The official writers thread.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stanor
So we can stop going off topic in other threads and discuss it here instead.

Share ideas, find a co writer, do anything you want as long as it's on topic.

Elmo vs. Pillsbury Doughboy
Dr. Eggman vs. Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Drizzet vs Eragon

That's a few ideas that came to mind.

Sacred 117
I knew this was going to happen eventually, so I commend your initiative.

ScreamPaste
I suggest we work on threads that have happened. Ganon v.s. Russel Edgington Battlezone is a good place to start. mmm

Sacred 117
Let's keep in mind that we don't have to limit ourselves to 'VS one-shots', even if it did inspire our collective collaboration.

Also, I don't think Ganon vs. Russell could/would be reasonably interesting enough.

Stanor
It can be anything you want.

NemeBro
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
I suggest we work on threads that have happened. Ganon v.s. Russel Edgington Battlezone is a good place to start. mmm Already claimed it.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by NemeBro
Already claimed it.

Then you two should work something out.

ScreamPaste
The only thing that needs working out is that Neme needs to actually write the story haermm Still waiting on Paul Bunyan v.s. C'Thulhu.

Sacred 117
Since this thread is basically about fanfiction, have any of you ever seen 'There Will Be Brawl'?

The Scenario
I've seen it.

I also disagree with the relative power levels but No One Cares.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by The Scenario
I've seen it.

I also disagree with the relative power levels but No One Cares.

Of course they don't. No one who's concerned about a meaningful narrative should preoccupy themselves with such relative trivialities. (Hence the Naruto series' qualitative decline.)

Anyways, what'd you think of the series itself? As a lifelong avid Smash fan and aspiring creator, I personally loved it. I'll detail my opinion further as discussion progresses.

The Scenario
I consider it a challenge to stay consistent with lore/power, but I digress.

I enjoyed it overall, though it was not without issues. Seemed like it was trying too hard to be grimdark at points and some things (like Peach) just came off a funny rather than creepy. Alternate character interpretations bug me, though most of them were pretty okay. While Samus being a stripper is a cute in-joke about Metroid endings, it kind of stops making sense when she pulls the Power Suit out of nowhere. (In a city this rife with crime, a bounty hunter needs to strip to make ends meet?)

Just minor things like that. I thought the series was hilarious, though the end was a little meh.

Sacred 117
I consider it a challenge to stay consistent with lore/power, but I digress.

I enjoyed it overall, though it was not without issues. Seemed like it was trying too hard to be grimdark at points and some things (like Peach) just came off a funny rather than creepy. Alternate character interpretations bug me, though most of them were pretty okay. While Samus being a stripper is a cute in-joke about Metroid endings, it kind of stops making sense when she pulls the Power Suit out of nowhere. (In a city this rife with crime, a bounty hunter needs to strip to make ends meet?)

Just minor things like that. I thought the series was hilarious, though the end was a little meh.

If you want to get technical, they do stay consistent with Smash lore (the one that matters, in this context). 131

I agree that, as much as I'd wish to say otherwise, it's not without shortcoming (no work of art is), but I am glad to say that I find it's achievements heavily outweigh them. As a fellow writer/artist/creator, I can't help but be thoroughly impressed with the level of thought and effort put into the story, atmosphere, and characters. You would think that those behind it would inevitably display some level of bias when it comes to this, but they were remarkably objective with the decision making. Despite their admitted initial deficit in resources, they did well with what they had to appropriately represent everyone and everything as per the direction and vision.

Sure, there were some cinematographic issues along with a few minor inconsistencies in costume and practical effects quality, but I knew what I was getting into when deciding to watch an independent fan film. I was aware going into this that I couldn't expect absolutely everything to be hyper-realistic (though, the Mario and Zelda roster serve as positive examples). Although, some of the costumes and character presentations (the Kirby, Starfox, and Pokemon casts) were slightly distracting when I first saw them, but the moment soon came and went, as I was so engrossed and invested in the plot that I found myself easily able to seamlessly disconcern myself with it.

Admittedly, I didn't know it was classified as a parody darkfic the first time watching, but I'm amazed to see just how well it actually worked. I honestly thought it was mostly drama-intensive at first, but now I'm actually considering rewatching with adjusted expectations to see what it does differently (if anything) for my experience. As it stands, though, I'm glad it turned out the way it did. To see such a rare, unlikely combination pulled off like this honestly takes care of most personal issues one could have. If you don't find something disturbing or serious, you'll likely find it hilarious, and vice-versa. That said, that darkness in the air is balanced well enough with the humor that it doesn't keep you from taking it seriously.

