Wind Waker or Skyward Sword ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

quanchi112
Which one do you want to see take on Dracula and the gang ?

Sacred 117
Originally posted by quanchi112
Which one do you want to see take on Dracula and the gang ?

"The gang?" (Sorry. Haven't actually played through LoS/LoP; only seen some of it.)

quanchi112
Originally posted by Sacred 117
"The gang?" (Sorry. Haven't actually played through LoS/LoP; only seen some of it.) Which game is greater in terms of a Hylian forces/army ?

The Scenario
There are no Hyrule forces in Wind Waker and Skyward Sword is a prequel that takes place before Hyrule existed.

quanchi112
Originally posted by The Scenario
There are no Hyrule forces in Wind Waker and Skyward Sword is a prequel that takes place before Hyrule existed. Which game offers the better chance to take on Los ?

ScreamPaste
I'm just going to be honest and say you should play WW for the sole reason that it's shorter. And less difficult.

But yeah, there's no "Hyrule" in either game, lol.

The Scenario
Depends on whether you allow Ganondorf's/Ghirahim's forces. They're the only ones with an actual army in those games. As for individuals, WW Link is better equipped to fight Gabriel than SS Link is, in my opinion.

Though I imagine Wind Waker's setting will play hell with Lords of Shadows' forces.

Sacred 117
If we're talking armies, then it wouldn't matter anyways, seeing as LoZ is implicitly a power of individuals.

Sacred 117
As for individuals, WW Link is better equipped to fight Gabriel than SS Link is, in my opinion.

Curious, what makes you say this?

The Scenario
Curious, what makes you say this?

Magic, mostly. Light Arrows vs. vampire, for instance. He's physically stronger than SS Link thanks to the Power Bracelets, and is one of the most durable Links in the series. Plus the Master Sword has a pretty good feat in Wind Waker.

quanchi112
Depends on whether you allow Ganondorf's/Ghirahim's forces. They're the only ones with an actual army in those games. As for individuals, WW Link is better equipped to fight Gabriel than SS Link is, in my opinion.

Though I imagine Wind Waker's setting will play hell with Lords of Shadows' forces. Yes, as it would allow for all characters in the games to combat each other. I was going to do a multi game thread with Tp tagging with one other game in a massive armies vs. armies type scenario thread.

quanchi112
Also which is the better game iyo. Rank the zelda games in terms of enjoy ability.

Sacred 117
Magic, mostly. Light Arrows vs. vampire, for instance. He's physically stronger than SS Link thanks to the Power Bracelets, and is one of the most durable Links in the series. Plus the Master Sword has a pretty good feat in Wind Waker.

I guess you could say that, but SkyLink did have the completed Triforce before PIS.

ScreamPaste
Including armies in Zelda is honestly weird, since as Sacred said, individuals > armies in Zelda.

No, but you can beat WW in a single day, and it is much easier. I'm concerned, given how long you've taken to beat OoT, that you might not be able to handle SS' constant puzzles. The entire overworld is littered with them.

ScreamPaste
I guess you could say that, but SkyLink did have the completed Triforce before PIS. Yes, but he left it behind during the final fight, for some reason, lol. Besides, Quan would have to be stupid to allow the complete triforce.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
Yes, but he left it behind during the final fight, for some reason, lol. Besides, Quan would have to be stupid to allow the complete triforce.

That's kinda what I was referring to.

The Scenario
I guess you could say that, but

True, but quan tends to disallow that kind of thing. Same reason he doesn't want TP Ganondorf covering everything in twilight. It's "unfair" or something, I don't recall exactly what he's said.

quanchi112
Including armies in Zelda is honestly weird, since as Sacred said, individuals > armies in Zelda.

No, but you can beat WW in a single day, and it is much easier. I'm concerned, given how long you've taken to beat OoT, that you might not be able to handle SS' constant puzzles. The entire overworld is littered with them. One spot stumped me and I haven't attempted to play it again in years. Skyward sword intrigues me more since there is no Ganon. I hate the motion sensory crap though.

quanchi112
True, but quan tends to disallow that kind of thing. Same reason he doesn't want TP Ganondorf covering everything in twilight. It's "unfair" or something, I don't recall exactly what he's said. Los has its own ways of easily winning but that isn't an invasion thread which is the sole purpose of the thread.

ScreamPaste
One spot stumped me and I haven't attempted to play it again in years. Skyward sword intrigues me more since there is no Ganon. I hate the motion sensory crap though. Honestly the Motion Plus was crazily well implemented and I loved it, I'm sad it won't be coming back. But meh. GC controller in WW.

quanchi112
Honestly the Motion Plus was crazily well implemented and I loved it, I'm sad it won't be coming back. But meh. GC controller in WW. How long did it take you to play through Skyward sword ?

