UN Conference on Global Warming

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
So recently there was a conference held by the UN on Global Warming, and the surprise announcement was that both China and the USA were planning to set CO2 caps and to try to arrest the growth of emissions before 2020.

Now, here are the two (very big) caveats.

First, China's president wasn't making this statement for China--it was the Vice President, and while it's very unlikely that the VP would ever say anything that went completely against the President's policy or that wrote checks that the leadership couldn't cash, it might mean that the Chinese government is talking a big game without having their head of state putting his head on the line in the event China can't make good on its word.

Second, Obama all but admitted that Congress as it is would never be able to pass the kind of regulations needed to do anything serious about American emissions.

HOWEVER.

Obama did suggest that he'd try to accomplish the necessary changes through executive orders.

At the very least, I think this conference was a step in the right direction that shows that the age of denial is over. Now it's a question of whether we're starting the age of action or the age of procrastination.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Omega Vision
So recently there was a conference held by the UN on Global Warming, and the surprise announcement was that both China and the USA were planning to set CO2 caps and to try to arrest the growth of emissions before 2020.

Now, here are the two (very big) caveats.

First, China's president wasn't making this statement for China--it was the Vice President, and while it's very unlikely that the VP would ever say anything that went completely against the President's policy or that wrote checks that the leadership couldn't cash, it might mean that the Chinese government is talking a big game without having their head of state putting his head on the line in the event China can't make good on its word.

Second, Obama all but admitted that Congress as it is would never be able to pass the kind of regulations needed to do anything serious about American emissions.

HOWEVER.

Obama did suggest that he'd try to accomplish the necessary changes through executive orders.

At the very least, I think this conference was a step in the right direction that shows that the age of denial is over. Now it's a question of whether we're starting the age of action or the age of procrastination.

Here is a nice video on the major political talking points AGAINST global warming (he addresses the arguments against global warming). The only one I feel he does not adequately address is the fact that CO2 levels have been much much higher, in the past, and ice-ages lasted for millions of years at that elevated level. You cannot just hand wave those away, like he did. I still think there are massive gaps in our understanding of climate change and its relationship with CO2. But, the video does a pretty good job of addressing those major political talking points and I think it is relevant to why these politicians are getting on board with the CO2 caps stuff.

OWXoRSIxyIU

AsbestosFlaygon
There is evidence for climate change caused by global warming.
There is no excuse to deny these facts.

Although I should be glad that these superpower nations have somehow acknowledged the presence of this persisting problem, it will take more than two nations to minimize (yes, minimize -- we're powerless to stop it, with all the machination and modernization + consumerism in this age) the further effects of global warming.

I have doubts they will make any significant impact if other nations will not heed to their call.
Tbh, I don't think they can do anything at all.

Shabazz916
Global warming is unstopable... Earth like all the other planets will lose its atmostphere eventually its guranteed look at all the other planets

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.