Does the concept of race exist?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
All human beings of all cultures and ethnicities are of the same taxonomic species, homo sapiens sapiens. We have different phenotypes based on the biological adaptation of our ancestors to the various regions of the world in which they settled, but from a biological standpoint, these differential phenotypes bare no clout as they do not affect the ability of a female (of my race) to produce fertile offspring via the gametes of a male (of any race). However the biologically irrelevant division of racial phenotypes has not stopped human civilization from using it as a means of social categorization since it's inception. But of what utility or benefit is it to human society? Is it an obsolete practice that reinforces social stratification and halts the progression of human intelligence, or does it's recognition as a valid social system which classifies people based on taxonomically irrelevant phenotypes hold genuine merit?

This is for college, so no trolling please. Complex answers would be nice.

AsbestosFlaygon
I think race plays a part when we talk about specifically sports or academics.

Those who belong to the Negroid race are naturally superior athletes, for some odd reason(s).
If you watch any basketball or track-and-field games (or games that involve running/sprinting), Negroids seem to have the best endurance and stamina compared to all the other races that compete in such competitions.

In academics, Asians are generally math wizards. Most are adept in problem-solving and analysis.
They also have some advantages in sports.
Asians seem to be the most flexible race physically. They also have unusual high dexterity, balance and reflex.

Of course, as always, there are a few exceptions.
But stereotypically speaking, these are what I have personally observed.

Bardock42
The question one should look into is how much any de facto racial difference in the population are cultural, or whether there is a biological component. I personally believe that almost all of it is cultural.

NemeBro
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
I think race plays a part when we talk about specifically sports or academics.

Those who belong to the Negroid race are naturally superior athletes, for some odd reason(s).
If you watch any basketball or track-and-field games (or games that involve running/sprinting), Negroids seem to have the best endurance and stamina compared to all the other races that compete in such competitions.

In academics, Asians are generally math wizards. Most are adept in problem-solving and analysis.
They also have some advantages in sports.
Asians seem to be the most flexible race physically. They also have unusual high dexterity, balance and reflex.

Of course, as always, there are a few exceptions.
But stereotypically speaking, these are what I have personally observed. Black men and women from what I have heard have superior fast-twitch muscle fibers. Which is why they excel at sports requiring that, like sprinting, basketball, or boxing. Whites by comparison (At least in some countries, most notably Iceland) IIRC have been observed to have greater physical strength and endurance. Hence why they tend to dominate strongman competitions.

As Bardock said though, you have to ask how much of this is biological or cultural. That black man, is he just naturaly built for speed, or did running from the police during his youth build up those fast-twitch muscle fibers?

Lek Kuen
There also other things that we are only recently really understanding like epigenetics.

In terms of is it relevant to society as a concept, not really imo. I think specific cultures matter much more then some broad racial group that has very little bearing on a persons actual life. Where as individuals culture will pretty shape most of their life in one way or another were as their are countless cultures and ethnic groups within what we call races.

Mindset
Totally read that as, "Does the concept of rape exist"...

riv6672
^haha

As to the OP...tough call.
While i can see an argument being made to the human race as a species having been held back because of racial divisiveness, an argument could also be made that our various conflicts throughout history, racial, religious, etc., have advanced the human race. Quite a lot of scientific progress has resulted from humanity's need to fight over it's differences.

Astner

riv6672
That may be, it IS, actually, but its also in the eye of the beholder.

Wonder Man
It's part of the beauty of our species that we develop.

Shabazz916
Originally posted by Wonder Man
It's part of the beauty of our species that we develop.

races are seen the wrong way.. every races brings a special trait that can help the world.. but greed has messed that up.. everyone is equal and special but sadly we can't come together and be one.. hopefully one day that will happen....

when i was a kid i did not see the color of another kids skin.. i saw a friend... but as we get older.. older ppl teach us that some are better then others

Astner
Originally posted by riv6672
That may be, it IS, actually, but its also in the eye of the beholder.
"Race is a classification system used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, and/or social affiliation."

Notice how genetical similarity isn't mentioned.

Clovie
It;s not like I'm comparing humans to animals..

but theretically speaking. in for example dogs.. they have same genotype and they all have same species, but different races accoring to situation development and places where they lived erm I think same goes to cats, foxes etc.

riv6672
Originally posted by Astner
"Race is a classification system used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, and/or social affiliation."

Notice how genetical similarity isn't mentioned.
Not to be flippant but, notice how much that doesnt matter to people.

prassu
Still racism exist in rural parts of india.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
The question one should look into is how much any de facto racial difference in the population are cultural, or whether there is a biological component. I personally believe that almost all of it is cultural.

thumb up

Sure, there are plenty of medical components to ethnicities but almost all of the race stuff is cultural.

It's xyz!

riv6672
Well put.
Combine that with Dadudemon's point about race being cultural, and there you go...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.