The Scenario
Los has its own ways of easily winning but that isn't an invasion thread which is the sole purpose of the thread.

I can't think of any aside from the Leviathan, but it's pretty easy to kill.

ScreamPaste
How long did it take you to play through Skyward sword ? Me? Two days, but I can Zelda in my sleep. Most people took longer.

quanchi112
I can't think of any aside from the Leviathan, but it's pretty easy to kill. No, it isn't easy to kill but the invasion type thread we will hopefully later have will finish this.

Which game would you personally rather represent of these two ?

quanchi112
Me? Two days, but I can Zelda in my sleep. Most people took longer. How many hours did you play the game of the 48 hours ?

Lek Kuen
Quan the average time to beat skyward sword is somewhere around 30-40 hours

quanchi112
I am leaning towards Skyward Sword. I just hope it is better than Twilight Princess.

ScreamPaste
No, it isn't easy to kill but the invasion type thread we will hopefully later have will finish this.

Which game would you personally rather represent of these two ? I can represent either if I need to but I don't really care, I'm soured on versus threads right now due to some rather severe calc based Kingdom Hearts wank.

And both games are much better than Twilight Princess. TP is arguably the easiest in the series, only WW competes, but WW's dungeons are much more interesting.

Sacred 117
I am leaning towards Skyward Sword. I just hope it is better than Twilight Princess.

Majority concensus (including the preliminary verdict you already have) would tell you that it is.

Sacred 117
I can represent either if I need to but I don't really care, I'm soured on versus threads right now due to some rather severe calc based Kingdom Hearts wank.

And both games are much better than Twilight Princess. TP is arguably the easiest in the series, only WW competes, but WW's dungeons are much more interesting.

Oh, God. Not them again?! mariofacepalm

quanchi112
I can represent either if I need to but I don't really care, I'm soured on versus threads right now due to some rather severe calc based Kingdom Hearts wank.

And both games are much better than Twilight Princess. TP is arguably the easiest in the series, only WW competes, but WW's dungeons are much more interesting. With Skyward sword being from what I gather one of the most challenging. This is probably going to be the one I roll with anyway. It is the newest and pre Hyrule and what not sounds somewhat enticing.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1&2 vs. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword

quanchi112
Majority concensus (including the preliminary verdict you already have) would tell you that it is. Yeah, I just hate that it is a longer Zelda game.

NotAllThatEvil
Skyward sword isn't even that good. I found WW and Tp more enjoyable than it.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
Skyward sword isn't even that good. I found WW and Tp more enjoyable than it. The mere suggestion TP compares is heretical. Get out of my house.

NotAllThatEvil
the dungeons and story are better, But the over world is ridiculous. skyloft is the most disappointing aspect of the game and that was the part they advertised the most.

ScreamPaste
Skyloft was smaller in game than I would have liked but frankly, the game made up for it over and over with the overworld on the surface being covered with obstacles, rather than simply something you walk through. The setting did it justice with the surface world not being inhabitable.

The dungeons and story were better too, yes, but another thing that bears mentioning is the combat in general. SS was the progression the combat should have taken right after OoT and MM introduced the ability to control your striking angle, and how it influenced getting past certain enemies' guards. Why it took a literal decade to finally follow up I have no idea, but I really hope this is still a present mechanic in Zelda U.

WW gets a pass on being very easy because it came before TP by three years and also because it's story and dungeons were a lot more interesting. WW had shining points that make the flaws easy to overlook, TP just felt like a repeat of Zelda's greatest hits.

SS actually sits very, very high with me on my tier list of games I liked. It's in between OoT and WW for me.

NotAllThatEvil
the surface was completely uninhabitable...except for the several races that inhabited it. if hylia was more worried about the sword swinging hylians the gopher bushes being destroyed, she needs to look at her priorities. and would it kill them to have more than one dungeon and boss in the sky? ALSO they brought back the windfish....

ScreamPaste
Don't talk shit about Levias, his section was cool as ****. I love all the references to older Zelda games in SS, made my life. SS had a self aware quality that was really enjoyable.

And of the three races on the surface, one is extinct, one is gorons, and one is basically the pet race of the local diety. No game that let's you Skydive on to Satan's head and drive a nail into his skull with your sword can be bad. It's the law.

NotAllThatEvil
I'm not saying its a bad game, just that I had more fun with WW and Tp.

ares834
Majority concensus (including the preliminary verdict you already have) would tell you that it is.

