Jaws vs Lake Placid

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kotor3
Shark vs Crocodile

Location near shoreline. Territorial fight.

Specs:
Lake Placid croc is 30-foot-long man-eating crocodile.

Shark in jaws - is twenty-five feet in length, with a weight of three tons.

Who wins?

juggerman
Jaws

Newjak
Didn't the Croc in Lake Placid pull a helicopter out of the sky?

Robtard
Does the croc have "orca teeth to pull and use against jaws"? smile

juggerman
Croc was taken alive. Jaws was too dangerous to live.

Impediment
Jaws doesn't need to breathe; the croc does.

Fish > reptile.

Kotor3
Sharks are mammals and need to come up for air also. But I agree Jaws wins.

FrothByte
I don't know, I always felt that reptile > fish

The Croc has the ability to turn upside down in water and rotate every which way. Once a shark is flipped up on it's belly it's harmless. The croc also has a tougher hide, claws and tail which can be used as weapons. The shark only has teeth.

Plus sharks need to keep swimming/moving otherwise they drown. Crocs on the otherhand can hold their breath for as much as 2 hrs.

juggerman
Originally posted by Kotor3
Sharks are mammals and need to come up for air also.

Nope

ares834
Sharks are mammals and need to come up for air also.

lol no

juggerman
Originally posted by FrothByte
I don't know, I always felt that reptile > fish

The Croc has the ability to turn upside down in water and rotate every which way. Once a shark is flipped up on it's belly it's harmless. The croc also has a tougher hide, claws and tail which can be used as weapons. The shark only has teeth.

It's tail cannot be used as a weapon underwater. Only on land. And crocs don't use their claws too much to my knowledge. The tougher hide is an advantage tho.

Robtard
-o7nLZWyinI

FrothByte
Originally posted by juggerman
It's tail cannot be used as a weapon underwater. Only on land. And crocs don't use their claws too much to my knowledge. The tougher hide is an advantage tho.

Well to be clear, I didn't mean that they were primary weapons, like how a cat would use it's claws almost as much as it's teeth. But they (tail and claws) will still come into play if croc and shark get into a grapple, as obviously the croc will have it's legs to use in order to push/claw the shark so it gets into a better position.

Kotor3
Nope
You are correct. I guess I shouldn't be doing this while at work.

juggerman
You are correct. I guess I shouldn't be doing this while at work.

You probably just got shark and whale mixed up. No biggie.

KingD19
Placid is bigger to my recollection and can move pretty fast. If he gets his jaws on...Jaws, well all he needs to do is death roll and he's removing a chunk of something.

Mindship
Leaning toward the gator. Bigger, heavier (at 30 ft!), and tougher hide.

FrothByte
Sharks can't swim straight if one of their fins gets bitten off. Crocs survive fine with missing limbs. Shark's skeleton is made of cartilage, croc's made of bone - guess which one is sturdier. Sharks need to keep swimming forward to breath, crocs need to hold their breath underwater but at least they can turn every which way while they hold their breath. Crocs have stronger bite force as well.

Placidity
Jaws was too dangerous to live.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa104/sk8terboy96/MaceWindu.jpg

juggerman
laughing out loud

Newjak
Sharks can't swim straight if one of their fins gets bitten off. Crocs survive fine with missing limbs. Shark's skeleton is made of cartilage, croc's made of bone - guess which one is sturdier. Sharks need to keep swimming forward to breath, crocs need to hold their breath underwater but at least they can turn every which way while they hold their breath. Crocs have stronger bite force as well. Sharks are faster and more agile in the water.

Their teeth are sharper and their bite while not designed for crushing is designed for ripping and tearing large chunks out.

Kazenji
The Croc wins, They're more aggressive

they can also do a move called a death roll i like to see a shark get out of that.

pym-ftw
Placid wins, it seemed to have actual intelligence.

jinXed by JaNx
Jaws took over seaworld and it's hatred for people survived four blood lines. There's holding a grudge and then there's Jaws' philosophy of...,"i f**ckin hate you and am going to make you die no matter what you do to me.". Either way it probably comes down to which ever beast latches it's bite on the other first.

theTANTALIZER
Both on land. JAWS DIES A HORRIBLE DEATH.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Impediment
Jaws doesn't need to breathe; the croc does.

Fish > reptile.

Crocs can hold their breath for an hour or more. Doubt the fight will last more than a few minutes. The only way I see the shark winning is if it catches the croc by surprise. Otherwise my money is on the croc - better armour, can survive serious wounds, more aggressive.

Placidity
Originally posted by pym-ftw
Placid wins, it seemed to have actual intelligence.

Thank you.

KingD19
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Crocs can hold their breath for an hour or more.

And considering the sheer size of LP, it's a safe bet that he can hold his breath for much longer. Possibly 3 or maybe even 5 hours if he feels like it.

Placidity
Originally posted by KingD19
And considering the sheer size of LP, it's a safe bet that he can hold his breath for much longer. Possibly 3 or maybe even 5 hours if he feels like it. \

You just made this up didn't you.

KingD19
I was very high when I said it... but that don't mean I'm wrong. Considering the length of time an average croc can hold it's breath(maximum of 2 hours according to google), then a Croc the size of LP(big enough to bite fully grown people in half and drag bears underwater and eat cows), then his increased size would only logically mean he has bigger lungs, which means he can hold his breath longer.

Placidity
But you are still high now.

Bigger lungs yes, but bigger mass means his body needs more oxygen as well.

Just apply it to humans and it'll make sense even if you are high.

