What do you HATE about Marvel / DC?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Enzeru
Share your opinions on what you HATE about the Marvel and the DC comics / universe!

I personally hate quite a lot of stuff in mainstream comics nowdays...

MARVEL:

- Marvel writers and editors treat powerhouses like Thor, Hulk and many others like crap. These characters either get embarrassed or even beaten by much, much less powerful opponents, for the sake of ... no idea what.

- Many Marvel writers simply don't know how to write team books properly. Ever read a team book for one character only to see that character not having a line of dialogue in 8 issues? I did. Imagine a DC book going 8 issues with Green Lantern being present, but not only doing nothing, but also having not even a single line of dialogue.

- Way too many events, which are not always great and then there are also all the tie-ins, which force you to buy books, you're not interested in in the least, if you want to follow the story.

- The fact that Marvel does not own all the rights to all the characters end up in certain franchises like the X-Men obviously having less support than other franchises, because the profit from these would be less than ... from the Avengers for example.

DC:

- The characters. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the Joker are some of the characters I hate more than any other fictional character. The portrayal of these characters is abysmal in my opinion.

- The stories are not relatable at all. DC stories are often cosmic in nature, which I personally don't enjoy at all. I prefer a more to the ground, flawed universe like the Marvel universe.

- The copy and paste is real. Sure, Marvel does it as well here and there, but DC really, really took the idea of "never change a winning system" to the next level. Superman? Supergirl, Power Girl and to an extent Superboy as well. Green Lantern? Green Lantern, Green Lantern and Green Lantern! Batman and Robin? Batman and Robin, Robin, Robin, Robin, Robin, Robin, Robin, Robin, Robin and all these Robins are still around! Flash? Flash, Flash, Flash, Max Mercury, Zoom, Zoom, Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash, Kid Flash and Flash. When the Green Lantern and the Batman franchise take over 80% of the overall universe, then you know that something is wrong.

- Absolutely unenjoyable levels of unpunished violence. There was a Harley Quinn oneshot in recent history, where she was in a shopping mall and gave away free Gameboys to children. Later on she pulled a trigger and all the Gameboys exploded with entire families getting killed. And characters like these are being imprisoned by Batman, instead of getting killed right away. The madness goes even further that when Nightwing kills the Joker, Batman gives the Joker mouth-to-mouth to revive him.

krisblaze
These things, that I also hate, are things that can't be helped given the structure of the industry.

Comics being driven by sales and not the quality of the work.
Rotation of writers.
Artists who can't meet deadlines, etc.
Price of single issues.
Method of distribution.
Culture of censorship.

I'll write a rant about it later, but for now that seems to cover some of it.

Deadline
Originally posted by Enzeru

- Absolutely unenjoyable levels of unpunished violence. There was a Harley Quinn oneshot in recent history, where she was in a shopping mall and gave away free Gameboys to children. Later on she pulled a trigger and all the Gameboys exploded with entire families getting killed. And characters like these are being imprisoned by Batman, instead of getting killed right away. The madness goes even further that when Nightwing kills the Joker, Batman gives the Joker mouth-to-mouth to revive him.

Wow did not know that about Harley Quinn. Yea that is pathetic what Batman did, Incredible. I'm not sure I've heard him doing that before, if he did do that I think it could be argued that it makes him a villain. New 52 seems kinda grounded in my opinion.

Enzeru
Originally posted by Deadline
Wow did not know that about Harley Quinn.

Yeah, it happened in DETECTIVE COMICS #23.2

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/108566/4101268-1.jpg
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/108566/4101269-2.jpg
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/108566/4101270-3.jpg
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/108566/4101271-4.jpg

That is unacceptable. I can't even grasp how that got written and even managed to get through the editing in the first place.

"But but Enzeru, Harley Quinn is just like the Joker all about random chaos and destruction and that goes to sho..." SHUT THE **** UP! It's bad, distasteful writing and it ends up being even more pathetic with all the ridiculous amount of plot protection and power characters like Joker and Harley Quinn have. They both wouldn't survive 5 minutes in the Marvel universe, which is a statement you see every now and then and that is very true.