Eh...

I wouldn't say that.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by ares834
Eh...

I wouldn't say that.

It's just what I gather. I don't hear many say otherwise, and I wouldn't myself.

ares834
Go look at gameFAQs or check the user score on metacritic. Seems TP is far more liked.

ScreamPaste
TP is the most critically overrated game in the Zelda series, lol.

Sacred 117
Go look at gameFAQs or check the user score on metacritic. Seems TP is far more liked.

Or I could just talk to real people... like I usually do.

ares834
And get a terrible sample sure. thumb up

Sacred 117

I guess two oddly specific sources would work better?

The Scenario

GameFAQs and metacritic aren't exactly reliable sources, either. Heck, quanchi posted an IGN review of Skyward Sword that gave it 10/10 and called it a complete masterpiece.

I tend to distrust these things is what I'm saying, IGN included.

Sacred 117
GameFAQs and metacritic aren't exactly reliable sources, either. Heck, quanchi posted an IGN review of Skyward Sword that gave it 10/10 and called it a complete masterpiece.

thumb up

I wouldn't call it perfect myself (still objectively better than TP), but I can see where they're coming from.

The important thing is to think for yourself on these things, even if you heard it somewhere else first. Because even the most concise, refined, or profound review of anything is still just someone else's opinion.

ares834
I guess two oddly specific sources would work better?

Oddly specific? Metacritic is the biggest user review site I know and GameFAQs the largest video game forum I know of.

MetaCritic and GameFAQs provide a large sample size while IGN's review is a single person's thoughts on the matter. Not saying they are perfect however, nor am I claiming TP is better than SS just using it to show that people seem to prefer TP over SS.

still objectively better than TP

"Objectively better" lol get the f*** out with that s***. It's nothing more than your subjective opinion.

Sacred 117
Oddly specific? Metacritic is the biggest user review site I know and GameFAQs the largest video game forum I know of.

And they're the two of many that you decided to cite, and they just so happen to agree with you? What a f**king coincidence. thumb down

But you basically did say that.

If you didn't butcher my post, you would have caught my end statement clarifying that. (Hell, this entire conversation is on a matter of subjectivity. Hence your prolonging it.)

NemeBro
At no point did ares say he thought SS is better than TP.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by NemeBro
At no point did ares say he thought SS is better than TP.
Gross. SS is one of the only Zelda games that I think is legitimately bad. The game is so damn tedious and Fi is hands down the worst Zelda side kick.

I know it says "one of", but I otherwise don't understand why he'd be so militant about it.

ares834
And they're the two of many that you decided to cite, and they just so happen to agree with you? What a f**king coincidence. thumb down

If you have a source with a large sample size that disagrees post it. I just used two of the largest and easiest sources to find. I don't care enough to cherry pick through the internet especially since I find both to be subpar games.

But you basically did say that.

Where? I just said that TP seems to be the more universally liked game.

ares834
I know it says "one of", but I otherwise don't understand why he'd be so militant about it.

And? Even if I do think SS is the worse game what does that prove exactly? I never claimed it was objectively worse or any such bull shit. I just disagreed with you statement that more people like SS. And no, after replaying it I've come to think that TP was quite a mess as well.

Sacred 117
You could have left it at that too, but you had to get arrogant about it. When citing those two sources as "proof", aren't you essentially putting your trust into them? And when claiming personal indifference, does that not conflict with your entire argument (as in why you would to begin with)? If it truly doesn't matter to you, why not leave it the f**k alone?

On the subject of objectivity, when put to thought, it's little more than educated subjectivity, and it's by no means something to get pissy about when used in casual discussion. Yes, it's still just an opinion, but the difference is in how it's formed. Rather than leaving something at "OMG, 10/10!" or "Eh, it's OK." or "This sucks! I don't like it!", someone decides to draw a conclusion based qualitatively observable variables, and IT MAKES SENSE.

If my sincere use of the term to express how I genuinely feel about the subject matter did somehow offend you, I'm sorry (for your being upset, not my honesty). Though, seriously, you can't blame me for that. haermm

NemeBro
You said that most people think Skyward Sword is better than Twilight Princess.

Unless you have some evidence to counteract ares' you have no argument.

Sacred 117
You said that most people think Skyward Sword is better than Twilight Princess.

Unless you have some evidence to counteract ares' you have no argument.

To which I replied...

It's just what I gather. I don't hear many say otherwise, and I wouldn't myself.

NemeBro
Fight me.

ScreamPaste
Regardless of how polarizing it is, SS is objectively the superior game to TP.

