gladly refute any arguments you make. Of course, I don't expect that from an idiot such as yourself. Too bad for you there aren't any emoticons to represent arguments.

ares834
https://images.encyclopediadramatica.es/c/c6/YOU_MAD.jpg

Firefly218
https://images.encyclopediadramatica.es/c/c6/YOU_MAD.jpg

Keep trolling and you'll reserve your very own spot on my ignore list. You'd be the first.

Actually, trashing things people care deeply about just for kicks doesn't make you a troll, it makes you a dick.

ares834
So because I legitimately dislike a show and claim it's overrated I'm a dick... confused

Ok then.

Firefly218
So because I legitimately dislike a show and claim it's overrated I'm a dick... confused

Ok then.

Don't even try that shit. This is the internet. Everything you post is permanently recorded forever. And I couldn't possibly care less what you like or dislike, the way you express it though makes you a dick. Granted, everyone's a dick now and then, you seem to be consistently a dick.

ares834
If you don't care then why u mad?

NemeBro
So why do you hate Firefly ares?

Firefly218
If you don't care then why u mad?

You're a waste of my time

ares834
Then quit responding.

So why do you hate Firefly ares?

Because I didn't find the plot or character (aside from Jane) engaging. But, what really made me dislike it, was the complete lack of wonder which is what attracts me to sic fi in the first place.

NemeBro
Then quit responding.

Because I didn't find the plot or character (aside from Jane) engaging. But, what really made me dislike it, was the complete lack of wonder which is what attracts me to sic fi in the first place. Escapism is one of the most pathetic reasons to enjoy fiction.

You ****ing disgust me.

ares834
Feelin' is mutual babe.

I mean really... Rei!?

NemeBro
I actually have no preference between Rei and Asuka. They both have their strong points as a female.

Shinji is also decent waifu material.

ares834
laughing out loud

Firefly218
But, what really made me dislike it, was the complete lack of wonder which is what attracts me to sic fi in the first place.

Firefly is a western with elements of sci-fi. That makes it grounded, gritty and unique.

However odd they may be, I'm glad you at least have reasons.

Robtard
Speaking of Space Westerns, I somewhat like Outlaw Star, the little I watched of it.

NemeBro
Outlaw Star is a 90's anime darling, only second to Cowboy Bebop in its genre and time period. Wouldn't call it underrated.

Unless you were asserting it is overrated?

Robtard
Outlaw Star is a 90's anime darling, only second to Cowboy Bebop in its genre and time period. Wouldn't call it underrated.

Unless you were asserting it is overrated?

Nah, was just a comment since Space Westerns came up. As I said, what little I've watched of it, I somewhat liked.

I really liked Cowboy Bebop.

NemeBro
What a weeb.

Robtard
Hardly a weeaboo, aside from the anime and food, I really don't care too much for Japanese culture.

edit: Ninjas are pretty cool too.

NemeBro
Shut up. Go molest girls in trains you filthy otaku.

Robtard
Not even going to google that word.

juggerman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.