I'm not sure I've heard him doing that before, if he did do that I think it could be argued that it makes him a villain.

It happened in LAST LAUGH #6

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/54054/1104669-nightwing_vs_joker_1.jpg
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/54054/1104671-nightwing_vs_joker_2.jpg
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/54054/1104668-nightwing_vs_joker_3.jpg

Unfortunately I can't seem to find all the scans, but what happened was that the Joker said the wrong things to the Nightwing, who then beat him to death. Batman came along and revived the Joker, turned to Nightwing and was like:

"I love you, Dick!"
"I will not allow you to ever go that far, Dick!"
"I will not allow them to take you away from me, Dick!"
"I love you, Dick!"

I was shaking my head and thinking that Batman should have been happy about it:

"Oh... The Joker is dead? Oh my... <_< But that is terrible! >_> Well... <_< Who's up for some burgers? :-)"

New 52 seems kinda grounded in my opinion.

I had high hopes for the New 52. The early ACTION COMICS and SUPERMAN comics really had me interested with Superman doing, what I expect Superman to do.

Then it went down hill and it went down hill fast, peaking in the one scene, where Superman is benchpressing the weight of the planet for 5 days, which once again boggles my mind how that could be written in the first place and managed to get through the editing, because like I always tend to say: Many, many, many innocent people died in those 5 days, during Superman's benchpressing adventure. Superman could have saved them, but he didn't.

krisblaze
^This post was fugging hilarious, and yeah, I agree.

DCNU Joker's at least been portrayed as a genius, and the villain scene there is still somewhat new. I have no clue how Preboot Joker simply hasn't been offed by some of the villains with actual power.

Newjak
So I think the main reason these things continue to happen is pretty simple.

Money

You never see the Joker die because he is a cash cow. Marvel keeps doing the big events because they keep bringing in the money.

Galan007
anyone who thinks the DCnU has gone downhill since conception doesn't know wtf they are talking about. for the most part, the titles have drastically improved over the years.

lol @ saying the entire DCnU sucks "cuz supaman", though. laughing out loud

Enzeru
Originally posted by Newjak
So I think the main reason these things continue to happen is pretty simple. Money
You never see the Joker die because he is a cash cow. Marvel keeps doing the big events because they keep bringing in the money.

Everyone knows that =P We're not trying to justify what's going on here, but to state what sucks in the comics, which might need an overhaul, but that overhaul will never happen.

Originally posted by Galan007
anyone who thinks the DCnU has gone downhill since conception doesn't know wtf they are talking about. for the most part, the titles have drastically improved over the years.

Your argument is invalid on so many levels:

1. I didn't ask you to argument on the reasons why I hate certain stuff in comics.
2. This is about you posting your opinion on what you hate in mainstream comics, but to be honest with you, I personally don't even want to read your opinion on anything, because it's you after all.
3. In our debates you've proven that you don't pay attention to comics and that you rather go with wrong context than admitting that you were wrong, which further indicates that your opinion is generally WTFy.

Galan007
laughing out loud

i forgot: you know ALL, and everyone else is an idiot. good talk. thumb up

Philosophía
laughing out loud

i forgot: you know ALL, and everyone else is an idiot. good talk. thumb up thumb up

Didn't this guy f*cked himself off this board, to never come again?

Golgo13

THIS! Although, I hate that DC doesn't know what to do with the Legion of Super-Heroes. Pisses me off. I also hate that there is no real New Gods title already.

Still, DCnU has been very good and only improving.

Rorschach
The fans.

Q99
Either one- Characters getting stuck on one note and retreating the same thing over and over.

J'onn J'onzz discovers another living martial and overcomes his weakness to fire!

Themyscira gets destroyed! Wonder Woman moves somewhere else and gets a new supporting cast! She also comes to terms with being animated from clay, and deals with a misogynist rival or villain who she outdoes.