Sacred 117
Fight me.

estahuh

Regardless of how polarizing it is, SS is objectively the superior game to TP.

thumb up

Bentley

Impediment
Twilight Princess>Wind Waker>Skyward Sword.

Wii Motion Plus ruined SS for me.

NemeBro
Maybe you shouldn't have been a lazy bum and bought a controller with it built in?

Also, lol at the very notion that an unoriginal shitfest with the most boring overworld ever like TP could even compare to Wind Waker.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by Impediment

Wii Motion Plus ruined SS for me. Get out of my house.

ares834
Twilight Princess>Wind Waker>Skyward Sword

no

WW>>>>>>TP+SS

NemeBro
Maybe you shouldn't have been a lazy bum and bought a controller with it built in?

Also, lol at the very notion that an unoriginal shitfest with the most boring overworld ever like TP could even compare to Wind Waker.

This was lazily worded, it should be more like:

"Maybe you shouldn't have been a lazy bum? Maybe you should have bought a controller with Wii Motion Plus built into it instead of just installing it to your old one?"

ScreamPaste
no

WW>>>>>>TP+SS I think you mean that SS > WW > TP.

Two great games and one mediochre one.

ares834
Nah. One excellent game and two mediocre.

ScreamPaste
Nah. One excellent game and two mediocre. WW is not a mediochre game, especially not for the time it was released.

Lek Kuen
All three are pretty bad

ares834
WW is not a mediochre game, especially not for the time it was released.

thumb up

Indeed. It's excellent.

Sadly the same can not be said for SS or TP.

ScreamPaste
thumb up

Indeed. It's excellent.

Sadly the same can not be said for SS or TP.
Well I know you weren't calling SS mediochre, since you'd have to be be some kind of moron to do so, so you're clearly bad at math,

ares834
Correct, I didn't. I called it "mediocre".

ScreamPaste
That would make you some kind of moron or something, though, are you freely admitting to as much?

ares834
I'm a moron for calling a bad game bad? I mean if you enjoy a game where some annoying character interrupts you every minute to tell you that she put a beetle in your bag that's fine by me. Personally, though, I prefer games that don't constantly hold your hand.

ScreamPaste
So you are indeed freely admitting to being a moron. You should probably work on your self esteem or something. Also stop implying the best game of 2011 is bad.

ares834
I'm not implying anything. I'm straight up saying it. And you're the one calling me a moron? roll eyes (sarcastic)

ScreamPaste
To say Skyward Sword is bad would indeed require you to be a moron. thumb up

ares834
Cool story bro. Perhaps if you say it a few more times you may actually convince yourself.

ScreamPaste
I'm already convinced you're a moron, I need no more evidence. I thank you for your dedication.

NemeBro
So you are indeed freely admitting to being a moron. You should probably work on your self esteem or something. Also stop implying the best game of 2011 is bad. He didn't say Skyrim was bad.

Dramatic Gecko
Skyward Sword is better for more Zelda Lore but Wind Waker I hear is really good and Sword was pretty average as far as Zelda goes.

ScreamPaste
He didn't say Skyrim was bad. I said the best game of 2011. Not the most overrated of all time. estahuh

Impediment
FYI, I bought the golden Zelda edition Wii controller with Wii Motion Plus built in for Skyward Sword, and not the cubed attachment.

thumb down

Bentley

Wii Motion Plus ruined SS for me.

I gotta side with Nemebro on this, while you can believe what you want between SS and TP, Windwaker is just so above TP it isn't even funny.

Dramatic Gecko
Reviews disagree. but I need to play WW for myself. From what I understand its near TP or above its level but doesn't compete with Ocarina and Majora.

NotAllThatEvil
nothing competes with ocarina, NOTHING!

Bentley
Originally posted by Dramatic Gecko
From what I understand its near TP or above its level but doesn't compete with Ocarina and Majora.

Most negative opinions I've seen are from people who dislike the cell-shaded graphics and still have a grudge against WW. Check their respective Famitsu scores, there are some reviewers that didn't jump on the "best Zelda ever" wagon from the get to go.

I just think sailing in the gigantic sea of WW spells epic adventure in a way very few games have achieved.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Dramatic Gecko
Reviews disagree. but I need to play WW for myself. From what I understand its near TP or above its level but doesn't compete with Ocarina and Majora. Actually it's better than Ocarina and comparable to Majora.

ScreamPaste
Actually it's better than Ocarina and comparable to Majora.
Whoa, whoa, let's not go making claims games are better than OoT now, that kind of thing takes a scientific mind and years of research.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.