Personally, I found the narrative darkness to be its greatest selling point, and it's the very thing that grasped my attention from the moment I hit 'play' and held on to it to the rolling of the credits. The decision to deconstuctively set everything in a noir-style AU is nothing short of imaginative and original, and most of the characters' assigned roles, despite the requirement for some of them to operate out-of-character, made sense, even if I don't wholeheartedly agree with all of them. The intriguing concepts, engaging plot, well-written dialogue and sequences, and performances, most of which were incredibly convincing, captivating, believable, and even powerful at times (especially Mario), simply demand praise, and it could be said that they very well deserve it.

To sum it up, I can easily say, with absolute certainty, that this is the greatest, most refined work of fanfiction I've ever spent my attention on, and I'm glad to have done it. It's an absolute treat for Smash fans, and I would recommend that anyone who calls themselves such see it, even if they only see it once.

Now, to address your personal points, Samus briefly explained that bounties were "dry", hence her and Captain Falcon having to make career compromises. You actually said it yourself; corruption, avarice, and animosity are basically the remaining driving forces and governing laws of the Mushroom Kingdom, which is now running on a shittacular economy, so who's left to put out bounties? The law certainly wasn't going to do it since they were half f**king dirty anyways, and even if they did want to spend money they didn't have to just shoot themselves in the foot like that, their offer would simply be superseded by that any of the four Dons. In which case, they could just as well buy off law enforcement monetarily or informatively (which is practically what happened).

In fact, if you want to look at it that way, it makes even less sense that the Starfox cast was under no one's employ (You know, since they're mercenaries?), and instead, they were diminished (again, by way of economic downturn) to petty black arms dealers stationed in immigrant ghetto. I mean, you would think that the Dons would at least want some hired guns around, but they reasonably didn't believe they would need it. Besides, I'm OK with it for the sake of fluid plot continuity.

Sadly, I do kind of agree with you here on the 'Silence of the Lambs'-esque ending. I get what they were trying to do with it, but I just personally would have preferred the conclusion to provide us with at least a slightly greater sense of closure and completion. Still, I was ultimately satisfied, so I'm not complaining.

Lek Kuen
Bunch of dorks

Sacred 117
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
Bunch of dorks

Lek's here. Now, join us and contribute to the dorkery, or forever eate mah bawlz. estahuh

Lek Kuen
I have written fan fiction in ages. And nowadays I don't really write in that format much over writing for other mediums.

The Scenario
I'd need a topic first.

Sacred 117
I'd need a topic first.

I'm sure we can think of something...

ScreamPaste
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=583456

I'm ScreamPaste. I'm helping.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=583456

I'm ScreamPaste. I'm helping.

Oh, God! I remember this. ("This is the greatest debate of all time."wink We even discussed writing it, in fact. Good call, man. haermm

Sacred 117
Hey, Scen! If it interests you at all, I have two things that I've just been letting sit for a while: a possible 'RWBY' X-over following the events of another unrelated fic as sort of a tie-in -OR- a dramatic 'Smash'-fic meant to directly predate that. (See where I'm going with this?)

If I can't/don't find a co-writer, I'll probably just end up putting them off for a while longer. (Hell, as it is, I'm probably doing to much already. Lol.) Anyways, just thought I would propose this, in case you wanted in. Just let me know something.

The Scenario
Perhaps!

I'm okay with co-writing things.

Sacred 117
I hoped you would be. I mean, isn't that kinda the point of this thread? haermm

Anyways, sweet! Just get back to me later to let me know what you'd be more interested in. big grin

The Scenario
Probably the Smash Bros. one, I guess.

Sacred 117
Alright. I'll be thinking on that one. I ask that you do the same. PM me any ideas you may have.

XanatosForever
I took part in a Smash RP back when All is Brawl was a thing. Took on the role of Marth and played him so straight it hurt, complete with translation issues since he only speaks goddamn Japanese. haermm I had fun with that extremely brief romp.

Sacred 117
That sounds f**king awesome! thumb up

Uh... 'All Is Brawl'?

The Scenario
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/846/760/e17.gif

Sacred 117
Scen, Scream, I'm afraid I my not be able to join the writing process for about 2-4 weeks. I had to get my laptop sent off for repairs. Sorry, guys. sad

The Scenario
That's alright, you've been a big help regardless. Hopefully your computer will be done soon, though.

Sacred 117
Yeah. In the meantime, I guess I'll treat this as a good opportunity to draw, research (meaning "game", lol), whatever. Still, I look forward to pushing narrative with y'all again as soon as possible.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.