Hank Pym deals with the time he- I don't even need to finish this sentence, you all know exactly which one I'm talking about.

Carol Danvers and Rogue get over their mutual past for... what, third time?

I don't want a retread of stuff I've seen, I want a continuation of character's stories, development.

Also the tendency to leave characters behind. Like with the X-students. Normally one or two generation stick around, which is better than nothing, but I normally like more than one or two! DC... well, DC ditched almost everyone, of course, but even before that, replacing new characters with old ones, and often killing the new ones rather than moving them to a new role.

Badabing
Share your opinions on what you HATE about the Marvel and the DC comics / universe!

MARVEL:

- Marvel writers and editors treat powerhouses like Thor, Hulk and many others like crap. These characters either get embarrassed or even beaten by much, much less powerful opponents, for the sake of ... no idea what.

- Many Marvel writers simply don't know how to write team books properly. Ever read a team book for one character only to see that character not having a line of dialogue in 8 issues? I did. Imagine a DC book going 8 issues with Green Lantern being present, but not only doing nothing, but also having not even a single line of dialogue.

- Way too many events, which are not always great and then there are also all the tie-ins, which force you to buy books, you're not interested in in the least, if you want to follow the story.

- The fact that Marvel does not own all the rights to all the characters end up in certain franchises like the X-Men obviously having less support than other franchises, because the profit from these would be less than ... from the Avengers for example.

DC:

- The characters. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the Joker are some of the characters I hate more than any other fictional character. The portrayal of these characters is abysmal in my opinion.

- The stories are not relatable at all. DC stories are often cosmic in nature, which I personally don't enjoy at all. I prefer a more to the ground, flawed universe like the Marvel universe.

- The copy and paste is real. Sure, Marvel does it as well here and there, but DC really, really took the idea of "never change a winning system" to the next level. Superman? Supergirl, Power Girl and to an extent Superboy as well. Green Lantern? Green Lantern, Green Lantern and Green Lantern! Batman and Robin? Batman and Robin, Robin, Robin, Robin, Robin, Robin, Robin, Robin, Robin and all these Robins are still around! Flash? Flash, Flash, Flash, Max Mercury, Zoom, Zoom, Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash, Kid Flash and Flash. When the Green Lantern and the Batman franchise take over 80% of the overall universe, then you know that something is wrong.

- Absolutely unenjoyable levels of unpunished violence. There was a Harley Quinn oneshot in recent history, where she was in a shopping mall and gave away free Gameboys to children. Later on she pulled a trigger and all the Gameboys exploded with entire families getting killed. And characters like these are being imprisoned by Batman, instead of getting killed right away. The madness goes even further that when Nightwing kills the Joker, Batman gives the Joker mouth-to-mouth to revive him. You seem to have a lot of anger. You hate KMC posters. You hate Marvel and DC. You hate people commenting on your hate. Let's be constructive and find something you don't hate.

Or you can let your hate consume you and be my puppet.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/darthbada_zpsf6fe26a7.jpg

Prof. T.C McAbe
I don't care enough to actually hate comics. There are some i like and some I don't. There are also gore comics I find absolutely unnecessary but i don't have to read them.

What I like and what I miss about Marvel and DC.

Marvel: I really liked the classic times, when Thor was talking like he came out of a old book and the heroes were tragic yet still heroes, when telling a story and showing the morals that lead to their decision was more important than feats.

DC: I liked the PC times any Byrne era. Especially PC where heroes were heroes, cheesy as hell yet still good to the bone, insane feats that really didn't matter because it was a perfect world where the superheroes always save the day. There was no gore and the violence wasn't as insane as it is now.

Sure both companies have good stories but I don't like this "realistic and bloody" storytelling these days.

quanchi112
Marvel: Nothing. How can you hate the divine.

Dc: everything. Weak universe where planetary destruction is at the top of the good chain. Need I go on ?

riv6672
Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe
I don't care enough to actually hate comics. There are some i like and some I dont...

