Speed feats vs Speed feats

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CadenceV2
I notice a trend of arguments that seem to deal with "character speed Blitz and is to fast" a lot on here. From what many seem to argue on is how to argue speed.

Example 1 is using actual speed feats that are calculable or stated. Example 2 revolves around people saying character A fought character B so character A must be as fast.

Which of these do you prefer? Which is superior in debates in your opinion.

Another section of speed arguments is Combat Speed (speed to fight and throw attacks) vs Reaction Speed (the speed to react to things, but does not translate to attack speed) vs Travel Speed (the speed to run, teleport, fly, Ect).

Do you make a distinction of these speeds, or prefer to view them all as same thing?

Let me know what your thoughts are.

carver9
Combat speed if far superior. Combat speed doesn't equal flight speed. Example, Vulcan has flown through space at FTL speeds but was unable to detect a bullet that was about to kill him. Same with Ironman. He flew with Sentry to the sun but is unable to react to a girl that was ripping his armor apart at light speed. That's why I think 99.9% of the Heralds can not fight at light speed...at all.

CadenceV2
Originally posted by carver9
Combat speed if far superior. Combat speed doesn't equal flight speed. Example, Vulcan has flown through space at FTL speeds but was unable to detect a bullet that was about to kill him. Same with Ironman. He flew with Sentry to the sun but is unable to react to a girl that was ripping his armor apart at light speed. That's why I think 99.9% of the Heralds can not fight at light speed...at all.

Good points.

h1a8
Originally posted by CadenceV2
I notice a trend of arguments that seem to deal with "character speed Blitz and is to fast" a lot on here. From what many seem to argue on is how to argue speed.

Example 1 is using actual speed feats that are calculable or stated. Example 2 revolves around people saying character A fought character B so character A must be as fast.

Which of these do you prefer? Which is superior in debates in your opinion.

Another section of speed arguments is Combat Speed (speed to fight and throw attacks) vs Reaction Speed (the speed to react to things, but does not translate to attack speed) vs Travel Speed (the speed to run, teleport, fly, Ect).

Do you make a distinction of these speeds, or prefer to view them all as same thing?

Let me know what your thoughts are. good thread.

Character fights often hold no water if character B doesn't use their top speed in the fight. So actual speed feats is a must.

In reaction feats, the character must have enhanced perceptions and a fraction of the movement speed as the attack. For example, to block a bullet from 30 feet away, one can have 15 feet bullet speed perceptions and be able to move their hand with at least 1/15 the speed of a bullet. So it does take some degree of superhuman hand speed but nowhere near the actual speed of the attack.
But blocking an attack from 5ft away takes equal reflexes and near equal speed.
That's why characters reacting to stuff from a distance doesn't prove they can react to stuff from close range.

Finally, travel speed only counts in distances within 10 feet. Flying linear through space is meaningless. Anyone can reach light speed if they accelerate long enough and anyone can avoid hitting planets if they are far away enough (they are). But if someone maneuvers at light speed in close quarters then it proves they have light speed combat ability. It's all about fast reaction times AND speed at the same time.

riv6672
I think distinctions have to be made, but, lately they're usually made/not made for all the wrong reasons.
Ever since the 4 Hulks 1 Superman thread, is when i personally started seeing the speed abuse.
Before that, a fight with one Hulk never really hinged on this. Faced with the stacked odds though, suddenly Superman couldn't even be touched, let alone smashed.
It was, IMHO. A desperation move by some, and its just mushroomed from there.

Thats my 2 cents. Distinctions have to be made, for debates to be fair, fun, and interesting.

krisblaze
From what I've seen in my many years at KMC, there's a fairly simple 'ranking' in most people's mind.

- Combat speed
- Reaction speed
- Travel speed

The most impressive is probably just fighting at very high speeds, like the Flash, Superman or Northstar. There's very little room for dispute when say Zoom and the Flash throw down.

Normally there shouldn't be any problem with 'Character A fought Character B'. If someone fights the Flash or Northstar and keeps up with them, then that's generally proof that they can fight at those speeds. The problem is when we're getting into proxy feats. 'Character A fought Character B, and Character B has fought Character C who's superfast, ergo Character A must be superfast'. Which is why this isn't seen as equally credible.

The third then being that some characters can travel fast, and often manoeuver at those speeds. Which this is generally indicative of in-fight super-speed possibilities, it starts getting a bit slippery...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.