KingD19
I am. I so totally am.

Damn your logic. Placid still wins though.

Kotor3
I definitely go with Jaws. He is unnaturally strong for a shark. He has at least 1,000 to 2,000 pounds weight advantage over the croc. Jaws is faster and has shown the ability to take an unnatural amount of damage for a shark.

In open water this would be a stomp for Jaws who could ram the croc. Near the shoreline the croc would definitely have more of a chance to damage Jaws. Still I see Jaws winning. A direct assault from Jaws should finish off the croc.

RJ 2.0
Jaws rapes.

FrothByte
Guess everyone is dismissing the fact that sharks need to continuously move forward otherwise the can't breathe, and if you flip a shark on its back it becomes immobile.

Few other stuff: shark bones are made of cartilage. Shark's are unable to swim properly if one of their fins is taken off.

Kotor3
How is the croc going to stop him from moving? Sharks are very agile in the water. The croc is not fast enough, strong enough, or agile enough, to avoid a full on charge from Jaws.

Scenario, both charge each other. Jaws using his speed advantage goes under the croc and lifts him out of the water. While the croc tries to regain his self, Jaws charges and bite the hell out of the croc.
Match over: Jaws wins.

Time Immemorial
Placid eats him in one mouthful

KingD19
I've got a scenario: Jaws tries to bite Placid, Jaws gets bitten. Initiate Giant sized Death Roll. Jaws loses.

FrothByte
How is the croc going to stop him from moving? Sharks are very agile in the water. The croc is not fast enough, strong enough, or agile enough, to avoid a full on charge from Jaws.

Scenario, both charge each other. Jaws using his speed advantage goes under the croc and lifts him out of the water. While the croc tries to regain his self, Jaws charges and bite the hell out of the croc.
Match over: Jaws wins.

The shark is faster in the sense that it can reach higher top speeds, but I'm not convinced it's that much more agile. It's not like it's a dolphin. Besides, the croc is able to flip over in water, how is the shark going to attack it from underneath when the croc can just curl up and face down? I assume that in this scenario, both combatants are aware of each other so no surprise attacks right?

As for how the croc is going to stop it from moving, well obviously if they get into biting each other and end up in a deadlock, the shark will then start to drown which is a big disadvantage.

If the shark gets a bite on the croc, the croc can still fight back even if the shark starts thrashing it around. If the croc gets a bite on the shark and then does its death roll, the shark can't breathe and will also probably go into tonic immobility.

SSJGGogeta
Yeah, LP wins here. He's a bigger, stronger, has a tougher hide, and his bite is inescapable here. If he gets Jaws in a death roll, there's not anything he can do. Not to mention that the shark is faster, but LP is a lot more agile, and can snap his body around much faster than Jaws can. This all points to LP's favor, plus the fact that he dragged a helicopter underwater from the air.

Impediment
I've changed my answer to the croc.

Smarter, stronger, and more ferocious.

RJ 2.0
Originally posted by SSJGGogeta
Yeah, LP wins here. He's a bigger, stronger, has a tougher hide, and his bite is inescapable here. If he gets Jaws in a death roll, there's not anything he can do. Not to mention that the shark is faster, but LP is a lot more agile, and can snap his body around much faster than Jaws can. This all points to LP's favor, plus the fact that he dragged a helicopter underwater from the air. Jaws matched the helicopter feat in Jaws 2.

Esau Cairn
Er LP getting stuck in a helicopter isn't really considered a feat...

juggerman
I know the Crocs have bad eyesight underwater. That could play a huge roll here. Unless Sharks also have bad eyesight....

Kazenji
I know the Crocs have bad eyesight underwater. That could play a huge roll here. Unless Sharks also have bad eyesight....

Actually they can see underwater

juggerman
They can still see but their eyesight is bad.

EDIT: Apparently they are farsighted and have trouble focusing on ojects that are very close.

http://www.okavango-croc.com/2011/06/crocodile-eyesight-underwater.html

First thing i found on google. I'll keep looking tho

Kotor3

RJ 2.0
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Er LP getting stuck in a helicopter isn't really considered a feat... Explain?

Robtard
First helicopter feat:

dO8pHmhq7Zc

The second helicopter scene has the croc getting trapped inside, which isn't a good feat for the croc.

jinXed by JaNx
One of my friends brought up a scenario earlier today of wild predators fighting each other. For some reason i thought of this thread. Since then i actually started thinking a bit more seriously on it. I began to think, the Croc has a better chance than i originally thought. Although i still think it probably comes down to which one gets the best bite grip first i think the Croc may have a better chance of getting free from a death grip. Given the Crocs size, hide and rolling ability i think it may be pretty easy for him to get free but Jaws still has the agility and speed.

TheGrat1
Jaws. Heavier, faster, superior underwater senses (can sense eletrical impulses in other animals, superior sense of smell). This is essentially an F-22 Raptor vs and A-10 Warthog. Sure, the A-10 is sturdy, but the F-22 is faster, has stealth, and superior avionics and sensors. The fact that this takes place in the ocean is all the reason I need to say Jaws wins this. He'll most likely just ram the crock from beneath and gets it's relatively soft underbelly.

Guess everyone is dismissing the fact that sharks need to continuously move forward otherwise the can't breathe, and if you flip a shark on its back it becomes immobile.

Few other stuff: shark bones are made of cartilage. Shark's are unable to swim properly if one of their fins is taken off.
Crocodiles and alligators also go into tonic immobility when they are flipped on their backs. The momentum of the death roll is the only reason they don't go limp when they do the roll themselves.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.