Marvel: I really liked the classic times, when Thor was talking like he came out of a old book and the heroes were tragic yet still heroes, when telling a story and showing the morals that lead to their decision was more important than feats.

DC: I liked the PC times any Byrne era. Especially PC where heroes were heroes, cheesy as hell yet still good to the bone, insane feats that really didn't matter because it was a perfect world where the superheroes always save the day. There was no gore and the violence wasn't as insane as it is now.

Sure both companies have good stories but I don't like this "realistic and bloody" storytelling these days.
I could have gone a lot of different ways answering this thread, but this covers the spirit of what i'd be trying to get across.

krisblaze
Like Prof said, it's more the absence of things I love than the presence of thing I hate.

Whatever things I don't like/hate are generally spawned from MONEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY, and some comics' status as a product and not a story or artistic expression.

riv6672
I very much agreed with your initial post. You hit on several annoying aspects of the business.

Insane Titan
Only thing I hate about marvel is weak characters like the Sentry and his unhinged fanboys.

Mindship
I don't like character jobbing.
I don't like feat one-upmanship.
I don't like hero power-level inconsistency.
I don't like complete disregard for RL physics.
I don't like multiple titles for a single character.
I don't like single stories where you have to buy several titles to get the whole picture.
I don't like how expensive comics are.
I don't like Jack Kirby being dead.

Coupla things I do like:
- today's artwork is magnificent.
- character costumes are looking more like armor or like real clothes (ie, getting away from the spandex look).
- I like the occasional rebooting of characters and their universes (this was something I formerly did not like, ie, I was more of a 'traditionalist').

Galan007
Originally posted by Insane Titan
Only thing I hate about marvel is weak characters like the Sentry and his unhinged fanboys. Best post yet. thumb up

riv6672

Mindship

Digi
I dislike (not hate, hate is too strong for anything in this thread) that the most vocal comic fans - and the young fans the big companies try to draw in - tend to focus on the shallowest of story elements. Namely, the feats of power....and little else. This drives writers to focus on those elements, in turn often sacrificing story, plot, and literary nuance. Cool feats are fine; but catering the story to the feats, not the other way around, isn't.

The people writing for "indie" books aren't any more talented - in general - than your average corporate hacks. They just aren't burdened by the same demands, nor are they constrained by years of continuity and expectations that they must adhere to, while simultaneously trying to transcend those expectations.

So that's my second gripe. Even with "reboots," the creators have to maintain "status quo" universes. Deaths are temporary, events have little impact. It's not the companies' fault, necessarily. Status quo sells better than constant reinvention, and even reboots maintain the same "sense" of the characters and stories, even if the details change or are cleaned up. I don't begrudge companies making their money, and doing what's needed to get it. But it's also maddening for longtime fans, because there are only so many permutations to be seen before the best we can hope for is a new "ownage" feat to add to the thread over in the vs. forum.

A great example was Wildstorm's WorldStorm event (and aftermath). It wasn't brilliantly written; more hit and miss, depending on the title. But it was Exhibit A of what DC/Marvel can't do. The world was ruined - utterly wrecked. And...it stayed that way. The remaining heroes had to try to make amends and form new societies along with survivors. It's what Ultimatum should have been, but with even farther-reaching consequences. It didn't go back to status quo immediately...in fact, it NEVER did. It was that way for several years, and then DC folded it into its New52 line, effectively ending the universe. But there was no reset button (looking at you, Age of Ultron), there was no eventual soft retcon until it all felt normal again (numerous events I could name, though Civil War comes to mind), and there were permanent deaths, and more importantly permanent scars, that dramatically altered characters forever. And in doing all of that, the characters had to experience true growth, and unique, lasting struggles.

All this is why I don't really read any comics anymore, though I try to follow individual authors should they pick up a pet project. As a medium, it has a shelf life until I feel like I'm constantly retreading familiar territory. I'm not sure which is worse: Marvel being tethered to too much continuity, history, and expectation, or DC routinely wiping the universe(s) clean so that we can get even more origin stories, coming-of-age stories, and OMG character reveals, all of which will usually be predictable in even an adept writer's hands. Like when Amazing Spider-Man (movie) came out, and everyone was like "Yeah, this is decent. But didn't we see this same thing not too long ago?" It's that feeling, across a whole company. So the best I can do is browse the "good reads no one knows about" thread in this forum for hidden gems that offer something different and compelling.

Endless Mike
I dropped DCnU a while ago. It honestly wasn't keeping my interest anymore.

riv6672
Originally posted by Mindship
Real life can be so cruel.

Indeed.

I like in Matrix 2, when Link says (about Neo flying), "He's doing his Superman thing." 200 yrs in the (Matrix) future, peeps still reference the Man of Steel. I wonder how many reboots that took.

Really cruel, yeah.

Ha, never really thought about that line in the Matrix. How cool!

riv6672
Originally posted by Digi
I dislike (not hate, hate is too strong for anything in this thread) that the most vocal comic fans - and the young fans the big companies try to draw in - tend to focus on the shallowest of story elements. Namely, the feats of power....and little else. This drives writers to focus on those elements, in turn often sacrificing story, plot, and literary nuance. Cool feats are fine; but catering the story to the feats, not the other way around.

Man oh man i agree so much with this.
I've been collecting since 1974, so, i've seen the changes over time. With the internet, it became really clear to me how bad it had gotten.
Flash over substance. Feats over story.
The bad part is, and i think we're seeing it already is the same fans that prefer that are becoming comics creators themselves.
Not going to call anyone here out, but i shudder at some posters on sites like ours ever becoming pros.

krisblaze
The worst part is that Marvel seemed to have a handle on the continuity thing in the 70-80s.

In the Avengers and X-Men titles they had clear control over the comings and goings of characters, and it was always explained if for example Thor was absent.

We also got to see what characters did in their spare time every now and then. This helped add to the characters humanity sort of. I find it hard to imagine any of the Avengers having downtime nowadays... And in contemporary comics the best we'll get is some exagerrated 'party' issue or filler nonsense.

Damborgson

MARVEL:

Crappy art, ruins stories for me. Romita Jr should've kept his filthy hands off of World War Hulk.

Crappy writers being sold as good writers, Matt Fraction sunk Thor's story popularity and wrote some of the most horrendous lines imaginable.

Also, gods need respect. I mean Jesus Christ, Bill, who worked at a Burger Joint, dodged and injured one. Even with mortality affecting them, they were little more than human vikings.

Thor needs to lay down the law more, the rivalry between him and Hulk may be entertaining, but no one in their right minds could argue that Thor can't fry him sufficiently to unquestionably beat him without killing him if he's not into that sort of thing.

Mutants need to piss off. I like some of them, but am genuinely tired of them being that powerful just because they're genetic freaks. /shrug

Deadline
Originally posted by Damborgson

Mutants need to piss off. I like some of them, but am genuinely tired of them being that powerful just because they're genetic freaks. /shrug

Have to admit I don't like the logic of humans hating mutants and not other superhumans. When all is said and done mutants are not that different from other non-mutants.

krisblaze
Who hates mutants but Digi?

X-Men's like the only mainstream title was readable through the 90s...

basilisk
Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe
I don't care enough to actually hate comics. There are some i like and some I don't. There are also gore comics I find absolutely unnecessary but i don't have to read them.

Originally posted by riv6672
Man oh man i agree so much with this.
I've been collecting since 1974, so, i've seen the changes over time. With the internet, it became really clear to me how bad it had gotten.
Flash over substance. Feats over story.
The bad part is, and i think we're seeing it already is the same fans that prefer that are becoming comics creators themselves.
Not going to call anyone here out, but i shudder at some posters on sites like ours ever becoming pros.
Agree with a lot of the above.

Originally posted by krisblaze
The worst part is that Marvel seemed to have a handle on the continuity thing in the 70-80s.

In the Avengers and X-Men titles they had clear control over the comings and goings of characters, and it was always explained if for example Thor was absent.

We also got to see what characters did in their spare time every now and then. This helped add to the characters humanity sort of. I find it hard to imagine any of the Avengers having downtime nowadays... And in contemporary comics the best we'll get is some exagerrated 'party' issue or filler nonsense. Yeah, it's just endless event storylines a lot of the time. The characters have largely lost their humanity, they feel very one-dimensional a lot of the time.

Also, for DC: Superman lifting planets then getting beaten up all the time; Simon Baz - like we really needed that useless character.

Endless Mike

X-Men's like the only mainstream title was readable through the 90s...

I recently covered all of Fantastic Four during the 90s and it wasn't that bad, minus the occasional Liefeldian artwork.

krisblaze
Originally posted by Endless Mike
I recently covered all of Fantastic Four during the 90s and it wasn't that bad, minus the occasional Liefeldian artwork.

Did v2 start in the late 90s maybe?

I'm not 100% on the 90s F4.

Endless Mike
Yeah, volume 2 was the Heroes Reborn stuff (in 1996) that only lasted for like a year, then the title returned to normal with volume 3.

Digi

happy

I'm so happy I'm known for this.

riv6672
Haha.

But not Namor, right?

Kazenji

I liked that run

Jim Lee was great on it.

krisblaze
Yeah, volume 2 was the Heroes Reborn stuff (in 1996) that only lasted for like a year, then the title returned to normal with volume 3.

I was actually thinking of Loeb's run, which didn't begin until 2000 if I'm remembering it correctly.

Need to look some shit up before I comment on it, but yeah, F4 probably had some good stuff in the 90s then big grin

SamZED
I hate the fact Marvel tries so hard to turn everything into movie abominations. That includes comics and their tv shows. We've seen Thor and Hulk have this little rivalry in the movie so.. that's all there is to the characters' dynamics in the Avengers Assemble show. God forbid they introduce some character development beyond what was shown in that one movie. Hence the crappy shows.

Endless Mike
I was actually thinking of Loeb's run, which didn't begin until 2000 if I'm remembering it correctly.

Need to look some shit up before I comment on it, but yeah, F4 probably had some good stuff in the 90s then big grin

Loeb's run, believe it or not, was not all that bad.

Philosophía
Companies :

That the writers and fanboy line becomes blurry.
That the story and fanfic line becomes blurry.
That external factors have a large influence on how the comics are written.
That continuity is not respected.
That characterization is not consistent.

Fans :

Most of them eat anything up, based on brand or importance, not on quality.
Comics that make them think are frowned upon.
Most of the fans on comic book boards are geared towards characters and their status being respected, than on story. Visit the CBR Wonder Woman board, any Thor board, any Hulk board .

I'll add more, maybe.

krisblaze
^phuck off man, I've hardly seen a Thor board but I've seen a hundred rampant superman ones..

abhilegend
^phuck off man, I've hardly seen a Thor board but I've seen a hundred rampant superman ones..
Go to comicboards.com and see it for yourself.

quanchi112
Originally posted by abhilegend
Go to comicboards.com and see it for yourself. Your word doesn't mean much around here anymore.

krisblaze
Originally posted by abhilegend
Go to comicboards.com and see it for yourself.
They both seem equally terrible.

Still nothing that lends credence to Phil's claims of there being a vast majority of Thor boards out there.

Badabing
Anything Norse can't be good. thumb down

Based
Originally posted by Rorschach
The fans.

This.

I don't really hate anything from Marvel outside of how rabid the fanbase can get over everything.

Bruce Wayne is something I really ****ing hate though. Batfamily's cool the villains are cool but Bruce Wayne's Batman is retarded.

Philosophía
^phuck off man, I've hardly seen a Thor board but I've seen a hundred rampant superman ones.. Alvaro's Thor board surpasses anything any other board has ever done, just for the pure abuse they gave Busiek.

Endless Mike

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.